2016-2017 University of Texas - Southwestern Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sorry, I am not trying to be augmentative, I just don't think you are giving out accurate information. I am aware I am in a different boat, but I still not want someone to get screwed over because he/she read something on a forum and believed it was gospel. They really need to think hard about which one they rank first, because while it may be hard to match to southwestern, if they are not 100% but put them first with the hope that while they may get in, they are not sure yet which school they would rather go to. Then if they get off the waitlist, they are going to southwestern whether they want to go to southwestern or not. if they think about it and decide they would rather go to southwestern out of the 2 schools, then by all means put southwestern first, even if you think it is unlikely for a match, if it is your top school, there is no harm in marking them first and hoping for the best, schools do not see your rank preferences, and even if they don't hear back, they still have the knowledge that they will go to a great school. But if they are not sure which on they would rather go to, but put southwestern because they didn't think they would get in, but after more thought (and say they receive a scholarship for mcgovern) they would rather go to mcgovern, if they get into southwestern, their previous acceptance at McGovern will be dropped and they will be going to southwestern regardless of their preference. I am not saying don't put southwestern first, but just to think hard about which school they would actually rather go to and not put anything down as a placeholder, because the only time you can hold more that one acceptance is during the pre-match period. after jan 20, your ranking alone decides which school is the one acceptance you hold
Yes that is true. Thanks for clarifying! Just because it's unlikely to happen doesn't mean it won't, and this is a big thing to leave up to fate.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is that true?

If I ranked UTSW over let's say, Houston ... then match to Houston, I am fairly sure if UTSW pulled me from the waitlist, I'd still have the option to choose Houston (maybe for $, or because of second look I suddenly like it more).

TMDSAS states that after match, regular rolling admission takes place. Just curious. I'm not debating where I'm going but that was my understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is that true?

If I ranked UTSW over let's say, Houston ... then match to Houston, I am fairly sure if UTSW pulled me from the waitlist, I'd still have the option to choose Houston (maybe for $, or because of second look I suddenly like it more).

TMDSAS states that after match, regular rolling admission takes place. Just curious. I'm not debating where I'm going but that was my understanding.

Yes what you are saying is correct.
The thing is if you rank UTSW higher and then you DO match at UTSW, then you will automatically be dropped from Houston.

Main point is, you have to really think about which school you like best before you submit your match list, because if you match at the school you ranked #1, that automatically drops you from all the other schools on the list.

If you match at school #2, you will then be on school #1's waitlist, and if you get into school #1 off the waitlist, you can compare #1 and #2 and decide which one you'd rather attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Mangomelee "sorry, I am not trying to be augmentative" People who start out a long speech saying they are not trying to be argumentative, always are. Anyone with questions about how the match really works should go read the rules in detail on the TMSDAS site.

In short, rank your true choices in order.

(Edited to add link to match rules including holding multiple spots going in to the match)
https://www.tmdsas.com/medical/acceptance_Match_info.html

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I've done this correctly, but I wanted to make sure. I just fill in the numbers 1, 2, 3... and go down the line right. When I did it updated my list in order so I am pretty sure I did it right. Here is a screenshot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 8.49.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 8.49.40 PM.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 158
I'm pretty sure I've done this correctly, but I wanted to make sure. I just fill in the numbers 1, 2, 3... and go down the line right. When I did it updated my list in order so I am pretty sure I did it right. Here is a screenshot.

Yas. :)

Is that true?

Nope, that's why I wrote my massive text :p the rank list is set in stone and you would be dropped from mcgovern and put in UTSW class, and even if you raised objections, there is nothing you, or mcgovern can do to get you back to the mcgovern class

Nope, that's why I wrote my massive text :p the rank list is set in stone and you would be dropped from mcgovern and put in UTSW class, and even if you raised objections, there is nothing you, or mcgovern can do to get you back to the mcgovern class

Yeah... I don't think so... source?

