2015-2016 University of Texas - Galveston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone who didn't get in get any sort of "release of applicants" email? I'm sitting here sort of tortured at work because I haven't gotten an email and I can't access TMDSAS from my iPhone.

Did anyone who didn't get in get any sort of "release of applicants" email? I'm sitting here sort of tortured at work because I haven't gotten an email and I can't access TMDSAS from my iPhone.
Its a bit strange because I never received any release of applicants email from any of the schools that I didn't interview at. I hope you do find your favorable result when you are able to log into TMDSAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can somebody post the link to Class of 2020 facebook page?

Thanks,

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone else get an alternate pool email and then a second email saying it was rescinded? Know what that means?

I did haha
Like "just kidding you're not even waitlisted"

Reactions: 1 users
OOS, Got a waitlist email at 1:17 pm. Then at 1:18 I got a reply to this email that simply read "Silva, Theresa S. would like to recall the message, "UTMB Alternate Pool"." So I'm a little confused haha. Congrats to all those who got in!

OOS, Got a waitlist email at 1:17 pm. Then at 1:18 I got a reply to this email that simply read "Silva, Theresa S. would like to recall the message, "UTMB Alternate Pool"." So I'm a little confused haha. Congrats to all those who got in!
I received the same thing so not sure what it means. Not looking good for OOSers :(

I didn't even receive an interview and I got that waitlist email. It made my lunch a little more amusing, although if I didn't have an acceptance I can imagine "enraging" would've been a better adjective. How awk UTMB.

Reactions: 3 users
Sounds like someone messed up the email groups haha

So, they sent out alternate e-mails already?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like someone messed up the email groups haha
Not to be outdone, UT Houston felt it necessary to send me two rejection emails roughly 40 minutes apart. Thank you TX schools for finding a way to make match day memorable even for me as an OOSer!!

Reactions: 6 users
I am literally terrified now. I haven't gotten any type of email yet and I'm OOS. Maybe they are going to offer you acceptances soon and not wait list you. What if that wait list email should have been for me?

I'm freaking out!!! I love this school so much!!!

I'm in the same boat, and I'm IS. Clearly, something is up with the email groups. But seriously, I hope that gets resolved soon because the suspense is killing me over here.

I didn't even receive an interview and I got that waitlist email. It made my lunch a little more amusing, although if I didn't have an acceptance I can imagine "enraging" would've been a better adjective. How awk UTMB.
I DID get an interview but DID NOT get a waitlist email xD

Is logging in to the MyStar portal = binding matriculation? What if I got accepted to another school ?(just in case)
No, nothing is binding. I had that scare too lol

I got email #2 and email #3 with mySTAR information - was there any email #1?
Lol, wouldn't that be the acceptance e-mail?
Also, grats bro.

Is it supposed to say "incomplete" when you accept the offer on MyStar?

Is there any deposit we have to pay once we accept the offer?

I want to say congratulations to texan2414 and txMed7 on getting in this cycle. You two are truly an inspiration to reapplicants (I have been following you both like so many others and reading your stories gives me so much hope) and the best example for perseverance anyone could look for in this crazy thing we call applying to medical school. I have no doubt in my mind that you will both be some of the best doctors this state has produced.

I also just wanted to weigh in and note that I interviewed here and did not receive that waitlist email, and subsequent rescindment. I don't know what that means for me exactly. lol

Yay?

I did not match anywhere either so hopefully they will get everything properly lined up soon and we will get some notification. From last year's thread I think they sent out the alternate list email by Feb 5th.

Reactions: 5 users
I dont believe there are any deposits to make in Texas schools.

The only schools that do deposits are Texas Tech and PLFSOM.

Sorry, didn't know that. I was aware of all schools outside of TTU and North Texas and assumed it was a state rule.

I just got the email about the alternative pool. So does every person who didn't get accept get put into the alternative pool?

Last year the alternate pool was ~300, this year it's ~150.
That's definitely great news! I was part of the 300 pool of applicants last year, and of those only 5-10 got off. 150 is definitely looking better. Best of luck to all

Did they actually reject people this year or did more people just rank UTMB lower?
I don't know if utmb sends people that interviewed rejection letters. I think they let them figure it out on their own when they see ppl on sdn get into the alternate pool :/

Congratulations, what did you do different this time around?
Applied super early (hence the August interview). More hospital volunteering 200hrs. Kept my grades up, polished my essays. Feel free to snoop around my profile for more details. If you want further advice feel free to PM me

@texan2414 and @txMed7 and to all the other re-applicants, YA'L DID IT! I am insanely happy and proud of you all right now. I posted this video a couple of pages back but it's worth re-using (because I'm extremely cheesy and I love it).

Literally in my mind that sequence from 3:14 onward is a metaphor for the path ya'll went through to pursue your dream of getting your M.D. Perseverance breeds character. I truly believe that. You two will be phenomenal physicians.

Now that video goes out to @jcb0102 @docta_docta @njain546 and @Z K and anyone else who didn't match. If you want the M.D. it's there for you. Never give up hope and keep driving.

ZK I looked at your past posts. You have a 3.87 cGPA and a 34 MCAT and you've been rejected twice already (based on this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-classic-dreadlocks-question.1097258/#post-16864032 )

You need to figure out why. Talk to admissions committees right away and ask them for a review. UTMB does application reviews for those who are not accepted. Dr. Rabek will give you honest, candid advice, and the mere fact that you're reaching out to him will help you on a 3rd application cycle.

