2016-2017 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll be there on Saturday. Anyone else? @CoffeeismyATP - I'm already excited to meet you - you are clearly a kindred spirit/caffeine enthusiast.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Aaaand, if I might add....

Wrapped up session with the infamous apple cider and apple donuts.
OMG I FORGOT. I was so stuffed by the end I wanted to food coma

Members don't see this ad :)
Aaaand, if I might add....

Wrapped up session with the infamous apple cider and apple donuts.
This sounds like the most delicious interview ever!
OMG I FORGOT. I was so stuffed by the end I wanted to food coma
Maybe its a secret test to see how much self control applicants have :rofl:

This sounds like the most delicious interview ever!

Maybe its a secret test to see how much self control applicants have :rofl:
Well I failed the self control test and they still took me! :laugh:

I'll be there on Saturday. Anyone else? @CoffeeismyATP - I'm already excited to meet you - you are clearly a kindred spirit/caffeine enthusiast.
If you like coffee, check out onyx cafe downtown. I haven't been myself, but all my coffee snob friends loved it.

What is the grading at UVM? Is it strictly pass/fail, is there a high pass? Does it change through the four years? How is the class ranked? Is the accelerated curriculum due to taking the step 1 early a negative or a positive when thinking about getting a good step score?

What is the grading at UVM? Is it strictly pass/fail, is there a high pass? Does it change through the four years? How is the class ranked? Is the accelerated curriculum due to taking the step 1 early a negative or a positive when thinking about getting a good step score?
MSAR says pass/fail and unranked.

Students didn't seem to have a problem with the 1.5 year curriculum. Said it was structured in a way to give more than enough time to prepare (one student even said she had too much time). I guess it's pretty efficient. I don't think UVM's program is known for high test takers, whether it be the MCAT or STEP1. But since they have an excellent match list, their methodology doesn't seem to be an issue.

As many things are changing at UVM, so is the grading system. And from what I last heard, they are still not positive where it is going. We have honors/pass/marginal pass/fail for every class except the first year class who just has pass/fail. They may be transitioning to the more stratified system next semester or next year. We are not told our rankings.

That being said and all other things considered, UVM is very progressive and constantly changing things based on what the student body says and what other schools are doing/research is saying/residency programs are looking for. To some people that are flexible and enjoy change in the hopes that it will improve things, this is a positive. It should be considered, though, that things might be different by the time you attend and even during your time here. There are multiple policies that have changed in my years here and you just have to recognize that this is likely to keep occurring. I'm not sure how much this happens at other schools, but I do wish UVM was more transparent about this.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone that interviewed on 10/15 not heard back yet? :/

Has anyone that interviewed on 10/15 not heard back yet? :/

Me. Doesn't mean it's bad news, last year's thread had people from the same interview date being accepted a month apart. We'll prob hear tomorrow

Looks like another week with no news

You were 10/15 right? How'd you feel the MMI/other stuff went?

I thought I did okay. Not amazing but there weren't any awkward pauses and I think I gave good answers to most of them. But who knows. Still not sure how they decide when to make decisions on people from the same date.

I thought I did okay. Not amazing but there weren't any awkward pauses and I think I gave good answers to most of them. But who knows. Still not sure how they decide when to make decisions on people from the same date.

I'm in the same boat as you. I think the next week is the 8th week?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

They said before Christmas so I'm sure they'll at least honor that deadline. You guys should know soon!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what the typical week looks like for MS1's here? At a recent interview (different school), a current student mentioned that she's in class/lab M-F 9am-5pm... so I was curious if that's the case at Vermont too.
Thanks!!

Any recent II's? I feel like this thread hasn't seen movement since October

Reactions: 5 users
user-deleted said:
This semester, we start class at 8:00 and finish between 3:00 and 5:30, depending on the day. In the mornings, half of the class is dissecting, while the other half is either doing histology or working with standardized patients. In the afternoons, we're in lecture. (Well, some of us are in lecture... they podcast all of the lectures, so some of us spend the afternoons at home in our pajamas.)

That said, we'll be done with anatomy next week and I'm told that once we come back in January, we'll have mostly half-days :D

Thank you so much!

OMG JUST ACCEPTED NOW!! INTERVIEWED MID OCTOBER. There is hope

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted! ^^same interview!

Reactions: 6 users
ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!! Interviewed oct 15! I'm dying.
I'm a re-applicant and second time interviewing at UVM. It's my dream school!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Rejected...that rejection email has to have been the rudest email I've received from a medical school. I think I'm more surprised by the fact that a dean of a medical school thought that rejection email sounded okay than I am by the fact that I got rejected. Oh well. If I have to reapply next cycle I'll be taking this one off the list for sure

Rejected...that rejection email has to have been the rudest email I've received from a medical school. I think I'm more surprised by the fact that a dean of a medical school thought that rejection email sounded okay than I am by the fact that I got rejected. Oh well. If I have to reapply next cycle I'll be taking this one off the list for sure
Wow really?? What did it say?

Wow really?? What did it say?

