2016-2017 University of Pennsylvania (Perelman) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I totally agree with this! I had the same reaction. Well, probably shouldn't have applied to the Ivies coming from Ohio haha

Currently kicking myself for wasting money and time on AMCAS as a Texan lol

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone get a phone call a week or so after their interview day from Penn? I was super surprised. They asked me about how I felt about the interview day and if I feedback to give.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone get a phone call a week or so after their interview day from Penn? I was super surprised. They asked me about how I felt about the interview day and if I feedback to give.
Maybe they do that if you didn't fill out the survey email they sent?

Members don't see this ad :)

I think this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I got the call too. It was from a diversity person, though (I don't think non-minorities/non-diversity applicants get the call). And this was the case last year I think. Don't read into it!

I know during my interview day, they said they wanted to hear if they're your top choice–this would be done in a letter of intent through their portal, right? However, are these usually sent before decisions are sent out, or if you wind up on the waitlist?

I know during my interview day, they said they wanted to hear if they're your top choice–this would be done in a letter of intent through their portal, right? However, are these usually sent before decisions are sent out, or if you wind up on the waitlist?
From my understanding, a letter of intent is usually sent after a waitlist. Your application is indication enough to them that you want to attend, but it would be helpful for them to know that if they accept you off of the waitlist that you will drop your spot at another school to attend. That's what I've gathered from our esteemed adcoms on SDN anyway.

I almost died just now when I saw that email :eek:

....and now back to sitting on my thumb for another month.

Reactions: 1 users
I almost died just now when I saw that email :eek:

....and now back to sitting on my thumb for another month.
me too. For one second I thought decisions had come out. Then I remembered that this is the medical school process. Nothing happens ahead of schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, decisions have historically come out during our spring break, which is the week of March 6th of this year. They came out on the Tuesday of last year's spring break. The actual day of the week the decisions come out may vary, but it's about less than two weeks away!

Preview is April 20th. The tentative schedule was emailed to us first years today

Preview is on a Thursday? Do people take off work/school for something like that if we are lucky enough to get accepted? Most of the others I've noticed are scheduled on a weekend

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's a three day event. Thursday through Saturday. Different things are scheduled on different days. All events are completely optional. Some may leave early/come late for other second looks or other reasons like school/work.

Most of the really fun social stuff is at night : )

It's a three day event. Thursday through Saturday. Different things are scheduled on different days. All events are completely optional. Some may leave early/come late for other second looks or other reasons like school/work.

Most of the really fun social stuff is at night : )

Thanks for the info! Looks like I picked a bad weekend to get married, but who knows if I'll even have to worry about it. Patiently waiting until decisions

I wonder if an update this week would matter or if they've already made decisions and are just waiting to release. Anyone happen to remember mention of when committee meets?

Also, decisions have historically come out during our spring break, which is the week of March 6th of this year. They came out on the Tuesday of last year's spring break. The actual day of the week the decisions come out may vary, but it's about less than two weeks away!

Thanks for the info! Do you know how many people Penn ended up interviewing?

No problem!

I have no idea how many Penn interviewed. I could pull up all the emails we got before each interview of who interviewed for the day and then add everyone up, but that would take some time lol.

And no idea if decisions have been made already for the MD-only side of things.

Reactions: 3 users
No problem!

I have no idea how many Penn interviewed. I could pull up all the emails we got before each interview of who interviewed for the day and then add everyone up, but that would take some time lol.

And no idea if decisions have been made already for the MD-only side of things.
I like you:claps:

Quite possibly. I remember Skip saying that the committee meets about this week (or maybe last week - definitely in February though)

10 days until decisions came out last year... Everybody hyped to be disappointed?

Bleh now just feeling like I'm ready to receive a rejection :/

The info sheet that they gave us says last year 797 interviewed, 240 accepted so 30% according to that?

Just tryna feel a little better about this why you gotta step on my dreams :p

MSAR says 879 tho, typo?

Current MSAR is for two cycles ago, no? Perhaps the admissions office gave us last year's numbers, but a 100 person change in interviewees would be weird...

Current MSAR is for two cycles ago, no? Perhaps the admissions office gave us last year's numbers, but a 100 person change in interviewees would be weird...
Whoops misread some numbers. Maybe it's whether they count MSTP or not?

Guys... I can't believe this needs clarification but MSAR data is from two years ago and the numbers from the Penn interview are from last year.

My guess is that they are trying to interview less people as suggested before.

Guys... I can't believe this needs clarification but MSAR data is from two years ago and the numbers from the Penn interview are from last year.

My guess is that they are trying to interview less people as suggested before.
And my guess is that they are not including MSTP rather than interviewing 100 less than prior years! If they matriculate about 25 MSTP people per year that would be the ~90 missing interviews.

doesn't make sense though for them to not include MSTP in interview number but then to include MSTP in offer number. If we just add on 90 more interviews and then 25 more offers % accepted post-interview should pretty much stay the same

True true maybe they did make the interview cohort way smaller last year, guess we will find out in April when the MSAR updates to that cycle

I was wondering, does UPenn accept update letters/letters of intent? I couldn't find anywhere on the supplemental app to update on recent activities, should I email the admissions committee directly?

I was wondering, does UPenn accept update letters/letters of intent? I couldn't find anywhere on the supplemental app to update on recent activities, should I email the admissions committee directly?

If you go under the letters tab of the portal you can add updates there. It's at the bottom of the page.

They do, and hurry with uploading it! They are likely in the midst of decision making right now since acceptances went out middle of next week in the previous cycle

The administration just sent out an email to current students saying that decisions will be released shortly, so hopefully they will be released some time next week.

Reactions: 12 users
The administration just sent out an email to current students saying that decisions will be released shortly, so hopefully they will be released some time next week.

Panic time? Panic time.

Reactions: 7 users
It's not so bad, just don't think about the 70%+ post-interview reject rate and how scary impressive everyone was at interview day!

It's not so bad, just don't think about the 70%+ post-interview reject rate and how scary impressive everyone was at interview day!

Silver lining - I can take your WashU spot if you get in here.