2015-2016 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II today!!! Sent an ITA email a while back, but seems like they were waiting until they were scheduling interviews on the date that I provided before they gave me an invite. Really excited to interview here!
Congrats! Stats and completion date?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I'm going to be in the area in December, should I send an ITA now or is it too early?
Now. Odds are they are just going to add your email to your file so it'd be better to just get it in there for whenever they actually review it. Just my opinion though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I'm trying to see how I should book my flights, would you guys mind sharing the earliest interview availability.
 
Hey guys, I'm trying to see how I should book my flights, would you guys mind sharing the earliest interview availability.

How would this help you book flights? You are assuming you would get interviews at these schools.
 
How would this help you book flights? You are assuming you would get interviews at these schools.
I think the idea is she/he is traveling there already, and wants to do so around the time of available interviews in order to send ITA emails.
 
I think the idea is she/he is traveling there already, and wants to do so around the time of available interviews in order to send ITA emails.
Even so, without an II in hand, asking for the earliest availability is pretty useless. No guarantee there will still be spots on whichever date is open now, even less probable you'll actually land an II by sending an ITA to rush them
 
I think the idea is she/he is traveling there already, and wants to do so around the time of available interviews in order to send ITA emails.

Another reason this information is valuable with booking flights has to do with the cost/benefit of waiting to buy tickets. If you have an interview a month and a half from now and have yet to hear back from a school in the same location, knowing that this other school is not filled up during the dates in question can provide a rational argument for waiting for more expensive tickets. The expected value all depends on your chances of getting an interview in that period of time (in most cases, slim), but you never know. One expensive flight is far cheaper than two normal ones.
 
Another reason this information is valuable with booking flights has to do with the cost/benefit of waiting to buy tickets. If you have an interview a month and a half from now and have yet to hear back from a school in the same location, knowing that this other school is not filled up during the dates in question can provide a rational argument for waiting for more expensive tickets. The expected value all depends on your chances of getting an interview in that period of time (in most cases, slim), but you never know. One expensive flight is far cheaper than two normal ones.

I'm just trying to see if it's even a possibility which would really make me feel better about my decision-making process from a financial perspective.

@avgn , I don't expect a II, but looking at the probability (is it even possible at this juncture to get an II around this date) is something that will help me make a decision regarding whether or not I should wait to book the flight.
 
II today!!! Sent an ITA email a while back, but seems like they were waiting until they were scheduling interviews on the date that I provided before they gave me an invite. Really excited to interview here!
What did you say in the ITA email? Im going to be around NYC soon so i was going to send one as well
 
What did you say in the ITA email? Im going to be around NYC soon so i was going to send one as well

I kept it short and simple: stated that I'll be in the area on so and so date and hoped that they would take this into the consideration in the event that they may be looking to extend an invitation. I could message you it if you want.
 
Has anyone had success calling/emailing the admissions office for student hosting? Olin Hall no longer offers guest rooms and all hotels in the area are $300+...

Been having trouble finding accommodations myself...spending a Wed-Fri in NYC so I'm trying to find cheap accommodations. Any recommendations anyone?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone had success calling/emailing the admissions office for student hosting? Olin Hall no longer offers guest rooms and all hotels in the area are $300+...

Yes! I emailed the admissions office twice (they never really responded after the 1 email so I emailed them again and they found a student for me). It's not going to be the most luxurious stay but it's worth it b/c you get to pick the brain of Med students at the school you'll be interviewing at. My host took me around his floor and let me meet a good amount of his classmates which was pretty cool and chill the night before my interview.
 
Thanks! Hoping to get some love after my ITA update for late November.

If they're looking to extend an interview, they won't do so until they start scheduling on the date you indicated. At least thats what happened with me.
 
I read through all the interview feedback on this thread. Is there any more recent feedback from those who interviewed over the past month? What was your day like? How long were your interviews (did they go past the 30 minute mark?) Were there student interviewers?
 
I read through all the interview feedback on this thread. Is there any more recent feedback from those who interviewed over the past month? What was your day like? How long were your interviews (did they go past the 30 minute mark?) Were there student interviewers?

On my interview day I had one student interviewer and one faculty, both were open file and very laid-back. My day started at noon with a informal session where you chat with students and someone from admissions, followed by an info session about Cornell, tour, and lunch. Both interviews lasted more than 30 mins and were in the afternoon. Some students had morning interviews and were done after lunch and tour.
 
On my interview day I had one student interviewer and one faculty, both were open file and very laid-back. My day started at noon with a informal session where you chat with students and someone from admissions, followed by an info session about Cornell, tour, and lunch. Both interviews lasted more than 30 mins and were in the afternoon. Some students had morning interviews and were done after lunch and tour.

