2016-2017 New York Medical College Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
secondary received and submitted! Hoping to get some love 🙂
 
No completion email. I just checked mine and it says that my letters were receive(uploaded) today and:
"Your secondary application was completed by the Office of Admissions and is currently under review by the Committee on Admissions."
Going off their system I doubt it means actual under review right now, just in the complete pile somewhere.

+1

Submitted 7/7, letters finally marked as received 7/19
 
Alright, I called admissions to ask about the case with missing letters:

  • You must email admissions to request your application be complete with the missing letters. Your application will not be as competitive if you are missing a letter they want.
Current students: Have any of you gotten in with average stats and missing a LOR? Unsure if it is worth $140 for a less than stellar chance.

I'm also missing an LOR. I haven't taken a non-science class at my current university, so I'm substituting a letter from my Army supervisor.. Hope this doesn't significantly impact my app.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Will doing Casper on 8/11 significantly delay my application and hurt my chances?
I would like to say no, since last year, people received II before NYMC received their Casper scores. However, last year was the first time NYMC used Casper and I assume it was more of a trial run than an actual part of the admission process. August isn't late in the application cycle so even if Casper holds significant weight in your app, it should not hurt your chances.
 
Will doing Casper on 8/11 significantly delay my application and hurt my chances?
I can't quote it exactly because I don't have it in front of me, but I definitely remember somewhere within the instructions for the NYMC application process there was a section that mentioned the possibility of interviewing before casper is completed. I think they are still in a process of using casper to gather data about their applicants rather than a part of the admissions decision. Likely they hope that it will eventually be reliable enough to be yet another tool to sort applicants and reduce their pool of interviewees.
 
Anyone else doing Casper tomorrow? I've heard the site crashes worse than a NASCAR pileup on these summer test dates, so I guess I should be expecting to have a hard time.
 
I am at 5pm. Hoping for a smooth experience. Are you prepping in any way ?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I am taking it and I just spent the last twenty minutes looking at some sample questions on the CASPer website. I made sure I could formulate an answer right away and then moved to the next question after that. There is not much to prep for. Be yourself. I wish you and @NoteBlock good luck! Hopefully the website won't crash!
 
Anyone else doing Casper tomorrow? I've heard the site crashes worse than a NASCAR pileup on these summer test dates, so I guess I should be expecting to have a hard time.

I am at 5pm. Hoping for a smooth experience. Are you prepping in any way ?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am also taking CASPER tomorrow at 5pm.
 
I am taking it and I just spent the last twenty minutes looking at some sample questions on the CASPer website. I made sure I could formulate an answer right away and then moved to the next question after that. There is not much to prep for. Be yourself. I wish you and @NoteBlock good luck! Hopefully the website won't crash!

I'm definitely going to look through the website again. Good luck to you as well!
 
I am at 5pm. Hoping for a smooth experience. Are you prepping in any way ?

I did the mini practice test offered on Casper's site as part of the system requirements test to get a feel for the questions and time limit. Five minutes is pretty quick, but I've gotten a feel for the pacing. I'll likely be going onto my school's campus to take the test, however, rather than staying in my apartment, because the different in internet bitrate is absolutely ridiculous (22 Mbps at home, 450 Mbps at school).
 
Alright, I called admissions to ask about the case with missing letters:

  • You must email admissions to request your application be complete with the missing letters. Your application will not be as competitive if you are missing a letter they want.
Current students: Have any of you gotten in with average stats and missing a LOR? Unsure if it is worth $140 for a less than stellar chance.

"Your AMCAS application shows that you are currently taking graduate school courses. We are going to complete your application so that it may continue to move through the process, with the understanding that the necessary evaluation letter will arrive by our January 31st deadline. Failure to provide this letter by the deadline will render your application incomplete."

Do I still need to e-mail them to ask for my application to be complete with the missing letter? It sounds like that would be redundant?

Also, my graduate program hasn't started yet, so I was physically unable to get them the letter by the normal deadline hah.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So that CASper time limit is quite unreasonable coming from someone who does not type fast at all... I wonder how much schools use it in their decision because I may be screwed because of it :/
 
So that CASper time limit is quite unreasonable coming from someone who does not type fast at all... I wonder how much schools use it in their decision because I may be screwed because of it :/

Agreed. I type pretty fast but nearly ran out of time during the practice test. You don't really have time to stop and think, you kinda just have to go with what pops into your head first, which might be the point of the strict time limit.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
@dinomite00 Unless I'm mistaken this is only NYMC's 2nd year doing this, so they may still be working out the kinks as far as how much they want to factor it in.
 
I think they want a general gist of how well you can find a solution to these answers. I would shoot for 1:40 per question. So you're gonna wanna move to the next question with 3:20 left and then 1:40 left. Pace yourself!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Did I just get wrecked by a personality test? Well, it wasn't terrible. But some of my answers were not very well thought out and most likely not a good reflection of my ethical/moral standpoints due to the time limit.
 
Did I just get wrecked by a personality test? Well, it wasn't terrible. But some of my answers were not very well thought out and most likely not a good reflection of my ethical/moral standpoints due to the time limit.
Agreed, but I do not think it was too bad. Adcom will take into account you had 5 minutes on the test.

Haha I just typed that reply so quickly. Still not off the CASPer grind <- this sentence as well.
 
