2016-2017 University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II just now! Any recommendations on hotels?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Look into Airbnb if you have it. I stayed with someone who was a student at UTHSC and they had lots of helpful info about the school and the area.

There's also a quality inn on south Camilla that two people on my interview day stayed at.

Edit: that was last year but I'm sure nothing has changed. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
On hold as well. Process is weird man... Just got accepted to an OOS school an hour after I opened the UT letter. Everything happens for a reason I guess!

Reactions: 3 users
Can anyone comment on how difficult this is for OOS? I am from a contiguous state and received a secondary. Would they really call me from such a distance just to place me on hold if I got an interview later on in this cycle? I want to interview here and genuinely would like to be accepted but I have a couple acceptances in nearby states (Georgetown, UofA)

Last edited:
Just scheduled my interview!!! Can someone on here give me some insight as to the interview process that day and questions to prepare to discuss?

Just scheduled my interview!!! Can someone on here give me some insight as to the interview process that day and questions to prepare to discuss?
Copy/pasted from my post on last year's thread:

The first hour was Nelson giving a briefing on the school, their curriculum, research opportunities, etc. (essentially preparing you for any of the "why UTHSC?" questions you may get during an interview).

You will have two 1-hour interviews: one is closed-file, so they don't have your AMCAS in front of them (however, I am certain that they read your AMCAS at one point because my interviewer came prepared with a page of notes) - they are essentially trying to get an idea of you as a person. During this interview I got a few ethics questions, but it was mostly a stimulating back-and-forth conversation and didn't seem like an interview at all. I was prepared for/expecting current events questions or something about politics but I didn't get any, it was very relaxed.
The second interview was open-file and this is where you get "grilled" about your MCAT, any low grades, how you've spent any off-time, etc. It's more intense than the closed-file but nowhere near as stressful as some MMIs that I have been to where they are purposely trying to throw you off.

You have lunch with current students, get a tour of the campus, and get to see students in the anatomy labs/lecture halls. When I interviewed there were PT/OT students in the anatomy labs.

Overall it was very laid back, and very, very informative - they paint a good picture of their school and I didn't feel like they were covering up or trying to hide anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Overall it was very laid back, and very, very informative - they paint a good picture of their school and I didn't feel like they were covering up or trying to hide anything.[/QUOTE]
Copy/pasted from my post on last year's thread:

The first hour was Nelson giving a briefing on the school, their curriculum, research opportunities, etc. (essentially preparing you for any of the "why UTHSC?" questions you may get during an interview).

You will have two 1-hour interviews: one is closed-file, so they don't have your AMCAS in front of them (however, I am certain that they read your AMCAS at one point because my interviewer came prepared with a page of notes) - they are essentially trying to get an idea of you as a person. During this interview I got a few ethics questions, but it was mostly a stimulating back-and-forth conversation and didn't seem like an interview at all. I was prepared for/expecting current events questions or something about politics but I didn't get any, it was very relaxed.
The second interview was open-file and this is where you get "grilled" about your MCAT, any low grades, how you've spent any off-time, etc. It's more intense than the closed-file but nowhere near as stressful as some MMIs that I have been to where they are purposely trying to throw you off.

You have lunch with current students, get a tour of the campus, and get to see students in the anatomy labs/lecture halls. When I interviewed there were PT/OT students in the anatomy labs.

Overall it was very laid back, and very, very informative - they paint a good picture of their school and I didn't feel like they were covering up or trying to hide anything.

Thanks!!! This was great, useful information!!

I was placed on "hold" here this cycle. Just curious to see how many others have been placed on hold, as well. So annoying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was placed on "hold" here this cycle. Just curious to see how many others have been placed on hold, as well. So annoying.
I was placed on hold back in december, but I was accepted at ETSU. I've heard that there is some crosstalk between UT and ETSU, so I'm wondering if that's why I was accepted at one and not the other.

They place a lot of people on hold unfortunately. They accept about 50-60 off the alternate list each year. Usually if you're in the top 3rd, chances are good. They don't release the exact number on hold though.

They place a lot of people on hold unfortunately. They accept about 50-60 off the alternate list each year. Usually if you're in the top 3rd, chances are good. They don't release the exact number on hold though.

Please explain to me what being placed on "hold" means?

Anyone receive an email from Ms. Harris yet about surveys/decisions going out today??

Hey! So I have an interview this Wednesday and I was wondering when I would hear back? Also, do they send an email, paper mail, or both?

