2016-2017 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm pretty much banking on meeting a potential roommate at second look... since they're booking rooms Saturday night too I might see if I can schedule some tours that Sunday before I head back

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also just registered for second look! This is my first choice, super excited about seeing the school and hospitals, meeting everyone and getting to experience Cleveland again. I've heard Case goes "all out" for this weekend, so it should be great. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys!!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted last week! Interviewed at the end of January as well. I'm excited to meet you all :)

Canadian applicant here. First ever interview and first acceptance! Was not expecting to hear back from them so soon; I interviewed on February 15th and they sent an offer a week later :oops:

Definitely will be hitting up Second Look; looking forward to meeting all of you.

Reactions: 4 users
Canadian applicant here. First ever interview and first acceptance! Was not expecting to hear back from them so soon; I interviewed on February 15th and they sent an offer a week later :oops:

Definitely will be hitting up Second Look; looking forward to meeting all of you.
congrats fellow international student :)

When do we expect to see alternate list movement...???

Reactions: 1 users
Second look was definitely jam packed and a great weekend -- hopefully I'll be out and about and meet some of you folks. Definitely were some accepted students that were looking at housing options during second look, and meeting potential roommates also. I'd say the majority of students live in Little Italy or near there.

Sooooo I'm definitely going to be attending here next year. How do I go about housing? Where do most students live/how do you find leases?

I'm pretty much banking on meeting a potential roommate at second look... since they're booking rooms Saturday night too I might see if I can schedule some tours that Sunday before I head back

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Just registered for Second Look!!! So excited!

Same! Looks pretty exciting!

Just registered for second look as well. Excited to meet you guys! :D

I also just registered for second look! This is my first choice, super excited about seeing the school and hospitals, meeting everyone and getting to experience Cleveland again. I've heard Case goes "all out" for this weekend, so it should be great. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys!!

Sooooo I'm definitely going to be attending here next year. How do I go about housing? Where do most students live/how do you find leases?
the best advice is to spend some time looking at places and seeing what you like, what you are or aren't okay with, etc. (I found there's significant variation in places and many do not have pictures online).
I kinda did it in a challenging way that I wouldn't recommend -- stayed in airbnb until I found something, but I had other restrictions on my time.
Many students live near campus (Little Italy, etc.). Some of us are further out -- for instance you could live downtown or University Heights (near John Carroll University and many other amenities). I don't think I know of anyone who's on the west side of the city, but it wouldn't be impossible if you have a vehicle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would any acceptees mind sharing their stats? Im curious if I would have a shot if I were to apply here

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Would any acceptees mind sharing their stats? Im curious if I would have a shot if I were to apply here

Per MSAR:

MCAT 10-90th percentile range: 33-39 (~514-523)
GPA 10-90th percentile range: 3.53-3.98

Fellow accepted students, where are you able to find the pin number that allows you to sign into the financial aid application?

Fellow accepted students, where are you able to find the pin number that allows you to sign into the financial aid application?

From their email titled Case Med Update Financial Aid Information:

"Step 1
If you have not done so already, please enter your social security number on your iApply Status Page. Your social security number will be used to create your student record and provide you access to the Financial Aid Application. The Financial Aid Office also requires your social security number to access your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Step 2
Within 48 to 72 hours of submitting your social security number, you will find some unique identification information along with a PIN number posted on your iApply Status page. It may take a few days for these to post on iApply. Your CWRU Network ID will need to be activated before you begin the Financial Aid Application. On your Status Page, you will find a link for “Activating Your CWRU Network ID” and it is important to note that it will take about 48 hours for the activation to complete as your IDs are propagated throughout various University servers.

Step 3
Once your CWRU Network ID has been activated, you are ready to begin the Financial Aid application. Your iApply Status page includes a link to the Financial Aid Requirements. Detailed instructions can be found on this site for completing the application steps. "

Lizzy ~75
Most important on app: global and local service, public health internships, research
Hope that helps!
I'm happy to answer any questions if you send me a message.

