2016-2017 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my interview from here as I got a great scholarship at another university, hoping it goes to one of y'all!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, just got an II here. Does anyone have advice for the interview? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Eat the lucky scones!!

haha in all seriousness, congrats, and don't stress. Read the interview feedback section, read up on the school, and don't worry.

Reactions: 3 users
Rejected today pre-II, LM ~65 & OOS. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!!

For those who have been recently accepted, do you reserve a seat by paying the 100 dollars and accepting the offer on the portal or just by paying the 100 dollars?

I'm pretty sure you have to do both. The 100 bucks is refundable until May 1st I'm pretty sure.

When will we get a financial aid package from GCMC?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 1/13, Accepted 2/2! LizzyM=70. I really loved this school when I came for the interview.

Reactions: 4 users
Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected today pre-II, LM ~65 & OOS. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!!
To you and everyone that has been rejected, did you guys get an unprofessional letter about their MBS program after they told you that you were rejected?

Withdrew acceptance! Good luck to those waiting!

Reactions: 4 users
So how do you guys think the matches will change after Geisinger takes over? You think we'll have better shots at some of the competitive specialties due to preference in Geisinger residencies?

The president of Geisinger literally told us he'd like to guarantee us Geisinger residency. Not saying that we're guaranteed but definitely will be at an advantage.

Whoah, that's insane lol. When did you hear this? We didn't get to meet anyone from Geisinger at my interview day :(

I'm a second year so it was just at a community meeting. 'Like' is definitely the operational word there, though. There's no policy that we will have any advantage he just was saying that he'd like it to be that way. At the very least I feel that we will have an advantage when applying to Geisinger residencies

Sounds awesome though lol. Is Geisinger technically Commonwealth's teaching hospital now?

Not exactly, all of the other campuses still exist with the exception of Poconos. Geisinger Danville (the main Geisinger hospital) is now available as a campus, though. I'm sure things will develop but it's still all very new. I think there will be lots of positive changes though.

Can anybody comment on how generous this school is with its financial aid packages?

I have not heard anything since I was deferred in October. Should I send them a letter of intent since this is my #1 school?

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone call nearby hotels and get a discounted rate? Or did they charge full price?

Their website indicates that students can get a discount but I'm not sure if we qualify.

Did anyone call nearby hotels and get a discounted rate? Or did they charge full price?

Their website indicates that students can get a discount, but I'm not sure if we qualify.
I stayed at the Radisson Lackawanna; they didn't mention a discount. But they provide a free airport shuttle if you call the hotel when you get in. The guy who drove me to the hotel (Mike) was real nice, actually drove me in the morning to the interview, then came to pick me up from it and drove me back to the airport. Saved me a ton of money. I just tipped him.

Reactions: 1 users
Any news concerning scholarships? Would we get them with financial aid packages?

anyone else get an email about a pre-interview waitlist? any thoughts on what that means?

By acceptance packet you mean one letter from Dean Scheinman and another from the financial aid office, right? Just worried something was lost in the mail...

Yup, just those two things

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Can anyone send me the link to the Accepted Facebook page? I cant find it :/

When do financial aid packages come out in terms of grants and scholarship for accepted students ?