2016-2017 SUNY - Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When they make decisions on who they're accepting, do they make a re-review of the apps holistically and focus on stats/EC's and all that? Or is it that once someone is interviewed the stats/Ec's/PS/Recs are good enough so they mainly factor in MMI performance. If someone has low stats but did very well on the MMI, might they not accept him because his stats are low? (But if that's the case why would they have even bothered sending him/her an II and wasting the time and money when they deny many "more qualified" applicants?)
MDPedigree, I have the same concern. My feeling is that an II from Upstate indicates very serious consideration of an applicant which can be bolstered or hampered by performance on the MMI and other factors. I do believe they take a holistic evaluation, with an eye towards trends and counterbalancing (great MCAT helping a poor GPA, for example.) When did you interview?

Members don't see this ad.

When they make decisions on who they're accepting, do they make a re-review of the apps holistically and focus on stats/EC's and all that? Or is it that once someone is interviewed the stats/Ec's/PS/Recs are good enough so they mainly factor in MMI performance. If someone has low stats but did very well on the MMI, might they not accept him because his stats are low? (But if that's the case why would they have even bothered sending him/her an II and wasting the time and money when they deny many "more qualified" applicants?)
@YayPudding

I'm fairly certain that everything is evaluated. A lot of schools holistically evaluate acceptances (post-interview) and I have some speculation and information that Upstate does the same:

-your "numbers" (MCAT and GPA)
-LoRs
-your post-interview update
-Extracurricular activities
-the most recent addition to your file, your MMI performance.

Whether a school uses a point system (as in, acceptance if [academic performance] + [EC evaluation]+ [MMI performance] >= [x]) or not, everything is taken into account. For Upstate specifically, the only thing I'm aware of that no longer affects your file (post-interview invite) is your state residence.

This, of course, is not to say that you need superb stats and resuscitation of babies for a living. There are plenty of individuals I've met who do not have "high" MCAT scores/GPA, but I felt they would make great physicians. I believe that Upstate (through their interview screening processes and structure of their MMI) looks for this too.

*Disclaimer: I'm an applicant as well. This information is from various meetings with faculty and may actually differ in practice.*

@Monophasic probably knows more.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck to those who will hear back today/tomorrow!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED! Interviewed 12/7. Portal just updated! So excited!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone from 12/5 interview hear anything? Should I be concerned that my portal hasn't cleared? I know I posted about this before, just looking for an update from people

Anyone from 12/5 interview hear anything? Should I be concerned that my portal hasn't cleared? I know I posted about this before, just looking for an update from people
Do you still have the interview invitation?

I'd say that your application may not have been reached yet, but will shortly. Hang tight.

I'm freaking out a little because my portal is cleared but I haven't received any notification...

I'd say that your application may not have been reached yet, but will shortly. Hang tight.

I'm freaking out a little because my portal is cleared but I haven't received any notification...

Praying you will hear good news soon, YayPudding!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Any more news? I thought the updates to portals would simultaneous.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have people gotten emails/portal updates after business hours? Or will some of us have another day of waiting?

I remember in late October there were a few people who received emails around 9pm EST. So it's definitely a possibility. Good luck!

Can Someone please explain to me what "Portal Cleared" Means. I just had an interview and other than putting my campus preferences my status page is exactly the same.

Can Someone please explain to me what "Portal Cleared" Means. I just had an interview and other than putting my campus preferences my status page is exactly the same.
Portal clearing is when the text "congratulations on your interview invitation!" disappears and leaves a clear portal save for a few lines of text. Generally some decision arrives a few days after.

Now you get to update your sig ;)

Congrats on getting into medical school!

Thank you! What I can honestly say is to not give up hope in this process. I felt like my upstate interview didn't go that well, but apparently it did. The other schools I interviewed at I thought I did so well at the interviews but I got waitlisted. You never know what they look for in a candidate, but I've come to realize that "fit" is the most important factor. I can say that grades aren't. I have a LizzyM of 74. Your grades and MCAT get you the interview, but an acceptance is never guaranteed. Any school can be the one to take you, so don't give up hope!

Accepted via email!!!! No portal update. Very excited!

Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations!!!

No portal update. That is so confusing but it gives me hope.

Thank you! I'm also a little confused... Fingers crossed it's not an error. Good luck!!!

Just received an email stating I was placed on the HPA. Certainly not what I had been hoping for, but we'll see how I do in May. My life is somewhat complicated at this stage because my other school choice begins in June and I would like to be able to seriously commit to an institution.

Got rejected earlier today! :( Previously on hold and complete back in July/August! Best of luck to the rest of y'all! :xf:

Got rejected earlier today! :( Previously on hold and complete back in July/August! Best of luck to the rest of y'all! :xf:

Aw sorry to hear AAAmeds!

Question! What is the best way to get to Upstate from NYC?

I know this gets talked about every year, but does anyone have concrete stats or info regarding relative chance for acceptance out of HPA or is it all based on ranking? When is ranked determined - after all interviews are over?

Hey folks congrats to all who've been accepted and best wishes to those who are waiting to hear back. I'm a current MS1 at Upstate. Let me know if any of you have questions and I will do my best to respond.

I know this is a stressful time for you all. Hang in there; something good will happen to everyone.

Hi, I was wondering if you could tell us some personal opinions on why you feel SUNY Upstate is a great medical school. What are some special qualities that you think make it different from other schools?

Hi, I was wondering if you could tell us some personal opinions on why you feel SUNY Upstate is a great medical school. What are some special qualities that you think make it different from other schools?
I would like to know this too have a interview this week and I'm contemplating if I should go or not. Money is a big party factor with me and I know they are cheaper then most. Anyone know how generous they are with scholarships? Also being a city guy I'm a little worried about living in Syracuse.

Just received an email stating I was placed on the HPA. Certainly not what I had been hoping for, but we'll see how I do in May. My life is somewhat complicated at this stage because my other school choice begins in June and I would like to be able to seriously commit to an institution.
I don't want to jinx it but I may be in your exact same situation in one month. I think we are considering the same school that starts in June :(

Interview received last week, scheduled for next month! Complete in July

withdrew my interview for this week. Cant see myself living in Syracuse. Hope one of u guys get it.

accepted. interviewed on 11/30

Is anyone unable to reschedule their interview? I can't cancel mine for some reason...

Noticed something odd on my portal. I'm on HPA as of last week, but campus has changed (to Binghamton, my preferred) and there are now spaces for my transcripts. What gives?

Noticed something odd on my portal. I'm on HPA as of last week, but campus has changed (to Binghamton, my preferred) and there are now spaces for my transcripts. What gives?
Maybe you have been accepted? Because they only request transcript for accepted students

just rejected pre-II, complete Aug, on hold in Nov.