-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Just received an II by email!! Submitted mid-July, OOS.
Congrats! Stats?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
LizzyM around 67ish
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm seems like they don't really do batches, since ppl are getting them throughout the day.
I received the email at 1:26 PM, though I just posted it because I was at work
when did you guys submit?
I submitted 7/28, letters got in on 7/29. OOS but I'm somewhat local since I'm in Maryland. I probably live closer to the school than many Virginia residents
when did you guys submit?
6/30
I received the email at 1:26 PM, though I just posted it because I was at work
I submitted 7/28, letters got in on 7/29. OOS but I'm somewhat local since I'm in Maryland. I probably live closer to the school than many Virginia residents
How long did it take you to get the secondary as an OOS applicant? I submitted my verified primary to them last Friday, and I have not heard back yet. I know that they are probably overwhelmed w/ apps, I was just curious (not sure if I should be worried yet). Thank you!
How long did it take you to get the secondary as an OOS applicant? I submitted my verified primary to them last Friday, and I have not heard back yet. I know that they are probably overwhelmed w/ apps, I was just curious (not sure if I should be worried yet). Thank you!
I was verified pre-transmission and it took about 2 weeks for me to get the secondary. I wouldn't worry for another couple weeks!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
How long did it take you to get the secondary as an OOS applicant? I submitted my verified primary to them last Friday, and I have not heard back yet. I know that they are probably overwhelmed w/ apps, I was just curious (not sure if I should be worried yet). Thank you!
I was verified on 7/6 then got the secondary on 7/14. You shouldn't be worried. As you said, they're probably overwhelmed right now. I'd give it a couple weeks.
II!!!!! 

II!!!!!![]()
Complete?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Complete July 29th
Complete July 29th
Thanks and congrats!
Congrats on the interview!Just received an II by email!! Submitted mid-July, OOS.
What was the first interview day available? And are they only on Mon and Fridays?
Congrats on the interview!
What was the first interview day available? And are they only on Mon and Fridays?
Wednesdays and Fridays
First day is 9/7. They were scheduling for the 7th, 9th, 14th and 16th when I called.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thank you both very much! 🙂 And congrats on the interviews!
Thanks for the congratulations. Good luck!
.
Last edited:
II today!
I was looking over the supplemental email today and realized it said if you enroll in a graduate program you must complete it before you can matriculate.... I was about to start a master's program as a backup plan in case I don't get in to medschool but it will take me at least 2 years to complete (if I got accepted to med school I planned to stop the masters in order to matriculate). Soo does that mean if I start this masters program I have no chance at EVMS? Sorry for the messy paragraph this has just thrown a wrench into my plans for the next year.
II today!
Complete? And congrats
Ditching a masters program half way through does not look good.I was looking over the supplemental email today and realized it said if you enroll in a graduate program you must complete it before you can matriculate.... I was about to start a master's program as a backup plan in case I don't get in to medschool but it will take me at least 2 years to complete (if I got accepted to med school I planned to stop the masters in order to matriculate). Soo does that mean if I start this masters program I have no chance at EVMS? Sorry for the messy paragraph this has just thrown a wrench into my plans for the next year.
Thank you in advance for your help and insight!Congrats to all with IIs so far! I'm a current M1 at EVMS and would be happy to answer any questions you have about interview day and/or the school itself. I'm sure @rukia013 would, too. 🙂
How is the class atmosphere (supportive v competitive)? Good rotations and rotation locations? Why did you pick EVMS over any other acceptance you had?
Thank you in advance for your help and insight!
How is the class atmosphere (supportive v competitive)? Good rotations and rotation locations? Why did you pick EVMS over any other acceptance you had?
1. Thus far the class atmosphere feels incredibly supportive. The M2s created a Google Drive for us M1s with tons of resources (textbook pdfs, past exams, anki decks, etc.) and even took the time to reorganize it around the new curriculum. We're only in our second week of classes, but most of the people I've met in my own year are genuinely kind and helpful. This was a vibe I felt during interview day as well, and to a greater extent than at my other interviews.
2. I might be a little too new to answer this haha, but EVMS is right next to the area's only Level 1 trauma center and burn center and Virginia's only freestanding children's hospital... so that's cool. (The latter means that the most common chosen specialty is peds). Most of the affiliated hospitals are in the Eastern Shore area but students can do an international elective as well.
