2015-2016 University of Rochester Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
survived the axe.... for now....
complete 9/3 so who knows. my status has said "Your application is ready!" does this change at all?

Members don't see this ad.

thankfully this rejection didn't hit me right in the feels - complete 9/4

EDIT: Is it just me or does Rochester have THE most pompous rejection letter ever!?

"Rochester values "patient-centered" medicine and we are particularly interested in applicants who have extended themselves well beyond their comfort zone. This often includes extensive volunteer or work activities with people from different cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds, both in their local communities and elsewhere, far beyond the campus environment."

They might as well follow up with: "NO, you can't sit with us!"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it just me or does Rochester have THE most pompous rejection letter ever!?

"Rochester values "patient-centered" medicine and we are particularly interested in applicants who have extended themselves well beyond their comfort zone. This often includes extensive volunteer or work activities with people from different cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds, both in their local communities and elsewhere, far beyond the campus environment."

They might as well follow up with: "NO, you can't sit with us!"

Personally, I disagree; I think it's nice that they tell you what they're looking for so that you have an idea of what you should improve on if you end up applying again

Got an II invite here last week. OOS
Complete early August
LOI sent in October
II date in Mid January.
There are several open II dates in February.

For those who have not received an II yet and also survived the recent rejection waves, maintain your hope and sanity. :)

Reactions: 6 users
I haven't read too far back in the thread. Has anyone sent an update letter vs. a letter of intent (if they accept personal updates)?

I got an interview invite today at 9:15. Still dates available in February. LizzyM of 70, IS, complete early September.

Hi friends! I withdrew my interview invite today, hopefully one of you gets it :) Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
OMGGG II THIS MORNING!! Friends who were complete 4+ months ago, don't lose hope! I was complete 7/14 :O
SO EXCITED!!

Reactions: 8 users
Finally got the axe after being complete since 7/4. IS, LizzyM 66-70, strong research and humanities background. Sent an ITA e-mail and two big updates since being complete. Good morning to you too, Rochester.

Am I going to be the only person not rejected who doesnt get an II? Thats what it feels like from reading this thread :/

Am I going to be the only person not rejected who doesnt get an II? Thats what it feels like from reading this thread :/

Nope, you're not alone. I've been in the same position since early July. Silence is better than a rejection :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning! Complete 7/31 so there is hope for everyone! Lots of dates available in Feb. LizzyM 70-72 OOS, strong research

Me dodging Rochester's waves of rejections like
Rochester.gif

pls forgive my poor editing skills.....>__>

.....I really hope I did not just jinx myself LOL

Reactions: 9 users
Rejected! Second one of the morning. What day did you say it is? Monday? Yeah, that seems about right.

Canceling my II, hope it goes to one of yall!

Rejected today. This was my top choice and I felt my application aligned with Rochester's ideals and mission perfectly. IS, LizzyM ~67, complete mid-August.

Congratulations and good luck to the future doctors who attend Rochester!

Got rejected as I was entering another interview earlier today lol

Interviewed November 6th, and they told us we would hear around Christmas time... This could either really make or break the holiday! Anyone else who interviewed around that time heard back yet?

complete date?
also (from your sig.) you applied to 50 schools?! :confused:
Complete sometime during the first week of July! I survived all the other mass rejections so it kind of hurts that I didn't get an II in the end.
(And yes, I applied to a total of 54 MD schools but apparently it's not helping me seeing that I've already accumulated 20+ rejections LOL)

Rejected 12/10, OOS, app complete 8/15

513MCAT (11,10,14,10), 3.97 masters gpa, lower ugpa

Last edited:
Rejected by emailed today. Complete mid July (after waiting this long it's not like I didn't see this coming), LizzyM 72-74. Womp womp.

Just withdrew my application/interview invite! Good luck to all of you :)

And for those with early submission dates, keep up hope! I submitted late July and received an II early this month (December).
GPA: 3.7, MCAT 32, extensive global health work

Received an II this evening! LizzyM 72, OOS. Application was complete 7/24.

Very surprised to get this, especially now during the winter holidays. Thought the long silence meant I was going to be rejected.

Can anyone who has already interviewed tell me what the group discussion is like? Never heard of this being done at interviews.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anybody know if Rochester preclinical grading is pass/fail? I found this on MSAR:"All courses except the required clinical clerkships are graded Pass/Fail. Clerkships are graded Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail", but I coulda sworn that they said H/P/F on interview day.

Last edited:
Does anybody know if Rochester preclinical grading is pass/fail? I found this on MSAR:"All courses except the required clinical clerkships are graded Pass/Fail. Clerkships are graded Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail", but I coulda sworn that they said H/P/F on interview day.

It is completely pass/fail in the preclinical courses - I'm pretty positive its not even ranked

Any recommendations which hotel to book?

Hey, so I have an interview coming up in mid January and I was wondering if there are any current U of R students who could personal message me and share about their feelings about the school?
It is one of my top choices and at other schools I have been admitted to I know quite a few current medical school students which helped solidify my opinion of the school. Any advice about program, curriculum, research opportunities, general feelings about the school etc. would be much appreciated.

I have read the "student-to-student" guide on the website and looked over the entire curriculum but would really appreciate some advice from a current student. Thank you in advance.

Is Rochester receptive to pre-interview grade/coursework updates? If so, would I just email the general admissions email?

Is Rochester receptive to pre-interview grade/coursework updates? If so, would I just email the general admissions email?
They are very receptive. I emailed mine to [email protected] and they confirmed by email three weeks later that they added it to my file.

Just withdrew my II today. I hope it goes to one of you! I would have loved an opportunity to check out the school, but when taking into account my SO and other things, I just highly doubted I'd attend this school over the one I have (I can't just move him somewhere...his occupation is location dependent and Chicago is better for him).

Hey, so I have an interview coming up in mid January and I was wondering if there are any current U of R students who could personal message me and share about their feelings about the school?
It is one of my top choices and at other schools I have been admitted to I know quite a few current medical school students which helped solidify my opinion of the school. Any advice about program, curriculum, research opportunities, general feelings about the school etc. would be much appreciated.

I have read the "student-to-student" guide on the website and looked over the entire curriculum but would really appreciate some advice from a current student. Thank you in advance.

I would love some input on this as well!!

Just got an II! Totally thought I wouldn't since I've been complete since the end of July and hadn't heard anything. Thought I was a good candidate but wondering if maybe my interview is so late because I went there for undergrad? Not sure if that makes any sense. Any other alums know if that's a thing?

II today. I had initially thought I was a good fit, but then gave up hope. LizzyM74. Interviewing in February.

Reactions: 2 users
Surprised to get an II today. Will probably withdraw because I can't make it with my work schedule unfortunately! I wanted to see NY dang it!!