2016-2017 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I withdrew my acceptance here several days ago. hopefully that's good news for someone on the alternate's list! :)

Were you OOR?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Were you OOR?

No, in-state actually. UW has an amazing medical program, but after a really long discussion with my mentors and my parents, I just realized it wasn't a good fit for me for various reasons.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Idaho Alternate #1 accepted by phone call this morning! This has been a hard year as a reapplicant, but I'm beyond grateful and am excitedly looking forward to the opportunity and meeting my Idaho friends later in the year!

Reactions: 11 users
Idaho Alternate #1 accepted by phone call this morning! This has been a hard year as a reapplicant, but I'm beyond grateful and am excitedly looking forward to the opportunity and meeting my Idaho friends later in the year!

Congrats! Super happy for you :)

And as for the rest of us Idaho alternates: One down, an undisclosed number to go...

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone, I can use some advice here. I am torn between UWSOM and UCSD. Both amazing institutions and I would be happy at either of them.

At UWSOM I'd be paying OOR tuition. At UCSD, I'll be instate and would rack on much less debt. I know at the end both will give me the MD but and I'll be able to pay off the debt - not a problem. What I'm hoping to gain insight on is whether it'll be worth going to UWSOM and pay OOR tuition over going to UCSD. Is UWSOM so amazing that you would? Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Another thing to consider is average board scores, maybe to get a sense of which program best prepares students.

Reactions: 1 user
The link for the UWSOM E-2017 now reflects the name (instead of 2021), so there isn't any confusion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/UWSOME2017/

I will later change the name of the Group to UWSOM-E2017 (Seattle), after site placements are out.

I would suggest keeping that group as is and making a separate group for Seattle. That way your whole class (WWAMI + Seattle) has a way of communicating with each other and the Seattle Cohort has a means of talking to each other without involving the whole class. :)

I would suggest keeping that group as is and making a separate group for Seattle. That way your whole class (WWAMI + Seattle) has a way of communicating with each other and the Seattle Cohort has a means of talking to each other without involving the whole class. :)

That's what we did my year and it helped out a ton. I highly recommend a separate Seattle group.

Yeah can the Facebook group name be changed back to just UWSOM and then separate foundations site pages made?? There are a lot of Spokane and even a couple Idaho people in the big group and now it's called Seattle. I think there should be a big group for overall UWSOM business, merch orders, and it'll be useful once we start doing rotations and aren't separate

Does anyone know if the waitlist includes all regions? UWSOM lists that they take around 30-35 off the waitlist every year, so if I am for example #29 in WA but the number they take is on all regions I wouldn't get in because they take 15 from OOR and 25 from WA, so they take 40 but only get to #25 in WA. Any clarification would be great. Hope this isn't too convoluted.

Does anyone know if the waitlist includes all regions? UWSOM lists that they take around 30-35 off the waitlist every year, so if I am for example #29 in WA but the number they take is on all regions I wouldn't get in because they take 15 from OOR and 25 from WA, so they take 40 but only get to #25 in WA. Any clarification would be great. Hope this isn't too convoluted.

The WA/OOR waitlist are pooled together; the other states have their own lists. So last year, 31 individuals in the WA/OOR group were accepted. 31 accepted does not mean that the 31st acceptance was wait list individual #31. It might've been wait list individual #41, after 10 people on the WL declined to attend.

I'm rooting for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah can the Facebook group name be changed back to just UWSOM and then separate foundations site pages made?? There are a lot of Spokane and even a couple Idaho people in the big group and now it's called Seattle. I think there should be a big group for overall UWSOM business, merch orders, and it'll be useful once we start doing rotations and aren't separate
Done!

The WA/OOR waitlist are pooled together; the other states have their own lists. So last year, 31 individuals in the WA/OOR group were accepted. 31 accepted does not mean that the 31st acceptance was wait list individual #31. It might've been wait list individual #41, after 10 people on the WL declined to attend.

I'm rooting for you!

I think it works a little differently than you mentioned. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Last year 31 acceptances on waitlists were offered. That means #32 missed out. It could also mean only one person matriculated off waitlist after 30 people in front of them declined the offer. Either way, waitlists have run pretty deep, well into the 40s, in the past, so fingers crossed.

I'm rooting for you!

Would like confirmation on this as well if anyone knows. And last year 32 were accepted off the WA/OOR WL, per the official UW alternate page.

