2016-2017 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Submitted June 30th got updated that my application was complete July 5th, anyone know a schedule for when the committee starts to review applications and starts to extend interview invitations?

Over the last few cycles, the earliest has been August 14. Typically around the 21st, though. The first interviews are September 7, so I'm betting IIs start going out on the 19th.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Received a secondary with cGPA: 3.72, sGPA: 3.78, and 505 mcat

And again with the question...should I even bother sending in my secondary?
 
When filling out the Pre-Reqs in the secondary, does anyone know what the "Optional Semesters" are for? Is anyone using other Bio/Chem/Physics classes to put in Optional Semesters in addition to the required pre-reqs?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When filling out the Pre-Reqs in the secondary, does anyone know what the "Optional Semesters" are for? Is anyone using other Bio/Chem/Physics classes to put in Optional Semesters in addition to the required pre-reqs?

I assumed they were for people on quarter systems, like me, so I only used them as my third quarter classes


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Anybody know how to check the status?

They don't update the secondary portal. The only way you'll receive status updates is through email.

That being said, heads up to you all that a few of us called last cycle and found out we had IIs a week or two before receiving the email. But I would wait several weeks before calling.
 
Messed up big time and didnt see the 1 month deadline on the secondary email....is it even worth it to submit the secondary now? I work full time and have been very busy lately (not an excuse for my oversight but for the timing) and am wondering if I should try calling them or just give up on EVMS? Am now 2 days passed the deadline of 1 month
 
Messed up big time and didnt see the 1 month deadline on the secondary email....is it even worth it to submit the secondary now? I work full time and have been very busy lately (not an excuse for my oversight but for the timing) and am wondering if I should try calling them or just give up on EVMS? Am now 2 days passed the deadline of 1 month
oh ****! I didn't see that either! I have been so busy working full time and I did want to submit to EVMS but honestly it wasn't a top school for me so I set it on the back burner... i guess i'll get what i deserve lol
 
Messed up big time and didnt see the 1 month deadline on the secondary email....is it even worth it to submit the secondary now? I work full time and have been very busy lately (not an excuse for my oversight but for the timing) and am wondering if I should try calling them or just give up on EVMS? Am now 2 days passed the deadline of 1 month

You should call them and do your best! best of luck
 
oh ****! I didn't see that either! I have been so busy working full time and I did want to submit to EVMS but honestly it wasn't a top school for me so I set it on the back burner... i guess i'll get what i deserve lol
Are you just not going to submit it then? How late are you now? I'm thinking it doesnt hurt to call because the worst they can say is no right haha
 
Messed up big time and didnt see the 1 month deadline on the secondary email....is it even worth it to submit the secondary now? I work full time and have been very busy lately (not an excuse for my oversight but for the timing) and am wondering if I should try calling them or just give up on EVMS? Am now 2 days passed the deadline of 1 month

oh ****! I didn't see that either! I have been so busy working full time and I did want to submit to EVMS but honestly it wasn't a top school for me so I set it on the back burner... i guess i'll get what i deserve lol

33 days in, still submitted. I don't think it will hurt if you do it ASAP.
 
You should call them and do your best! best of luck

Are you just not going to submit it then? How late are you now? I'm thinking it doesnt hurt to call because the worst they can say is no right haha

33 days in, still submitted. I don't think it will hurt if you do it ASAP.

hmm maybe I will go ahead and fill it out today and submit it! I see no reason not to besides saving some $$$
 
Huh, I wasn't told to put it down twice.......hope that isn't an issue for me! The second orgo lab at my school was a 400 level, 3 credit course and you needed concurrent enrollment in a 400 level orgo lecture soooooooo.....that was a no for me.

I just called for clarification about organic. My school also has two, three hour organic lecture classes with a two hour, one semester lab. I also was told this was fine (I have 8 hours) but list the lab course twice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SOOOO I have been trying to submit my payment all morning and I keep getting an error message. Do you guys think this is because my secondary is >30 old and they just won't receive the payment?

EDIT: got it submitted. My billing address was off [emoji12]
 
Last edited:
When you guys were filling out the secondary, was there only 3 entries for your letter of recs? I assigned more thru AMCAS to this school but on the secondary, it only gives me 3 entries...
@mcatjelly if you could provide any info that would be awesome!
 
Last edited:
how strict are they about this submitting within 30 days thing? itll be 30 days for me tomorrow but i am waiting for a letter...is it worth it to wait till next week or go ahead and submit it and then just add the letter next week?
 
how strict are they about this submitting within 30 days thing? itll be 30 days for me tomorrow but i am waiting for a letter...is it worth it to wait till next week or go ahead and submit it and then just add the letter next week?
What do you mean by adding the letter next week? You don't need your letters in to submit, you just won't be complete until they receive the letters. You should have assigned your letters on AMCAS and then whenever AMCAS gets a letter they send it to the schools you've designated to receive it. I definitely wouldn't wait to submit your secondary after 30 days!
 
