2016-2017 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Usually mid-April, ahead of the matriculation deadline. Just get your documents in on time and then wait (seemingly) forever.
Lol yeah when trying to compare schools it seems crazy to wait until just before the decisions are made.

Members don't see this ad.

Lol yeah when trying to compare schools it seems crazy to wait until just before the decisions are made.

I do wish they'd get this out sooner. What are the chances of getting some kind of merit aid here anyway? Any current students know? 60,000 a year is expensive and Id like to cut into that any way possible before using loans, haha.

At least UVA doesn't wait until March to release decisions :) But don't worry, there's plenty of time to decide. I think the decision is fairly easy if you're deciding based on cost since you can figure out how much you're willing to pay beforehand for the schools you're looking at and then it's just a matter of aid meeting your needs or not once you get that info.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do wish they'd get this out sooner. What are the chances of getting some kind of merit aid here anyway? Any current students know? 60,000 a year is expensive and Id like to cut into that any way possible before using loans, haha.
There's merit and financial need-based aid, not sure what the split is between the two. I received fairly generous aid (at least in my opinion). Also considered cost of living in Charlottesville versus major cities. The tuition/expenses includes $1100/month for living expenses or something like that, but it's easy to be well below that if you want to be.

Reactions: 1 user
II today! OOS, LM ~ 75. Same day I got WL at Pitt, so definitely a sweet end to a bitter day.

Did you receive an email with this info? Or is it the same from previous years?
This was went as an email after I was accepted! Just a save the date email, so no times/locations/activities mentioned yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an email that all of my financial aid information was complete! But, that information will be available on April 30th, at the latest. One day before decision day :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed recently, and wow oh wow, the lunch :love:

Also, the school was really freaking nice, like mind blowingly beautiful

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an email that all of my financial aid information was complete! But, that information will be available on April 30th, at the latest. One day before decision day :(
Don't worry (repeat of what I said before) - the decision is fairly easy if you're deciding based on cost because you can figure out how much you're willing to pay beforehand for the schools you're looking at and then it's just a matter of aid meeting your needs or not once you get that information.

@unicorn416 do you know if there are any resources that can estimate of how much financial aid one can expect at uva based on parental income, etc?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Is there an email to send updates to?

@unicorn416 do you know if there are any resources that can estimate of how much financial aid one can expect at uva based on parental income, etc?
The financial aid website is pretty good. Also the financial aid staff are very nice, so don't be afraid to give them a call if you need help figuring out anything later on (such as calculating out the correct loan amount while factoring in the "fee" that's a fraction of the loan). If I remember correctly, need-based aid maxes out around 20K for in state and 25K for out of state, which can help you figure out the difference that you may need to borrow in federal loans.

Accepted via email
OOS

Reactions: 5 users
I received a financial aid package today, and I would say that the financial aid web site does a pretty accurate job of explaining the types of aid and how much you can expect. My package was exactly what I thought I would be able to get based on what was written on the web site, so I would say it's a good tool for planning if you're anxious about all the monies now.

Reactions: 3 users
I received a financial aid package today, and I would say that the financial aid web site does a pretty accurate job of explaining the types of aid and how much you can expect. My package was exactly what I thought I would be able to get based on what was written on the web site, so I would say it's a good tool for planning if you're anxious about all the monies now.
When was your app complete? (Financial aid app that is!)

I can second this. It was also a rather generous need-based offer, for those of you worried about the cost of UVA like I was.

Withdrawing my II today. Hope someone gets it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Withdrew my II today, good luck to you all!

My boyfriend and I were both accepted here! Never in a million years thought we had a chance of getting in the same school, let alone a school with such a great reputation that we both love! Will most likely be coming here and I can't wait to get started!

Reactions: 7 users
Hello all, a UVA M1 here.

I want to congratulate all of those who have been accepted and we look forward to having you! If anyone has any questions that hasn't been answered about the curriculum, extracurricular opportunities, Charlottesville, or Charlottesville beers etc, feel free to ask! I'll try to answer them as quick as possible.

Congrats again to those who have been accepted. For those who are on the WL, don't lose hope!

Reactions: 1 users
I can second this. It was also a rather generous need-based offer, for those of you worried about the cost of UVA like I was.

Did you receive the package by email, snail mail, or had to check SIS?

Hello all, a UVA M1 here.

I want to congratulate all of those who have been accepted and we look forward to having you! If anyone has any questions that hasn't been answered about the curriculum, extracurricular opportunities, Charlottesville, or Charlottesville beers etc, feel free to ask! I'll try to answer them as quick as possible.

Congrats again to those who have been accepted. For those who are on the WL, don't lose hope!

Hey, thanks for helping out. I do have a couple questions for you.

Are there any areas of Charlottesville you wouldn't recommend living in? Also, I've heard the parking situation at the hospital system is dire (and I've seen how expensive parking permits are!). Do you think living within walking/biking distance is a must, or are there decent options for commuters?

Financial aid app was complete yesterday and got my package today, talk about efficiency! And third what the others said - not a great package but pretty solid and exceeded my expectations.

Just curious does anyone know how much waitlist movement there is here?

Are there any areas of Charlottesville you wouldn't recommend living in? Also, I've heard the parking situation at the hospital system is dire (and I've seen how expensive parking permits are!). Do you think living within walking/biking distance is a must, or are there decent options for commuters?

There is a pretty good public transport system. The University transit system runs relatively frequently M-F, but can be hard to deal with holidays and weekends when you're in third and fourth year. The Charlottesville transit system is also free with your university badge, so if you live on one of those routes that links up the hospital, you shouldn't be too bad off.

Also, there is some limited parking on some of the streets surrounding the university that you can use, and free garage parking nights and weekends when you want to drive in to study.

The main areas where students live are the Flats apartment building, down 14th St./Madison Ave area, and Jefferson Park Ave. Basically all within walking distance and/or on the bus line. You don't really need to worry about parking near the hospital and med school unless you live far away. It's better to live somewhere that comes with a parking spot/driveway, especially after the first year and a half.

As others have mentioned, the transportation system is very convenient. However, there are some areas that I would recommend you stay away from, namely really far down 14th street (farther than Ashtree Apartments etc); some of these areas can get a little shady.

Anyone know when UVA stops sending out IIs or when the last interview date is?

Anyone know when UVA stops sending out IIs or when the last interview date is?
When I emailed and inquired, they said they will be interviewing until around March 1st (give or take a few days)

When I emailed and inquired, they said they will be interviewing until around March 1st (give or take a few days)
Yeah if you go earlier in the thread someone received a March 2nd (Thursday) interview, so I imagine that is the last date.