2016-2017 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone post a link to the Facebook group? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

iApply will be down this upcoming Saturday, April 1st for scheduled maintenance.

Members don't see this ad :)
-Are all of the clinical rotations at either Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals/VA or Metro Health? Or are there some nearby community/smaller affiliates in the surrounding areas that students rotate through as well?

Also, Case seems perfect besides the cost haha. Is there anything about the program that current students DONT like? (perhaps @bearintraining or others can chime in?)

does anyone know how competitive the merit scholarships are? I recall that many people in this forum got invited to apply for them.

Does anyone know when M2's at Case typically take Step 1?
The second year ends at the end of February. Most students will start their 8 weeks of step studying time then. However, Case is pretty flexible and there is the option of doing your research block first (4months) or your first clinical core (1mo) first. I honestly don't know the exact details because things do change from year to year and they haven't talked to the first years about it yet. I believe the currently stipulation is it must be completed by December of the 3rd year.

Reactions: 1 users
-Are all of the clinical rotations at either Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals/VA or Metro Health? Or are there some nearby community/smaller affiliates in the surrounding areas that students rotate through as well?

Also, Case seems perfect besides the cost haha. Is there anything about the program that current students DONT like? (perhaps @bearintraining or others can chime in?)
A little too early for me to comment on the clinical rotations, but my understanding is YES. you do your cores at one of these places. I don't know whether you may have some days or portions thereof at their own satellite sites or not (both UH and CCF have locations throughout Cleveland, outside of their main campus) -- that may be more for clinical preceptorships during first and second year.

With respect to things people like or dislike -- honestly it's mainly about how you feel regarding PBL/IQ, and that it's a more self directed curriculum (which isn't such a bad thing). There is probably almost as many hours of PBL as there is lecture in most weeks. BUT, I will say that even if you don't love it, you will be fine and you'll get through. People make a big deal about preclinical curriculums (I sure did), but in the end it's only 2 years or 1.5 years of your medical education. It goes very quickly.
I will say that the school has just gone through acccreditation renewal and administrators are very responsive to student feedback and constantly improving. Case ranked top 25 in USNWR and I can tell you that both students and faculty would love to do even better.
The one big plus with case is the amount of free time. You can easily tack on a second degree (which may be a lot more time consuming than your MD curriculum, FYI), get involved with research, shadowing, volunteering, etc. Almost everyone in my class that I know of is doing something "more", by choice. But if you really just wanted to take it easy you could.

Reactions: 1 users
does anyone know when we get our roommates for second look?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else going to the hololens demo lol

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else going to the hololens demo lol

WHAT?!?!?! okay that is super cool... I would definitely go check it out, particularly if you have concerns about the changing anatomy curriculum. I have tried the HoloLens and it was quite impressive.

Case med student at the end of 3rd year...

Last year I shared my feelings about the preclinical curriculum to give prospective students a sense of the pros and cons of the school: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/posts/17093174/

Now that I've gone through Step 1 and most of the 3rd year core rotations, I can say that the preclinical curriculum really did prepare me well for both the exam and 3rd year, even though it seemed crazy and overwhelming at the time. I think that is the nature of the preclinical beast--it is essentially a whirlwind overview of concepts that you will get to revisit many times over the course of your training and career. The clinical experiences have overall been excellent in terms of the opportunities, the attendings, the residents, the didactics, etc. and the concepts that seemed so alien at the beginning of medical school are becoming more and more familiar as I see them applied in practice. Cleveland's hospitals have a reputation that attracts patients from all over, so you can see an incredibly wide range of conditions. You will inevitably be challenged (in a good way) in your clinical experiences here.

Probably the most important thing I can say about going to Case for med school is that it is easy to do what you need to do. You have a lot of freedom to customize your preclinical study time, there isn't that much busy work in the curriculum, it is very easy to get involved with research/shadowing/extracurriculars, it is easy to get around Cleveland for rotations and for going out and having fun, there are lots of places to rotate and do electives, the students are smart and easy to get along with, and at the end of it Case students generally match well into their desired specialties. Medicine is already a very difficult field to master, so it is nice to be able to focus your energy on learning to be a doctor.

