2016-2017 Stony Brook University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yup thanks! I just couldn't find any sort of timeline of when they'd respond to you, so that's why I went digging on SB's general Financial Aid website. It's almost April anyway so I'm guessing that's when award notifications will be released.
No they will not release any award info until after April 30th , after the day you commit to one school of holding multiple acceptances (traffic day)

Only the turner fellowship(full tuition + stipend ) they give out before April30th and that was awarded already.

Last edited:
When do people usually find out about financial aid?

I think I'll email them just to make sure, but I thought it was strange how I haven't heard back even though I've submitted everything at the beginning of March. I looked on the Financial Aid website and found this graphic: Understanding the Process. It says "Medical and Dental Students" are notified of their financial aid award in mid June??? I hope that's a mistake...but I'm still betting on mid April bc it's stony

Stony will release financial information such as awards after April 30th (traffic day). So you won't have any financial aid when deciding between schools. This fact has made stony drop lower on the list of schools I will consider to attend

Members don't see this ad :)
Stony will release financial information such as awards after April 30th (traffic day). So you won't have any financial aid when deciding between schools. This fact has made stony drop lower on the list of schools I will consider to attend
Tbh I don't think their aid will be very good. When someone at my interview asked about scholarship aid and getting an offer before April 30, the finaid person instead went on a long spiel about how money shouldn't be a deciding factor in picking a school, and we will be able to pay off any debt as a doctor :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users
Tbh I don't think their aid will be very good. When someone at my interview asked about scholarship aid and getting an offer before April 30, the finaid person instead went on a long spiel about how money shouldn't be a deciding factor in picking a school, and we will be able to pay off any debt as a doctor :rolleyes:
Yes it won't be. Spoke to one of the current students who frequents this thread who said the same

Reactions: 1 user
It's a dam shame that alot of private schools will be cheaper than my state school. Because they are willing to give something

It's a dam shame that alot of private schools will be cheaper than my state school. Because they are willing to give something
Do you know where you're going yet? :)

Do you know where you're going yet? :)
Got it narrow down to 2. One of which I am waiting to hear back from and a 3rd school that can turn my head it they offer good money.
Lolz so it's complicated. But stony which was so high dropped down the list when I found out about financial stuff

How's the second look day here? Is it necessary if this is my only choice?

Thank you so much for letting us know! It doesn't make much sense to me...but since I had it narrowed down between here and a private school, this fact may have just made my choice a lot easier.
No prob it did for me as well. Still really like this school though. But it is what it is.

Can anyone elaborate on the financial stuff? I thought that in-state tuition is a positive, but from the comments, it seems that going to a private school may actually be more affordable...
Is there a way to know if a private school is offering us a scholarship (is that info in the financial packet)? And if so, is it ever enough to make it the more affordable option? Would appreciate any input!

Last edited:
Can anyone elaborate on the financial stuff? I thought that in-state tuition is a positive, but from the comments, it seems that going to a private school may actually be more affordable. Is there a way to know if the private school will offer us a scholarship? And if so, will it be enough to make it the more affordable option? Would appreciate any input!
Vast majority of the time going to stony would be better than a private school money wise. Because schools don't usually give out aid money as much as it seems on SDN. But the fact that stony doesn't seem to be very generous with aid and doesn't release any Financial information until after you commit to them. Which makes aid given to you by a private school that brings the COA close to Stony or below it a very attractive offer. So you are working with the assurance that your COA will be X at the private school while knowing nothing at Stony hence you would have to work under the assumption that you will get nothing or gamble in hopes of stony offers you aid. So if a private school comes along and gives me any aid I will be more likely to commit to that school than stony if the money is better. But since such scholarships are so rare stony is the best choice vast majority of the time

