2016-2017 New York Medical College Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

In the secondary, we're asked to include the name, number, and credit hours for the course taken with each academic letter writer. How has everyone handled professors with whom they've taken multiple classes?
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 4.09.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 4.09.13 PM.png
    82 KB · Views: 257
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In the secondary, we're asked to include the name, number, and credit hours for the course taken with each academic letter writer. How has everyone handled professors with whom they've taken multiple classes?

I emailed them, and they said to simply pick one class.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
I graduated in 2014 and have been in an SMP since last fall. I guess I can't even proceed with the secondary since UG letters are required?

That honestly makes no sense to me. Why would they rather have a letter from a chem professor I took a 300+ person class with freshman year when I can provide much better recent letters from med school courses I've taken?
 
I graduated in 2014 and have been in an SMP since last fall. I guess I can't even proceed with the secondary since UG letters are required?

That honestly makes no sense to me. Why would they rather have a letter from a chem professor I took a 300+ person class with freshman year when I can provide much better recent letters from med school courses I've taken?

I'm in the same boat. I only have 2 letters from UG, 1 letter for research PI, and 3 letters from my SMP program.
Does this mean I'm automatically disqualified from applying?
 
I'm in the same boat. I only have 2 letters from UG, 1 letter for research PI, and 3 letters from my SMP program.
Does this mean I'm automatically disqualified from applying?

No idea, but have you gone through the secondary? They require you to list your UG 2x science 1x non-science, what class you took with them, course #, etc as part of the secondary. So I don't think I can even proceed since all my letters are recent and from my SMP.
 
No idea, but have you gone through the secondary? They require you to list your UG 2x science 1x non-science, what class you took with them, course #, etc as part of the secondary. So I don't think I can even proceed since all my letters are recent and from my SMP.
Call admissions. They are willing to make exceptions on case by case basis. Last year, I didn't have the nonscience letter and they told me I can either wait and get the letter or write them an email explaining why I could not get it.
 
No idea, but have you gone through the secondary? They require you to list your UG 2x science 1x non-science, what class you took with them, course #, etc as part of the secondary. So I don't think I can even proceed since all my letters are recent and from my SMP.

Same all my letters are from my SMP so I'm stuck now.

Has anyone else had this issue? I don't have a single UG letter at this moment and I definitely won't be reaching out to professors I haven't spoken to in years.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In case anyone was still in the same boat as me, I was verified for AMCAS on like....6/10 or something (way before first batch) and I *just* got a secondary yesterday. (LizzyM of like ~73)

Don't worry, it's coming 🙂
 
In case anyone was still in the same boat as me, I was verified for AMCAS on like....6/10 or something (way before first batch) and I *just* got a secondary yesterday. (LizzyM of like ~73)

Don't worry, it's coming 🙂

Weird. I submitted my primary 2 days ago and got the secondary yesterday. LizzyM is ~63. Seems like they just do it in huge batches.
 
Does anybody know how many and what the breakdown of letters they'd like is? I've looked in their site and I haven't been able to get this information. Haven't gotten a secondary yet.
 
Hey guys so I submitted 7/8, and also sent letters from AMCAS to NYMC 7/8. Checking on my status, it still says "In order to view your received evaluations your secondary application must first be processed by the Admissions Office" under Letters of Evaluation. It seems like they haven't received them yet and it's been over a week. Anyone else experiencing the same?
 
Does anybody know how many and what the breakdown of letters they'd like is? I've looked in their site and I haven't been able to get this information. Haven't gotten a secondary yet.
You have to have atleast 3, 2 science faculty and 1 non-science. One of those has to be within your major. Then on the secondary you can list up to 2 more. But they said somewhere that they will read/include in your file all LORs you send.
 
