2016-2017 Stony Brook University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone made a thread for waitlisted students? Just so we can track movement come traffic day.
In case you care, I looked at last cycle's thread and it appeared the main movement happened ~2 weeks into May. After that there was very little, just the odd drop here and there maybe.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My email didn't mention the 30% figure though (as other users have mentioned), so I'm curious if there is a HPWL vs. WL?

My email didn't mention the 30% figure though (as other users have mentioned), so I'm curious if there is a HPWL vs. WL?
Did you respond to confirm that you would like to be placed on the WL? It is in the response email to your confirmation that mentions the 30% figure. They also say the list is ranked and confidential. I don't think there are any hidden codes in the emails.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you respond to confirm that you would like to be placed on the WL? It is in the response email to your confirmation that mentions the 30% figure. They also say the list is ranked and confidential. I don't think there are any hidden codes in the emails.
Ah, alright. I responded to the email, but will probably get that confirmation after the weekend. Thanks for the reassurance!

Reactions: 1 user

The list is ranked? I didn't receive any information regarding that in the response sent to me when confirming my spot on the WL.

Here is what I got when I confirmed my WL:
Thank you for your positive response to our wait list offer.
Historically, wait list movement does not begin until late spring.
Please note that the waitlist is ranked and confidential. At this time, we cannot predict how many applicants will ultimately be accepted off of the wait list. In the past, approximately 30% of the matriculating students were accepted from the wait list.
Please feel free to send us any updates you deem appropriate for your candidacy to the following email address:
etc.

Reactions: 1 users
This was back in November if that makes a difference.

If I haven't heard back from a December interview, do you think that's a bad sign?
Just a sign that your interviewer took a while to get their info to the ADCOMs, although that is crazy long and seems unusual, I would email them to make sure there wasn't a missed email or glitch. It definitely should not take that long...

Just a sign that your interviewer took a while to get their info to the ADCOMs, although that is crazy long and seems unusual, I would email them to make sure there wasn't a missed email or glitch. It definitely should not take that long...

Yeah I emailed them back in February and it sounded like they hadn't come to a decision but that I'd hear soon, but now I'm pretty concerned...Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted peeps- did any of y'all send in an LOI? Are they even receptive to LOIs considering they use a ranked WL?
I sent a letter of interest, not intent. They just added it to my file; not too sure if it makes a huge difference

Is Stony Brook a cut throat and bad environment? I've been hearing mixed things, can a current student or somebody familiar describe the living and learning environments?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I didn't feel that at all on my interview day or on second look. I will not be attending, but for other personal reasons. I loved the school otherwise!

Just withdrew my spot here! Hope it goes to one of you on the waitlist :)

Reactions: 4 users
Have most people already heard back?

I interviewed early March and haven't heard back yet...I have read in past threads that not hearing back is generally a good thing as they try to offer straight acceptances if they can. A waitlist is really intended to be a waitlist, but not hearing back indicates they want to accept you, but they don't have the spots, or so I've heard.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but has anybody still not heard back yet?

Have most people already heard back?

I interviewed early March and haven't heard back yet...I have read in past threads that not hearing back is generally a good thing as they try to offer straight acceptances if they can. A waitlist is really intended to be a waitlist, but not hearing back indicates they want to accept you, but they don't have the spots, or so I've heard.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but has anybody still not heard back yet?

I interviewed March 3rd and have yet to hear anything back from the school, so I'm hoping for the same thing lol.

asking for a friend: is there a drug test at any point before matriculation or during the first few years?

What happens if they offer an acceptance after May 1st? Do we have to immediately decline any additional offers we have?

Just withdrew my application. Last chance of staying in NY, so it was a hard decision to make. But the best of luck to everyone on the waitlist! Hope one of you gets my spot.

Reactions: 2 users
Schools that have switched over to taking Step 1 after third-year have shown an improvement in scores. Also, some students at these schools take Step 2 only a few weeks after Step 1.
Thanks. I'm a little concerned that by the time we finish our first year of rotations, I would have forgotten a lot of the fundamental sciences.

Also i'm concerned about whether we would have time to prepare for step 1 during rotations when studying for shelf exams, etc

Last edited:
Withdrew my acceptance today. Good luck :)

Thanks. I'm a little concerned that by the time we finish our first year of rotations, I would have forgotten a lot of the fundamental sciences.

Also i'm concerned about whether we would have time to prepare for step 1 during rotations when studying for shelf exams, etc
Students at Stony get a period of dedicated study time after their rotations that they can use to study for and take Step 1 (and even Step 2). Given how schools who have adopted this new schedule have seen an increase in Step 1 scores, I don't think that there's anything you should be concerned about. I also hear that Step 1 is incorporating more clinical questions (and that Step 2 is incorporating more basic science questions), so the increase in post-MS3 Step 1 scores makes sense.

I am withdrawing. I hope that it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone who has been accepted received their financial aid packages yet? Also, has anyone started looking for housing?

Has anyone who has been accepted received their financial aid packages yet? Also, has anyone started looking for housing?
They won't release official financial aid packages until June. Email Mary J. Allen if you need to know by 4/30 to make a decision (if you're deciding between schools).

Hi ! Is anyone from Canada planing on attending Stony Brook here ?

Just dropped my acceptance from Stony -- I hope my spot goes to one of you!

Reactions: 5 users
Starting April 30th, are the acceptances coming straight off the waitlist or are there still students who never heard back post-interview?

Starting April 30th, are the acceptances coming straight off the waitlist or are there still students who never heard back post-interview?

I still haven't heard back yet. I was wondering whether we'd hear before the 30th, but there's only one weekday left, so :shrug:

I still haven't heard back yet. I was wondering whether we'd hear before the 30th, but there's only one weekday left, so :shrug:
I haven't heard back either and I interviewed in March. Hope to hear back before the 30th but it's not looking too good. I wonder what this means for us.

I haven't heard back either and I interviewed in March. Hope to hear back before the 30th but it's not looking too good. I wonder what this means for us.

Also waiting to hear from a March interview.

Does Stony send out post-interview rejections? My portal hasn't had a change, and I haven't gotten an email update yet.