2016-2017 Hofstra University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dream school. Completed 7/30! Anyone know how good they are at notifying you of status? (As in, will I be hanging in the balance for months just to be ultimately rejected?)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
II earlier today!! Can't wait!

Reactions: 1 user
Got an II last week as well, I can't wait!

Hi everyone. I'm currently a 4th year at Hofstra. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the school.

II! do we know how many people interview for this/ get accepted? I am horrible at finding these stats on websites so if anyone knows I would so appreciate the info!

Hi everyone. I'm currently a 4th year at Hofstra. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the school.
Hi! How was your interview day? And if you were accepted to more than one school, why Hofstra?

Any info you are willing to provide is super helpful, thank you in advance!

Interview Scheduled here Next month..does this school do a stress interview?

Im getting that vibe from the interview feedbacks..

Members don't see this ad :)
II! do we know how many people interview for this/ get accepted? I am horrible at finding these stats on websites so if anyone knows I would so appreciate the info!

Congrats! When were you complete?

According to MSAR they interviewed 820 people last year, 99 matriculated

MSAR homie.

Dos!

OOS / 70-75 / mid-July

Congrats everyone! Got a II as well! Lizzy M 72, complete 7/18

Reactions: 1 users
Got the II a few weeks ago and neglected to post it!

Hey all, I was curious if you guys ever got an "application complete" email? I was complete in the portal on 8/4, but never received an "Application Complete" email as suggested in the "application submitted" email.

I know it's early for me to worry about getting an II given the 8/4 completion date, but I'm confused about the discrepancy between my portal saying that my application is "complete and in the review process" versus actually getting an application complete email (checked spam, etc).

Hey all, I was curious if you guys ever got an "application complete" email? I was complete in the portal on 8/4, but never received an "Application Complete" email as suggested in the "application submitted" email.

I know it's early for me to worry about getting an II given the 8/4 completion date, but I'm confused about the discrepancy between my portal saying that my application is "complete and in the review process" versus actually getting an application complete email (checked spam, etc).
I did receive a complete email a few days after submission, Here is what it said:

"Your application is now complete and currently in the review process. We appreciate your continued patience during this time.

We will be sending out interview invitations via email up until the end of January. If you are invited to interview, you will receive an email from us.

Please keep in mind that you are under consideration for an interview invitation until you hear otherwise. Our staff will be unable to provide any additional information on your review status or decision timetable."

I did receive a complete email a few days after submission, Here is what it said:

"Your application is now complete and currently in the review process. We appreciate your continued patience during this time.

We will be sending out interview invitations via email up until the end of January. If you are invited to interview, you will receive an email from us.

Please keep in mind that you are under consideration for an interview invitation until you hear otherwise. Our staff will be unable to provide any additional information on your review status or decision timetable."

hey thanks for the quick reply (to both threads lol, you must be able to tell that I am going through my spreadsheet), mind if I bother you for the date of submission/email???

hey thanks for the quick reply (to both threads lol, you must be able to tell that I am going through my spreadsheet), mind if I bother you for the date of submission/email???
Of course. I submitted 7/3 and received a complete email on 7/5.

do you guys think i stand a chance at getting an II here with a 504 mcat? i have tons of research and 3.6+

do you guys think i stand a chance at getting an II here with a 504 mcat? i have tons of research and 3.6+
i havent heard back from them and i have a 513 mcat...
Stats aren't everything. That being said though, Hofstra does incline toward higher MCATs, so that is a big part of who they are. But that does not mean that you should not apply with a 504. I am applying with a similar MCAT score.

For anyone following my neuroticism with the complete/review email sequence/timing/process, I received the "in review" email this morning after having LOR in on 8/4.

I want an II here and i submitted 7/15. Is that not gonna happen????

Hi everyone! I'm a MS1 at Hofstra. I'm only 3 weeks in, but LMK if you have any questions I can help answer about Hofstra.

Hi everyone! I'm a MS1 at Hofstra. I'm only 3 weeks in, but LMK if you have any questions I can help answer about Hofstra.

Hey pop,

1) An SDN interviewee said that the gross anatomy at Hofstra doesn't allow students to do dissections--they're done by a clinician in front of you. Is that true?

2) What do your classmates think of the 2015 expansion? How great are the new facilities?

3) Would you say that PBL is the standard by which you're presented all material, or is it just supplemental to traditional instruction?

