2016-2017 University of Pennsylvania (Perelman) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted...

Members don't see this ad.

ACCEPTED!:) The Dr. Who boxers came through yet again!!!!!! I'll take that shot of PENNicillin now thank you very much.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did not apply in the last cycle, but U Penn is potentially the highest reach school for me for this upcoming cycle. I say potentially because there's a chance that I might not apply at all...

Now, to the point, I know that U Penn gets a ton of well qualified applicants who apply early every year. The problem I am facing is that I am a non-trad applicant and my original plan was to take the MCAT in May 19 (score released June 20). However, the more I study, the less confident I feel about the MCAT, so I am thinking about postponing it to at least June 1 (score released July 6) or even June 19 (score released July 18). I am trying my best to stick to May 19th schedule, but with school final coming up along with hospital work, postponing may be needed. Would I be too late for applying to U Penn if my score is sent on 7/18 and my application is complete past mid-July? What are the chances of getting an interview from U Penn when your app is complete in July? (My primary should be complete by no later than 6/25, but verification may take some time). I would love some insight from last year's applicants. Thank you so much in advance.
Wait is this for srs? Complete in July is hella early. The goal is to be complete during August/by the start of Sept to be normal timing

I did not apply in the last cycle, but U Penn is potentially the highest reach school for me for this upcoming cycle. I say potentially because there's a chance that I might not apply at all...

Now, to the point, I know that U Penn gets a ton of well qualified applicants who apply early every year. The problem I am facing is that I am a non-trad applicant and my original plan was to take the MCAT in May 19 (score released June 20). However, the more I study, the less confident I feel about the MCAT, so I am thinking about postponing it to at least June 1 (score released July 6) or even June 19 (score released July 18). I am trying my best to stick to May 19th schedule, but with school final coming up along with hospital work, postponing may be needed. Would I be too late for applying to U Penn if my score is sent on 7/18 and my application is complete past mid-July? What are the chances of getting an interview from U Penn when your app is complete in July? (My primary should be complete by no later than 6/25, but verification may take some time). I would love some insight from last year's applicants. Thank you so much in advance.

Since Penn is non-rolling and doesn't release any decisions until March, you could probably be complete in September and have it not hurt you. I actually really regret scheduling my interview here so early on in the cycle - maybe if I had had more practice beforehand I would have done better.

Reactions: 1 user

Submit your AMCAS to one throw away school when it opens in June so it gets verified while you wait. Then if you're happy with your score in July add the schools you want to apply to. If you submit secondaries soon after you receive them you'll still be relatively early.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
based on past years, it comes out in April...but someone on reddit seems to have gotten one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah idk this sounds slightly suspicious. I've heard from Penn students that this typically comes out in April. Maybe they give it to a few amazing students early on?
yeah according to his post, he had a near perfect MCAT. maybe they wanted to attract him early before he got other offers.

In the past, the scholarship committee has met after acceptances go out (last year it was mid-April) to divvy up 21st Century scholarships, and then merit and need-based awards have been released on the same day. So it would be a big break in tradition for someone to get an offer with acceptance, but I guess anything's possible.

When and how do we complete the CSS profile?
You need to go to through the College Board and fill out the painful multipart form about your and your parents' income etc. Just search CSS profile in google.

Could a current student chime in on where most students live/normal range for rent to expect?

There was a housing guide packet last year in the portal after acceptance. It was somewhere deep in there lol. Probably more helpful than me.

But just speaking off the top of my head ~~
There's a split between west Philly and center city/grad hospital area. West Philly is generally cheaper. Center city/grad hospital is much closer to downtown, but more expensive. Idk what it is for us first years, but plenty of people live in grad hospital and plenty of people live in west philly. Some will end up moving to the opposite side of the river they live now come second year. It all depends on what suits you. I think most end up moving east of the river though.

Many first years that live in grad hospital area live in row homes that they rent out with other med students (some upperclassmen, especially MD/PhDs, or past graduated students may actually buy a house and 'keep it in the Penn med family' for rent). Could vary between ~$800-1200 depending on exactly where and which room in the house you get. Other non-row homes off the top of my head are Naval square, 2400 chestnut, 3737 chestnut, Domus, Left bank, but are a little more expensive (especially the later). Although, a 1 bed/1 bath in Naval square is really cheap if you have a SO to live with and split the rent. It's really nice in there.

You could probably get a decent studio in a decent location in west philly for $800-$1000 near 43rd and Spruce. Perks are living alone and close to campus/gym/groceries, but far from downtown when people want to go out. In general, the farther west you get in west philly, the more sketch. The farther south you get when east of the river, the more sketch.

Lots of people find roommates during preview. There will be an online roommate posting/finder after preview too - that's where I found my current living situation. Also, lots of people may have different takes on what I wrote above, so definitely ask around!

Hello friends/future classmates/intrepid waitlistronauts,

I thought you might be interested in some insight into this admissions cycle.