Edit: That is actually 100% untrue. Check past forums where people have been waitlisted in TX (which only happens if it was ranked higher) and then voluntarily withdrew from previous acceptances once they got word back from those schools.

Others have received multiple acceptances from waitlists and then made a choice.

No choice was made for them.

Example: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2015-16-tmdsas-waitlist-thread.1181913/page-3

Jav116 is a perfect example of someone who did not know if they wanted the waitlist spot.

Last edited:
Yeah... I don't think so... source?

Edit: That is actually 100% untrue. Check past forums where people have been waitlisted in TX (which only happens if it was ranked higher) and then voluntarily withdrew from previous acceptances once they got word back from those schools.

Others have received multiple acceptances from waitlists and then made a choice.

No choice was made for them.

Example: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2015-16-tmdsas-waitlist-thread.1181913/page-3

Jav116 is a perfect example of someone who did not know if they wanted the waitlist spot.
@Mangomelee is talking about pre-match and match, whereas you are talking about post-match.
You are both correct as far as I'm aware. The procedures are different between the 2 situations.

Then if they get off the waitlist, they are going to southwestern whether they want to go to southwestern or not.

Based on their response to my previous question and the above quote, I think they were also referencing post-match. Anyway, what I said is how post-match works and yes your ranking is set in stone and anywhere you match that is ranked higher will lead to the lower ranked being dropped. Post-match that isn't the case. Just didn't want anyone to freak out over (possible) misinformation. :thumbup:

Can't get over how nice everyone is at this school! All the post-acceptance emails have me like :love:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone

I didn't complete the secondary, but still got an interview on the last interview date (1/7/17). Upon receiving the invitation, I completed the secondary.

Does anyone know what this means or has anyone else experienced this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone

I didn't complete the secondary, but still got an interview on the last interview date (1/7/17). Upon receiving the invitation, I completed the secondary.

I don't think it really means anything, but it's good that you completed the secondary before your interview date. It happens occasionally.
Good luck this weekend!

Just got an email about financial aid -- anyone know how soon after filing FAFSA we will get our package? Is it entirely loans or is there grant money as well?

Just got an email about financial aid -- anyone know how soon after filing FAFSA we will get our package? Is it entirely loans or is there grant money as well?
I got mine already and I filled it out around thanksgiving. I think it depends on your income.

I got the "FAFSA file complete" email from Southwestern on 12/15 but I haven't received my package yet. I think most people get it mid spring. According to a financial aid presentation during MS0 weekend last year the package is a mix of grants, loans, and for some people scholarships.

Yeah. They mailed me a letter at home.

Yeah me too. I got a scholarship but that's not the whole package. The letter says it doesn't stop additional aid (grants, loans, scholarships).

The letter also states the scholarship is not considered when they evaluate need based aid.

Edit: It's full tuition too but I am waiting to see what else is available for expenses and such. (If anything)

Yeah me too. I got a scholarship but that's not the whole package. The letter says it doesn't stop additional aid (grants, loans, scholarships).

The letter also states the scholarship is not considered when they evaluate need based aid.

Edit: It's full tuition too but I am waiting to see what else is available for expenses and such. (If anything)

I got all loans after the scholarship.

Just curious, what kind of "real" pass/fail system does UTSW have? I know Baylor no longer lets internal rankings affect the Dean's Letter, except for the top 10% who get a special designation. I've been hearing conflicting reports on whether UTSW still internally ranks for new classes, and whether such a ranking only benefits the top scorers or also hurts people who barely pass.

Just curious, what kind of "real" pass/fail system does UTSW have? I know Baylor no longer lets internal rankings affect the Dean's Letter, except for the top 10% who get a special designation. I've been hearing conflicting reports on whether UTSW still internally ranks for new classes, and whether such a ranking only benefits the top scorers or also hurts people who barely pass.
We are constantly told that there is no internal ranking at all for the first year and a half. Someone on this thread said earlier that it's not true. However I'm a current student and I really don't think we are ranked at all. Just call admissions and ask if you'd like to be 100% sure.