It basically said that they suggest that I talk to a pre-med advisor or counselor to figure out what's wrong with my application so that I can take the steps to fix it. Not "you are a qualified applicant but we simply had more applicants than spots. This does not reflect on your qualifications" that other schools send. And just the wording of the email was very off-putting. Instead of calling it my application they called it a "request for admission" and pointed out how many students wanted to come to that school. After flying across the country and waiting 8 weeks for a decision because they can't figure out how to organize their admissions committee to send out decisions from the same interview date at the same time, I just got a super cold rejection email that inspired no hope for the rest of my cycle. Hopefully some of that Larner money can go to hiring a dean that has social awareness and realizes how stressful this whole process is. /rant

It basically said that they suggest that I talk to a pre-med advisor or counselor to figure out what's wrong with my application so that I can take the steps to fix it. Not "you are a qualified applicant but we simply had more applicants than spots. This does not reflect on your qualifications" that other schools send. And just the wording of the email was very off-putting. Instead of calling it my application they called it a "request for admission" and pointed out how many students wanted to come to that school. After flying across the country and waiting 8 weeks for a decision because they can't figure out how to organize their admissions committee to send out decisions from the same interview date at the same time, I just got a super cold rejection email that inspired no hope for the rest of my cycle. Hopefully some of that Larner money can go to hiring a dean that has social awareness and realizes how stressful this whole process is. /rant
Thus far, Boston has the nicest rejection letter, and New York Medical College is similar to Larner as you described it. I guess I've dated so many women, I consider a harsh rejection and a nice rejection the same - rejection. From there, I need to figure out how to be better next time, whether or not she said, "It's not you, it's me." :wtf:

Accepted!! I am beyond thrilled and will likely matriculate here next fall! Congrats to all that have heard and good luck to all those waiting! I was a re-applicant, so I know what it's like to wait a LONG time for this :)

Interviewed 10/19.

Reactions: 13 users
Accepted!! I am beyond thrilled and will likely matriculate here next fall! Congrats to all that have heard and good luck to all those waiting! I was a re-applicant, so I know what it's like to wait a LONG time for this :)

Interviewed 10/19.

Congrats and to everyone else accepted!!!

Wow, so they had interviews on 10/10, 10/15 and 10/19 as well?

Thus far, Boston has the nicest rejection letter, and New York Medical College is similar to Larner as you described it. I guess I've dated so many women, I consider a harsh rejection and a nice rejection the same - rejection. From there, I need to figure out how to be better next time, whether or not she said, "It's not you, it's me." :wtf:

but the thing is, it was always you. stop playing so much skyrim! talk to me. spend time with me. i need to be celebrated. i need to be more than someone you practice IV sticks on . . . . as erotic as that was.

For accepted students, did you just reply to the email to accept the offer? Or was there something on the portal that I missed...

For accepted students, did you just reply to the email to accept the offer? Or was there something on the portal that I missed...

I replied and then sent in my check

Can you copy/paste the body? I can't imagine UVM sending anything of the sort given how ridiculously nice the staff was.

This sounds devastating. I am sorry you had to go through this after having to wait an incredibly long time for this decision. 8 weeks+thanksgiving is a painfully long time to contemplate what might happen from here on out .

You are unmistakably a super qualified applicant, and you have worked so hard to get to this point. It doesn't seem fair for them to not acknowledge the hard work you've put into this process as well as not acknowledge the more specific reason for rejection post interview. Off-putting indeed, because it does not reflect the fact that you were interviewing for an acceptance, which suggests that your application is well qualified to begin with and that the reason for rejection had to do with other factors. Let me know what those other factors are after spending a fortune on this whole thing, right? Whether it be fit or simply the unusually competitive body of applicants interviewing that day. Any hint would be comforting and can provide closure. You deserve that much at least.

They advised you to speak to a pre-medical advisor, but I hope that meeting with the advisor will instead be a cause for a celebration at the end of the cycle. You deserve a crap ton of acceptances as well as any of us. It will not be at UVM, but you will go to a fantastic school. Keep fighting and stay awesome.

And you can always PM me if you need someone to talk to or vent about this stressful cycle.

Reactions: 16 users
This sounds devastating. I am sorry you had to go through this after having to wait an incredibly long time for this decision. 8 weeks+thanksgiving is a painfully long time to contemplate what might happen from here on out .

You are unmistakably a super qualified applicant, and you have worked so hard to get to this point. It doesn't seem fair for them to not acknowledge the hard work you've put into this process as well as not acknowledge the more specific reason for rejection post interview. Off-putting indeed, because it does not reflect the fact that you were interviewing for an acceptance, which suggests that your application is well qualified to begin with and that the reason for rejection had to do with other factors. Let me know what those other factors are after spending a fortune on this whole thing, right? Whether it be fit or simply the unusually competitive body of applicants interviewing that day. Any hint would be comforting and can provide closure. You deserve that much at least.

They advised you to speak to a pre-medical advisor, but I hope that meeting with the advisor will instead be a cause for a celebration at the end of the cycle. You deserve a crap ton of acceptances as well as any of us. It will not be at UVM, but you will go to a fantastic school. Keep fighting and stay awesome.

And you can always PM me if you need someone to talk to or vent about this stressful cycle.
Will you please be my therapist/friend?

Reactions: 14 users

Thank you so much, means a lot. You're right, it's still a long cycle. Best of luck to everyone else