You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Pennsylvania State University Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Was just put on hold. What does it mean when they say:
"Should your application remain active beyond the AMCAS reporting date of April 30, 2017, you will remain in the Hold category."
Are they just saying as long as we do not withdraw we will stay on the waitlist?
"Should your application remain active beyond the AMCAS reporting date of April 30, 2017, you will remain in the Hold category."
Are they just saying as long as we do not withdraw we will stay on the waitlist?
What's the difference between post-interview hold and wait-list????
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got an e-mail saying my application was placed on hold. I had my interview early March
What's the difference between post-interview hold and wait-list????[/QUOTE
I was just about to ask the same thing
Also placed in the hold list
It looks like most late decisions were holds or rejections..Here's what I don't understand, the Facebook group has as of today 191 members. 5 are admin and I'm sure, as with other med schools, some members are M2s or M3s who are involved in admissions but not admins. So for the sake of argument, let's say that the group has 5 of those, that leaves 181 prospective students.
Penn State 2016 class had 144 students; if we consider a yield of 40-50%, the Facebook group should have 288-360 members. We're off by a lot, even taking into account those who may not have facebook...
Penn State 2016 class had 144 students; if we consider a yield of 40-50%, the Facebook group should have 288-360 members. We're off by a lot, even taking into account those who may not have facebook...
So I got the same hold e mail everyone else here got at 1:45 pm from the admissions committee. I then got another e mail at 3:30 about the accelerated 3+3 family medicine track that said "Congratulations on your acceptance to Penn State", but that was sent by Shou Ling Leong, M.D. Director Family Medicine Accelerated Program @ Penn State. I'm so confused right now.Post-interview hold. Interviewed late March.
So I got the same hold e mail everyone else here got at 1:45 pm from the admissions committee. I then got another e mail at 3:30 about the accelerated 3+3 family medicine track that said "Congratulations on your acceptance to Penn State", but that was sent by Shou Ling Leong, M.D. Director Family Medicine Accelerated Program @ Penn State. I'm so confused right now.
Same here, I'm on the phone with them and it sounds like that email was sent to lots of those on the hold list by mistake.
Man, what a crazy roller coaster of emotions.
Welp now the 3+3 program invite invitation has been recalled, twice actually. Way to take me on a weird emotional roller coaster Penn State!So I got the same hold e mail everyone else here got at 1:45 pm from the admissions committee. I then got another e mail at 3:30 about the accelerated 3+3 family medicine track that said "Congratulations on your acceptance to Penn State", but that was sent by Shou Ling Leong, M.D. Director Family Medicine Accelerated Program @ Penn State. I'm so confused right now.
Thanks for checking !Confirmed with Corrine. Do not fill this out or call unless you get an acceptance. This was a false alarm for those of us on hold.
I got the same email at 3:30PM.
I got the same series of emails ... put on hold, then the family medicine email, then the recall. It was an emotional rollercoaster for sure.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When did you interview ?Is there anyone still waiting for post II decision?
Good luck!
Officially withdrew my acceptance. Penn State gave me the most money of all the schools that accepted me, but the location is not a great fit for me. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!
Good Luck with your studies!Officially withdrew my acceptance. Penn State gave me the most money of all the schools that accepted me, but the location is not a great fit for me. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!
Thanks for your enthusiastic help !
I interviewed early march and was placed on hold. I'm bummed out because I still don't have an MD acceptance and I felt like this one was my best interview yet. I've had 5 interviews: of those 2 rejections and 3 holds/waitlists. At this point it's getting depressing guys
Do we know how many of us are on this hold list? And when we should hear back by?
I interviewed early march and was placed on hold. I'm bummed out because I still don't have an MD acceptance and I felt like this one was my best interview yet. I've had 5 interviews: of those 2 rejections and 3 holds/waitlists. At this point it's getting depressing guys
Stay strong! There should be significant waitlist movement beginning next week. Did you send them a letter of update/ intent or anything?
Does anyone know how much time we get off to study for STEP 1 during our clinical year??
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thank you. And yes I did send letters to the other two schools. But not penn state as I just now got put on the hold list. Will be sending a letter of intent shortly. I need a miracle.Stay strong! There should be significant waitlist movement beginning next week. Did you send them a letter of update/ intent or anything?
Guys,
Does anyone know if one has to withdraw from waitlist before today, or is that only acceptances?
Does anyone know if one has to withdraw from waitlist before today, or is that only acceptances?
Only acceptance. People can withdraw from waitlist anytime.Guys,
Does anyone know if one has to withdraw from waitlist before today, or is that only acceptances?
Only acceptance. People can withdraw from waitlist anytime.
Is it an online withdraw or is it through email phone etc
Is it an online withdraw or is it through email phone etc
i emailed them to withdraw
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do we need to send the LOI if being put on hold? since the hold email says "You should be aware that a subsequent decision will be based on the information presently contained in your file with the exception of updated official transcript records."
And how can we know if they receive the LOI or not after sending it?
+1
As far as I know they accept LOI after April 30th
As far as I know they accept LOI after April 30th
Where did you hear this? I emailed them and they told me only grade updates after the 30th
I called yesterday. The office told me they do accept LOIs now.Where did you hear this? I emailed them and they told me only grade updates after the 30th
I asked at my interviewWhere did you hear this? I emailed them and they told me only grade updates after the 30th
I called yesterday. The office told me they do accept LOIs now.
I asked at my interview
Thanks I'll send one in
+1, but don't know what it's for, since "You should be aware that a subsequent decision will be based on the information presently contained in your file with the exception of updated official transcript records."Thanks I'll send one in
+1, but don't know what it's for, since "You should be aware that a subsequent decision will be based on the information presently contained in your file with the exception of updated official transcript records."
Ya and they told me the same thing when I emailed but better safe than sorry I guess

Worst that could happen is they get slightly annoyed and ignore it.
Any ideas on how many of us are on the waitlist and how many will be taken off?
From MSAR, 25-35 will be taken off. 25 were taken off last year.Any ideas on how many of us are on the waitlist and how many will be taken off?
No idea how many people on the waitlist. Anyone?
The thing is that not all people who were put on hold receive that 3+ 3 program. I guess it's just sent to those who checked the box in the secondary app. So the number would be much greater than that I thinkWhen they sent out the mistake emails about the 3+3 program, in one of the emails the recipients weren't hidden and I believe there were around 170 recipients. Not sure if everyone on the hold list got that email, so at least 170 people would be my guess.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how soon we can expect some movement on the waitlist?
For sure, that's why I said at least 170 and said I wasn't sure if everyone got that email. I only know that I received it and saw over 170 others did.
The email didn't necessarily only go out to those on the waitlist. It could have also been intended for those who were already accepted and applied for the 3+3 right? Meaning possibly less on the hold list. I am on the hold list but didn't get them email, but I also didn't apply for that 3+3.
I just withdrew my acceptance today, after getting in off the WL at my dream school. I hope my spot goes to someone who will appreciate it!
I mean I guess if you insist, I'll take itI just withdrew my acceptance today, after getting in off the WL at my dream school. I hope my spot goes to someone who will appreciate it!
Just emailed to withdraw my place on the hold list today. Good luck guys!