Thanks! It doesnt sound stressful at all. From what I gather it seems more conversational than formal. What were your impressions of the school?
 
Any tri-i applicants here? 😛 Anyone know of when those invites start coming out? I know the first interview date is Oct 31 sooo...I'm guessing they won't be coming out soon?

Hey @pineapplecake , I just joined this thread but I'm also applying MD/Phd! Havent been rejected from Tri-I yet but didn't get an II for the first date, so I'm sitting on my butt waiting very impatiently for now. Still no clue when they start sending for the second date, and I checked all the threads from previous years but there's very little info.
 
Hey @pineapplecake , I just joined this thread but I'm also applying MD/Phd! Havent been rejected from Tri-I yet but didn't get an II for the first date, so I'm sitting on my butt waiting very impatiently for now. Still no clue when they start sending for the second date, and I checked all the threads from previous years but there's very little info.

Hehe heyy! 🙂 Yeahh I just saw you on the MD/PhD II thread~~ welcome!! I was rejected earlier this month (there's also an MD/PhD Rejections thread here) but I wish you the best of luck!
 
Hehe heyy! 🙂 Yeahh I just saw you on the MD/PhD II thread~~ welcome!! I was rejected earlier this month (there's also an MD/PhD Rejections thread here) but I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you 🙂 Sorry to hear that! I feel you, though. I have 15 rejections of my own already so I'm trying to stay hopeful about the ones that have stayed silent. Definitely not counting my chickens before they hatch but I'm damn well keeping an eye on the eggs for now, hahaha.
 
Hey @pineapplecake , I just joined this thread but I'm also applying MD/Phd! Havent been rejected from Tri-I yet but didn't get an II for the first date, so I'm sitting on my butt waiting very impatiently for now. Still no clue when they start sending for the second date, and I checked all the threads from previous years but there's very little info.

I am checking my e-mail neurotically for any word from Tri-I. I'm surprised they are cutting it so close to the second date before releasing IIs, but I guess they are waiting to review every single application before making a final decision and releasing all the invites in one day. Since they are giving out rejections, I am staying optimistic but it's almost 2 weeks away! The caliber of faculty brought together by this program is on another level, it's ridiculous... Please love me Tri-I
 
I am checking my e-mail neurotically for any word from Tri-I. I'm surprised they are cutting it so close to the second date before releasing IIs, but I guess they are waiting to review every single application before making a final decision and releasing all the invites in one day. Since they are giving out rejections, I am staying optimistic but it's almost 2 weeks away! The caliber of faculty brought together by this program is on another level, it's ridiculous... Please love me Tri-I

Worddd dude *__* the research opportunities are amazing ahah it was definitely one of my top choices but it's okay~ deferred to the regular MD program so at least there may still be a chance for me afterall! hahah
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Worddd dude *__* the research opportunities are amazing ahah it was definitely one of my top choices but it's okay~ deferred to the regular MD program so at least there may still be a chance for me afterall! hahah

Yeah sloan-kettering seems to be poaching all of the big cancer researchers from around the country, I noticed a trend of PIs disappearing in recent years from the other schools I applied to. Sorry to hear about your rejection, but there is definitely still a chance! Tri-I seems to be very open to MD transfers so you just have to get your foot in the door. I applied late and my rejection might be on the way but I'll end up transferred to MD much later 🙁
 
I am checking my e-mail neurotically for any word from Tri-I. I'm surprised they are cutting it so close to the second date before releasing IIs, but I guess they are waiting to review every single application before making a final decision and releasing all the invites in one day. Since they are giving out rejections, I am staying optimistic but it's almost 2 weeks away! The caliber of faculty brought together by this program is on another level, it's ridiculous... Please love me Tri-I
ME TOO @Jelly Bones... I'm so afraid. Honestly I can't even believe I'm still in the running! Hopefully some other things are working out for you though! And for you, @pineapplecake!! I hope the MD works for you and then you can join up if you want to! Fingers crossed for all of us... <3
 
I had my interviews today - the first one was more stressful than any others I've had. I don't really know if it qualifies as a stress interview, since I don't know if it was just the interviewer's usual personality/they weren't impressed with my app, but they pushed me on a lot of my answers in a way that made it seem like they were kind of skeptical/unimpressed. But I think I was probably just over analyzing it. Who knows. Second interview was great, laid back, got a lot of positive feedback. I guess it's just the luck of the draw!

Good luck to all future interviewees~!

So was the first one more formal with a bunch of structured questions? Was the second more conversational, or was it just as formal but with a more friendly vibe?