2015-2016 University of Texas - Galveston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone had luck with sending in updates? I don't remember them mentioning it at the interview/if they're open to receiving them (EX: shadowing hours, a pdf copy of your transcript you updated on TMDSAS, etc)

Usually you can do this on secondaries but seeing as UTMB doesn't have one I was hoping someone could shed some light on this!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! As match day for medical school is right around the corner, I just wanted to bring to your attention a potential housing opportunity offered through Phi Chi at UTMB. We are a co-ed fraternity with 30+ medical students ranging from first years to fourth years. A huge benefit to living at Phi Chi is the fellowship and community you will develop with everyone here. The upperclassmen offer personal, valuable advice and you have that support system with you all throughout medical school, so you never feel alone or out of place. If there is ever a question you might have, for example, on how you should study for the new board exams, you will have people here guiding you every step of the way so you do not feel like you are in the dark. We consider each other family and are there for each other through the rigors of medical school. Along with this, you develop your group of friends who you can sit with in class, hang out with outside of class, and most importantly connect with. We all care for each other at Phi Chi and want to continue that community atmosphere for years to come. You will not regret becoming a Phi Chi.

There are a ton of additional benefits as well.

· You get your own room private room with your own private bathroom.

· We offer 10 fresh and healthy meals a week included with your rent which are prepared daily by our in house chef (lunch and dinner M-F). There is a weekly menu sent out with everything that will be cooked that week so you have an idea on what you can expect. If you have special dietary restrictions (going on a paleo diet), or just do not like something in particular (I hate cilantro), you can let our chef know and he will make special accommodations for you. And if you are at clinic or if you can’t make it that day for lunch or dinner, you can let someone at the house know and a Tupperware will be packed up for you so you can eat whenever you get back.

· All bills paid (water, electricity, washer/dryer, internet, cable, trash, you name it) are included in your rent.

· All of the amenities such as our pool, hot tub, theater room, and house library are included as well.

· Riding a bike can get you to campus in around 5 minutes. The local bank, grocery store, and Whataburger are all 1-2 minute walking distance from Phi Chi and the field house is about 3-4 minutes if you walk. For most of your transportation needs, a bike and a lock will do, which we can keep locked up inside the main house.

· We are pet friendly.

Rooms at Phi Chi start at $420 a month and different room options are available such as double rooms for more space or rooms with a full kitchen. We always have more applications than spots available so make sure you apply early. I cannot think of a better deal in Galveston compared to this. There is an interview process as well. If you are already pre-matched to UTMB and know for sure that this is where you want to attend medical school, I recommend putting in an application if Phi Chi sounds like the place for you. Come match day and you know you want to attend medical school at UTMB, you are welcome to do the same. Even if you are not sure where you might want to live here in Galveston, I still recommend putting in an application if you are at least considering Phi Chi. Good luck to all future first years. I wish you all luck on match day and hope to see you at UTMB. For more information with housing at Phi Chi, please visit our website at http://www.phichizeta.com/housing

To ask about the application process, please email us at [email protected]

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
So excited for UTMB! Hope I get in on Match Day!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I was prematched here in December, and accepted the offer via MyStar portal. I thought I could wait to fill criminal background forms and white coat documents until a couple of weeks before matriculation, but I noticed today that the acceptance letter mentioned the forms must be filled max. two weeks after the offer. Has everyone filled the form already ?

Has anyone found a means to send any sort of update? I interviewed rather early, and I'm disappointed the committee might make their decision without some truly important updates that came in the past few months! (Apologies if I missed the answer to this earlier in the thread).

I remember Therassa mentioned that I could send in updates to her directly but that was after match. You should email her and ask.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone, I was prematched here in December, and accepted the offer via MyStar portal. I thought I could wait to fill criminal background forms and white coat documents until a couple of weeks before matriculation, but I noticed today that the acceptance letter mentioned the forms must be filled max. two weeks after the offer. Has everyone filled the form already ?
I filled the forms but only sent them in last week so you should be fine. I think they just wanna avoid the hordes of students that'll send their stuff in after match day

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I have a question about the interview process and I was hoping someone could clear things up for me. When I had my interview, I asked one of the UTMB students about how much the interview factors into the admissions decision. This student told me the interview, by their understanding, had no real impact and that it was simply for "fact checking." I thought this was really odd and it's been bugging me since my interview. It didn't help that when I was leaving my first interview, my interviewer made a comment about how she doesn't understand how they pick which students to accept and that it must be really difficult with the ranking system. The student explained to me that all students are ranked prior to their interview and that the number doesn't change much after your interview unless you completely blew them out of the park or completely bombed it. Otherwise, you stay where you're at

Sorry if I'm being super paranoid, but if anyone has any clarification on this I would really appreciate it!
I was told they rate interviews using 7 different categories with up to 5 points each. In total you can get up to 35 points!!!! and that's how they factor interviews into the process.