Hi everyone! CWRU M4 here (sort of... matriculated in 2010 but took a few of years off for research (not an MSTP though)). I figured I'd make myself available to anybody who has any questions about Case, Cleveland, the Masters of Applied Anatomy program, or anything else I can answer.

I won't pretend to be unbiased, but Case is awesome. The small group format is awesome (I remember being concerned at first about just how small-group dependent the curriculum was, worried that learning the "right things" would depend on what group I was in. This wasn't a problem at all). The low class time is awesome. The program administration and clinical faculty are tremendously supportive. The Case experience is very much what you make of it--you can certainly just go to class <10 hours/week during M1 and M2 and sit around the rest of the time if you want to, but the beauty of having all that time is that you can really get meaningfully involved in whatever you want, whether that's a Masters, research, service, etc.

The one thing I'll say now is if you can, go to the Second Look! I went into the Second Look pretty undecided between programs, and came out with my decision basically made.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone,
Can anyone describe what their portal looks like when they're eligible to receive merit-based scholarships? Is there a clear button that says you're invited to apply for scholarships?

Cheers!

Hey everyone,
Can anyone describe what their portal looks like when they're eligible to receive merit-based scholarships? Is there a clear button that says you're invited to apply for scholarships?

Cheers!

There is a light blue square containing all my notifications for the university program. One of the notifications, with the same date as my acceptance notification, reads: "You have scholarship information available. Click here for additional info." Hyperlink contains merit scholarship info.

Hey everyone,

Cheers!
You should get the invitation to apply for scholarships with your hard copy letter of acceptance. There should be another status on your portal that says: You have scholarship information available. Click here for additional info

You should get the invitation to apply for scholarships with your hard copy letter of acceptance. There should be another status on your portal that says: You have scholarship information available. Click here for additional info
Thanks! About how long did it take for you receive a hard copy letter of acceptance? I've been checking my mail pretty judiciously but haven't seen anything yet!

Thanks! About how long did it take for you receive a hard copy letter of acceptance? I've been checking my mail pretty judiciously but haven't seen anything yet!
For me it took like 2 weeks to get here. Also, my portal didn't say I was being considered for a scholarship until after a couple of days after getting the letter.

BTW anyone trying to register for second look, it is full now and there is a waitlsit :shrug:

I tried to register a week ago and there was a waitlist even then. Was not expecting it to fill up that fast, but I hope people drop out as they accept other schools' offers.

just accepted this morning :D interviewed in mid Feb

Reactions: 2 users
would you be told in the email confirmation after registering for SLW that you're on a waitlist? because i just tried now, and it seems as if i have a spot? not sure if that's due to people withdrawing or what...

would you be told in the email confirmation after registering for SLW that you're on a waitlist? because i just tried now, and it seems as if i have a spot? not sure if that's due to people withdrawing or what...
Spots have been starting to open up, so I think if you just register now and there's a spot you'll get it. I was on the waitlist initially, then was e-mailed about a spot being available.

See everyone in April!

Does anyone know how many people are typically put on the alternate list at Case?

Also, does anyone know if it's better if you go from Interview -> Alternate List, or Interview -> Hold -> Alternate List? I'm guessing it's better if you go straight from Interview -> Alternate List, right? Cause it sounds like the "hold" stage is when they're deciding whether or not they want to put you on the alternate list or just reject you? Or has anyone been accepted directly after a hold (ie no alternate list stage)?

besides second look, is there some other way in which Case helps us get connected to potential roommates? I haven't seen many students post on the facebook page

Do you think it puts you at a disadvantage as far as meeting your classmates if you don't go to Second Look Weekend? I want to, but the end of my semester is nuts :(

Do you think it puts you at a disadvantage as far as meeting your classmates if you don't go to Second Look Weekend? I want to, but the end of my semester is nuts :(
it shouldnt. Im guessing that many people at second look wont end up matriculating. You can always meet us SDNers sometime before school starts :)

Hi folks! I will be an M1 at CWRU in July and I started to look into housing. I think I'm set on living at the Waldorf Towers. I called there earlier last week and management said that their availabilities typically start dwindling around April. If any female here is interested in a 2bed/2bath apartment, please message me!