Just finished it. Didn't think it was too bad although I agree that I wish I had a bit more time to think my answers over (I think I got cut off in the middle of 1 question *sigh*).

Question for anyone who's taken it in the past, am I supposed to get some sort of email from Casper acknowledging the test was complete or the scores were sent to NYMC? I like to keep very thorough records.
 
Just finished it. Didn't think it was too bad although I agree that I wish I had a bit more time to think my answers over (I think I got cut off in the middle of 1 question *sigh*).

Question for anyone who's taken it in the past, am I supposed to get some sort of email from Casper acknowledging the test was complete or the scores were sent to NYMC? I like to keep very thorough records.
Once NYMC has your score, it will be posted on your status portal.
 
Casper was straight garbage. My responses sucked. Thank god only a handful of US schools are joining the Canadian bandwagon.

It's an interesting and neat concept but man oh man, what a struggle.
 
Also, does anyone know if the schools actually see your response to the questions? hahah, just praying they don't
They don't see your responses. There are 12 people who score the exam; one for each section. Your score is then averaged and sent to the designated school(s) without the actual responses.
 
They don't see your responses. There are 12 people who score the exam; one for each section. Your score is then averaged and sent to the designated school(s) without the actual responses.
Awesome! Hopefully my good sections make up for the lesser ones
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm also scheduled for 8/11. Such fun. I looked at the sample Q's today and here's the thing... in REAL life, in social/group situations my actions (and those of most people) -especially in conflict resolution- are determined by what we know about the others in the group! Who they are, what types of things they like to do, how they typically react, etc ... and so every decision we make IRL would be different depending on the circumstances and the people present. I know it sounds like I'm stating the obvious, but THAT is completely absent on CASPer and anything else like it. How frustrating 🙁
 
I'm also scheduled for 8/11. Such fun. I looked at the sample Q's today and here's the thing... in REAL life, in social/group situations my actions (and those of most people) -especially in conflict resolution- are determined by what we know about the others in the group! Who they are, what types of things they like to do, how they typically react, etc ... and so every decision we make IRL would be different depending on the circumstances and the people present. I know it sounds like I'm stating the obvious, but THAT is completely absent on CASPer and anything else like it. How frustrating 🙁

True. Of course, there are some situations in life where we may have to make decisions when we don't know/don't have the full story.
 
True. Of course, there are some situations in life where we may have to make decisions when we don't know/don't have the full story.
Of course. But even then, you can make finding out part of the solution and you get immediate feedback from those you're addressing and can adapt accordingly. My point was just that it is a far cry from demonstrating real life situations
 
Just took Casper. Jeez, this is the dumbest test conceived by the Med School Gods. 5 minutes to answer three questions. I was cut off for nearly every question. What a joke. I hope med schools realize that it can't evaluate personality. MMIs make sense, but this is such a ridiculous exam.
 
Anyone on this thread that took CASPer considering NOT sending their scores to Tulane? (Assuming you also applied to Tulane)


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

After taking it, I regret sending it to Tulane. People are getting IIs without having taken it at Tulane, so maybe's it's not as important as they say. Did they recommend or highly recommend? If highly I would take; If just recommended, I wouldn't be as bothered.
 
Also just finished taking the exam. I am glad I didn't have any technical issues or have any prompts that invoked ambiguity.
 
Also just finished taking the exam. I am glad I didn't have any technical issues or have any prompts that invoked ambiguity.

I had a prompt that just didn't make complete sense, where I was told I was a friend, then a health professional. I was like who am I????
 
I'm also scheduled for 8/11. Such fun. I looked at the sample Q's today and here's the thing... in REAL life, in social/group situations my actions (and those of most people) -especially in conflict resolution- are determined by what we know about the others in the group! Who they are, what types of things they like to do, how they typically react, etc ... and so every decision we make IRL would be different depending on the circumstances and the people present. I know it sounds like I'm stating the obvious, but THAT is completely absent on CASPer and anything else like it. How frustrating 🙁
I do agree that our actions are dependent on the context of the conflict or the presented scenario. However, there are ethical standards and guidelines that you are expected to follow.
I had a prompt that just didn't make complete sense, where I was told I was a friend, then a health professional. I was like who am I????
Lol, It seems that we took the same exam, the 8pm one. I cannot recall this prompt. I was writing like a mad man and probably missed what the questions were asking at least half of the time. I must say though that they were really fixated on a specific topic. For integrity purposes, I cannot say what, but throughout the test, I was thinking to myself, how many different ethical situations can someone extrapolate from one topic.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also just finished taking the exam. I am glad I didn't have any technical issues or have any prompts that invoked ambiguity.

Yeah, I only had one slight hiccup where the questions took a little while to load. Seems like they've worked out the bugs from last year (or fewer people are taking it in July compared to last year).
 
Hey so I sent my info a while back and have been complete at many schools already and took the Casper at the beginning of last month, though nothing seems to have updated on my status portal. Anyone else having similar problems?
 
Hey so I sent my info a while back and have been complete at many schools already and took the Casper at the beginning of last month, though nothing seems to have updated on my status portal. Anyone else having similar problems?
Same here. Took the CASPer a few weeks ago and nothing has updated in my portal, except now my secondary application says it is complete. Does that mean that they have my CASPer score?