Members don't see this ad :)
Vast majority of the time going to stony would be better than a private school money wise. Because schools don't usually give out aid money as much as it seems on SDN. But the fact that stony doesn't seem to be very generous with aid and doesn't release any Financial information until after you commit to them. Which makes aid given to you by a private school that brings the COA close to Stony or below it a very attractive offer. So you are working with the assurance that your COA will be X at the private school while knowing nothing at Stony hence you would have to work under the assumption that you will get nothing or gamble in hopes of stony offers you aid. So if a private school comes along and gives me any aid I will be more likely to commit to that school than stony if the money is better. But since such scholarships are so rare stony is the best choice vast majority of the time
Ohhh... I see what you mean. Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

It also makes a HUGE difference if you're from a very low-income household, as most private schools will have larger endowments and primarily give need-based (rather than merit-based) aid. I think for the majority of matriculants (who are probably middle-class or above), an in-state school is definitely going to be cheaper in the long run, but it's a different field for low-income folks.

For example, looking at my undergraduate experiences, I chose a private school (~60k tuition) over Stony Brook (~20k tuition) because they essentially gave me a full-ride with all their grant money, while at Stony Brook I would've had to take out ~2k in loans every semester.
I follow and appreciate the clarification! I understand that Stony Brook won't send out any financial information and so it may be "safer" to assume that we won't get anything, but do most private schools send out the financial packages before April 30th? And does that package include the need/merit-based aid (if any)? I was a late applicant and I'm finally(!) getting some acceptances, but there isn't really anything about the finances. Thanks again!

It depends on the school. Some schools will explicitly tell you that you should expect an award letter X business days after you've submitted all your documentation, while others will just tell you a month, like "mid-April". Check out each school's financial aid websites if you haven't already! I think most schools should notify you before the April 30th deadline -- Stony Brook is just strange I guess, and I totally got the same spiel on my interview day that @Pusheen mentioned: "med school is expensive everywhere so money shouldn't be a factor" or something along those lines. It's not private vs public school either, I got my award letter from SUNY Downstate back in February I believe!

edit: and yes, an award letter should have a cost of attendance (COA) breakdown and then specific scholarships (merit or some sort of criteria like "first generation" or w/e), institutional grants (usually just need-based), federal work-study, and loans (federal or institutional) that the school is offering. then you can accept or reject certain parts of your award package (like if you don't want to take out the loans that they're offering, you can reject that part).
Yeah, I'll definitely contact the schools to verify. Thank you and good luck with your decision!

That's a bummer. I applied for one of their scholarships and would have weighed heavily in my decision. I concur with others that I was under the impression that Stony Brook doesn't really give much financial aid based on the financial aid session.

That's a bummer. I applied for one of their scholarships and would have weighed heavily in my decision. I concur with others that I was under the impression that Stony Brook doesn't really give much financial aid based on the financial aid session.
Honestly has a hard time keeping a straight face during that financial aid session.

Really loved everything else about the school though :/

No they will not release any award info until after April 30th , after the day you commit to one school of holding multiple acceptances (traffic day)

Only the turner fellowship(full tuition + stipend ) they give out before April30th and that was awarded already.
Where did you hear that the turner fellowship was given out already?

Where did you hear that the turner fellowship was given out already?
I know someone personally who was offered it and a SDN member was also offered it already.

Also you should change your pic for anonymity especially when it includes someone else(she is very beautiful though)

Last edited:
What is the Turner fellowship? I graduated from Stonybrook in the past decade and never heard of it

What is the Turner fellowship? I graduated from Stonybrook in the past decade and never heard of it
Lolz its one of those things that if you haven't heard about it then you probably shouldn't in the first place. It's a huge merit scholarship that stony gives to selected applicants.

Lolz its one of those things that if you haven't heard about it then you probably shouldn't in the first place. It's a huge merit scholarship that stony gives to selected applicants.