Both txmed7 and texan2414 were rejected in spite of phenomenal stats, but they persevered and ended up as success stories. That doesn't come free, though. You have to listen to what adcoms have to say about your application. Apply one more time, but do it right. Don't rush it.

If you apply with the exact same application because you feel you were "wronged" somehow, you're not going to see success. I noticed that you @Z K applied two years in succession during your first two attempts. Spend some time to improve your application in a manner that's consistent with what Dr. Rabek or other adcom's say, and THEN apply a 3rd time.

Reactions: 4 users
@texan2414 and @txMed7 and to all the other re-applicants, YA'L DID IT! I am insanely happy and proud of you all right now. I posted this video a couple of pages back but it's worth re-using (because I'm extremely cheesy and I love it).

Literally in my mind that sequence from 3:14 onward is a metaphor for the path ya'll went through to pursue your dream of getting your M.D. Perseverance breeds character. I truly believe that. You two will be phenomenal physicians.

Now that video goes out to @jcb0102 @docta_docta @njain546 and @Z K and anyone else who didn't match. If you want the M.D. it's there for you. Never give up hope and keep driving.

ZK I looked at your past posts. You have a 3.87 cGPA and a 34 MCAT and you've been rejected twice already (based on this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-classic-dreadlocks-question.1097258/#post-16864032 )

You need to figure out why. Talk to admissions committees right away and ask them for a review. UTMB does application reviews for those who are not accepted. Dr. Rabek will give you honest, candid advice, and the mere fact that you're reaching out to him will help you on a 3rd application cycle.

Both txmed7 and texan2414 were rejected in spite of phenomenal stats, but they persevered and ended up as success stories. That doesn't come free, though. You have to listen to what adcoms have to say about your application. Apply one more time, but do it right. Don't rush it.

If you apply with the exact same application because you feel you were "wronged" somehow, you're not going to see success. I noticed that you @Z K applied two years in succession during your first two attempts. Spend some time to improve your application in a manner that's consistent with what Dr. Rabek or other adcom's say, and THEN apply a 3rd time.

Well this video certainly takes me back a decade or so to being in high school football, haha. Thanks for the motivation. You are absolutely right. Nobody owes us this opportunity and sometimes you have to just keep pushing to make it happen. I have every intention of doing so. Good luck to everyone here that made it onto the alternate list!

Received the alternate pool email. Was sitting in my spam folder for some reason.
As mentioned in a previous sdn post, it says the alternate pool will have 150 applicants.

I got an email from UTMB saying I'm on the alternate list, but I matched to a school that I ranked higher than UTMB... Do schools not know how you ranked them? Or did something go wrong with my match preferences?

Anyone have any insight into this? Thanks!

Received alternate pool email earlier this morning, but it was also in Spam!

Last edited:
That's definitely great news! I was part of the 300 pool of applicants last year, and of those only 5-10 got off. 150 is definitely looking better. Best of luck to all
Can I ask how you know only 5-10 got accepted from it?

Thank you @vneuro for your kind words. Hard work and persistence definitely pays off!!

And yes, to those who didn't match or are waitlisted, be proactive and try to plan ahead - seek a file review from Dr. Rabek (I did that when my first application was unsuccessful). Besides retaking the MCAT for a better score, he gave me a few pointers on my Personal Statement and I really believed his feedback helped me.

Can I ask how you know only 5-10 got accepted from it?

I spoke to Ms. Tammy Bird on the phone a few months ago. She told me that traffic on the waitlist varies year by year, but it's usually 5-10 people. Based on last year's thread, there
was around 3 people (at least those that are active on sdn) that got off the waitlist (IS). She never disclosed the actual number.

I was in the alternate pool last year with no acceptances. I know exactly how some of you might feel. At many times I had wished that I got a flat out rejection from all the stress it put me through
despite staying optimistic about the possibility of getting in. Moral of the story: plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Last edited:
I spoke to Ms. Tammy Bird on the phone a few months ago. She told me that traffic on the waitlist varies year by year, but it's usually 5-10 people. Based on last year's thread, there
was around 3 people (at least those that are active on sdn) that got off the waitlist (IS). She never disclosed the actual number.

I was in the alternate pool last year with no acceptances. I know exactly how some of you might feel. At many times I had wished that I got a flat out rejection from all the stress it put me through
despite staying optimistic about the possibility of getting in. Moral of the story: plan for the worst and hope for the best.
Just asking because I figured the acceptances would be a little more than that since not everybody that gets pulled from the waitlists decides to accept it.

Hey guys! For those who were accepted recently on Monday, has anyone received the official acceptance letter/packet in the mail yet?

Hey guys! For those who were accepted recently on Monday, has anyone received the official acceptance letter/packet in the mail yet?
I haven't received anything yet.
Although, you should've already received enrollment emails to set up mySTAR - call the UTMB Help Desk to set up your student ID and password. You should also have access to UTMB webmail.

I haven't received anything yet.
Although, you should've already received enrollment emails to set up mySTAR - call the UTMB Help Desk to set up your student ID and password. You should also have access to UTMB webmail.
I got the mySTAR and email account set up already. Hoping the packet will come in soon!

I received mine today!

UTMBAcceptance.jpg

Note: I'm in Austin so maybe that contributes (in part) to the speedy delivery!

Got my Letter in the mail today as well :)