Hey! So I have an interview this Wednesday and I was wondering when I would hear back? Also, do they send an email, paper mail, or both?

They'll decide on your application this Friday. Then they'll send out the paper letter the next Friday.

Can anyone that has received their letters comment on how long after the Friday mailing date it took to be delivered?

I think I deleted the email with the link to the accepted fb group. Does anyone happen to have it?

got my letter today, opened it with trembling hands and...

HOLD

:)

Could an upperclassman give info on where students tend to live in Memphis?

Sorry if this has already been posted but I got an email saying the survey has been mailed; does the decision letter come with the survey or are they different?

Sorry if this has already been posted but I got an email saying the survey has been mailed; does the decision letter come with the survey or are they different?

Should be mailed at the same time. But in different envelopes, so it could come same day or different day depending on how postal service handles it.

Should be mailed at the same time. But in different envelopes, so it could come same day or different day depending on how postal service handles it.

I'm in Knoxville and both letters arrived same day.

Does anyone know when UT sends out invites to interview for scholarships?

Accepted! Received the pdf of my letter yesterday in an email that said packets went out yesterday as well.

Edit: packet received today!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Received the pdf of my letter yesterday in an email that said packets went out yesterday as well.

Edit: packet received today!

If you don't mind me asking when did you interview? I interviewed the week of March 6-8 and have yet to hear anything from Ms. Harris about letters being sent, and I haven't received anything in the mail.

Thank You!

Has anyone that interviewed during March 6th-8th heard anything from Ms. Harris or received their decision letters/surveys?

If you don't mind me asking when did you interview? I interviewed the week of March 6-8 and have yet to hear anything from Ms. Harris about letters being sent, and I haven't received anything in the mail.

Thank You!

I interviewed that week as well but I live in Memphis so that may be why I got mine sooner. I got the survey and the packet yesterday, they came separately.

I interviewed the week of the 6th as well and I haven't heard anything yet. I emailed Ms. Harris, but have not received a response. I don't have an email saying the survey was sent.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/QUOTE]

So, can someone explain what "hold" means? If I'm correct, a "hold" is a list before the waitlist. An explanation would be appreciated.

So, can someone explain what "hold" means? If I'm correct, a "hold" is a list before the waitlist. An explanation would be appreciated.

Basically they've decided to wait until a future meeting to make a final decision. I can't imagine they have many more interview days left, so I think they'll make the alternate list soon.

Basically they've decided to wait until a future meeting to make a final decision. I can't imagine they have many more interview days left, so I think they'll make the alternate list soon.

Is this a good thing? Just really confused................

Is this a good thing? Just really confused................
For what it's worth, I'm in the "hold" category as well. It's neither good nor bad. You didn't get rejected, but you didn't get accepted either. Essentially, they are interested in you, but they just weren't ready to offer acceptance to you at that time and wanted to finish interviews to make sure there wasn't someone else they wanted to make an offer to. More than likely a hold means you'll be placed on the waitlist. The waitlist will be probably be formed in the next 3 weeks if not sooner, and then you can contact Nelson to see where you rank on it. Hopefully that won't be the case for either of us and we'll both get accepted before the waitlist is made :horns:

For what it's worth, I'm in the "hold" category as well. It's neither good nor bad. You didn't get rejected, but you didn't get accepted either. Essentially, they are interested in you, but they just weren't ready to offer acceptance to you at that time and wanted to finish interviews to make sure there wasn't someone else they wanted to make an offer to. More than likely a hold means you'll be placed on the waitlist. The waitlist will be probably be formed in the next 3 weeks if not sooner, and then you can contact Nelson to see where you rank on it. Hopefully that won't be the case for either of us and we'll both get accepted before the waitlist is made :horns:

Do you know how many get put on the "hold" list? Do you know how they rank the waitlist and how many they normally take off the waitlist? Thanks so much, you've been very helpful!

Do you know how many get put on the "hold" list? Do you know how they rank the waitlist and how many they normally take off the waitlist? Thanks so much, you've been very helpful!

I've seen that if you're in the top third, your chances are pretty good.
I think they had like 120+ on the list last year?

So, if you move from the "hold" list to the waitlist, you probably will be close to the top of the waitlist?

I want to say last year the wait list was about 240 people. I'm not sure how they rank it, but I'd guess it would be by some sort of scoring system they have for your application/interview. The number of people that get accepted from the wait list varies depending on how many people withdraw, but I know last year it was around 50.