2016-2017 University of Maryland Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how waitlist movement at this school is?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how waitlist movement at this school is?
I believe last year it was negligible since they over-enrolled? MSAR says about 5-10 people get off the waitlist on average... I'm not expecting much.

Members don't see this ad :)
accepted just now

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, just got put on the waitlist this morning. I was just wondering if someone on here knew of anyone last year or previous years that was taken off the waitlist and accepted? Does updating your application by sending in supplemental information actually help your chances? Any info helps. Also, congrats to anyone who was accepted either today or previously!

I was waitlisted today. 8 weeks after interview seems to be the normal response time after interview.

Hey guys, just got put on the waitlist this morning. I was just wondering if someone on here knew of anyone last year or previous years that was taken off the waitlist and accepted? Does updating your application by sending in supplemental information actually help your chances? Any info helps. Also, congrats to anyone who was accepted either today or previously!
MSAR says 10 people accepted off waitlist last year.

Reactions: 1 user
Fingers crossed that some more interviews go out tomorrow :)

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know why they didnt let us know which half of the waitlist we are on like they say they do on their website? Is that something that doesnt happen till all waitlists are given out or..?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a letter in the mail with a generous scholarship offer! Seems like this is definitely the school I'll be attending this fall. Just an FYI, I was accepted in late October I believe. Look forward to meeting some of you guys at Second Look Day and eventually this fall

Just got a letter in the mail with a generous scholarship offer! Seems like this is definitely the school I'll be attending this fall. Just an FYI, I was accepted in late October I believe. Look forward to meeting some of you guys at Second Look Day and eventually this fall

I was accepted in October as well. Did you get any physical letters of acceptance other than that scholarship info after getting accepted?

II, was on hold prior to this!

ACCCCCCCCEPPPPTED !!!! Interviewed late November. Keep up HOPE !

I was accepted in October as well. Did you get any physical letters of acceptance other than that scholarship info after getting accepted?

Nope. Never got any physical letter of acceptance. I never even got a call from the dean, which I heard other accepted students received. I only saw the decision via the online portal and several emails after accepting the offer

Nope. Never got any physical letter of acceptance. I never even got a call from the dean, which I heard other accepted students received. I only saw the decision via the online portal and several emails after accepting the offer
Congrats- that's awesome! Was it a merit scholarship? If so, what are your stats? Haven't heard from the financial people yet. Oh, and I also didn't get an acceptance via mail either.

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding financial aid stuff.

The website says awarding begins April 1st and no paper notifications will be sent out (only an email directing students to log onto SURFS to view and accept/decline). I assumed loans, school scholarships, grants, and work studies all fall under that award category.

So what's going out now? State need-based scholarships?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

The website says awarding begins April 1st and no paper notifications will be sent out (only an email directing students to log onto SURFS to view and accept/decline). I assumed loans, school scholarships, grants, and work studies all fall under that award category.

Thanks!

I believe now it's mostly merit scholarships, and for the SURFS related things in April it's need-based, loans, grants, etc.

Hi guys,

Thanks!

I agree with @DKH27. My scholarship says granted from the school itself and it is merit based. The state need-based usually comes with the federal need based, titled as a grant not scholarship.

And the state merit-based requires additional applications on the state website. If you are in state, you would have/should receive an email from the state university system telling you where to apply.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I agree with @DKH27. My scholarship says granted from the school itself and it is merit based. The state need-based usually comes with the federal need based, titled as a grant not scholarship.

And the state merit-based requires additional applications on the state website. If you are in state, you would have/should receive an email from the state university system telling you where to apply.

Thanks for clarifying! This helps a lot.

I just got pulled off of pre-interview hold and was given an II today!! There's still hope, everybody!! LM=69, complete in July

I just got pulled off of pre-interview hold and was given an II today!! There's still hope, everybody!! LM=69, complete in July

Congratulations! This is my dream! I was placed on hold in November, wrote a "why maryland" essay, and less than a month later got another hold email. Also sent an update letter three days before the second hold email. Did you send in any updates or anything recently? I really want to show them that I'm still here and interested, Maryland is my state school!

Got an II after being placed on hold in november

Reactions: 2 users
Got an II here yesterday. IS, LizzyM 74-76. So weird, never put on hold. Actually called about my status last week and the office was actually very flustered when they saw that I had not received any communication since July. Aww well, it turned out good in the end!

Congratulations! This is my dream! I was placed on hold in November, wrote a "why maryland" essay, and less than a month later got another hold email. Also sent an update letter three days before the second hold email. Did you send in any updates or anything recently? I really want to show them that I'm still here and interested, Maryland is my state school!
did you send an update recently?

MD is my state school too, so I'm super excited to see it! I've never sent them any updates though.

Merit scholarship letter came today :love: how freaking cute is UMD. Seriously.

I'm def going to SL, might as well lol home court and all. Are you going?! @WhittyPsyche

Around what time did you receive that email telling you where to apply? I got my acceptance about a month ago, but still haven't heard anything about applying for scholarships...

Around what time did you receive that email telling you where to apply? I got my acceptance about a month ago, but still haven't heard anything about applying for scholarships...

Did you submit your Fafsa? Are you IS? The state uses the FAFSA, I know because my email for apps/AMCAS and email for fafsa are different and they contacted me on the latter.

The Maryland Higher Education Commission is the agency and they emailed me Nov. 30th. I was accepted in early December. It's not related to when you are accepted, it's when you completed the FAFSA.

Did you submit your Fafsa? Are you IS? The state uses the FAFSA, I know because my email for apps/AMCAS and email for fafsa are different and they contacted me on the latter.

The Maryland Higher Education Commission is the agency and they emailed me Nov. 30th. I was accepted in early December. It's not related to when you are accepted, it's when you completed the FAFSA.

Yeah I'm IS, and I submitted mine in January so that may be why. How long after submitting did it take you to hear from them?