2016-2017 Wake Forest University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the challenge question, did you all write about more than one challenge, because they mention it in plural?
You are over thinking this. Just keep it short (<400 words) and to the point.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am a little late to the process due to some untimely family events. Would I be at a severe disadvantage if I sent in my primary to Wake tonight/tomorrow and pre-wrote the secondary so it is ready to be submitted as soon as I receive it?

I just got the secondary app today. It states they accept two letters, and one must be from science faculty. Is that an absolute rule? Because I wanted to send in one more letter. My science letter is average, but my other two letters are excellent, I believe. So it would be unfortunate to not include both of them, while having to include the other average letter. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 on just getting the secondary app today. Was wondering if there was a screen we had to pass to get it?

My friend got an II here a few weeks ago (LizzyM 68). My stats are better, but I haven't heard anything (LizzyM 74). I feel like everyone I'm competing against this cycle is a former Olympian, a Peace Corps Volunteer, or a veteran. What does it take?!

Reactions: 2 users
My friend got an II here a few weeks ago (LizzyM 68). My stats are better, but I haven't heard anything (LizzyM 74). I feel like everyone I'm competing against this cycle is a former Olympian, a Peace Corps Volunteer, or a veteran. What does it take?!
It's August

Reactions: 4 users
It's August
That doesn't mean it's less worrisome to see people with lower stats than you get interviews first. It just adds to the inherent anxiety of this process. And this is my favorite school, so yeah, there's a bit of neuroticism.

That doesn't mean it's less worrisome to see people with lower stats than you get interviews first. It just adds to the inherent anxiety of this process. And this is my favorite school, so yeah, there's a bit of neuroticism.

Well stats aren't everything. I am sure you know that and I am assuming your friend had something special.

The interviews will certainly come for you, providing everything else looks good :).

Just got a secondary with a LizzyM of 58...I'm guessing this is a very light screen? lol

just got a secondary

can anyone comment on the student life here? I've never been to NC but i really like the school's mission

Just got the "complete" status email. Submitted 8/12. :wideyed:

It seems like Wednesdays are the magic day of the week for secondaries or updates from them. Gonna call them Wake Forest Wednesdays! lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received! OOS applicant, verified on 6/9. Best of luck everyone!

Prompts:
Required Essay Questions (Pick at least two):

1. The Committee on Admissions values diversity as an important factor in the educational mission of the Wake Forest School of Medicine. How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and to the medical community in general? (400 words or less).
2. What obstacles or challenges have you experienced and how have you dealt with them (400 words or less)?
3. How has creativity helped you in your studies, work, activities, volunteering, or life in general? (400 words or less)
4. Starting with the 2016-17 application cycle, the Wake Forest School of Medicine has gone from course requirements to recommendations. How has your academic work beyond the "traditional" pre-medical school requirements (i.e., introductory biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, introductory physics) prepared you for medical school and for a career in medicine. (400 words or less)

OPTIONAL ESSAYS

1. If you have already received your bachelor's degree, please describe what you have been doing since graduation and your plans for the upcoming year (200 words or less).
2. If you have previously applied to Wake Forest School of Medicine MD program, please describe if you have made any significant changes or improvements from your previous application (200 words or less).
3. Describe any connection you have to Wake Forest School of Medicine, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, or North Carolina (200 words or less).

aren't we required to answer all 4 of the required essay questions? my secondary doesn't say "pick at least two"

I'm pretty confident Wake is one of schools that screens their primaries, at least more so than the (24/3.0) screening benchmark some of the schools consider a "screening". I honestly wish more schools did screen like Wake does, but there is also the argument that some applicants need to be more realistic about where they apply if the secondary fees and time involvement doing said secondaries is a concern.

tl;dr... Congrats on the secondary man. Sadly I just got verified by AMCAS today so I hope to hear from Wake here soon myself. Best of luck to you.

Thank you! They sent me an e-mail that they received my primary on Aug 16 and got the secondary exactly a week after. Hope you get yours soon!

Just curious, does the school send verification to you after submitting secondary? I submitted my secondary on the 16th and haven't heard anything since.

Just curious, does the school send verification to you after submitting secondary? I submitted my secondary on the 16th and haven't heard anything since.