I should clarify-if you are put on wait list for UTSW (meaning you ranked UTSW 1st, matched into your 2nd choice contingent on not matching into UTSW) and get off, you are allowed to choose if you'd like to accept the offer down the line in April. It is NOT set in stone. I am 100% sure of this as I helped guide pre meds at my university through the process/had this happen to multiple friends/talked with our undergraduate HPO/UTSW admissions etc. Rest assured I am not trying to mislead you.

It is true though, there is always a slim chance you could match, but that is fairly unlikely since admissions has directly spoken with us and told us that they do not plan to do so for very many (single digits to none). The grand majority of the remaining students in the class come in via the wait list.

Also can confirm that we are 100% pass fail for the first 1.5 years. So there is no internal ranking in pre clinical years. This is in contrast to programs with "high pass" or "satisfactory" ratings. (You will be ranked during clinical years though like all other medical schools in the country).

Does that mean January interviews are automatically on waitlist since they're done with pre matches now?

Does that mean January interviews are automatically on waitlist since they're done with pre matches now?

If you subtract the small match chance. Maybe the few people that match are later interviewees they really really liked? That's my guess.

Minus the few that might match yes. BUT about a 1/3rd of the class enters via the wait list so rest assured not matching is not the end of the world. If you want to be wait listed though you'll have to rank UTSW first.

Wow... thought I was going out of state (Texas) for sure until I interviewed here last week. Amazing school, the faculty obviously cares so much about the students. Everyone I talked to was really interesting and loved the school and their classmates. Ranking it as my #1 for sure

Hello everyone

This happened to me too - I think it just means they really wanted to interview you. I really wanted to apply to UTSW, but got extremely busy around the due date for the secondary, so I kind of just forgot about it - was really surprised and happy when I got an II anyways

Do we have to rank UTSW first to be considered for the waitlist? I thought we only needed to rank it higher than schools to which we've prematched. Is there something special about that first spot? Follow up question: can't we all just call TMDSAS and ask them these questions?? Surely someone there knows the match algorithm and the nuances of the match better than a bunch of us reading posts online.

Do we have to rank UTSW first to be considered for the waitlist? I thought we only needed to rank it higher than schools to which we've prematched. Is there something special about that first spot? Follow up question: can't we all just call TMDSAS and ask them these questions?? Surely someone there knows the match algorithm and the nuances of the match better than a bunch of us reading posts online.
No, any school can decide to offer you a place on a wait list after Feb 1, or not.

If UTSW is your top choice, put it there. Otherwise you drop off if you match to the higher ranked schools. Also, feel free to call but it's pretty straight forward and TMDSAS has a great outline of all rules on their site.

Last edited:
No, any school can decide to offer you a place on a wait list after Feb 1, or not.
No. Only the schools that you ranked higher than the one that you actually match to will put you on the waitlist. all others will be dropped. So, if you happen to match to the school you ranked 1, then that's the school you will be going to. So, your ultimate 1st choice must be ranked 1 just to be safe.

can someone attach a link to fb group for admitted students? i still havent gotten this link.

Financial aid package just came in the mail... almost entirely loans :eek: Did anyone (barring those who got the merit aid scholarships with the letter) get a better package or is that the norm?

