2015-2016 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm pretty sure the faculty club and all the free drinks also stood out :p

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

How exciting! Thank you for sharing. Hoping to get off this WL even more. Did they talk about what the week looks like? Mon-Fri 8-10am or?

Reactions: 1 users
How exciting! Thank you for sharing. Hoping to get off this WL even more. Did they talk about what the week looks like? Mon-Fri 8-10am or?

Hey for the record a huge percentage of our class came off the WL last year so keep your head high!

During EPOM (fall semester first year) our week is 8-1 most days. This is about 3-4 hours of lecture and 1-2 hours of small group, pathology break out, lectures on physicianship, patient presentation, etc. Each hour is divided into 50 minutes of lecture and 10 minutes break - only small group and patient presentations are required and classes are recorded and available to watch the same afternoon. Twice a week in the afternoons you have anatomy from 2-5.

In HID (January - December first and second year) it's more or less the same w/o anatomy.

During both EPOM and HID our afternoons can be scattered with standardized patient practices, preceptorships (once a week working in a physician office during the afternoon), and physical exam skill practice e.g. lots of ultrasound, heart exams, etc. But most often they are free afternoons.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey for the record a huge percentage of our class came off the WL last year so keep your head high!

During EPOM (fall semester first year) our week is 8-1 most days. This is about 3-4 hours of lecture and 1-2 hours of small group, pathology break out, lectures on physicianship, patient presentation, etc. Each hour is divided into 50 minutes of lecture and 10 minutes break - only small group and patient presentations are required and classes are recorded and available to watch the same afternoon. Twice a week in the afternoons you have anatomy from 2-5.

In HID (January - December first and second year) it's more or less the same w/o anatomy.

During both EPOM and HID our afternoons can be scattered with standardized patient practices, preceptorships (once a week working in a physician office during the afternoon), and physical exam skill practice e.g. lots of ultrasound, heart exams, etc. But most often they are free afternoons.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

I wonder if it is like that every year. I've never wanted something more in my life than to get off this WL... Hah

Reactions: 4 users
Hey current students, how are the exams structured in the preclinical years? Do you have an exam/quiz every week and where exactly do you take it? Also, what do you typical weeks look like? Do you have mandatory classes every day (like is it possible to not have anything mandatory on Monday or Friday?)

Last edited:
Hey current students, how are the exams structured in the preclinical years? Do you have an exam/quiz every week and where exactly do you take it? Also, what do you typical weeks look like? Do you have mandatory classes every day (like is it possible to not have anything mandatory on Monday or Friday?)

Edit: Senor Cientifico's answer above may answer most of your questions:
2015-2016 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread

Last edited:
If I am remembering correctly, during the first semester there's an exam every Monday but that is about the extent of what I know. I'd also love to hear a current student chime in on this.
@Señor Científico

Hey we just got back from spring break sorry for a bit of a delay.

First semester is a test every Monday more or less, this has mixed reviews from the students. Weekly exams in general are considered great because it keeps us on our toes and we're consistently learning the material as opposed to procrastinating/cramming. Monday is where the mixed review part come in. Monday tests means the rest of the week is free, but some people feel like that it takes away from the weekend. I think a large percentage of my class was able to maintain a social life on weekends in spite of Monday tests, but from this semester's point of view Friday tests with a free weekend are really nice.

HID (spring semester) each unit is about 3 weeks with 2 tests within it (Cardio was an exception at 4 weeks). Tests can be any day of the week depending on the schedule but each one is usually over 5-7 days of classes so pretty similar content load wise.
We also have 2 triple jumps in the spring. The triple jump is a two day test after a few units (we just had one for cardio/pulm/GI/endo). Day one is a PBL style presentation of a patient and relevant questions. You answer the questions in essay format (individually) and then receive more information and leave. The rest of the afternoon you and any other classmates study/research the case that afternoon. Day two you get more info and a few more questions and that's it. There's no studying in advance or prep, is just a summation test that's a lot of fun.

I have no idea what the fall year 2 holds as I'm not there yet, but I hear it's pretty similar to spring as it's still HID (health illness and disease). We definitely still have a triple jump or two.

All tests (I use quiz,test, and exam interchangeably) are multiple choice (except the triple jump). This is done to mimic boards style. In the spring it's particularly similar to boards as the clinical subject matter lets the professors give a clinical vignette followed by a few questions related to the vignette.

hope that helps!