Yes it take's a few weeks though. Idk if there is a "submitted" email, but there is a complete email

Does anyone know how wake considers multiple mcat scores? My highest/recent is a 504 (28 on old scale) but I have lots of research experience and I think I would really fit their mission

I got the secondary invite but im not sure how thorough the screen was

So sometime early last week - around Tuesday or so - my application status changed from Under Review to something that said "Your application has been reviewed and will be notified via email of your status." I just tried accessing the application status link and it won't let me go through to see it again.
It almost sounds as if I've been rejected pre-secondary, but I was wondering if I'll get the said email soon(?)

Does Wake Forest not email a receipt for payment or confirmation of application completion? I paid and submitted my secondary two days ago and haven't gotten anything from them.

Does Wake Forest not email a receipt for payment or confirmation of application completion? I paid and submitted my secondary two days ago and haven't gotten anything from them.

You'll get a complete email. I got mine ~5 days after I submitted my secondary.

If you have previously applied to Wake Forest School of Medicine MD program, please describe if you have made any significant changes or improvements from your previous application

can anyone confirm is this question is strictly for being a reapplicant at their school? I'm a reapplicant at some schools but not wake so im not sure if i should be answering this question

If you have previously applied to Wake Forest School of Medicine MD program, please describe if you have made any significant changes or improvements from your previous application

can anyone confirm is this question is strictly for being a reapplicant at their school? I'm a reapplicant at some schools but not wake so im not sure if i should be answering this question

I'm also a reapplicant at schools other than Wake Forest, and I didn't answer this question. I've had other secondaries phrase it like "If you have previously applied to medical school..." so I figured this question was asking specifically about Wake Forest.

Last edited:
I'm also a reapplicant at schools other than Wake Forest, and I didn't answer this question. I've had other secondaries phrase it like "If you have previously applied to medical school..." so I figured this question was asking specifically about Wake Forest.

yea i agree, they would have asked the "general reapplicant question" after this one like loyola if they wanted to know

Can anyone tell me the latest MCAT test date Wake Forest will accept for this cycle? I couldn't find this info on their web page.. Thanks!:)

Can anyone tell me the latest MCAT test date Wake Forest will accept for this cycle? I couldn't find this info on their web page.. Thanks!:)
According to MSAR, April 1, 2013

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you!! I still have to take the exam and I was wondering if I could take it in January and still be considered for admissions?
My bad, totally misunderstood your first post! According to MSAR, the latest date they'll accept for the MCAT is September 10, 2016.

My bad, totally misunderstood your first post! According to MSAR, the latest date they'll accept for the MCAT is September 10, 2016.
Thank you!! Maybe I should get that MSAR lol

II this afternoon!

Found out right before an MMI and went in there like a bad boy:cool:

Reactions: 7 users
II this afternoon!

Who rejected you doctor bob?? I will send them a letter and tell them to reconsider because they seem to be an outlier

Reactions: 3 users
II this afternoon!

and to think people pooped on your WAMC. LOL! i'm so impressed wtih you, doctor bob. (i swear i'm not a stalker, we are just kind of paralleling on our sdn journeys so i remember your thread)

but also, like hella jealous ;)

Just curious as to how long it took some of y'all to receive the Wake secondary after submitting? I was verified and sent my primary last Monday but have yet to receive a secondary or even a verification email. I don't want to call them and be annoying, but tomorrow will have been 9 days and I didn't know how much longer I should wait without contacting them.

I just added it last Sunday and got it like a few hours ago.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone here who submitted their secondary after 8/16 received a "completion" email yet? Getting a little worried that I haven't heard back yet.

Has anyone here who submitted their secondary after 8/16 received a "completion" email yet? Getting a little worried that I haven't heard back yet.

It took a month for me to get this secondary after they received my primary. Patience.

and to think people pooped on your WAMC. LOL! i'm so impressed wtih you, doctor bob. (i swear i'm not a stalker, we are just kind of paralleling on our sdn journeys so i remember your thread)

but also, like hella jealous ;)
Yes..a few people were pretty discouraging w some ppl going as far as saying zero chance for MD. Thats why i forbid my sister who's also a premed from using SDN until her application..lol

Reactions: 3 users
It took a month for me to get this secondary after they received my primary. Patience.

I am talking about after complete in the secondary. It took a day to receive the secondary for me.

I am talking about after complete in the secondary. It took a day to receive the secondary for me.
everyone relax. its been said by an adcom of wake that wake forest's screen is mild, but they send secondaries in batches. they specifically said not to read into how long it took to get a secondary. i was verified super early, and technically it took a month to receive my secondary. but i got one on one of the first days they sent out secondaries. its all random, and doesn't say you're awesome or not awesome if you get one quickly or slowly. just pre-write and turn it around super quick once you get one.