Penn interviewed ~700 applicants and offered ~230 acceptances. As far as I'm aware that includes MD/PhD. For those wondering whether grades/essays/ECs/etc matter post-interview, the answer would seem to be yes. Anecdotally, I interviewed multiple applicants and the ones who got in were not the ones I rated the highest (though their ratings were not at all low). Some other students I talked to said the same thing happened with their interviewees. Before reading too much into this, it's good to remember that the faculty interview is important and these applicants may have rocked that one. Penn is all about fit - if your interview is fine and they deem you a great fit then you can get in even if someone else's interview had a slightly better score.

As you all have found out, Penn doesn't take many off the waitlist. If you really want to come here and can back it up with good reasoning, definitely write a letter of intent. For those who have been accepted, negotiate your scholarships. Penn has a lot of scholarship money to offer, but they play hardball - you have to ask for it. If you can show an offer from another highly-regarded school, definitely do so.

That's all I can really contribute, but I hope it's helpful. I'm not going to check this account or post again so please don't send PM's or ask for more info.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello friends/future classmates/intrepid waitlistronauts,

I thought you might be interested in some insight into this admissions cycle.

Penn interviewed ~700 applicants and offered ~230 acceptances. As far as I'm aware that includes MD/PhD. For those wondering whether grades/essays/ECs/etc matter post-interview, the answer would seem to be yes. Anecdotally, I interviewed multiple applicants and the ones who got in were not the ones I rated the highest (though their ratings were not at all low). Some other students I talked to said the same thing happened with their interviewees. Before reading too much into this, it's good to remember that the faculty interview is important and these applicants may have rocked that one. Penn is all about fit - if your interview is fine and they deem you a great fit then you can get in even if someone else's interview had a slightly better score.

As you all have found out, Penn doesn't take many off the waitlist. If you really want to come here and can back it up with good reasoning, definitely write a letter of intent. For those who have been accepted, negotiate your scholarships. Penn has a lot of scholarship money to offer, but they play hardball - you have to ask for it. If you can show an offer from another highly-regarded school, definitely do so.

That's all I can really contribute, but I hope it's helpful. I'm not going to check this account or post again so please don't send PM's or ask for more info.
Do you know who the director of admissions is here? I'm trying to find out but I can't find any name or contact info online.

Does anyone know what's happening on April 22nd during Penn Preview? I trying to juggle between two second look weekends and it looks like Friday is a big day for Penn. For anyone else trying to attend two overlapping second look weekends, how are you splitting it?

Does anyone know what's happening on April 22nd during Penn Preview? I trying to juggle between two second look weekends and it looks like Friday is a big day for Penn. For anyone else trying to attend two overlapping second look weekends, how are you splitting it?
The last day is pretty much just a housing tour, if it's the same as in years past. Missable.

And @tarheelpenner, it's Gaye Scheffler

Does anyone have the percentages of graduates matching first choice, and top three choices?

Maybe it's because of CHOP but their pediatrics match list has consistently been insane and no other school comes close to it. I'm blown away each year

Just withdrew from WL, heading to Pritzker! Good luck everybody!

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone know whether consideration for the Century 21 scholarship or other merit-based scholarships is affected negatively if you do not apply for need-based aid?

Does anyone know whether consideration for the Century 21 scholarship or other merit-based scholarships is affected negatively if you do not apply for need-based aid?
Doubtful. They are merit, not need-based, scholarships.

When are we supposed to hear back from financial aid? I have mid-April in my head but can't find any official info

Would like to know this as well..Also,
1- if need-based fin Aid is expected in the next 2 weeks, should we be expecting merit scholarships anytime now??
2- Does a full-tuition scholarship include fees (technology fee, general fee, etc) ?

Are we supposed to wear the hats to second look?

Reactions: 6 users
Would like to know this as well..Also,
1- if need-based fin Aid is expected in the next 2 weeks, should we be expecting merit scholarships anytime now??
2- Does a full-tuition scholarship include fees (technology fee, general fee, etc) ?
1. Merit and need-based released the same day
2. Yes

based on past years, does most of the wait list movement happen in mid May/end of May? Do any acceptances come in June?

Have people gotten financial aid awards?

Have people gotten financial aid awards?

Not yet, but I called today and asked if they knew when the financial aid and scholarship info would be released. I was told we should get an email Friday or Monday (4-14 or 4-17).

Can confirm it includes merit. Day made *cries*

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

GOD BLESS THIS SCHOOL. I"M IN TEARS.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to those who got merit scholarships!! If it's not too personal to answer, are they the 21st century scholarships or the other merit scholarships that are awarded?

1/2 tuition need-based scholarship. Much better than expected.

Does the 21st century scholarship include the entire budget? Im curious how it works for people that received it

Last edited:
21st century scholarship + Cost of living stipend!!!!
Halpppp I'm still ugly crying in class!!!

Reactions: 6 users