Does Cornell use any one of the preclinical NBME Subject Examination for testing?

Just withdrew, best of luck to all on the waitlist!!!! You all deserve a shot

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What's the process for withdrawing from the waitlist? The online portal only states 'Your response to our offer has been received. Thank you." with no link to withdraw.

@Señor Científico has done a great job answering questions

Glad to hear that the lot of you enjoyed second look ! As for waitlisters, no fear ... I, alongside many people I spoke with, was taken off the waitlist, so it's not a death sentence
Definitely let them know you're super interested (and, of course, why Cornell specifically) ... and soon ! If movement is as same as last year, there should be movement this coming week
Good luck to all

What's the process for withdrawing from the waitlist? The online portal only states 'Your response to our offer has been received. Thank you." with no link to withdraw.

Sorry to see you go! Best of luck in wherever you go.

Just shoot an email to Woldine or Dr. Nicolaysen if you're still having trouble.

@Señor Científico has done a great job answering questions

Glad to hear that the lot of you enjoyed second look ! As for waitlisters, no fear ... I, alongside many people I spoke with, was taken off the waitlist, so it's not a death sentence
Definitely let them know you're super interested (and, of course, why Cornell specifically) ... and soon ! If movement is as same as last year, there should be movement this coming week
Good luck to all

1 year anniversary since I got my invite off the waitlist!!

Reactions: 2 users
Last year, it landed on a Friday, and I didn't hear back until Monday, so yeah, give it a couple of days for some movement :)

Waitlist interest confirmation email just sent out. Guess they'll start pulling people soon.

Waitlist interest confirmation email just sent out. Guess they'll start pulling people soon.
I wonder how long they will wait to start pulling from the list. Seems they'd need to give at least a couple days to get replies from everybody on the waitlist. Any thoughts?

I wonder how long they will wait to start pulling from the list. Seems they'd need to give at least a couple days to get replies from everybody on the waitlist. Any thoughts?
Probably later this week. If at this point you don't tell them right away that you're still interested, I don't think they'll have much sympathy.

A current student told me last year she responded to the email and 3 hours later she received an acceptance... I'm sure they have a list already.

Last edited:
A previous student told me she responded to the email and 3 hours later she received an acceptance... I'm sure they have a list already.
What the what

She is currently class of 2019. Not this cycle! Sorry for the confusion.

I said I want to stay on the alternate list and they responded saying "thanks for the prompt response well let you know if your status changes." Based on what Porcelona said it sounds like that's a no for now. :/

I said I want to stay on the alternate list and they responded saying "thanks for the prompt response well let you know if your status changes." Based on what Porcelona said it sounds like that's a no for now. :/

Same here

most of the movement started the day after the email if you look back to previous years. So hopefully tomorrow will be the big burst.

I got this: We will let you know right away if anything changes with the status of your application. Feel free to keep in touch with us through periodic updates.

It felt like a no as well but since everyone is getting the same thing, I think we are fine. Trying to remain hopeful.

It's just your standard non-committal response that way they don't get calls asking if they received your response etc.. I think if there is going to be movement it will be tomorrow.

I got this: We will let you know right away if anything changes with the status of your application. Feel free to keep in touch with us through periodic updates.

Translation: "We got your e-mail, please don't call to check."

It has no meaning as to their opinion of anyone.

hey all just checking in to provide some support.

If you've responded to the waitlist confirmation email you've done all you can at this point. don't stress about their communication, they're just making sure they have a list of people who want to be here before they start sending invites. If you have any noteworthy accomplishments (publication, award) send that in, otherwise just hold tight.

I won't say relax because I've been in your shoes and I know that does no good, so I'll just say go distract yourselves! I have classmates accepted anywhere from the first day after the commitment deadline last year up to a few weeks after.

You're in the last mile of the marathon that is applying to medical school - almost there! lmk if you have any questions! good luck!

Waitlist just moved!!!!!!!! Good luck to the rest of you out there waiting!!!!

Got the email/ call that I cleared the waitlist this morning :) good luck to everyone else!!

May the fourth be with us all

Any emails sent out today?

Got the acceptance email 3:30 ET absolutely relieved after this process. Will be matriculating! Good luck to anyone still waiting :)

Reactions: 4 users