2016-2017 Howard University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know this is not related to our discussion, but I found this interesting :D

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 4.15.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 4.15.29 PM.png
    442.3 KB · Views: 233
Reactions: 3 users
Can you guys reach the secondary's website? I already paid the fee and just need to submit my application but I can't open the website anymore? is there a glitch from the school's end, or is it only me?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you guys reach the secondary's website? I already paid the fee and just need to submit my application but I can't open the website anymore? is there a glitch from the school's end, or is it only me?

Im pretty sure they stated in my "complete" email that all updates and communication will be through emails, including interview invites, and indicated to not use the portal

Last edited:

Submitted my app already but for a few days now I haven't been able to access the portal either. I think it's a glitch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
According to last years application thread the first II seen was on 9/30 and then in October there were a bunch. It looks like we might see some movement in the next few weeks folks so hang in there.

Reactions: 5 users
Was anyone else "Complete" before the school received their new MCAT score? I just received my new MCAT score last week, but I had received the "Complete" email prior to that. I'd really like for the school to base my admission on my newer score lol.

I'm going to call to verify. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?

Was anyone else "Complete" before the school received their new MCAT score? I just received my new MCAT score last week, but I had received the "Complete" email prior to that. I'd really like for the school to base my admission on my newer score lol.

I'm going to call to verify. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?
Im in the same boat! And I am a reapplicant was on the waitlist last cycle so I'm hoping they see the new score. I tried calling last week but couldn't reach anyone. I'll probably try again this week...

Anyone knows if they honor fee waiver?

Also, for a week been trying to reach secondary portal, no luck,,, I reached out and they sent me an email saying they are having Tech problem and working on it, hopefully by Monday

Im in the same boat! And I am a reapplicant was on the waitlist last cycle so I'm hoping they see the new score. I tried calling last week but couldn't reach anyone. I'll probably try again this week...

What was the MCAT score you got wait listed on if you dont mind sharing?

I'll be calling in tomorrow during their specified time. I figure as long as new the score is on our primary we should be all right. But, I want to be sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
The website is down. I called this morning to confirm and they said it's been down since last Wednesday. They apologized on their end as their email service is also down.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone knows if they honor fee waiver?

Also, for a week been trying to reach secondary portal, no luck,,, I reached out and they sent me an email saying they are having Tech problem and working on it, hopefully by Monday
For Howard, they do not waive the secondary fee so you still have to pay the $75 for the secondary.

I just want to send a shout out to the members that call and keep us informed. You da real MVPs!

Reactions: 4 users
Wow, looks like they are so disorganized. I start to wonder about the quality of medical education Howard provides. If it is similar to their admissions and tech support, I worry...

Reactions: 1 users
Is the secondary website working for anyone yet lol

I called and got a voice mail that said "Judith Walk Retired leave a message at the tone" What kind of message is that? Idk what the hell is going on but its worrisome.

I called and got a voice mail that said "Judith Walk Retired leave a message at the tone" What kind of message is that? Idk what the hell is going on but its worrisome.
Isn't that the admissions director?

I'm sure things will get back to normal soon, guys. If the system is halted for you, then that means no one is seeing any movement. It will be ok.

Last edited:
Yes, Ms. Walk retired this year. I'm sure things will get back to normal soon, guys. If the system is halted for you, then that means no one is seeing any movement. It will be ok.
I agree with you. My worry is from what happened in past years when the system went down and came back they loss some applicants info and didn't realize it till pretty late and send out "oops messages" and wanted people to email if they were still interested. NOT SAYING THAT IS WHAT IS GOING ON RIGHT NOW. So neurotic pre-meds don't freak out. I'm just making a comment. I'm not worried that others are being reviewed in front of me etc. Its much too early in their cycle for that.

Reactions: 4 users
I agree with you. My worry is from what happened in past years when the system went down and came back they loss some applicants info and didn't realize it till pretty late and send out "oops messages" and wanted people to email if they were still interested. NOT SAYING THAT IS WHAT IS GOING ON RIGHT NOW. So neurotic pre-meds don't freak out. I'm just making a comment. I'm not worried that others are being reviewed in front of me etc. Its much too early in their cycle for that.

Gotcha. I didn't realize there was a system outage before that happened.

I called today and surprisingly someone answered! I was told that their system is currently down, so just as we cant access the portal/submit secondaries, they cant access our applications, so they are temporarily pausing the process to give a fair chance to those who want to hand in their secondaries now but cant for the time being because of the system issue, and that no interviews have been given and that they will probably not start handing out interviews until the middle of October.

I called today and surprisingly someone answered! I was told that their system is currently down, so just as we cant access the portal/submit secondaries, they cant access our applications, so they are temporarily pausing the process to give a fair chance to those who want to hand in their secondaries now but cant for the time being because of the system issue, and that no interviews have been given and that they will probably not start handing out interviews until the middle of October.
Awww man :/

Does anyone know the average MCAT Howard accepts?

Hey!
I recently applied to Howard College of Medicine. I have a 503 MCAT and a 4.0 GPA. I am also out of state. Do you think I have a chance?

Hey!
I recently applied to Howard College of Medicine. I have a 503 MCAT and a 4.0 GPA. I am also out of state. Do you think I have a chance?

As long as you are an underrepresented minority or have experience working with populations with healthcare disparities then you definately have a chance unless they're in to yield protection, which I am not sure of.

Hello, I completed my app on 8/31. I'm an Asian Male with a 3.33 gpa and 507 MCAT. I do have a good amount of service work in underserved areas both clinical and non-clinical, I was also born in the Philippines. Do I have a chance here? Thanks!

Hello, I completed my app on 8/31. I'm an Asian Male with a 3.33 gpa and 507 MCAT. I do have a good amount of service work in underserved areas both clinical and non-clinical, I was also born in the Philippines. Do I have a chance here? Thanks!

did you mean secondary app or primary?

Nope. I was hoping this notification was about that lol

A buddy of mine received an II last week!

Sent from my Studio 6.0 LTE using SDN mobile

That's wonderful! I was under the impression that they weren't giving out II's until they had sorted out their system errors, though? The portal was down for over a week if I'm not mistaken.

That's wonderful! I was under the impression that they weren't giving out II's until they had sorted out their system errors, though? The portal was down for over a week if I'm not mistaken.

yeah, thats kind of surprising that he received one last week since they withheld their review within that time frame!!!! WEIRD!!!!!

I was completed on 8/31 as well, did anyone on here hear anything back?

I was in the DC area, came to see the admissions office. Guy in charge said he sent out emails today. Lets stay connected and let one another know what happens.