2016-2017 University of Pennsylvania (Perelman) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is Penn one of those schools where they assign you a date or do you get to choose from a calendar?

Members don't see this ad.

No. Decisions have historically come out during spring break at the same time for everyone post-interview. This academic year, it is March 6-10, 2017. Check last year's thread for a compiled list of previous years times/dates.

Members don't see this ad :)
II!!! Wow, I'm so shocked to receive an interview here. Complete mid july, Lizzy M 76

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
+1 so excited and shocked all at the same time!! LizzyM 75, complete 7/25

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
FYI: the portal says that the dress code is business casual for interview day (no jacket required).

Does anyone know if it's possible to go back into the portal and edit your interview date after you submit one? Or is it like the other schools, where you have to email the admissions office if you want to change your date?

Does anyone know if it's possible to go back into the portal and edit your interview date after you submit one? Or is it like the other schools, where you have to email the admissions office if you want to change your date?
I think mine said I can make changes through the portal until 8/31

I think mine said I can make changes through the portal until 8/31

Thanks, Karabo!! Mine said that too, but I'm too scared to actually click it and confirm (waiting on another travel plan to get back to me). If someone has already clicked the submit button, I'd love to know if you were allowed to go back and edit!

Thanks, Karabo!! Mine said that too, but I'm too scared to actually click it and confirm (waiting on another travel plan to get back to me). If someone has already clicked the submit button, I'd love to know if you were allowed to go back and edit!
I just submitted and there's an option to go back and change the interview day. Go ahead and submit!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite! Completed July 18th

FYI: the portal says that the dress code is business casual for interview day (no jacket required).

That's awesome, sounds like my kind of school!

Does Perelman has a fee waiver for those who received AAMC FAP.

II just now as well! Super stoked about this one. Complete 7/15

II here as well!!! :heckyeah: Complete late July
Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
Congrats everybody! If you don't mind, what dates are available?

II this morning! Completed August 26

Do you think if I submit my secondary this weekend, it will be too late?

stats: 3.89 GPA, 522 MCAT

For those of you who filled out the interview form, do you know if the lunch option with student/faculty is for those interested in learning more about LGBT (since the option didn't show up unless you clicked yes for LGBT)? Or does clicking yes or no for lunch mean lunch with any student/faculty in general?

For those of you who filled out the interview form, do you know if the lunch option with student/faculty is for those interested in learning more about LGBT (since the option didn't show up unless you clicked yes for LGBT)? Or does clicking yes or no for lunch mean lunch with any student/faculty in general?
From what I know, there isn't a separate lunch for students who are underrepresented in medicine, but there is a separate breakfast for that.

For the "global activities" question, if I described it in my AMCAS primary (was also one of my MM activity), should I describe it again? or just put down: please refer to primary app?

For the "global activities" question, if I described it in my AMCAS primary (was also one of my MM activity), should I describe it again? or just put down: please refer to primary app?
I would probably just start with "As described in my primary application....yadda yadda yadda." That way if someone is just looking at your secondary they get a complete picture, but if someone has your complete file they are signaled that it will be repetitive information.

Bump - if anyone who filled out the interview form remembers if there was a separate option regarding either breakfast or lunch with students/faculty, please let me know!!

Bump - if anyone who filled out the interview form remembers if there was a separate option regarding either breakfast or lunch with students/faculty, please let me know!!

There is an optional breakfast for URM students, and I saw nothing about a lunch, so I'm assuming that is the option that appeared after checking yes to LGTBQ

MS1s just finished their first exams! Now to take a breather and start getting ready to welcome the first batch of interviewees next week! Anatomy dissections also start, so next week will definitely be interesting.

I highly recommend going to the diversity breakfast if you can. It was definitely an enjoyable expereince for me when I interviewed. What I really like about Penn is its emphasis on diversity AND inclusion. So I'll try to make it to breakfast on at least one of the interview days per week to welcome the applicants! Also since many of us have classes, don't be alarmed by some joining/leaving during it. Some days are harder than others to attend for the MS1s -- we just had our first exams, so some of us now realize actually going to class rather than VC-ing might work better lol. Feel free to ask us about anything though - the MS2+ might have more relevant knowledge since they've been here longer than I have.

One last thing about dress code for interview. Don't stress at all about it. If you want to come in a suit/standard interview attire, you're more than welcome to. If you want to come in business casual, then that's fine. If you don't know how to interpret 'business casual' and don't want to think about it for interview, a suit is perfectly fine. It may be one less thing or one less stressor to worry about. Interviewers don't write about what you wear and if they do, it's pretty much not considered. The reasoning for the switch has to do with MD/PhDs switching their MD-only interviews on Thursday, which was traditionally the casual day.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 4 users
Still says under screening.

Got II yesterday for MSTP! Application completed Sept 3, LizzyM 72

II for MSTP! So happy! Application completed mid-August, LizzyM 81