You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Got a rejection notification yesterday afternoon - first of the cycle. Good luck everyone!
Damn that sucks. When were you complete? You got an email rejection or through portal?
Sorry about that. Mind if I ask when you were complete?Rejection for me as well today :/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know I'm late to the game; don't judge! Question for you all who submitted:
I'm trying to access my secondary on my work PC but the links will not connect. (Says IE, FX, Chrome cannot connect / rejects connection).
Has anyone dealt with this? The link works on my phone after I add it as a security exception.
I'm trying to access my secondary on my work PC but the links will not connect. (Says IE, FX, Chrome cannot connect / rejects connection).
Has anyone dealt with this? The link works on my phone after I add it as a security exception.
And the sound of the first rejection hammer has rung upon thine application. Was hoping for some love with a strong research background but alas, tis' not my time. Complete 7/24.
I sent one. Received an II the following week if I remember correctly.
How did you phrase the ITA email? I would love to send them one as well. Thank you!
PM'ed youHow did you phrase the ITA email? I would love to send them one as well. Thank you!
I know I'm late to the game; don't judge! Question for you all who submitted:
I'm trying to access my secondary on my work PC but the links will not connect. (Says IE, FX, Chrome cannot connect / rejects connection).
Has anyone dealt with this? The link works on my phone after I add it as a security exception.
Two guesses -- One, don't use your work wifi since they might have a wonky firewall. The same thing happened to me on my work PC so I just had to use other wifi.
If it still won't work I'd say clear your cookies/browser history/etc
Damn that sucks. When were you complete? You got an email rejection or through portal?
I was completed 7/20, and it was via email. Not a surprising rejection for me, though; this was a major reach given my very average numbers.
Sorry to hear! I'm expecting a rejection pretty soon haha. I was complete 7/13 and haven't heard anything yetI was completed 7/20, and it was via email. Not a surprising rejection for me, though; this was a major reach given my very average numbers.
PM'ed you
Hey could you PM me too? I also want to send them an ITA and was wondering how to phrase it in an email. Thanks!
Hey could you PM me too? I also want to send them an ITA and was wondering how to phrase it in an email. Thanks!
PM'ed you as well. Try to change it up a bit if you can. Cornell will probably be wondering why they're getting all these similar emails...haha
Attachments
PM'ed you as well. Try to change it up a bit if you can. Cornell will probably be wondering why they're getting all these similar emails...haha
Haha of course my friend, no worries ✊
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejection. Good luck y'all.
That sucks. Every rejection you guys get is like a stabbing sensation to the chest. Is this post interview? When were you complete? Stats?
WCMC is not rolling with its admissions. All rejections now are pre-interview.That sucks. Every rejection you guys get is like a stabbing sensation to the chest. Is this post interview? When were you complete? Stats?
All rejections pre-October 15th are pre-interview. Post-interview decisions cannot be given out to students until October 15th.
Complete 07/06, and haven't heard anything yet...waiting at the edge of my seat!
+1Complete 07/06, and haven't heard anything yet...waiting at the edge of my seat!
SWEET BABY JESUS AN II JUST NOW!
Complete 7/6
Complete 7/6
really happy for you..congrats!!SWEET BABY JESUS AN II JUST NOW!
Complete 7/6
II today from my alma mater!
Complete 8/24, 3.6/35
I sent them an email a couple weeks ago saying I would be in NYC for other interviews and they were able to accommodate me. So don't be afraid to send those ITA emails!
Complete 8/24, 3.6/35
I sent them an email a couple weeks ago saying I would be in NYC for other interviews and they were able to accommodate me. So don't be afraid to send those ITA emails!
LizzyM ~ 77, complete 8/21, no II yet but no rejection either! Hoping for some sweet II love from WC in the coming days 😛
Same as well! Complete August 5 and still haven't heard back! Sent an ITA email last week so hopefully that gives me a more prompt response from them.
I'm probably off my rocker, but I just decided to apply here even though it's pretty late in the cycle. Just added Cornell on my AMCAS.
I love NYC and am kicking myself for not finding Cornell's Music and Medicine program sooner. I'm a non-trad switching from a career in music to medicine. Here goes...
I love NYC and am kicking myself for not finding Cornell's Music and Medicine program sooner. I'm a non-trad switching from a career in music to medicine. Here goes...
Thank you, dear! I was beginning to feel lost because this was my first secondary submitted!really happy for you..congrats!!
DON'T LOSE FAITH GUYS! No one but the admissions committees for any school knows the organization of the application reviewing process!
This is what really inspired me to apply here. Their collaboration with Julliard is unbelievable and I cannot wait to learn more about the opportunities available for their medical students!I'm probably off my rocker, but I just decided to apply here even though it's pretty late in the cycle. Just added Cornell on my AMCAS.