Would like confirmation on this as well if anyone knows. And last year 32 were accepted off the WA/OOR WL, per the official UW alternate page.

That's how I interpreted Babs' previous post on page 28. I'm sure he could clarify the process.

Have any accepted students received their financial aid awards or know when we should expect to receive news on this? Thanks!

I interpreted Babs response the same as WillianIAm - the number listed is the number of invites off the waitlist they extended, not the number accepted/matriculated.
But I guess (not sure and am DEFINITELY overthinking) that the alternate number could go higher if someone lower left the alternate list prior to acceptance.
For example, Last year 32 alternates were offered. But if alternate #s 20, 21 & 22 dropped off prior to being accepted for any reason, they would extend up to #35.

I interpreted Babs response the same as WillianIAm - the number listed is the number of invites off the waitlist they extended, not the number accepted/matriculated.
But I guess (not sure and am DEFINITELY overthinking) that the alternate number could go higher if someone lower left the alternate list prior to acceptance.
For example, Last year 32 alternates were offered. But if alternate #s 20, 21 & 22 dropped off prior to being accepted for any reason, they would extend up to #35.

The number listed is what alternate number they ultimately accepted. Your number will never decrease. The number they list they have currently accepted will only increase.

So if you are number 5, you will always be #5. Even if number #4 withdraws before being offered something, you would stay #5. However, if #3 is accepted and then they offer another acceptance, the listed alternate accepted number will increase to #5. You will have no way of knowing if they accepted 2 people or if it was only one acceptance with one person denying their offer.

Thanks for the clarification. So those of us on the WL with numbers lower than 29 have a pretty good shot at getting accepted? Good news!

Edited because autocorrect just doesn't get me.

Last edited:
This question is mostly directed to current students at UWSOM:

Do you guys have advice regarding the utility of having a tablet computer while attending UWSOM? My understanding is that relatively few (if any) students purchase physical textbooks at this point. Are most study materials tablet-friendly? Does it matter windows vs. apple at this point? Did you use a tablet and find it useful? Why?

This may seem foolish, but I've never owned a tablet and am hoping to gather info before making a relatively expensive purchase. Any advice would be appreciated!

This question is mostly directed to current students at UWSOM:

Do you guys have advice regarding the utility of having a tablet computer while attending UWSOM? My understanding is that relatively few (if any) students purchase physical textbooks at this point. Are most study materials tablet-friendly? Does it matter windows vs. apple at this point? Did you use a tablet and find it useful? Why?

This may seem foolish, but I've never owned a tablet and am hoping to gather info before making a relatively expensive purchase. Any advice would be appreciated!

Most of the medical students are switching to the surface. I highly recommend it since you don't need to worry about apps, comparability, etc.

Did anyone else get their financial aid package today? They gave me like 17,000 below the COA and no grad plus money? I'm a bit confused...

Did anyone else get their financial aid package today? They gave me like 17,000 below the COA and no grad plus money? I'm a bit confused...
I remember during the interview they said to just contact the financial aid office if you needed more.

This is what the first years were told in an email: "Graduate Plus loans were not added to the awards yet as we do not know the actual tuition yet for 2017-2018. They will be added at a later date."

You will also likely need to re-file your FAFSA with a predicted income of $0 if you've been working during the previous year.

Thanks for the info! Was seriously confused there for a bit

This is what the first years were told in an email: "Graduate Plus loans were not added to the awards yet as we do not know the actual tuition yet for 2017-2018. They will be added at a later date."

You will also likely need to re-file your FAFSA with a predicted income of $0 if you've been working during the previous year.

Just to clarify - no one has gotten an application for the SOM scholarship yet right? I turned in my FAFSA in October so I should be eligible but I don't wanna miss it. And that is a loan correct? Or is it a grant? I might just call them today but if anyone knows off the top of their head

Just to clarify - no one has gotten an application for the SOM scholarship yet right? I turned in my FAFSA in October so I should be eligible but I don't wanna miss it. And that is a loan correct? Or is it a grant? I might just call them today but if anyone knows off the top of their head
I emailed them today just about that. I did my FAFSA on Nov, and was waiting for the application to open n Feb, but the link still doesn't work. The deadline (May 31st) is coming up soon.

Did anyone get any tuition exemption? I'm not sure what that is.