3. I was on 4 WLs until EVMS decided to ultimately accept me in April. I chose it over my Drexel acceptance which came 2 weeks later almost entirely because I'd rather pay IS tuition (let's be real here), but I really loved the emphasis on community and service that is truly at the core of EVMS's education (one day of orientation was spent decorating classrooms at the poorest elementary school in the area). I also appreciate the new systems-based curriculum and their emphasis on student wellness.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone else been waiting a while to be marked complete after sending in secondary? I am IS and know I should be receiving some email to submit paperwork to verify my IS status, but I still haven't received it. It has been two weeks :/
1. Everyone here is SO SUPPORTIVE--from your fellow classmates to older students, to the faculty and the staff at the hospital (who are all considered EVMS employees). As mcatjelly pointed out, the M2's have been PHENOMENAL in providing us every possible resource they have their hands on and giving us so much helpful advice--during the first week, one of the M2's even stayed at the library the whole day so we could stop by and get pdfs of all the books if we wanted to 😀 My advice for your interview experience in general, regardless of where you interview: take note of how the students, faculty, etc. act--do they seem friendly? Stressed? Anxious? Social? Too busy to stop and chat? Do they smile at you? Do they smile in general? etc. and this will usually be a good indicator of the school atmosphere.Thank you in advance for your help and insight!
How is the class atmosphere (supportive v competitive)? Good rotations and rotation locations? Why did you pick EVMS over any other acceptance you had?
2. Some of your rotations will be off-campus so you will definitely need a car when you start your 3rd year. As for locations, I do not know the specifics (I'm OOS) but that is definitely something you can ask during your interview! (As far as I know, most schools have "away" rotation locations unless it's something like the Temple St. Luke's program where all of your rotations are in a single hospital)
3. Like mcatjelly, I was on 4 WLs and got accepted in mid-May (from middle 1/3). EVMS was nearly tied for first place out of the schools I was WL'd at (tbh the "true" first place school was only first place bc they went on a block schedule aka only have classes from morning to noon and I chose EVMS because they aim to be recognized as the #1 service-oriented school. Having done a ton of community service, I wanted to go to a school that placed lots of value in that because I truly believe that service-minded individuals will make the best doctors--we're trained to be more understanding, compassionate, and humble and I think overall that's what is best for patients. EVMS also provides a whole lot of opportunities to get involved with the community and underserved populations so even though you are "just a student" you can still can make a difference in a patient's life!
I'm also open to answering any questions about EVMS/interviews--between @mcatjelly and I, you guys have both IS and OOS perspectives 🙂
Has anyone else been waiting a while to be marked complete after sending in secondary? I am IS and know I should be receiving some email to submit paperwork to verify my IS status, but I still haven't received it. It has been two weeks :/
OOS applicant here, but waiting on the complete status too. 🙁 I submitted 7/26 and still have that "Thank you for submitting your Supplemental Application. Your payment has been successfully received and you will be notified when your file is complete." message.
You can always call the admissions office to check the status of your application (they're super friendly and helpful!). I know when I applied, there were some schools' emails that somehow slipped through the cracks so it doesn't hurt to call just to verify, especially if you've been waiting for nearly a month now 🙂OOS applicant here, but waiting on the complete status too. 🙁 I submitted 7/26 and still have that "Thank you for submitting your Supplemental Application. Your payment has been successfully received and you will be notified when your file is complete." message.
Received secondary (OOS applicant)! 🙂 Just curious, did everyone use up all the space for the prompts? This is one of the few secondaries where I did not feel like I was running out of a room to say what I wanted. Also, when they ask about what you will like best/least about being a physician did you interpret that as just one thing or did you write about several things? Sorry for the silly questions - I know I am overthinking, I just really like this school 🙂
I would just choose one thing and expand upon it, adding in personal experience(s) if possible (if it's a medically-related experience then that would probably be a bonus 🙂)Received secondary (OOS applicant)! 🙂 Just curious, did everyone use up all the space for the prompts? This is one of the few secondaries where I did not feel like I was running out of a room to say what I wanted. Also, when they ask about what you will like best/least about being a physician did you interpret that as just one thing or did you write about several things? Sorry for the silly questions - I know I am overthinking, I just really like this school 🙂
While I am not on the admissions committee, a single in-depth response would probably provide more insight on the applicant than multiple "shallower" answers. (When I applied last year I stuck to one thing only)
I also just did one for both of them. But I'm sure you could talk about more than one and it wouldn't matter much. And I would say I probably had a few characters left over for each prompt.Received secondary (OOS applicant)! 🙂 Just curious, did everyone use up all the space for the prompts? This is one of the few secondaries where I did not feel like I was running out of a room to say what I wanted. Also, when they ask about what you will like best/least about being a physician did you interpret that as just one thing or did you write about several things? Sorry for the silly questions - I know I am overthinking, I just really like this school 🙂
Hello! I am a current M2 at EVMS and absolutely LOVE my school!! We have tons of community service opportunities. We have Service Learning projects that were voluntary my year, but are now mandatory as part of the curriculum. There are tons of options under 5 service paths:Can a current medical student tell me how community service or volunteer work in the community is at EVMS? What opportunities are available? Thanks!
