2015-2016 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Currently working to figure out housing. I contacted the school today and was told that they were losing 4 floors of student housing in Lasdon and would be unable to offer the 1 and 2 bedroom apartments. The only option was a studio apartment, and not even that was guaranteed.

Can any current students comment on what percentage of the student population lives outside of Olin or Lasdon? My wife and I are looking for something close to the school but we are unsure how far away might be too far for the daily commute. We need larger than a studio to fit ourselves and our daughter so, unfortunately, it appears we won't be able to be accommodated in student or family housing.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!!!
 
Currently working to figure out housing. I contacted the school today and was told that they were losing 4 floors of student housing in Lasdon and would be unable to offer the 1 and 2 bedroom apartments. The only option was a studio apartment, and not even that was guaranteed.

Can any current students comment on what percentage of the student population lives outside of Olin or Lasdon? My wife and I are looking for something close to the school but we are unsure how far away might be too far for the daily commute. We need larger than a studio to fit ourselves and our daughter so, unfortunately, it appears we won't be able to be accommodated in student or family housing.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!!!

What?! That is pretty frightening. I will call them tomorrow. I'm from California and don't have a clue about NY...
 
Heads up - first years will most likely all have a spot in Olin if they want it. This is the one bedroom/shared bathroom deal you saw on interviews. I can't imagine a scenario where this is not an option.

Lasdon etc. is for second years and above, grad students, and families. Because of a housing shortage there may not be housing for couples if your SO is not affiliated with Cornell, and I'm uncertain what the status is for families.

Cornell just bought a lease on another building to help alleviate this problem and another building at Cornell Tech will be finished next summer. However the sentiment among administration has been med students would not go there (it's on Roosevelt island), rather grad students instead.
 
Heads up - first years will most likely all have a spot in Olin if they want it. This is the one bedroom/shared bathroom deal you saw on interviews. I can't imagine a scenario where this is not an option.

Thanks for the info! I don't want to seem high maintenance but I doubt anyone wants to share an Olin apartment with my wife and newborn baby.

The Cornell Facebook page members have been helpful in sharing that many students choose to live outside of provided housing and that prices can be comparable if you are splitting rent. The only concern I still have is deciding what my search radius would be i.e. how many blocks away would still be convenient to commute to school every day.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the info! I don't want to seem high maintenance but I doubt anyone wants to share an Olin apartment with my wife and newborn baby.

The Cornell Facebook page members have been helpful in sharing that many students choose to live outside of provided housing and that prices can be comparable if you are splitting rent. The only concern I still have is deciding what my search radius would be i.e. how many blocks away would still be convenient to commute to school every day.
So I work nearby and lived here awhile. Basically 10 blocks is ~15 min walk and every avenue is about 2.5 blocks. I think you should be focusing also on what transportation is nearby and then googling the length of transit. e.g. if you can get a place right next to m15 bus line but 40 blocks away, your commute could still be faster than living only 20 blocks away but further from bus or subway lines.
 
- There are a few apts in Olin on the corners that are basically one bedrooms. One person in my class lived there with her boyfriend. They have a small living room and bedroom with a private bathroom - no sharing. I wouldn't count on this though. Another two people in my class each are married (one has kids). They were able to get family housing, but again I don't know if you can count on this.

-Also, a number of classmates live on the west side and commute in, one even lives in Queens. This doesn't seem to be a big deal to these students but they are often the students that prefer to watch lectures pre-recorded, rather than attend every class.
 
- There are a few apts in Olin on the corners that are basically one bedrooms. One person in my class lived there with her boyfriend. They have a small living room and bedroom with a private bathroom - no sharing. I wouldn't count on this though. Another two people in my class each are married (one has kids). They were able to get family housing, but again I don't know if you can count on this.

-Also, a number of classmates live on the west side and commute in, one even lives in Queens. This doesn't seem to be a big deal to these students but they are often the students that prefer to watch lectures pre-recorded, rather than attend every class.
Thanks so much for the input!
 
Hey all! I just received my fin aid package and saw that health insurance cost is not included. On the website it states " Optional - May be waived with proof of comparable coverage from family."

So my question is:
1) I'm currently under family medicaid plan, is that "comparable coverage from family" to waive the Weill Cornell health insurance?
2) If not, do I need to request additional fin aid for the health insurance cost?

Thanks in advance!
 
Withdrew over the weekend. Definitely the toughest decision yet. Hope one of you gets the spot!
 
I was told that the class is full as of now. Does anybody know if the waitlist will typically move at this point and is there anybody that is still considering withdrawing?
 
This is a bit disheartening. I was on three waitlists so I didn't prepare any backup plan and I still haven't received any offer yet. I wish there was a way to get an idea of how likely it is that one would get accepted off the waitlist.
I'm so lost, I don't know what to do next year.
 
This is a bit disheartening. I was on three waitlists so I didn't prepare any backup plan and I still haven't received any offer yet. I wish there was a way to get an idea of how likely it is that one would get accepted off the waitlist.
I'm so lost, I don't know what to do next year.