I love NYC and am kicking myself for not finding Cornell's Music and Medicine program sooner. I'm a non-trad switching from a career in music to medicine. Here goes...
This is what really inspired me to apply here. Their collaboration with Julliard is unbelievable and I cannot wait to learn more about the opportunities available for their medical students!
Exactly!
Just submitted my secondary.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What interview dates were/being offered to those of you who were given interview invites? I want to write an ITA email, but I haven't scheduled my other interviews... want to get a general sense if there's any chance of overlap before I take a wild shot at Cornell
I would love to write an ITA email for Nov, but I just got my complete email. -sigh-What interview dates were/being offered to those of you who were given interview invites? I want to write an ITA email, but I haven't scheduled my other interviews... want to get a general sense if there's any chance of overlap before I take a wild shot at Cornell
🙁
Same for me! I'm a clarinet performance major/pyschology minor. The music in medicine program is definitely one of the most appealing offerings of the SOM.Exactly!
Just submitted my secondary.
this may have been asked (super sorry) but does Cornell do student host?
They do not. There is an offer for a $100/night stay in Olin Hall in the II email. Also available is the NYP guest facility at >$200/night it says... (wtf)this may have been asked (super sorry) but does Cornell do student host?
Edit: just asked a friend at WCMC. Apparently students sign up and volunteer to host people, but there is no info in the email at all.. Maybe email the admissions office if you're interested?
Last edited:
Wow II just now! Complete second week of July. I sent an in the area email on Sunday so it must have worked? Pretty excited to be interviewing here. 

They're surprisingly chill. Just be yourself and be able to hold a conversation and you'll be fine. Also know your app.I'm interviewing here this week 😀 Any tips guys? Anything specific to Cornell that could be useful?
Pretty standard advice, I know haha
can any current student comment on how the grading system works at Cornell. Is it true pass/fail or ranked?
It's true pass/fail for preclinical. Even if you fail you can retake, you need a 65% average for each section of our class (Genetics/pharm/anatomy/etc.). Everyone really enjoys that aspect because it encourages teamwork and cooperation within our class.can any current student comment on how the grading system works at Cornell. Is it true pass/fail or ranked?
In clinical we have P/F/honors. I think honors is the top 15% of the class and it's by clerkship. You won't find a school that doesn't include honors, and if you do then don't go there. Honors are necessary to help distinguish students in the different core clerkships and better their chances for residency spots in the fields they're interested. If you're trying to get into 'xyz' residency spot and there is nothing to distinguish yourself amongst your class in that clerkship then you're at a disadvantage. This doesn't necessarily breed competition because not everyone will want the same specialty.
It's true pass/fail for preclinical. Even if you fail you can retake, you need a 65% average for each section of our class (Genetics/pharm/anatomy/etc.). Everyone really enjoys that aspect because it encourages teamwork and cooperation within our class.
In clinical we have P/F/honors. I think honors is the top 15% of the class and it's by clerkship. You won't find a school that doesn't include honors, and if you do then don't go there. Honors are necessary to help distinguish students in the different core clerkships and better their chances for residency spots in the fields they're interested. If you're trying to get into 'xyz' residency spot and there is nothing to distinguish yourself amongst your class in that clerkship then you're at a disadvantage. This doesn't necessarily breed competition because not everyone will want the same specialty.
Thank you 🙂
this may have been asked (super sorry) but does Cornell do student host?
Send an email to the admissions office. We've gotten emails about "need a host for a male interviewing on [date]" , so it's definitely a thingThey do not. There is an offer for a $100/night stay in Olin Hall in the II email. Also available is the NYP guest facility at >$200/night it says... (wtf)
Edit: just asked a friend at WCMC. Apparently students sign up and volunteer to host people, but there is no info in the email at all.. Maybe email the admissions office if you're interested?
This may seem like a weird question, but I sent an ITA email to Cornell for an interview in mid-September. I'll be in the NYC area again for an interview in November. Would it be excessive to send another ITA email? Hahah...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any idea what the Thank You note policy for Cornell is?
They didn't mention anything about Thank You Notes during my visit, so I would assume traditional letters are welcome to your interviewers.
I was reading through the interview feedback about Weill and it looks like a few people had a "stress interviewer" in the past. Is that something that has happened with anyone here that interviewed this cycle? Or is it just an anomaly that 1-2 interviewers happen to do and that I should cross my fingers that I don't have 1 of them?
My interviews were unbelievably relaxed for an n=1 contribution to this discussionI was reading through the interview feedback about Weill and it looks like a few people had a "stress interviewer" in the past. Is that something that has happened with anyone here that interviewed this cycle? Or is it just an anomaly that 1-2 interviewers happen to do and that I should cross my fingers that I don't have 1 of them?