Does anybody know how many and what the breakdown of letters they'd like is? I've looked in their site and I haven't been able to get this information. Haven't gotten a secondary yet.
You have to have atleast 3, 2 science faculty and 1 non-science. One of those has to be within your major. Then on the secondary you can list up to 2 more. But they said somewhere that they will read/include in your file all LORs you send.
The letters that sunshinefl mentioned is for the undergraduate sections. These letters can also be replaced by a committee letter from your undergraduate college. If you have attended graduate school, NYMC also requires a letter from one of your professors or research mentors at that school or a committee letter from the school. Also like sunshinefl said, you can add 2 more optional letters on top of the ones aforementioned.
 
The letters that sunshinefl mentioned is for the undergraduate sections. These letters can also be replaced by a committee letter from your undergraduate college. If you have attended graduate school, NYMC also requires a letter from one of your professors or research mentors at that school or a committee letter from the school. Also like sunshinefl said, you can add 2 more optional letters on top of the ones aforementioned.
Yeah sorry, in my cycle tracking sheet I only put what's relevant to me...and my school doesn't have a committee and I'm not in grad school. I didn't mean to be incomplete.
 
I appreciate all your help. I'm confused about one thing though, since it says one letter must be from "within your major"--does this mean a class that was required for your major? So, like, would a class that counts toward my major be sufficient?

My major is genetics, but I don't have a letter from a professor who taught a class that was listed as "genetics" and in fact I think I only really took three classes in my career that were listed as "genetics" specifically.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I appreciate all your help. I'm confused about one thing though, since it says one letter must be from "within your major"--does this mean a class that was required for your major? So, like, would a class that counts toward my major be sufficient?

My major is genetics, but I don't have a letter from a professor who taught a class that was listed as "genetics" and in fact I think I only really took three classes in my career that were listed as "genetics" specifically.
If your school is anything like mine was, genetics is a major but is essentially categorized as a concentration within biology. So, you could use a LOR from any biology class. I did the same thing as a neuroscience major and their office quickly replied saying that it was ok
 
probably a stupid question, but if you have a committee letter from your school, then you don't need to fill out all the individual rec letter stuff right?
 
Just curious, but did anyone else find the July 10th CASPer test to be VERY similar to the APE Full Length CASPer tests? Especially the personal situation questions!!!! I won't say which specific practice test, as I'm sure many people still have not yet taken CASPer.
 
Alright, I called admissions to ask about the case with missing letters:

  • You must email admissions to request your application be complete with the missing letters. Your application will not be as competitive if you are missing a letter they want.
Current students: Have any of you gotten in with average stats and missing a LOR? Unsure if it is worth $140 for a less than stellar chance.
 
submitted secondary today. I also am in the same boat of the unverifieds so it was kind of odd to have been able to submit.
 
Anyone receive a completion email? I submitted on 7/9, took CASPer on 7/10. I am guessing we will receive notification when our CASPer is scored.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone receive a completion email? I submitted on 7/9, took CASPer on 7/10. I am guessing we will receive notification when our CASPer is scored.
NYMC does not send a completion email or at least they did not do so in the last cycle. If you are missing something, the admissions coordinator will contact you. Otherwise, you can monitor the status of your application through this link:
https://legacy.nymc.edu/Medadmission/Default.aspx?i=1&Choice=AS
 
From the secondary:

One (1) of your three letters of evaluation must be from the department in which you majored as identified on your AMCAS application - whether science or non-science.


I didn't have a LOR from my major. Anybody else have any advice on this?


Edit: Called the school and discussed this issue with them - problem solved.
 
Last edited:
From the secondary:

One (1) of your three letters of evaluation must be from the department in which you majored as identified on your AMCAS application - whether science or non-science.


I didn't have a LOR from my major. Anybody else have any advice on this?
I got what is probably a fairly generic letter from a professor in my major that I am only using for NYMC's requirement. I'm also sending them 5 other letters to better represent me.
 
This is a school that is typically mission/service orientated right? I just got my secondary today and I'm really looking for schools like that. It's the general impression I got from their website but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything
 
No completion email. I just checked mine and it says that my letters were receive(uploaded) today and:
"Your secondary application was completed by the Office of Admissions and is currently under review by the Committee on Admissions."
Going off their system I doubt it means actual under review right now, just in the complete pile somewhere.