2016-2017 University of Maryland Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That UMID email got me all excited this morning for nothing

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted yesterday! Interviewed mid Jan.

Haven't received an email regarding UMID though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get accepted via phone call, email, or snail mail?

Got an email telling me to log into the portal because a decision had been made. My heart almost exploded from the time I read the email until I was able to log in haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else getting SO HYPE for second look? Cannot wait to make so many new friendos

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Today is supposed to be another decision day, but now the school is closed due to the storm. THANKS STELLA:arghh:

I'm assuming no shot at any more II's anymore? :(

WL this morning. Interviewed on Feb 1.
Does this school even have waitlist movement?

WL this morning. Interviewed on Feb 1.
Does this school even have waitlist movement?

From my understanding there is some movement but pretty minimal. Much less than other schools. But I don't remember exact numbers (past SDN threads have them I think).

Edit: good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
From my understanding there is some movement but pretty minimal. Much less than other schools. But I don't remember exact numbers (past SDN threads have them I think).

Edit: good luck! :)
Thanks!

WL this morning, interviewed first week of february. Extremely bummed out, as besides this school I'm waiting on one other, no acceptances yet

Received email to check portal today, 3/15/17-- Waitlisted
Interview 2/8
OOS (from VA)

Last edited:
For current students (or anyone else who wants to answer)- how do you all feel about the non systems based curriculum at UMD? Is it boring having to go through bio 101 type blocks like cell structure, biochem, genetics etc without clinical emphasis?

Overall, do you like the curriculum? Any info is appreciated.

How competitive is UMD Medicine in the eyes of competitive residency programs?

Maryland is ranked at 40 on U.S. News research rankings. Therefore, I'd assume that Maryland is probably considered a mid/upper-mid tier school. But realistically, how likely is it to be able to get into a top residency (at an Ivy or other top ranking institution and/or in a highly competitive specialty)? While Maryland seems like a great school, it isn't a top 20 or an Ivy, which makes me wonder how it is viewed in the academic world...

Reactions: 1 users
So I know this is weird but what are people wearing for second look day?

Does anyone know how responsive this school is to Letters of Intent? Do they care? Do they not care? Do they kinda care? Do they even accept them?

When are we supposed to get financial aid info? I haven't received anything yet. Also if you have received it, does it come as an email or post mail?

Anyone been rejected pre-II yet? I am still waiting for the formal rejection

Does financial aid info go to our permanent addresses or current?

Withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 2 users
So I am confused. I received a waitlist notification today for the combined degree program, but it seems like it is for the combined degree program (signed by the director of admissions for combined degree programs, not MD Dean). Could someone who applied combined degree (preferably one who has been waitlisted for dual degree and accepted MD) comment on whether there are in fact two decisions released?

So I am confused. I received a waitlist notification today for the combined degree program, but it seems like it is for the combined degree program (signed by the director of admissions for combined degree programs, not MD Dean). Could someone who applied combined degree (preferably one who has been waitlisted for dual degree and accepted MD) comment on whether there are in fact two decisions released?

They release MD and MD/MPH decisions separately. I was just waitlisted for MD/MPH as well.

They release MD and MD/MPH decisions separately. I was just waitlisted for MD/MPH as well.
You'd think we'd hear MD before MD/MPH :eyebrow:

EDIT: Have you heard back about MD already?

Just to add here. I applied dual and received an acceptance that was from the director of combined. There was no decision after that for MD only and my letter said it served for both.

Not sure how the waitlist from one, accept from another works.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any OOS Accepted Students receive a financial aid package yet?

Waitlisted on Friday. LizzyM close to 75. In-state.

I felt like they were playing games with my application all cycle, and this turned me off of them very quickly. I will likely withdraw.

Waitlisted on Friday. LizzyM close to 75. In-state.

I felt like they were playing games with my application all cycle, and this turned me off of them very quickly. I will likely withdraw.

upload_2017-4-9_18-54-32.png