2016-2017 SUNY - Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PM'd you, but I'll post here for others

Post-interview statuses at Upstate:

1. Outright acceptance
2. High priority alternate (HPA) = a ranked list where people can be accepted later in the cycle after others have decided to go elsewhere. Lots of movement, so a good shot of acceptance.
3. Alternate hold = basically a rejection
4. Outright rejection

Someone please correct me if I'm wron

That's what I think too.

To add to this, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, HPA receives a lot of movement (perhaps exclusively) after traffic day (~mid April).

Just waiting quietly on the HPA list. Please, Upstate. Please.

Relax! They haven't even looked at that list. Upstate still interviews candidates into March. If you're on the HPA just sit tight. It does move, so there is a chance, but it won't be until April and beyond.

PM'd you, but I'll post here for others

Post-interview statuses at Upstate:

1. Outright acceptance
2. High priority alternate (HPA) = a ranked list where people can be accepted later in the cycle after others have decided to go elsewhere. Lots of movement, so a good shot of acceptance.
3. Alternate hold = basically a rejection
4. Outright rejection

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

This is correct. The alternate hold list has not moved in I think 8 years, so essentially it's a rejection.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I think too.

To add to this, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, HPA receives a lot of movement (perhaps exclusively) after traffic day (~mid April).
Yes, to my understanding the list starts to move a lot after April 30th

Reactions: 1 user
Happy new year! May the new year bring you interview invitations and acceptances!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Happy New Year folks! Hoping we early December interviewees get the good news this week!

Happy New Year and good vibes for everyone during the rest of the cycle. Hoping I can join many of you at Upstate as an MS1.

I interviewed late November and was also told this. I so want to believe them but I'm not holding my breath. I have a feeling they fell behind
Based on this SDN feed, seems they stopped at Nov. 16th, so not too far behind. what date did you interview?

I think tomorrow is the first committee meeting for this year?

I think tomorrow is the first committee meeting for this year?
Looks like it based on previous years. I think (hope) they finish November, possibly start December.

Anyone interview after in November after 11/16? I think in December there were two days - the 5th and 7th.

I have an interview on 11/30. I was thinking I should apply to the RMSP because I do have a lot of experience and am interested in rural medicine. Is it too late for me to fill out this application?
Has your portal cleared?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, all just wanted to say congrats to all those who got accepted. I am the healthcare recruiter for the Army in Syracuse...I am at Upstate all the time. Great school, great staff! A couple of the resident program directors are prior Army so a very military friendly school also!

II this morning! complete 10/4

So no one will likely hear back this week?
11/16 here. Nothing on portal for me. I think I've been checking every 5 minutes since other people from my date started receiving decisions. Does portal clear indicate a decision has been made or that you have been reviewed?
Has your portal cleared?

Does anyone know for sure/the stated policy for when Upstate begins sending acceptances to students on the HPA? Say for example I am placed on the HPA but will have to matriculate at a program that begins with a summer term in June. Is it unheard of to pull out of school to matriculate at another? Surely this must happen every summer?

Does anyone know when early December interview results are supposed to go out?

Does anyone know for sure/the stated policy for when Upstate begins sending acceptances to students on the HPA? Say for example I am placed on the HPA but will have to matriculate at a program that begins with a summer term in June. Is it unheard of to pull out of school to matriculate at another? Surely this must happen every summer?

I am not 100% on this, but I would assume there is a lot of movement on traffic day (or shortly thereafter). Upstate would then turn to the HPA.

I assume/hope that you'd hear back prior to the matriculation of said medical school. If you do get accepted and would rather attend Upstate, you'd lose your deposit ($100 for MD or $X [where X = an arm and leg] for DO) since it is after traffic day and well beyond when DO schools will typically refund.

I haven't really looked into this, but I'd imagine you have to pay for the first semester/year by a certain date. If your current school starts early, I'd assume you have to pay earlier. I would look at the school's policy to refunding these costs. I hope they would be understanding since it's atypical to begin in June.

I would definitely contact the school/Upstate for information. If not now, then perhaps later after "more cards are flipped", so to speak. Hopefully you get an acceptance email rather than HPA. Best of luck!

*Disclaimer: Above has a lot of assumptions and you know what they say when a person assumes.... Haha. Hope it provides at least a fraction of validity.*

I received the complete e-mail in September and haven't heard anything since. Should I ask about the status of my app?

I received the complete e-mail in September and haven't heard anything since. Should I ask about the status of my app?
If it's complete and you haven't heard anything (hold, rejection, interview), then there's not much you can do. Your application is still being "looked" at. I say it in quotes because it may have been put aside for later review.

I know it doesn't seem great, but think of it this way: there's something in your application that they must have liked since they didn't reject/hold you right away.

Best of luck!

They won't look at the HPA list until April. They go through the list and every year there is certainly movement from the list. Several people in my cohort were accepted two weeks before classes started.

As for what to do if you have an acceptance to a different school that starts in June -- that's totally up to you. If it's your only option then certainly you'll matriculate, but if you are later accepted to Upstate you'll have the weigh the decision to matriculate at Upstate and lose the first semester's tuition at the other school, or to stick with the other school. One of the first things you do before classes start is sign a "financial responsibility" form that basically says you understand you're taking a seat in the class and therefore responsible for tuition. Make sure you read this form carefully and see if you're being held responsible for the semester, the year, or in fact the entire four years.

If the other school is not a state school I would suggest you weigh the financial costs of eating a semester's payment (read: loans) at the first school to instead pay 4 years of in-state tuition at Upstate.

Of course since you're not in this position currently it's just conjecture, but should you find yourself in this situation these are my thoughts.

Rejected pre II this morning good luck everyone!

Portal cleared! Just saw today

Good luck everybody!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Received interview invite. It was strange but I received an interview reminder three days before I received the interview invite email. I have not been checking the portal at all since I was placed on "hold". As others have said, check your portals!

Also, interview dates are in Jan, Feb, and early March

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Anyone who interviewed 12/5 or 12/7 hear anything yet?

interviewed 12/7 and portal cleared a couple hours ago. apparently it could be a few more days until we hear a decision based on how long it took other people to receive a decision after their portal cleared...

Reactions: 2 users
Received interview invite. It was strange but I received an interview reminder three days before I received the interview invite email. I have not been checking the portal at all since I was placed on "hold". As others have said, check your portals!

Also, interview dates are in Jan, Feb, and early March

Guys pay attention! @carrots28 says he got an II after being on pre-II hold! See, it does happen!

Reactions: 2 users
My portal cleared too.. hoping for some good news soon:barf:

My portal also cleared this morning. Interviewed 12/12.

I would wager we'll hear on Thursday or Friday

Anyone get emails or see decisions on their portals?

When they make decisions on who they're accepting, do they make a re-review of the apps holistically and focus on stats/EC's and all that? Or is it that once someone is interviewed the stats/Ec's/PS/Recs are good enough so they mainly factor in MMI performance. If someone has low stats but did very well on the MMI, might they not accept him because his stats are low? (But if that's the case why would they have even bothered sending him/her an II and wasting the time and money when they deny many "more qualified" applicants?)