You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Saint Louis University Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey everyone! I'm a current 4th year at SLU. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them, either in the thread or PM me. Best of luck with your interview season!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else show their LoR's haven't been received yet despite already having them submitted to AMCAS and being designated?
D
deleted626464
They say that interview season starts in September. How important is it to submit the secondary application early then?
- Is any member of your family a student or graduate of Saint Louis University School of Medicine?
Yes No - Will you be a full-time student for the 2016 - 2017 academic year?
Yes No- Please describe your current activities... (max 10,000 characters)
Character Count Meter10000
* Required
- Please describe your current activities... (max 10,000 characters)
- Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee?
Yes No
- Character Count Meter10000
* Required
- Character Count Meter10000
- Were you ever the recipient of any action (e.g. dismissal, disqualification, suspension, etc.) by any college for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violations?
Yes No
- Would you like to apply for the MD/PhD program?
Yes No - I have read and understand the academic and technical standards and can comply with those requirements.
Yes No
D
deleted626464
What are you all putting for question #3?
Secondary received!
I'll be leaving it blank. I don't think my life has been hard enough to warrant putting anything here
What are you all putting for question #3?
I'll be leaving it blank. I don't think my life has been hard enough to warrant putting anything here

What are you all putting for question #3?
Part of me says...this is your chance to tell SLU why you love them and want to be a student there!
The other part of me says... if SLU wanted a "Why SLU?" essay, they would have asked for it, so I don't know! Can't decide!
D
deleted626464
Part of me says...this is your chance to tell SLU why you love them and want to be a student there!
The other part of me says... if SLU wanted a "Why SLU?" essay, they would have asked for it, so I don't know! Can't decide!
That's my feeling as well. If they specifically wanted another essay, why not explicitly ask for it. I'll most likely be leaving it blank as well.
(Content redacted to preserve anonymity)
Last edited:
Mine were all between 2000-3000 characters.How is everyone handling the 10,000 character limit?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do the letters show up as received for anyone?
Stressing about this picture
Hahah! Me too... I have to plan for a friend/family to come by in next couple of days and take one. Can't just rely on an old, favorite selfie for this one!
Currently not marked as received, but I'm assuming this will lag by a few days.Do the letters show up as received for anyone?
I emailed them. There's a lag between when it's received and marked as received. Every school I've applied to with this specific application system all don't have my letters. Don't worry about it yet!Do the letters show up as received for anyone?
I emailed them. There's a lag between when it's received and marked as received. Every school I've applied to with this specific application system all don't have my letters. Don't worry about it yet!
Do you just submit it without the letters marked as received then?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yessir. Letters are independent of the actual secondary.Do you just submit it without the letters marked as received then?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
So.. how serious of a picture are we talking about here? I don't have many recent mugshots wearing a suit.
I just had my wife take a picture of me wearing a suit in front of a white wall, nothing too fancySo.. how serious of a picture are we talking about here? I don't have many recent mugshots wearing a suit.
is 1000 characters too short for a response? I can't really think of much else to write about working as a scribe full time in my year offHow is everyone handling the 10,000 character limit?
Mine ended up being pretty short too. I figure if you're answering the question asked you're ok.is 1000 characters too short for a response? I can't really think of much else to write about working as a scribe full time in my year off
Submitted my secondary last night, but my letters have not been marked "received."
Same here [emoji53]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Same here.Submitted my secondary last night, but my letters have not been marked "received."
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What do you mean by "finally," lol the secondary opened literally this week.Finally received my letters!
Application completed. Now onto waiting game (and writing the flood of secondaries) :'D
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
D
deleted776505
I am planning on applying here, but I was just looking on SLU's website and saw regarding AP classes that the school "usually recognizes undergraduate credit given for courses on the basis of advanced placement when this is indicated on the college transcript. However, for the specific minimum requirements given above, advanced placement credits are not generally acceptable." I took AP chem for my gen chem classes. Does anyone know if they would accept the AP credit for the inorganic chem requirement?
What do you mean by "finally," lol the secondary opened literally this week.
Just posting an update...
I don't know, it sounds like maybe not, but it might be worth it to contact them and ask.I am planning on applying here, but I was just looking on SLU's website and saw regarding AP classes that the school "usually recognizes undergraduate credit given for courses on the basis of advanced placement when this is indicated on the college transcript. However, for the specific minimum requirements given above, advanced placement credits are not generally acceptable." I took AP chem for my gen chem classes. Does anyone know if they would accept the AP credit for the inorganic chem requirement?
.
Last edited:
Post what you find out, because I'm sort of in the same boat. Took AP English, and my school was liberal arts, so my writing and literature was spread over the curriculum, not in "English" classes.
They will accept writing-intensive courses in place of "English" credits.
D
drnala15
If you mark "Yes" in response to question 2, do you still get the "Please describe your current activities"? I marked yes and I am not seeing this prompt anywhere! Not sure if I'm just being an airhead or not...
- Is any member of your family a student or graduate of Saint Louis University School of Medicine?
Yes No- Will you be a full-time student for the 2016 - 2017 academic year?
Yes No
- Please describe your current activities... (max 10,000 characters)
Character Count Meter10000
* Required- Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee?
Yes No
- Character Count Meter10000
* Required- Were you ever the recipient of any action (e.g. dismissal, disqualification, suspension, etc.) by any college for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violations?
Yes No
- Would you like to apply for the MD/PhD program?
Yes No- I have read and understand the academic and technical standards and can comply with those requirements.
Yes No

D
deleted706240
Submitting secondary tonight. Good luck everyone!
If you mark "Yes" in response to question 2, do you still get the "Please describe your current activities"? I marked yes and I am not seeing this prompt anywhere! Not sure if I'm just being an airhead or not...![]()
No, you don't get that option
I am in the same boat and called them a month or so ago. If it shows up as credit with an actual letter grade (ie not just a P or something) they will accept it. Otherwise it won't count. I have to admit that it's a little frustrating. I majored in chemical engineering and if I want to go here I have to take chem 1 and chem 2 despite all my upper level chemistry and chemE classes.I am planning on applying here, but I was just looking on SLU's website and saw regarding AP classes that the school "usually recognizes undergraduate credit given for courses on the basis of advanced placement when this is indicated on the college transcript. However, for the specific minimum requirements given above, advanced placement credits are not generally acceptable." I took AP chem for my gen chem classes. Does anyone know if they would accept the AP credit for the inorganic chem requirement?
.
Last edited:
is anyone using that "upload documents" feature on their secondary to upload abstracts?
did you all receive secondaries after you primary was verified or did some of you receive them even before your app was verified?Secondary received!
I received my secondary after my primary was verified.did you all receive secondaries after you primary was verified or did some of you receive them even before your app was verified?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Submitted my secondary today. I left the additional comment question blank.
Submitted my secondary today. I left the additional comment question blank.
+1
.
Last edited:
.
Last edited:
D
drnala15
I did the same, but with 3000 characters! I think it shows we're interested and it can't hurt!Anyone think it's a bad idea for me to give 4000 characters on "why SLU?" Really into their mission and values, but not sure if I'm being too long-winded about why it's a good fit.