Reactions: 3 users
Rumor has it that UTMB releases Match info at midnight - anyone wanna corroborate?

Rumor has it that UTMB releases Match info at midnight - anyone wanna corroborate?

If you don't here from me it means I didn't get in and will be sitting in the shower as hot water pours over me washing away my tears

If you don't here from me it means I didn't get in and will be sitting in the shower as hot water pours over me washing away my tears

Awws noo. I have great hopes all of us will get in where we want to go!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish you all the best of luck. I was not accepted the first year I applied. If that does end up happening to any one of you (hopefully not), just stay strong and determined. You will succeed if this is what you really want.

I wish you all the best of luck. I was not accepted the first year I applied. If that does end up happening to any one of you (hopefully not), just stay strong and determined. You will succeed if this is what you really want.

If tenacity is what they're looking for I've got it in spades :D. I literally don't know if my heart can take a 4th application cycle if I get rejected this time. I'll let you all know how I fare come midnight! I really hope everyone still waiting gets in :)

If tenacity is what they're looking for I've got it in spades :D. I literally don't know if my heart can take a 4th application cycle if I get rejected this time. I'll let you all know how I fare come midnight! I really hope everyone still waiting gets in :)

Respect right here. Really rooting for you.

Have no idea, but based on what happened with pre-matches, I wouldn't be shocked.

"Individual match results will be posted on the TMDSAS application at 8:00 AM (CT) February 1."

Okay, that's good to know about the TMDSAS system. But I would be willing to bet UTMB sends an email...

"Individual match results will be posted on the TMDSAS application at 8:00 AM (CT) February 1."
Do you know if UTMB sends any emails on midnight or do they come after the posting on TMDSAS at 8 AM?

Nope.
No email and no status change on TMDSAS. We're in for a sleepless night till 8:00 AM.

Ditto, nada on TMDSAS (to be expected). See ya'll at 8! Ugh I'm in for a sleepless night.

2.5 hrs, guys! :p (Though, I will probably not get to find out whether I made it or not till some time much later because I'm headed out for an 8.5 hr shift in a sec).

matched! is this real life?

Last edited:

Last edited:
OH MY GOD GUYS I DID IT. I ACTUALLY DID IT. IM CRYING RIGIT NOW I GOT IN. I r been trying for 7 years to get in this doesn't seem real. I had to pull over because I'm literally bawling my eyes out right now. Oh my god

Reactions: 18 users
I got an email at 7 AM CST from Theresa!

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!! ACCEPTED TO UTMB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I CANNOT BELIEVE THISSSSSSSSSSSSS

I'm so glad @txMed7 is my classmate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 16 users
Congrats to everyone who got in!

Does anyone know when the UTMB waitlist will be announced?

OH MY GOD GUYS I DID IT. I ACTUALLY DID IT. IM CRYING RIGIT NOW I GOT IN. I r been trying for 7 years to get in this doesn't seem real. I had to pull over because I'm literally bawling my eyes out right now. Oh my god
We were all rooting for you!!

So happy for all my future classmates!! Especially @texan2414 and @txMed7, I've been rooting for y'all from the start

Congrats everyone!!!! Class of 2020 :D Is that not the coolest year to be graduating medical school?!?

So happy for all my future classmates!! Especially @texan2414 and @txMed7, I've been rooting for y'all from the start

So excited to get my acceptance. Everything I've done in my life has led to this wonderful moment! I can't count how many blessings I have received in my life and so grateful for my parents, advisers, peers, and colleagues who have helped me along the way.

Accepted! interviewed IS 8/7 3.9/28, second time applying, and interviewed twice at UTMB

Reactions: 3 users