Last edited:
Financial aid package just came in the mail... almost entirely loans :eek: Did anyone (barring those who got the merit aid scholarships with the letter) get a better package or is that the norm?
Mine was all loans with like a 1.5k grant. Got a little dizzy looking at it :unsure:

Got mine over the weekend. Around 2.5K scholarship/grant money and rest is loans. Jaw dropped a bit looking at that $40K but I'm just grateful that I got in lolol

@Doctor.Zoidberg @Naokuvi okay yep mine was pretty similar, about 2k in grants. Were your loans all Stafford/grad PLUS or were any of them other loans? My dad made me watch the financial aid presentation on their website (lol) awhile back and I remember there were some loans that had lower/deferred interest rates but I didn't see them. Feel free to PM (or not) if you don't wanna discuss financials in public haha

And yeah as jaw-dropping as the total is it's 1) so much less than a not TX school 2) still so exciting to be going to med school! Not having to panic for match tomorrow has been amazing lol

@Doctor.Zoidberg @Naokuvi okay yep mine was pretty similar, about 2k in grants. Were your loans all Stafford/grad PLUS or were any of them other loans? My dad made me watch the financial aid presentation on their website (lol) awhile back and I remember there were some loans that had lower/deferred interest rates but I didn't see them. Feel free to PM (or not) if you don't wanna discuss financials in public haha

And yeah as jaw-dropping as the total is it's 1) so much less than a not TX school 2) still so exciting to be going to med school! Not having to panic for match tomorrow has been amazing lol

I watched that financial video too before ranking UTSW #1 just to figure out what I would get into financially haha. I was hoping I would get some more grants since they said they front-load the grants but yeah Texas is so cheap compared to other states so I cant complain. Plus if I end up going primary care I know there are a lot of government and independent scholarships to apply for down the road.

So I got Stafford Unsubsidized as well as Grad Plus. From what I know, and from a presentation another medical school gave me during an interview, is that Stafford Unsubsidized is your low-interest student loans. The interest rates are deferred until around Winter time after you enter school so during your first-semester interest doesn't start accumulating yet. From then on, interest accumulates even while you are in school. Grad-Plus is a higher interest loan thats basically there as "just in case you need it" money. In addition, if you look at how UTSW estimates their cost-of-attendance they're pretty liberal on the costs for certain things. This is in your benefit as it means you can take up loans up to this "liberal cost" if needed. For example, transportation and personal expenses are around 8-9K. If you already have a car and plan to live really close to the school, I cant imagine transportation costs going this high and personal costs is obviously what you make of it. I also heard a lot of books are online, reducing the books and materials fee. However, the living costs is only estimated for the 9 month school-year versus a 12-month lease which I assume most people sign on for. Living costs vary but from what I've seen, a decent apartment around the Dallas area is around 1K-1.3K for a studio or single bed so, unless you're living in Med-Park and if you plan on living alone, I think it'll be around 13-15K/year for room/board after factoring in utilities. So using this info, take only as much as you need and take out more as you go on versus taking it all your loans out at once.

If anyone sees anything wrong with this post please clarify! I am only posting my very little knowledge on how financial aid and costs. Wishing I was a business pre-med instead of a science pre-med at the moment so I can understand all these finances lmaoo

I watched that financial video too before ranking UTSW #1 just to figure out what I would get into financially haha. I was hoping I would get some more grants since they said they front-load the grants but yeah Texas is so cheap compared to other states so I cant complain. Plus if I end up going primary care I know there are a lot of government and independent scholarships to apply for down the road.

So I got Stafford Unsubsidized as well as Grad Plus. From what I know, and from a presentation another medical school gave me during an interview, is that Stafford Unsubsidized is your low-interest student loans. The interest rates are deferred until around Winter time after you enter school so during your first-semester interest doesn't start accumulating yet. From then on, interest accumulates even while you are in school. Grad-Plus is a higher interest loan thats basically there as "just in case you need it" money. In addition, if you look at how UTSW estimates their cost-of-attendance they're pretty liberal on the costs for certain things. This is in your benefit as it means you can take up loans up to this "liberal cost" if needed. For example, transportation and personal expenses are around 8-9K. If you already have a car and plan to live really close to the school, I cant imagine transportation costs going this high and personal costs is obviously what you make of it. I also heard a lot of books are online, reducing the books and materials fee. However, the living costs is only estimated for the 9 month school-year versus a 12-month lease which I assume most people sign on for. Living costs vary but from what I've seen, a decent apartment around the Dallas area is around 1K-1.3K for a studio or single bed so, unless you're living in Med-Park and if you plan on living alone, I think it'll be around 13-15K/year for room/board after factoring in utilities. So using this info, take only as much as you need and take out more as you go on versus taking it all your loans out at once.