I'm in the exact same situation! :/ You're not alone. Medical students and advisors have told me that, with the advent of MCAT2015, competition was especially rough this past cycle. Getting on the waitlist is an accomplishment, so don't forget to congratulate yourself! You must have really great potential. Don't be too hard on yourself!
As for what to do, I'm personally planning to reapply for the upcoming cycle, just in case. The past year has been rough on my self-confidence, but I took the old MCAT so I don't think it's wise for me to wait any longer. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess it's an achievement but I'm just despairing over what to do next year. I don't see much that I can do to improve my application either since I don't have a backup plan.
I really don't want to write the new MCAT and my score is already very good so I don't think I would get it higher anyway.

I've updated the adcom many times and gave them a strong letter of intent. I guess there's not much I could do anymore...
 
I guess it's an achievement but I'm just despairing over what to do next year. I don't see much that I can do to improve my application either since I don't have a backup plan.
I really don't want to write the new MCAT and my score is already very good so I don't think I would get it higher anyway.

I've updated the adcom many times and gave them a strong letter of intent. I guess there's not much I could do anymore...

Hang in there! Waitlists are not done moving yet. I don't think you should lose hope, but you should start preparing your app for submittal so that you don't lose a year in limbo.

I know that your application fee this year could potentially end up being a sunk cost, but I think it's worth the risk. You don't want to delay submitting your app in hopes of waitlist movement because it's only going to hurt your chances for the 2017 cycle.

Keep your chin up!
 
Hang in there! Waitlists are not done moving yet. I don't think you should lose hope, but you should start preparing your app for submittal so that you don't lose a year in limbo.

I know that your application fee this year could potentially end up being a sunk cost, but I think it's worth the risk. You don't want to delay submitting your app in hopes of waitlist movement because it's only going to hurt your chances for the 2017 cycle.

Keep your chin up!

I guess I could reapply.
I'm not sure how much stronger my application would be though and the money is also starting to be a problem for me. I was pretty tight on money this year and could only afford to apply to six schools and go to those interviews. But now that I've graduated, I won't be able to get any student loans. I'm not sure how I could financially survive next year if I have to apply/interview on top of feeding and sheltering myself.

Thanks for the words of encouragement though.
 
Alright I think I can plan to reapply.
But before I do, I think I want to wait just another while. I saw that the deadline to defer is June 1. Has anybody submitted a request to defer or is planning on doing so? And is there anybody who is still waiting on another school or may withdraw for another reason? I just want a better idea of what my chances are.

Avoiding a reapplication will be much easier on me financially. To save money this year, I got by on energy bars, plain noodles, and KD for at least half my meals and then crashed at my friends' places whenever I could. If I have to apply to more schools next year without any student loans, I might have to live on even less but I'm determined to do so.
My parents came to this country as immigrants so they had me pretty late and don't have high paying jobs. Since they are close to retirement now, I want them to save whatever money they can. They've already poured enough into me.
 
Alright I think I can plan to reapply.
But before I do, I think I want to wait just another while. I saw that the deadline to defer is June 1. Has anybody submitted a request to defer or is planning on doing so? And is there anybody who is still waiting on another school or may withdraw for another reason? I just want a better idea of what my chances are.

Avoiding a reapplication will be much easier on me financially. To save money this year, I got by on energy bars, plain noodles, and KD for at least half my meals and then crashed at my friends' places whenever I could. If I have to apply to more schools next year without any student loans, I might have to live on even less but I'm determined to do so.
My parents came to this country as immigrants so they had me pretty late and don't have high paying jobs. Since they are close to retirement now, I want them to save whatever money they can. They've already poured enough into me.

Hope for the best plan for the worst. You shouldn't based this on maybe one or two that might defer or withdraw. Let's be hopeful but even if some withdrawls doesn't mean you'll get the spot. You probably have to bank on the fact that person who withdraw is also a minority of your ethnic type as I would assume they would want to maintain the cultural diversity ratio. I'd say chances are pretty low at this point to not get started on the re-app asap.
 
I guess, there's also a financial aspect to that for me though.
I just found out that I have to start repaying my student loan next year at the same time...
I wish I started looking for a job earlier
Ugh
 
I guess, there's also a financial aspect to that for me though.
I just found out that I have to start repaying my student loan next year at the same time...
I wish I started looking for a job earlier
Ugh

Given your financial situation, have you applied for FAP? That covers for 15 schools and many schools waive the secondaries. Also, I saw scholarships that help with the cost of applying to medical school. I don't remember where I saw it but it was when I was googling medical school scholarships.

It's pretty cool how you applied to 6 schools and waitlisted for 3. That is amazing!
 
Thanks
Actually I am international so I couldn't get the FAP though I would qualify
There were also three more schools that I applied for in Canada and I was waitlisted for one of the schools here as a part of those three

Those scholarships sound helpful though
Could you message me some of them? I'll try to look too
 
Last edited:
Congrats guys! Hopefully they'll send s few more out for us folks still waiting. How long do they give you to decide to accept or decline out of curiosity?
 
Thanks! @VIZ1, yes I will be accepting. I really hope things turn out for you, you seem like a more than qualified candidate in a tricky situation. @drwoofs they are giving us two weeks to respond. Best of luck to ya!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Remixism Yeah, my situation is quite tricky
I'll make the necessary preparations then
I wish you luck in your career in medicine
 
@Remixism and @rayjune
Was there anything that you two did to get off of the waitlist? Such as letter of intents or updates?