2016-2017 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewing next Friday, the 13th -- any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, so am I! I wonder how large the interview groups are
I interviewed on a Saturday, so the group was quite large. There were at least 20 people there, but I think the admissions counselor mentioned that weekend interviews have a lot more people than weekday interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing next Friday, the 13th -- any advice?
Hi! Honestly, it was such a pleasant interview day. All interviews are in the morning, and they make it easy to switch between interviews. Student interview was super conversational, faculty interviewer was incredibly sweet and kind. Know your app would be my advice, and relax! The lady in charge of the campus tour was very nice, food was okay, man who gave presentation on curriculum was very humorous, and lastly free t shirt at the end! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Honestly, it was such a pleasant interview day. All interviews are in the morning, and they make it easy to switch between interviews. Student interview was super conversational, faculty interviewer was incredibly sweet and kind. Know your app would be my advice, and relax! The lady in charge of the campus tour was very nice, food was okay, man who gave presentation on curriculum was very humorous, and lastly free t shirt at the end! :)

LOL just came back from my II but they didn't give us a free t-shirt :(

Anyhow just wanted to post this info straight from their website: https://tcmc.edu/students/student-bulletin/ hope this helps some of those stressed out about the process.

"MD Selection Process
Upon completion of the interview, both the faculty and student interviewer complete and electronically submit an interview evaluation form. Upon receipt of the evaluations, the candidate’s file becomes complete and is sent to the Admissions Committee for review.

Each member of the Admissions Committee independently reviews each candidate’s file and submits a score. (I heard the score is like between 1-7, so 6&7 get accepted, 5 deferred, and 4/5 waitlisted and under that rejected). When all members of the committee have scored the file, it is ready to be discussed by committee members. The Admissions Committee meets regularly each month to discuss application files and to render admissions decisions.

When a student is offered a place in Geisinger Commonwealth’s MD class, they are notified via email and paper mail. Students can expect to receive an admissions decision six to eight weeks after their interview date.

Students placed on the waitlist can be offered admission until the first day of orientation."

Reactions: 2 users

Anyhow just wanted to post this info straight from their website: https://tcmc.edu/students/student-bulletin/ hope this helps some of those stressed out about the process.

"MD Selection Process
Upon completion of the interview, both the faculty and student interviewer complete and electronically submit an interview evaluation form. Upon receipt of the evaluations, the candidate’s file becomes complete and is sent to the Admissions Committee for review.

Each member of the Admissions Committee independently reviews each candidate’s file and submits a score. (I heard the score is like between 1-7, so 6&7 get accepted, 5 deferred, and 4/5 waitlisted and under that rejected). When all members of the committee have scored the file, it is ready to be discussed by committee members. The Admissions Committee meets regularly each month to discuss application files and to render admissions decisions.

When a student is offered a place in Geisinger Commonwealth’s MD class, they are notified via email and paper mail. Students can expect to receive an admissions decision six to eight weeks after their interview date.

Students placed on the waitlist can be offered admission until the first day of orientation."
What did you think of the interview

Rejected pre ii. OOS LM65 submitted Aug

Does anyone know when the admissions committee meets? Just trying to gauge when I might hear back... (i.e. weekly, monthly, etc.)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

"MD Selection Process

Does anyone know when the admissions committee meets? Just trying to gauge when I might hear back... (i.e. weekly, monthly, etc.)

From the link by sofpink, I would say weekly or bi-weekly because the "Committee meets regularly each month".

*cough* Same question to you four: were you invited to apply for the MBS program in your rejection email?
Yes I was invited. I suspect most if not all rejected applicants are offered the program.

Yes I was invited. I suspect most if not all rejected applicants are offered the program.
I suspect the same. And their MBS program is not all that appealing, considering the expected outcomes (have to place in the top 1/5th along with a certain undergrad GPA to get even just an interview).

*cough* Same question to you four: were you invited to apply for the MBS program in your rejection email?

Yes I was invited to apply, although I will not be accepting the offer

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I suspect the same. And their MBS program is not all that appealing, considering the expected outcomes (have to place in the top 1/5th along with a certain undergrad GPA to get even just an interview).

I almost replied that no, they didn't invite me to apply to the MBS because I didn't remember it. But before I did I went back and read it. Turns out it was in the e-mail.

What did you think of the interview
Apart from the fact that it was the coldest day of my life (around -12 degrees), overall, the interview day was very chill. They did the two interviews right after the meet & greet (and of course the famous scones) so that releases a lot of stress. The rest of the day was just the tour, lunch, and presentations. We finished around 2ish.

Last edited:
Question on scholarships and finaid here. Does when you submit your FAFSA affect the above? Or is everyone given equal consideration if they've met the deadline?

Question on scholarships and finaid here. Does when you submit your FAFSA affect the above? Or is everyone given equal consideration if they've met the deadline?

From personal experience, as long as you submit everything by the deadline you are given the same consideration as everyone else. Date you were actually accepted does not matter.

do you mind messaging me your stats? im curious if they have tougher requirements for OOS applicants

I'm OOS and My MCAT score wasn't that fantastic so I was a bit surprised that I got an interview. You can PM me if your interested in stats.

You'll be fine. Just breath, smile and know your application. Remember they are interviewing you just as much as you are interviewing the school. Good luck!

What do you mean by know your application ? Can you please elaborate.

What do you mean by know your application ? Can you please elaborate.
Sorry if this might be too late, but they know your application well. They just ask you to elaborate on your experiences that you discussed in your application. As long as you can talk about any cool experiences you've had or have going on now, you'll be fine. Don't stress and enjoy the day.

Interviewed on 12/5/16. Still no news. Anyone heard anything?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

complete late august and havent heard anything yet! hoping for some late OOS love!

the rejections be comin

cut, complete early aug, no ii

Just got an II, OOS, complete late June. Will be withdrawing!

Interviewed here 12/5 and I'm also waiting to hear back

II OOS just now, anyone have any advice for interview day? I'm very grateful but nervous because of the low OOS acceptance rate, feeling like I can't really stand a chance!

II this morning OOS, will be withdrawing so hopefully it goes to someone else!

II OOS just now, anyone have any advice for interview day? I'm very grateful but nervous because of the low OOS acceptance rate, feeling like I can't really stand a chance!
I know its cliche, but just be yourself. I just interviewed there on Friday, was also OOS. Just read up on the school, and relax. they want to find out who you are

II not long ago. Unsure whether will schedule one though. Heard mixed opinions about future financial prospects at TCMC/changes with the new Geisinger acquisition. Any thoughts on recent changes?

I don't know where you got your info but from what I have heard the Geisinger buy out has secured TCMC financially. This change only makes TCMC a better school with more financial resources.

II not long ago. Unsure whether will schedule one though. Heard mixed opinions about future financial prospects at TCMC/changes with the new Geisinger acquisition. Any thoughts on recent changes?
I've heard only good things
I can't think of any negatives honestly

I don't know where you got your info but from what I have heard the Geisinger buy out has secured TCMC financially. This change only makes TCMC a better school with more financial resources.

Sorry what I meant was that I knew before this acquisition they weren't necessarily secure financially. I understand that now they're better off. I was just curious about any other implications of this buy out.

Current second year here. I literally can't tell you any negatives of us becoming Geisinger's med school. I feel like the only thing that could negatively affect current/future students is potentially the reorganizing of clinical sites but even now little changes are being made in this regard.

Reactions: 1 users