@al22al22 right but I didn't think I could assign the letter on AMCAS yet can I? Because I would have to enter the email address that Interfolio generates once Interfolio receives the letter if that makes sense? So Interfolio wont generate an email address for the letter until it actually receives the letter
 
@al22al22 right but I didn't think I could assign the letter on AMCAS yet can I? Because I would have to enter the email address that Interfolio generates once Interfolio receives the letter if that makes sense? So Interfolio wont generate an email address for the letter until it actually receives the letter
Ah, none of my writers used Interfolio so I'm not sure about that, I just assigned all of my letters as soon as I decided what schools I would be applying to. I don't remember ever having to put in a special email address though? I just filled out the letter writer's name, school affiliation, etc. and then assigned them to schools. Maybe it's different for Interfolio?
 
just called admissions so no worries! She was like yeah it doesn't matter if you submit after 30 days lol she said obviously if you can earlier then go for it but if its after 30 days dont worry, it wont negatively impact you
 
Did anybody else have trouble selecting their schools attended in the secondary? My school comes at the very end of the alphabet and despite trying multiple different browsers, the button to page through to the end isn't working. So I can't select my school. Not really sure what to do. lol
 
@Mandalore I'd honestly just call the office of admissions...they are prob the nicest and most helpful i have come across thus far
 
For all the IS applicants that have submitted secondaries, what forms of documentation did you have to submit afterwards? and did every IS applicant have to do this or is it only for certain people depending on their situation?
 
For all the IS applicants that have submitted secondaries, what forms of documentation did you have to submit afterwards? and did every IS applicant have to do this or is it only for certain people depending on their situation?

I had to send in my
- Drivers License
- Voter Registration
- Car Registration
- 2015 VA tax return

To my knowledge, all IS applicants have to prove residency.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Dang, my secondary invite went to my spam folder and the email says to turn it in within 30 days. Should I even bother submitting it if its been over 30 days already? 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you guys have ANY questions regarding the application process, please do not hesitate to call the admissions office! They are the nicest, most friendly admissions office staff I have ever spoken to (I applied to a lot of schools and spoke with multiple admissions offices so I'm not just saying it because I'm biased) and they will try their very best to answer any and all of your questions throughout the cycle. Interview season is right around the corner (less than a month away before our first interview date of the cycle!) and I wish you all the best of luck!

Classes start this Monday but if you guys have any questions about EVMS/the app cycle, feel free to ping or pm me 🙂
 
@dental15triodino i called the other day and the lady said the 30 days is not a strict deadline and you can submit it after...also on MSAR it says nothing about it so i wouldnt worry
 
@dental15triodino i called the other day and the lady said the 30 days is not a strict deadline and you can submit it after...also on MSAR it says nothing about it so i wouldnt worry
That's such a relief! Thank you so much for getting back to me, @wahoowa2017! Really appreciate it! 🙂
 
If I have a car registered in VA but technically not under my name, should I put yes or no for the secondary question about having a car here in va?
 
If I have a car registered in VA but technically not under my name, should I put yes or no for the secondary question about having a car here in va?

From the email they sent me:

Virginia DMV car registration for the vehicle YOU OPERATE even if it is not registered in your name (check expiration date)


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Just sharing my 1.5 cents here but I'm OOS and spoke to someone at the school today. Told her stats and medical exposure and she said I would be good so maybe it's more of a holistic screen. Fingers crossed


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Just sharing my 1.5 cents here but I'm OOS and spoke to someone at the school today. Told her stats and medical exposure and she said I would be good so maybe it's more of a holistic screen. Fingers crossed


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
That's awesome! Were you more inquiring about chances for receiving a secondary or your chance at admission?
 
From the email they sent me:

Virginia DMV car registration for the vehicle YOU OPERATE even if it is not registered in your name (check expiration date)


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Wait so did you click yes or no for saying you have a registered vehicle? Does this mean I should click yes for that question?
 
Wait so did you click yes or no for saying you have a registered vehicle? Does this mean I should click yes for that question?

If you use a car with VA plates, I would, even if the car belongs to your parents, spouse, or whatever. As long as you can get a copy of the registration to send to the office.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How long does it generally take to receive a complete status or word on sending forms in for IS applicants? I submitted a week ago and still haven't had any correspondence to submit documents for IS status.
 
just called admissions so no worries! She was like yeah it doesn't matter if you submit after 30 days lol she said obviously if you can earlier then go for it but if its after 30 days dont worry, it wont negatively impact you
Curious, are you alking about secondaries or the letters of rec?