Last edited:
I emailed them today just about that. I did my FAFSA on Nov, and was waiting for the application to open n Feb, but the link still doesn't work. The deadline (May 31st) is coming up soon.
During second look they mentioned it should open in early April, so should be any day now...

Did anyone get any tuition exemption? I'm not sure what that is.
Are you OOR? I think that's how they designate OOR students getting in-region tuition.

During second look they mentioned it should open in early April, so should be any day now...

Are you OOR? I think that's how they designate OOR students getting in-region tuition.

I'm not. I'm in-state. I'm pretty sure @Whyamionhere is in-state too.
Also thanks for that info, I couldn't attend the second look.

Called and clarified - the "tuition exemption" is their grant given by the state, and is based on your income and contributions. So, need based grant.

That's weird. I'm in-state with an EFC of 0 on my FAFSA and I didn't get anything called a tuition exemption (and my FAFSA was submitted before the priority deadline). What was the amount of the exemption, if you're comfortable sharing? I did receive a 9k "graduate university grant." If your tuition exemption is for the same amount, and you don't have that grant, maybe they're pushing different funding sources around to add up to the same amount of need-based aid.

That's weird. I'm in-state with an EFC of 0 on my FAFSA and I didn't get anything called a tuition exemption (and my FAFSA was submitted before the priority deadline). What was the amount of the exemption, if you're comfortable sharing? I did receive a 9k "graduate university grant." If your tuition exemption is for the same amount, and you don't have that grant, maybe they're pushing different funding sources around to add up to the same amount of need-based aid.
Hi - that is the same thing! I'm not sure why one is called the grant and one the tuition exemption but they are both need based and mine was the same amount. Very confusing that they had slightly different names - mine was "UW grad tuition exemption"

I did a quick Google search and found a pdf of a brochure for the med school that had this phrase:

"Washington residents who apply on time will be considered for Graduate University Grant or Graduate Tuition Exemption."

Also on the financial aid award page, there's a link to printing your award and "shopping sheet." The shopping sheet breaks down grants into a few categories; my grant is listed under "Grants and scholarships from your school", whereas another category called "Grants from your state" is 0. I assume yours will be the opposite, based on what they told you over the phone.

So yeah, seems to be two different funding sources to accomplish the same thing.

Mine was actually listed in the same spot - grants from your school, which makes it even more confusing why they have different names, but seems like they achieve the exact same ends for sure. Confusing but I'm just happy to at least be receiving a little financial help

@kvallian @Whyamionhere Many in-state WA students will receive 9k from the state. It's free money - you don't have to do anything extra to apply for it (just the FAFSA). It is need based, but I think the threshold is fairly low. If you get the 9k and are applying for the SOM scholarship, you can get potentially get an additional 1k from the SOM. You can do this every year.

Does anyone know when we can expect to start seeing movement on the waitlist?

Does anyone know when we can expect to start seeing movement on the waitlist?
Last year, the first WA applicant was accepted off the alternate list on April 13.
Spreadsheet can be found here (remove space after "docs", I hate that the spreadsheet gets automatically embedded):
https://docs .google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vauZks6ASrzUERwQAsDa7cxOgK25n0Pf8ZAZNYUhDco/edit#gid=0

Hello! Any thoughts on when we might get our foundation site assignments?
I think most people have received theirs by now. Maybe check to see if you missed an email or if it went to spam? The email should be entitled "Foundations Site Match" and if you did receive it but it got lost in your email inbox, it can also be viewed in your application portal under Status --> Communication Status.

This wait... Yeesh. I'm checking the portal for updates way too frequently... :p

Hey all, I still haven't received my login information and it's been a month since I accepted the offer. Should I contact them or has this been the norm?

Thanks!

Hey all, I still haven't received my login information and it's been a month since I accepted the offer. Should I contact them or has this been the norm?

Thanks!
If you mean the ECA, mine took around 9 or 10 weeks. Even though the website says 2-3 weeks, they said the longer waits just happen sometimes. Your enrollment info bounces between the SOM Student Affairs office and several offices in the main university before coming back to the SOM, so there are a few places where there can be delays.

If you mean the ECA, mine took around 9 or 10 weeks. Even though the website says 2-3 weeks, they said the longer waits just happen sometimes. Your enrollment info bounces between the SOM Student Affairs office and several offices in the main university before coming back to the SOM, so there are a few places where there can be delays.
Lovely. Thanks for the info!