Hi! How was your interview day? And if you were accepted to more than one school, why Hofstra?

Any info you are willing to provide is super helpful, thank you in advance!

The interview day is pretty chill overall. For me and a lot of the people in my class we had a good cop bad cop interview. My first interview was really conversational, just asked about me, my interests, anything I wanted to talk about. We actually got along so well someone had to come tell us that our time was up. My second interview was a little more stressfull. She asked point blank about any weak spots in my application and I was their third class so she had a lot of queations for me about why Hofstra in particular, and didn't want any cookie cutter answers. The rest of the interview day is relaxed. You get some lectures about the curriculum, financial aid, etc. You have an interview lunch with the current students and a quick tour of the school.

I got in to 3 other really good, more established medical schools. I chose Hofstra because their curriculum seemed so much more interesting than anywhere else I had interviewed. The small group, case based sessions are the core of our curriculum. You don't learn anything in isolation really and that helped me a lot in understanding the how and why of things. Additionally the students here genuinely seemed to like each other and get along which wasn't always the case at my other interviews.

Additionally the health system has I think 19 hospitals at last count which is a tremendous amount of oppurtunities to do almost anything you could think of.

Last edited:
Hey pop,

1) An SDN interviewee said that the gross anatomy at Hofstra doesn't allow students to do dissections--they're done by a clinician in front of you. Is that true?

2) What do your classmates think of the 2015 expansion? How great are the new facilities?

3) Would you say that PBL is the standard by which you're presented all material, or is it just supplemental to traditional instruction?

Hi there, just wanted to give my two cents.
We have prosections that we learn most of our anatomy from. There are amazing and you get to see the intracacies of the body better than you would cutting away by yourself. That said we do have a certain amount of dissections that we have to do by ourselves during the year. The main complaint we get from interviewees about this is the concern that you won't have the experience cutting for surgery. Working on a cadaver is nothing like working on a person. You aren't losing out on anything.

The 2015 expansion was boss. The new building is beautiful and we have a kick ass lounge now.

PBL/CBL is how we learn 75-85% of everything. So it is a very self directed style of learning. It is very easy to fall behind if you don't want to work.

Hey pop,

1 - Like Trix already mentioned, we learn our anatomy through prosections, so no, we're not doing dissections ourselves (that being said, we did do some dissections during our first lab). I don't want to repeat anything Trix has already mentioned, so I'll just add that if you do decide that you love dissection and you don't want to miss out on that experience, just ask! I've heard from upperclassmen that it's completely possible to help do the dissections with the clinicians prior to lab (after all, someone has to do it).

2- The new facilities are amazing!! The new building is very beautiful, and the student lounge is bomb. My year spends so much time in the lounge between and after classes.

3- We're learning from PBL/CBL predominantly. I'd say that the 'traditional instruction' is supplemental to PEARLS (what we call PBL/CBL sessions). It's obviously not a traditional approach to learning (and therefore isn't perfect for everyone), but I am pleasantly surprised by how much I'm retaining because of it.

The interview day is pretty chill overall. For me and a lot of the people in my class we had a good cop bad cop interview. My first interview was really conversational, just asked about me, my interests, anything I wanted to talk about. We actually got along so well someone had to come tell us that our time was up. My second interview was a little more stressfull. She asked point blank about any weak spots in my application and I was their third class so she had a lot of queations for me about why Hofstra in particular, and didn't want any cookie cutter answers. The rest of the interview day is relaxed. You get some lectures about the curriculum, financial aid, etc. You have an interview lunch with the current students and a quick tour of the school.

I got in to 3 other really good, more established medical schools. I chose Hofstra because their curriculum seemed so much more interesting than anywhere else I had interviewed. The small group, case based sessions are the core of our curriculum. You don't learn anything in isolation really and that helped me a lot in understanding the how and why of things. Additionally the students here genuinely seemed to like each other and get along which wasn't always the case at my other interviews.

Additionally the health system has I think 19 hospitals at last count which is a tremendous amount of oppurtunities to do almost anything you could think of.
Have any friends in the MD/PhD program?

Does Hofstra offer an option for interviewees to stay with student hosts?
(II today. Complete 7/24)

II!!! Picked 10/6, earliest date available.

LizzyM 75, complete 7/7.

just submitted my secondary! now the wait begins...

For those of you who signed up for an interview recently, was 10/6 still the earliest date available to sign up?