2015-2016 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! I'm still waiting. It seems they've passed me by. IS, LizzyM 73, complete 7/28 with good ECs.

Thank you and good luck!! Yeah I doubt there is any significant rhyme or reason to how they're going through completed apps. I know people who were verified after me but have already received decisions and vice-versa, so don't lose hope!

When does UVa send out their acceptances?

So of those accepted how srsly are y'all thinking of attending??
Or alternatively are you going to second look?

How late in the cycle are II's sent out? This is my absolute top top choice but I've heard nothing since August.

Reactions: 1 user
Just interviewed this week. Man, decisions will be in tomorrow! That's nuts! In a good way!
Anyone else interview this week? Was an awesome experience.

UVA was AMAZING. The interview day was definitely them selling themselves to us as much as it was us selling ourselves to them. The weather was gorgeous, the facilities were amazing, the people were so nice and helpful. Also, I really valued that there were only a few applicants in the interview day group. It made me feel like I could get my questions answered by the medical students and I could get to know the other interviewees. The tour was the best, most thorough, and most beautiful so far. Oh, and lunch was great.

As for the school itself, I like to put it like this: it is a doctor factory that cares about its students. There are plenty of medical schools out there that produce good physicians but they are kind of impersonal and "whatever" about their students to some extent. This is not true at UVA. They care about their students and want to ensure they have a good life and experience outside of school in addition to in school. The teaching style of this curriculum seems strong and flexible for many learning styles so that is nice.

I'm not one to be all detailed and nitpick a school and point out all of the little things about it but I felt that UVA's presentation warranted it and they showed me how much the little things matter to them. They really did a fantastic job on all fronts, the actual education and the interview day. Overall, UVA was pretty awesome. *please love me* lol Good luck to everyone on Friday!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed this week as well, and I loved the curriculum, facilities, and (most importantly) the people! Hoping for good news tomorrow!

Aaaaaaand...
Waitlisted.
I'm just glad that I didn't go all the way over to Virginia for no reason.
Well, I plan to hang on to this glimmer of hope until the very end.

accepted OOS; first acceptance! I'm gonna be a doctor!

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted today OOS...Very excited!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted OOS today! So happy! Loved this school!

Reactions: 5 users
Random question, but is UVA receptive to update letters?

Congrats to all those who have IIs, have already interviewed, and to those accepted!

Random question, but is UVA receptive to update letters?

Congrats to all those who have IIs, have already interviewed, and to those accepted!

They definitely are. I told my interviewer of some research work I had recently done, and he strongly recommended that I send an update e-mail, which was promptly added to my file the day before I got my acceptance.

Does anyone know approximately when merit scholarships will be announced? I was accepted roughly 3 weeks ago and am curious..

Reactions: 1 users
They definitely are. I told my interviewer of some research work I had recently done, and he strongly recommended that I send an update e-mail, which was promptly added to my file the day before I got my acceptance.

Thanks so much for your response! :)

Just withdrew my 12/9 interview, good luck to you all :)

Does anyone know approximately when merit scholarships will be announced? I was accepted roughly 3 weeks ago and am curious..
So they do have merit scholarships? How many and are they full tuition or what?

Just got an interview invite here - was complete 8/3. OOS, LizzyM 75.
They are currently scheduling interviews for early January.

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted! OOS, LizzyM 73. Brb. Crying. Congratulations everybody!

Reactions: 4 users
Do we know if any of these admissions offices will be open on Monday and Tuesday before Thanksgiving? So in short, should I get my hopes up or just enjoy the break? lol

Have a question:
I received the acceptance email yay and later the acceptance letter by mail. So what now? Is there another packet or something
that tells me what to do for Financial Aid, housing, etc?

I already confirmed my reservation and will likely attend UVA SOM.

You're not going to be able to do anything about financial aid until the end of January, at leas. You need to have tax returns, and you can't file those without W2s, and those don't generally get released until mid January.

As for housing, if you're absolutely committed, now is a good time to start searching for housing, since the apartments in Cville generally start renewing leases in October. You won't be eligible for the Range until your second year if you are not a current UVA student, so you won't be able to do on campus housing.

You're not going to be able to do anything about financial aid until the end of January, at leas. You need to have tax returns, and you can't file those without W2s, and those don't generally get released until mid January.

As for housing, if you're absolutely committed, now is a good time to start searching for housing, since the apartments in Cville generally start renewing leases in October. You won't be eligible for the Range until your second year if you are not a current UVA student, so you won't be able to do on campus housing.

Got it, thanks!

I saw something about post II updates, but I was wondering if UVA is receptive to update letters pre II?

Last edited:
II just now. IS, LizzyM ~72, complete 9/10. Yassssssssss!

Interview dates available starting in mid January.

Reactions: 5 users
Was taking a nap... Woke up to see an II. Complete 8/20 IS and LM is 73.

I'm about to be a puddle of anxiety come mid January haha

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Don't stress about financial aid too much. Unless things have drastically changed since I went there, the financial aid office will take very good care of you. In fact, that is one of the major factors that drew me there.

I went in with no financial resources and even had little to no trouble obtaining funding for an extra year for their MPH program.

I saw something about post II updates, but I was wondering if UVA is receptive to update letters pre II?
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. There isn't anything about updates on the secondary. Anyone have any thoughts?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. There isn't anything about updates on the secondary. Anyone have any thoughts?
I called about this a few weeks ago, and was told that they accept updates via email.

I called about this a few weeks ago, and was told that they accept updates via email.
Perfect, thank you so much! Did you get any sort of reply after your update, since they re-evaluate monthly?