2016-2017 University of Oklahoma Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HI all. Current MS-1 here. Been super busy so havent looked at this forum in awhile. Illl try to check a few times over christmas break if you have any questions shoot.

Members don't see this ad.

HI all. Current MS-1 here. Been super busy so havent looked at this forum in awhile. Illl try to check a few times over christmas break if you have any questions shoot.
Thanks!

The closer we get to Monday, the longer it seems to take.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current students here- how did you choose between the OKC and SCM track? Prior to interviewing I was dead set on the Tulsa track, but I was very impressed with the OKC track and the opportunities there after interviewing. As I see it:

OKC:
Bigger (and arguably better) campus
More research opportunities (though to be honest I'm not that interested in anything other than public health research)
More established school
Academic instead of community hospitals

Tulsa:
Better student:faculty ratios, (also better cadaver:student ratios)
Community health emphasis a plus (for me at least)
Tuition assistance with public health coursework
More tight-knit group of students, SCM students say it's less "cutthroat" than OKC, but they're obviously biased

I wonder if there is a disadvantage in attending SCM if you have an interest in a residency that is only offered in OKC. I'm speaking as someone who will be remaining in Oklahoma one way or another due to a child.

As a tulsa student, just to clarify, SCM is not aimed at just primary care so if you have other interests, don't feel like you will be pigeon holed by choosing the track. The focus of the track is to learn about medicine with the "bigger picture" in mind, and thus greater awareness of the surroundings outside of a hospital or clinic. It's not a "primary care" or a "rural medicine track". Learning such things are helpful no matter what community or specialty we end up in. Also, here are the SCM match results for the past two years. As you can see, many people did not end up in primary care specialties. PM if you have more specific questions about SCM.

http://www.ou.edu/content/dam/Tulsa/scm/rsa/OUSCM Match Results 2015.pdf

http://www.ou.edu/content/dam/Tulsa/scm/rsa/SCMAdmissions/TW Ad SOCM Grads 0514.pdf

Reactions: 1 user
As a tulsa student, just to clarify, SCM is not aimed at just primary care so if you have other interests, don't feel like you will be pigeon holed by choosing the track. The focus of the track is to learn about medicine with the "bigger picture" in mind, and thus greater awareness of the surroundings outside of a hospital or clinic. It's not a "primary care" or a "rural medicine track". Learning such things are helpful no matter what community or specialty we end up in. Also, here are the SCM match results for the past two years. As you can see, many people did not end up in primary care specialties. PM if you have more specific questions about SCM.

http://www.ou.edu/content/dam/Tulsa/scm/rsa/OUSCM Match Results 2015.pdf

http://www.ou.edu/content/dam/Tulsa/scm/rsa/SCMAdmissions/TW Ad SOCM Grads 0514.pdf

What residency do you want to go into?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can't wait till next monday

Last edited:
If monday is the day, I wonder what time they will email us results..

Members don't see this ad :)
Captain how would you describe your med school experience so far?

Who else has already started to frenetically refresh their emails this morning?

Reactions: 7 users
Oh, thank the lord. I thought I was the only one. The suspense is killer!

feeling anxious, might just turn off my phone until 7pm or so :(

This is torture.....

Reactions: 3 users
I possibly remember on my interview day that the date December 22nd was mentioned as the release date. Does anyone remember if this is accurate? If I have to wait three more days I will have no fingernails or hair on my head!

I possibly remember on my interview day that the date December 22nd was mentioned as the release date. Does anyone remember if this is accurate? If I have to wait three more days I will have no fingernails or hair on my head!
Hi there! I called this morning because I couldn't take the waiting. I was told "this Tuesday or Wednesday. Probably Tuesday." Hope that helps!

Hi there! I called this morning because I couldn't take the waiting. I was told "this Tuesday or Wednesday. Probably Tuesday." Hope that helps!
this school is slaying me right now

This sucks.

Noooooooo!

Michaelscottfacepalm1.gif

Reactions: 8 users
There is no way I will be able to sleep tonight.

That's the estimate of when hard-copies go out. Emails should go out here shortly. This forum is on west coast time, so 1-3pm in prior years is actually 3-5pm central time. Good luck everyone!

That's the estimate of when hard-copies go out. Emails should go out here shortly. This forum is on west coast time, so 1-3pm in prior years is actually 3-5pm central time. Good luck everyone!
Thanks mate, I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

Woo, 2 more hours of staring at my email!

I really hope that they do send out emails today.

I called the admissions offices at around 2 and was told " we hope to send them out on Thursday afternoon." Hate to bear bad news.

We COULD play a game of "Zombie Med School," where it's premeds trying to find all of the zombie med students in the group before all are "invited." aka mafia.

I called the admissions offices at around 2 and was told " we hope to send them out on Thursday afternoon." Hate to bear bad news.
So, are you sure that is the emails and not the hard copies?

I hope I don't get coal this year.

So, are you sure that is the emails and not the hard copies?

I just called and he said he thinks announcements go out Thursday..this will be a great or sucky Christmas.

Didn't we all know that "You'll have an answer before Christmas" meant they'll email right at 11:59 PM Dec. 24th?

How sure are you mate? Everyone else has me worried. :depressed:

Sorry they are making you wait one more day! It truly is the worst wait ever. I am a current OKC MS1 as well so if you want a different perspective on anything, let me know.

Dotty just said we will know Thursday. They've already sent out rejections for those who did not have an II. Those who had interviews will know Thursday by email.

Dotty just said we will know Thursday. They've already sent out rejections for those who did not have an II. Those who had interviews will know Thursday by email.
I believe Dotty is wrong. Just received my email acceptance...