1. First Response
Bystander CPR- assessing why Norfolk has one of the lowest rates of bystander CPR in the country (11%). Taking surveys and teaching free CPR classes to the public (I can talk more about this b/c I'm in this project)
Stroke awareness- attend 8 hr Stroke Awareness Certification training and then run ASLS trainings in high-risk stroke communities to help improve staff and resident skills in early stroke detection
2. Nutrition and Exercise
CHOW (Choosing Healthy Options for Wellness) -
LIFT- Work with Jim WHite Fitness & Nutrition Studios in VB to help inprove nutrition and fitness in homeless
Young at Heart- Provide structured,safe environment for children at PB Young Elementary to learn nutrition, fitness, and fine arts.
3. Underserved and Health Inequities
HOPES Free Clinic- only 100% student run free clinic in Virginia to serve community
Chesapeake Care Clinic
Medical Spanish
4. The Elderly and Chronically Ill
Beyond Clinic Walls- Students in interprofessional teams make home visits to underserved elderly to check food supply, safety hazards, etc
Albero House- Long-term care home for young adults with severe physical and intellectual disabilities. Help residents with activities
5. Infectious Disease
HIV Treatment Quality Improvement - students prioritize which performance measures or needs will provide max benefits to patients
STI Focused Community Needs Assessment- Study methods for gatherins relevant community-focused data on STIs, then create systemic needs assessment protocol
I hope this helps! Even if you do not get HOPES for service learning, you can stil volunteer there as much as possible. They offer free clinics in Women's Health, Primary Care, Ultrasound, Ortho, Optho, and more every Wed-Fri 5-9pm. The service learning projects do not include clubs that also do volunteer work. BEACH Buddies works with pairing students to a Heme/Onc patient at the Children's hospital next door (CHKD). I could go on all day about volunteer opportunities, plus you could create your own!!
I'm applying to this school, OOS, Non-Trad, URM with a LizzyM of ~64. I'm really interested in EVMS and I have begun pre-writing the essays based on the topics consistently being the same from previous cycles.
Would any current EVMS students be willing to read over my secondary and give me some constructive feedback?
Thank you!
You can send it to me if you like. I am a current M2 at EVMS!
Hi all. I am a current M2 at EVMS and absolutely love it here. I was an OOS (from California), GPA 3.85/ MCAT 28/ non-traditional student. I also was pregnant when I applied/interviewed and started school with a 7 month old, so if anyone has questions about medical school with a kid, feel free to send questions my way. EVMS is an amazing school! I am so happy the I ended up here!!!
I would just choose one thing and expand upon it, adding in personal experience(s) if possible (if it's a medically-related experience then that would probably be a bonus 🙂)
While I am not on the admissions committee, a single in-depth response would probably provide more insight on the applicant than multiple "shallower" answers. (When I applied last year I stuck to one thing only)
Thank you both! I took your advice and stuck with one idea for each and just expanded a little more 🙂I also just did one for both of them. But I'm sure you could talk about more than one and it wouldn't matter much. And I would say I probably had a few characters left over for each prompt.
You were right about emails slipping through the cracks. 😳 I was searching through my email inbox for the office's contact info and found the "complete app" status update which came just a few days after I submitted!You can always call the admissions office to check the status of your application (they're super friendly and helpful!). I know when I applied, there were some schools' emails that somehow slipped through the cracks so it doesn't hurt to call just to verify, especially if you've been waiting for nearly a month now 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats!II, OOS, complete 7/20
Just got my compete email today. They never asked me to send any paperwork in for IS status so that was kind of weird.
II, OOS, complete 7/20
Congrats! Through e-mail or portal?
Congrats! Through e-mail or portal?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K