I'm intrigued now, what's the merit? 4.0 GPA from an Ivory league school and >95th% on the mcats?

googled it, "huge merit" really sucked me in!...think these types of things are well intentioned but are not necessarily executed properly...one of my classmates/study buddies received a scholarship which included a full ride plus stipend (possibly the one you guys are talking about)...we shared a common background, both 1st generation, both single mother household, both allied health-professionals prior to med school with similar gpa's/mcats, main difference being he had a grandparent that was from DR while my heritage was European...I was also aware of another classmate that received this particular type of scholarship, his father was a surgeon...I don't know the specific criteria of the scholarship but there were plenty of URMs in my class that came from much more disadvantaged socioeconomic backgrounds than these guys but I guess it is what it is...

googled it, "huge merit" really sucked me in!...think these types of things are well intentioned but are not necessarily executed properly...one of my classmates/study buddies received a scholarship which included a full ride plus stipend (possibly the one you guys are talking about)...we shared a common background, both 1st generation, both single mother household, both allied health-professionals prior to med school with similar gpa's/mcats, main difference being he had a grandparent that was from DR while my heritage was European...I was also aware of another classmate that received this particular type of scholarship, his father was a surgeon...I don't know the specific criteria of the scholarship but there were plenty of URMs in my class that came from much more disadvantaged socioeconomic backgrounds than these guys but I guess it is what it is...
They can and should spend the money however they want, if you look online you will find scholarships for ever color/background under the sun, alot of times the people who start these scholarships that they have given their namesake to wanted the money to be spent a certain way but I do agree it's like a secret club how they choose the people who get it most people don't even know it existed . However, you have amazing stats and should of gotten something sTony just seem tight with the purse strings.

I got wait-listed recently... Is it a good sign that I heard back like two weeks after my interview though?

I got wait-listed recently... Is it a good sign that I heard back like two weeks after my interview though?
Not really your interviewer might just been quick with putting in your evaluation. A waitlist is a waitlist not good news or bad jjust so so. And stony brook doesn't have the best waitlist movement in the first place .

Anyone know the attire for second look? And are y'all going alone or bringing Simone along?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My waitlist email said in the past 30% off the class comes off the waitlist. I'd say that's a fair amount of movement
That doesn't tell how much people who were on it who got off. I think MSAR the number was 25% (don't quote me on that number) which isn't that high.

Last edited:
Can someone provide some advice?

emailed the admissions committee and they haven't reached a decision on my candidacy after 2 months 3 weeks. Am i probably waitlisted at this point?

please advise.

For someone who has absolutely no ties to NY, am I guaranteed to have in state tuition after the first year? Or is it some kind of gamble or trap they are trying to put me in? 66k a year x 4 sure ain't pretty

For someone who has absolutely no ties to NY, am I guaranteed to have in state tuition after the first year? Or is it some kind of gamble or trap they are trying to put me in? 66k a year x 4 sure ain't pretty

Wondering the same thing if somebody could answer!

Wondering the same thing if somebody could answer!

Its not a guarantee but its pretty easy to obtain if you try.Things like signing a lease, gettign a NYC drivers licence/Learners permit are some of the things you do to get residency after a year.I view it alot like federal loans, is it guaranteed to you ? No, but its pretty easy to get if you do what you need to do

Withdrew. Good luck to all you fantastic people!

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone in the past receive an email from admissions gauging interest in SBU?

The second look email that Stony Brook sent out a while back says that there's a "pre-orientation" on June 2nd... But does anyone know when classes actually start?

Interviewed in early March but still no word... Anyone else?

I'd appreciate if anyone could answer a few questions about stony brook:

are classes mandatory at stony brook?
can I just sleep in and listen to podcasts?

and would you guys say its a cutthroat/really competitive environment, or is it more supportive?

Thanks!

I also have a few questions, is the curriculum more lecture based or is it more independent learning? Is collaborative learning a big component?

Thank you!!

I'd appreciate if anyone could answer a few questions about stony brook:

are classes mandatory at stony brook?
can I just sleep in and listen to podcasts?

and would you guys say its a cutthroat/really competitive environment, or is it more supportive?

Thanks!
Lectures are not mandatory. Based on my interactions with my host, I'd say the environment is more supportive than cutthroat, despite the H/P/F system.

Has anyone made a thread for waitlisted students? Just so we can track movement come traffic day.

I also have a few questions, is the curriculum more lecture based or is it more independent learning? Is collaborative learning a big component?

Thank you!!
Hi! From the info sessions at second look they said the new curriculum is focused more on active learning. More collaboration, small groups etc