Good luck with the rest of the application season and with the task of choosing a medical school--it's a good problem to have!

Reactions: 7 users
Just got a merit scholarship!!!! This makes my decision to attend a lot easier.

Reactions: 4 users
Just ponying myself up: if there's anyone that have last minute questions about Case before making final decisions, please feel free to ask either here on in private.

Didn't get an email, but I checked my financial aid portal today and the details of my aid package were up.

anyone already looking into housing? everytime I find a good place I check the reviews and I change my mind lol

For current students/or those in the know: will scholarship assistance change throughout the years or will it be the same throughout the whole four years?

I ask because I was working this year but next year clearly will not be working. I heard from a financial office at another school that this might change. Does anyone know if it does here? Thanks!

For current students/or those in the know: will scholarship assistance change throughout the years or will it be the same throughout the whole four years?

I ask because I was working this year but next year clearly will not be working. I heard from a financial office at another school that this might change. Does anyone know if it does here? Thanks!
My understanding is that the scholarship would stay the same but financial aid might change? But to be honest I don't know this for sure.

does case accept letters of intent? do they count how many you send? what's the best a waitlisted applicant do to be pulled off the waitlist?

Second look for this year is complete already. It was April 7-8

Just to give waitlisted people some hope, I was accepted off of the alternate list a few days ago! I had sent an update letter about a month earlier. LOVED Case!!
What are your stats if you don't mind me asking? I'm waitlisted but only have a 510 MCAT which makes me nervous because I know that's pretty low for Case. Thanks in advance.

Hey! :)
Does anyone know if we withdraw by email or if there is somewhere on the portal that I am missing? Thanks so much! Good luck to anyone still waiting for an acceptance! :)

Hey! :)
Does anyone know if we withdraw by email or if there is somewhere on the portal that I am missing? Thanks so much! Good luck to anyone still waiting for an acceptance! :)

It's through email! Use the email in the contact info part of the portal in he upper right side!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just withdrew as well. Good luck to all those who are waitlisted!

Also withdrawing! This one hurt but got better finaid elsewhere

Just to confirm:

The email to which we're supposed to send the withdrawal request for the University track is:

[email protected]

Can someone confirm this for me? I'm a little worried I'm doing this wrong.

Just to confirm:

The email to which we're supposed to send the withdrawal request for the University track is:

[email protected]

Also worried I am going to do this wrong. Can anyone confirm that all we need to do is contact each school individually except the school we plan to attend? No action is required on AMCAS or anything like that? and we have until the end of the day to do this? Sorry I am a bit lost.

Just to confirm:

[email protected]

Also worried I am going to do this wrong. Can anyone confirm that all we need to do is contact each school individually except the school we plan to attend? No action is required on AMCAS or anything like that? and we have until the end of the day to do this? Sorry I am a bit lost.

I can confirm. I got sent a message soon after email was sent confirming withdrawal!

I can confirm. I got sent a message soon after email was sent confirming withdrawal!
When did you withdraw? I sent in my withdrawal email on Friday and haven't received a reply yet.

Withdrew over the weekend. Can't believe it.. this was my "dream school." Good luck waitlisters :)

For anyone else who is wondering about withdrawals or didn't get an email reply, they updated iapply with a message confirming that they received your withdrawal!

Just got a call from Mr. Essman telling me that I've been admitted to Case!!! I'm fully crying at work rn. But yeah, movement is happening~~

Reactions: 8 users
Congrats guys! Did either of you send letters of interest or intent?

I sent a letter of interest and updates about a week beforehand

Withdrew from Case this past weekend. I absolutely loved the school and everyone at SLW but got into my dream school so I hope that one of you waitlisters gets my spot and $ :)

Reactions: 2 users