If anyone sees anything wrong with this post please clarify! I am only posting my very little knowledge on how financial aid and costs. Wishing I was a business pre-med instead of a science pre-med at the moment so I can understand all these finances lmaoo

No I think that's definitely right! I was also a little disappointed since I remembered the front loaded grant thing -- how much lower can it get? Haha. I don't really plan on taking the whole amount in loans -- I already have a car and I'll be living with my SO (though not somewhere as cheap as Med Park, our pets prohibit that lol) so I don't think I'll be anywhere close to the limit. Only thing is I also remember them saying if you don't take out all the loans, the next year they reduce the grants... I don't know. I might go visit the financial aid office after MS0 weekend to try and wrap my head around it a little better.

No I think that's definitely right! I was also a little disappointed since I remembered the front loaded grant thing -- how much lower can it get? Haha. I don't really plan on taking the whole amount in loans -- I already have a car and I'll be living with my SO (though not somewhere as cheap as Med Park, our pets prohibit that lol) so I don't think I'll be anywhere close to the limit. Only thing is I also remember them saying if you don't take out all the loans, the next year they reduce the grants... I don't know. I might go visit the financial aid office after MS0 weekend to try and wrap my head around it a little better.

They do the financial aid presentation during MS0 weekend! I'm attending since I attend university just 20 minutes away. I'm hoping we can get our answers there! Yeah, I don't think I'll be living in Med Park either since I didn't like campus-owned housing in undergrad and prefer to put some mental separation around me and the school versus being surrounded by it. So rent is going to be a tough one for me. Going to miss suburban apartment rent pricing!

They do the financial aid presentation during MS0 weekend! I'm attending since I attend university just 20 minutes away. I'm hoping we can get our answers there! Yeah, I don't think I'll be living in Med Park either since I didn't like campus-owned housing in undergrad and prefer to put some mental separation around me and the school versus being surrounded by it. So rent is going to be a tough one for me. Going to miss suburban apartment rent pricing!

I'm definitely going during MS0 weekend, but I also live <5 minutes from the school so I might go ask the office if the presentation doesn't help. :) As much as I like the pricing of Med Park, I definitely want to live a little further away from school in a more walkable neighborhood. The Medical District is not great.

Sounds like my package is the same or very similar to yalls. I also am not shooting for Med Park, due to having a dog. Hoping I can find somewhere with a fenced in yard where I can live year round but hey who knows. I'd like to avoid any higher interest loans...see y'all at MS0 weekend, I'll be the one who starts breathing abnormally fast when they talk about all this

Sounds like my package is the same or very similar to yalls. I also am not shooting for Med Park, due to having a dog. Hoping I can find somewhere with a fenced in yard where I can live year round but hey who knows. I'd like to avoid any higher interest loans...see y'all at MS0 weekend, I'll be the one who starts breathing abnormally fast when they talk about all this

There will be a presentation by the new financial aid director at 4:05PM on the 10th, so hang in there until then ;)
Most houses in the area have fenced yards, so if you find 1 or 2 roommates and a house to rent, you should be golden.

How will we be notified if we are on the waitlist?

My co-worker didn't match here but did match at UTHSCSA. I've heard different schools treat waitlists different. Does UTSW contact those who they waitlist or do you have to call and ask? We're at work trying to figure this out ha.

My co-worker didn't match here but did match at UTHSCSA. I've heard different schools treat waitlists different. Does UTSW contact those who they waitlist or do you have to call and ask? We're at work trying to figure this out ha.

They send an email.