I'm apartment hunting in the area too! I looked into Waldorf Towers early on because of how great the location is, but I got concerned by stories about how they don't have the greatest maintenance (leaky faucets, pest problems, etc) and bad follow up. Plus the rent is pretty expensive for the sq footage. That said, I haven't had a chance to see the building in person yet -- maybe the occasional frustration would be worth the convenience of being so close to campus. The photos of the rooms/building/courtyard area look pretty much like what I'm looking for. I'm still deliberating between Waldorf and smaller buildings in the Little Italy/Coventry area (there's a bus line thats a straight shot for the farther ones by the cemetery).

It would be extra nice to be close enough / have the time to actually see all these places before deciding. One realtor told me that it's "resident season" and nearly all the housing around campus will be snatched up by next month

For those who moved from the waitlist to guaranteed spots in the class, how did you do so? Did you send letters of interest or did the school just call you up and offer a spot?

For those who moved from the waitlist to guaranteed spots in the class, how did you do so? Did you send letters of interest or did the school just call you up and offer a spot?

I don't think anyone has this cycle? The recent comments were regarding a second look day waitlist as it had filled up.

I'm an alumni of CWRU, and I lived in these apartments for several years: Lewis Manor, Mapleview, Heights | Apartments for Rent in Cleveland Heights, OH (I was at the Lewis Manor location). The maintenance was always good and I walked to campus (~15min walk). Only issue is the hardwood floors are loud if you have loud people above you, so I highly recommend top floor apartments when available. FWIW, I did have several friends who lived in Waldorf and they didn't have any major complaints. In general, most of the housing in this general area is pretty good. Good lucky searching!

Thank you!! That's another good lead. Do you have any other suggestions for places med students tend/like to live in? Any neighborhoods to avoid completely?

I'm an alumni of CWRU, and I lived in these apartments for several years: Lewis Manor, Mapleview, Heights | Apartments for Rent in Cleveland Heights, OH (I was at the Lewis Manor location). The maintenance was always good and I walked to campus (~15min walk). Only issue is the hardwood floors are loud if you have loud people above you, so I highly recommend top floor apartments when available. FWIW, I did have several friends who lived in Waldorf and they didn't have any major complaints. In general, most of the housing in this general area is pretty good. Good lucky searching!
Thank you! really informative! How fast do the apartments close to campus fill up? should we start signing leases asap?

Just to give waitlisted people some hope, I was accepted off of the alternate list a few days ago! I had sent an update letter about a month earlier. LOVED Case!!

Reactions: 5 users
I'll just put a plug in for some other options: If you're bringing a vehicle, you could live a bit further away. Some folks live downtown, some near University Heights -- there are more stores around, more options.. it's about 10-15min drive (so similar to a walk if you were closeby). Parking on campus is <=$99 (depends on the lot, I think) per month.
Something to keep in mind if you don't mind living further out.

I'll just put a plug in for some other options: If you're bringing a vehicle, you could live a bit further away. Some folks live downtown, some near University Heights -- there are more stores around, more options.. it's about 10-15min drive (so similar to a walk if you were closeby). Parking on campus is <=$99 (depends on the lot, I think) per month.
Something to keep in mind if you don't mind living further out.
any good places near university heights you could recommend?

Just to give waitlisted people some hope, I was accepted off of the alternate list a few days ago! I had sent an update letter about a month earlier. LOVED Case!!

Wow congrats! I didn't know the waitlist would be moving this early. Do you mind sharing when you interviewed and when you were waitlisted?

guys -- the planning for second look is in full swing. Looking forward to all the festivities and showing y'all what Case is like!

fyi: there's heavy involvement from the students, so we hope you'll love it!

Had a dream last night that I checked my portal and had been awarded a scholarship! However, upon closer inspection, the scholarship was that at any school sponsored event, they would have a few hot dogs for me to eat. That's it. I was like "Well, I guess that saves on food costs a little bit. But I don't even like hot dogs."

Reactions: 3 users