2016-2017 Stony Brook University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does Stony send out post-interview rejections? My portal hasn't had a change, and I haven't gotten an email update yet.
I waited three months to hear back from them (an acceptance), so it definitely varies. No news is probably good news.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
last year there wasn't any until a couple weeks into May. Also you should join the Stony Brook WL thread if you are interested in WL movement.

I was actually accepted earlier this week, so it seems like they may still be making decisions on people who haven't heard anything yet.

I was actually accepted earlier this week, so it seems like they may still be making decisions on people who haven't heard anything yet.

Were you ever on the waitlist or were you just a direct accept? Thanks!

Did anyone else on the waitlist receive an email from FinAid about their FAFSA being processed today?

Last edited:
Did anyone else on the waitlist receive an email from FinAid about their FAFSA being processed today?
I did too... I put them down in my FAFSA (just in case) and the email said that they received it.

I did too... I put them down in my FAFSA (just in case) and the email said that they received it.
I also put them down on my FAFSA back in January and I didn't receive the email you guys are talking about. Maybe you have good news coming and I'm getting kicked to the curb? Just speculation of course.

Does anyone know what the Stony Brook pre-orientation program is? The email (from last month) says it will take place on June 2, but I will most likely be unable to attend. What happens during this program, and is it mandatory? Thanks!

I too would like answers to this question lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

I also put them down on my FAFSA back in January and I didn't receive the email you guys are talking about. Maybe you have good news coming and I'm getting kicked to the curb? Just speculation of course.

Submitted FAFSA in October, no news from FinAid. I did correct my fafsa multiple times though for different schools. :confused:

Accepted today!!!!! :nailbiting: after waiting over 2 months post interview. There's still hope!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted! Stony Brook was my top choice! Still shaking. :')

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats! Were you guys off of the waitlist? Or direct accept?

Accepted off the waitlist as well!!

I was sent an email last week asking if I was still interested in Stony Brook. I interviewed late October and was waitlisted mid-November. I did not send a LOI/update letter.

For those of you still waiting, hang in there and best of luck.

Reactions: 3 users
Did those who were accepted get an email or a phone call? Congrats all! Keeping fingers crossed :)

Thanks guys! My acceptance was off the waitlist (interviewed on 3/3) and the letter came via email. Best of luck!

uh oh bad news for the rest of us waitlisters! I can practivally feel the odds dwindling

uh oh bad news for the rest of us waitlisters! I can practivally feel the odds dwindling
We got this! It's only day 1 for Stony from what I see. Hopefully we'll hear this week!

We got this! It's only day 1 for Stony from what I see. Hopefully we'll hear this week!
I like the positivity! I sure hope so because although I'm definitely happy with my acceptances SB has always been on the top of my list. Also, IDK at what point it's too late to still say yes to an acceptance when I already have my apartment and roommate set up/ deposit in..

I like the positivity! I sure hope so because although I'm definitely happy with my acceptances SB has always been on the top of my list. Also, IDK at what point it's too late to still say yes to an acceptance when I already have my apartment and roommate set up/ deposit in..
For all my WL, I'm giving myself till June 1. If I hear nothing from them, then I'll settle on Netter (which is a fantastic school, btw). Having about 1-2 months for finding roommates and apartments is reasonable, I think.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks guys! My acceptance was off the waitlist (interviewed on 3/3) and the letter came via email. Best of luck!
hi Congratulation! did you get an email prior asking if you were still interested in stony before getting off the waitlist?

hi Congratulation! did you get an email prior asking if you were still interested in stony before getting off the waitlist?
Thanks! Yes, I got an email like that. It required a response, so I used that as an opportunity to write a "letter of intent" considering SB was my top choice.

Does anyone know what the Stony Brook pre-orientation program is? The email (from last month) says it will take place on June 2, but I will most likely be unable to attend. What happens during this program, and is it mandatory? Thanks!

Also looking to see what goes on here. Is it mostly to find potential roommates?

Thanks! Yes, I got an email like that. It required a response, so I used that as an opportunity to write a "letter of intent" considering SB was my top choice.
They likely sent that email when they already intended to accept you from the WL. They do that to lower their chances of being turned down. If you had said "no" then they would have known to move on to the next person on the list. The letter of intent at that point wasn't rly necessary.

They likely sent that email when they already intended to accept you from the WL. They do that to lower their chances of being turned down. If you had said "no" then they would have known to move on to the next person on the list. The letter of intent at that point wasn't rly necessary.
I don't know. I just figured I'd give it a shot.

Just accepted (direct)! First acceptance too!

Interviewed 3/9, OOS.

Received an email from the Dean asking to call to hear the good news over the phone.

Reactions: 11 users
Good things come to those who wait! Happy for you :)

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how to pay the housing deposit if electing to live on campus?

You can pay via SOLAR account. Login > Campus Housing > Grad/Fam Apt Deposit
Thanks! I got confused on SOLAR for a second cuz it says I did not complete my tuition deposit... Turns out there is a glitch.

Hi all!

I was accepted yesterday after interviewing late February. Straight after interviewing without waitlist. Please PM for details.

Thank you to everyone that posted to keep us informed. I will be matriculating.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi all!

I was accepted yesterday after interviewing late February. Straight after interviewing without waitlist. Please PM for details.

Thank you to everyone that posted to keep us informed. I will be matriculating.

congrats man. i knew it would be good news.

Reactions: 1 user
Just withdrew! Hopefully one of you gets the call soon :)

Reactions: 2 users
recent acceptees- have any of you received information regarding health forms?
Also for sending in transcripts- do we address it to Nancy Acevedo or any of the office staff, or is it simply:
Office of Admissions
School of Medicine
Stony Brook University
HST, Level 4, Room 174A
Stony Brook, NY 11794

I just withdrew! Stony Brook was my first acceptance so it held a dear place in my heart, but ultimately the location wasn't right for me. Good luck!!

recent acceptees- have any of you received information regarding health forms?
Also for sending in transcripts- do we address it to Nancy Acevedo or any of the office staff, or is it simply:
Office of Admissions
School of Medicine
Stony Brook University
HST, Level 4, Room 174A
Stony Brook, NY 11794
I actually called them yesterday to ask about the health form. They told me that we will be getting it in June.

Any current students able to comment on what they do outside studying and medicine? Is there much free time?

Sidney Kimmel Medical College (Jefferson University) or Stony Brook University School of Medicine? I need to make a decision fast, and I would sincerely appreciate opinions!

Sidney Kimmel Medical College (Jefferson University) or Stony Brook University School of Medicine? I need to make a decision fast, and I would sincerely appreciate opinions!

What's the price difference? If it's a 100k difference and you will be taking out loans, 100% Stony Brook. Also, how important is it to you to match in New York/NYC? Stony Brook is more likely to help you match in the area. Jeff is a lovely school in a great part of Philly, but it's not worth 100k extra.

What's the price difference? If it's a 100k difference and you will be taking out loans, 100% Stony Brook. Also, how important is it to you to match in New York/NYC? Stony Brook is more likely to help you match in the area. Jeff is a lovely school in a great part of Philly, but it's not worth 100k extra.

Thank you for the quick reply!!

Stony Brook is 14k cheaper/year. Are there any factors besides for tuition that would make one a better option over the other?

Matching in NY is a very high priority for me. You think going to a NY school provides an advantage for this?