2015-2016 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So was the first one more formal with a bunch of structured questions? Was the second more conversational, or was it just as formal but with a more friendly vibe?

I wouldn't characterize it as more formal to be honest... The conversation took a pretty natural course it just wasn't that positive, if that makes sense ...
 
I wouldn't characterize it as more formal to be honest... The conversation took a pretty natural course it just wasn't that positive, if that makes sense ...
When I looked through the interview responses on SDN from previous years it did seem like some ppl mentioned there's one interviewer who's known for being tougher.
 
Thanks! It doesnt sound stressful at all. From what I gather it seems more conversational than formal. What were your impressions of the school?

My impressions of the school were great! The students seem incredibly happy, it's in a great location, and my interviewers were AMAZING. They were so personable and took their time getting to know me, didn't grill me, ask about grades etc. This was one of the few places I interviewed where I left feeling a genuine connection with the school and like the interviewers were able to get an accurate picture of who I am.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed last month and both my interviewers were VERY conversational. I am a vocalist, and it is on my application, and the first thing my first interviewer said was that she googled me. It then went from that to even more conversation about life and my story and background. She was a sweetheart and was genuinely interested and well-knowledgeable regarding my application.
The second interviewer basically had like three questions regarding my application that intrigued him and then it went into a conversation about life, yet again. We talked for 45 minutes, and he was very nice and again knowledgeable and genuine.
The entire interview day was extremely relaxed in a good way. They really try to pick students who are normal, fun, well-rounded people who just so happen to want to pursue careers in medicine, and it showed when we met with all of the students. Everyone is extremely friendly and helpful. Just breathe and relax. These institutions know you have the capability to excel academically, and now they really just want to get to know you.

Good luck to all those who are interviewing, and hopefully come March, you will get a prescription to a four-year dose of Miss Kitty's sassy-ness when we matriculate together! 🙂 (IF I GET IN: Not to sound douchey in any way)
-Meow
 
interviewed here recently. both were great conversations and asked personalized questions (they had read my app thoroughly) while looking at me and not writing anything down. I absolutely adored my interviewers, but I think its a pretty mixed bag (maybe similar at many schools) as other students had interviewers who were tough or just asked questions off a list. that being said, the adcom (according to a current student) is aware of the "tougher" interviewers and takes that into account so dont stress if you find yourself in that position and just be your professional self 🙂
 
No. The first interview was a little more formulaic, where she asked some generic questions about my app and way to medicine, but the second interview was far more conversational and unstructured. I'm a non-traditional student so a lot of the focus of my interviews tends to gravitate towards my background and exactly what on earth happened. Lol.

I did mention the ACA in my second interview. If it's relevant to the discussion or your interests, and you know enough about it to not make a fool of yourself, I don't see the harm in flexing a bit ;D.
 
Does Cornell accept pre-interview updates? If so, how do you send them?
"You may send us occasional, substantive application updates if appropriate. Please send any such updates to [email protected], attaching your update as a Word or PDF file with the file name in the following format: lastname_firstname_AAMCID_ date. You will receive a confirmation email. Please do not include other queries or information in the email; questions should be directed to our main email address."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
New to SDN and last-minute US applicant. Just working on this secondary now. 33/3.96. Broadly speaking, any point in submitting at this point? I know Cornell doesn't technically do rolling admissions but can chances nevertheless be lower at this stage, esp considering below average MCAT?
 
New to SDN and last-minute US applicant. Just working on this secondary now. 33/3.96. Broadly speaking, any point in submitting at this point? I know Cornell doesn't technically do rolling admissions but can chances nevertheless be lower at this stage, esp considering below average MCAT?

I don't know about the fairly late application, but as far as the 33 goes...
I interviewed here this cycle with a lower MCAT than you and similar GPA. Apply bro. Don't disqualify yourself. Let them do that.

I think if everything else is stellar and you have a good story, you have as good a shot as anyone.
 
Got the axe today! Had a slight hope of making it to an interview but at least I put my name out there. Good luck to all the future doctors who end up enrolling here!
 
Got the axe today! Had a slight hope of making it to an interview but at least I put my name out there. Good luck to all the future doctors who end up enrolling here!
I'm sorry 🙁 when were you complete?
It seems like bloodbath at a lot of schools today..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected pre-II. Complete 8/3. Lizzy 74. Stings just a tad more being a Cornell undergrad alum but what can you do? Good luck everyone!
 
Was complete around the end of July and haven't heard anything since then with so many people getting rejected all round with no IIs in sight. Really hoping to get something from this place and I submitted an update to them like a week ago. Well time to wait and watch.
 
Was complete around the end of July and haven't heard anything since then with so many people getting rejected all round with no IIs in sight. Really hoping to get something from this place and I submitted an update to them like a week ago. Well time to wait and watch.
+1
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have any tips for interviewing here?

Were the interviewers very casual or was there a bad cop, good cop vibe?
Did they seem to focus heavily on your research and ask you all about the details of it (including the techniques used, etc.) or was it more of a skim through?
Anything that makes Cornell really stand out in your opinion? Anything more than just the tidbits picked up from their website?

Any advice is much appreciated (you can also PM me)! Thanks mucho!
 
Anyone have any idea of how many students cornell accepts? or the post interview acceptance rate?