2017-2018 Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just interviewed here today.

We were told that they receive 11,000 applications and interview about 1,000 applicants. Of the 1,000 interviewed students, approximately 400 are accepted for about 120 spots.
Thanks for sharing the info! Did you happen to get any other info about when interview batches or application rejections are decided (is it monthly, every week, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for sharing the info! Did you happen to get any other info about when interview batches or application rejections are decided (is it monthly, every week, etc.)?

All those interviewed between September and December are decided on in a mid-December meeting where all ~50 adcom members discuss all of those interviewed. Three possible outcomes: acceptance, rejection, or deferred to second adcom meeting which takes place in mid March. These decisions are made available sometime in mid January.

All those interviewed between January and March are decided on in a mid-March meeting (which also includes all deferred applicants from mid-December meeting). Three possible outcomes: acceptance, rejection, waitlist. Decisions made available by end of March or early April.

We were told that they receive 11,000 applications and interview about 1,000 applicants. Of the 1,000 interviewed students, approximately 400 are accepted for about 120 spots.
how many people were in your group today? just curious

Members don't see this ad :)

I think they're actually going to be closer to 12,000 this year. Nearly every school I've applied or interviewed at has gone up in applications. At my interview I heard between 1,000 - 1100 interview invites and less than 400 for acceptances since their over-accepted last year.

I think they're actually going to be closer to 12,000 this year. Nearly every school I've applied or interviewed at has gone up in applications. At my interview I heard between 1,000 - 1100 interview invites and less than 400 for acceptances since their over-accepted last year.
well somebody is lying lol

well somebody is lying lol

I interviewed first so I’m right!!!!

Honestly after a couple of interviews you realize adcomms are not the most reliable narrators. They get the specifics wrong from time to time.

What we know with 100% certainty is:

They interview 1000+ people

There are 120 seats in the class

They are admitting less people this year than in the past.

Rest is filler.

I interviewed first so I’m right!!!!

Honestly after a couple of interviews you realize adcomms are not the most reliable narrators. They get the specifics wrong from time to time.

What we know with 100% certainty is:

They interview 1000+ people

There are 120 seats in the class

They are admitting less people this year than in the past.

Rest is filler.
yeah at my interview they said they were interviewing 900-1000 but eh who knows in the end its a black box to us on the outside.

Interesting, I heard around 280-300 students accepted when I interviewed in September. Definitely not complaining if they accept more people :)

Reactions: 1 users
Completed Aug 28 and nothing yet!! I'm hoping no news is still good news! still hoping for the best!! :clap:

Reactions: 4 users
Those who sent thank you notes to your interviewer, did you just look up their email and send it directly? Also how long did you wait to email them?

Unless they gave your their email, I probably wouldn't look it up. You can upload thank you letters on the BU portal, there is a drop down option for that. But I prefer hand written notes. My interviewer had his office address on his Bio sheet so I sent one there, but you could probably also send one to the admissions office with the interviewer's name on it. I try to get my thank you's our within a week.

Has anyone noticed how long approx it takes from being "complete and under review" to getting a decision? although knowing #TheProcess it is probably random..

Has anyone noticed how long approx it takes from being "complete and under review" to getting a decision? although knowing #TheProcess it is probably random..
If you mean getting an admissions decision (A/W/R), they informed us during the interview day that decisions would occur in mid-to-late January.
If you mean getting an II, my n=1 interval from application complete and under review to interview invitation was a few weeks (July to August).
Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yah, got gracefully rejected by BU. Complete on 08/22.

Rejected from here this afternoon. Complete late August.

Rejected as well, 4.0 GPA, 519 MCAT, 2 First-author publications. Pretty disappointed.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an email saying they have a ton of applicants this year and they're behind, so they can't make a decision on my application yet. Guess that's better than an R :shrug: Complete early August

Just got an email saying they have a ton of applicants this year and they're behind, so they can't make a decision on my application yet. Guess that's better than an R :shrug: Complete early August

I wish you get good news from them soon!!

Last edited:

It is better than a rejection, you're still in the running :)... When were you complete?
I was complete last week of Aug and haven't heard anything yet

+1, complete late July

Got the big R today (completed mid August)

Last edited:
Was just rejected as well. Complete 8/28, LM 74.4, OOS

Best of luck to everyone else.

Rejected today, complete 9/11, well kind of was expecting it

+1 on the rejection.
Kinda was expecting it at this point, but still sucks.
Best of luck to everyone else still in the running!

REJECTED this morning pre II. OOS. LM 72-74. Complete email received sept 1. Was really hoping for some love from this school because my sister lives in Boston. Oh well.

Did any of you get that email last week about them being behind and apologizing for the delay?
Rejected today, complete 9/11, well kind of was expecting it

Rejected, complete 9/5; OOS 75 LM

Oh well

+1 on the rejection.
Kinda was expecting it at this point, but still sucks.
Best of luck to everyone else still in the running!

+2 Rejeeeected

REJECTED this morning pre II. OOS. LM 72-74. Complete email received sept 1. Was really hoping for some love from this school because my sister lives in Boston. Oh well.

Rejected and this one really hurts. Complete 9/14. LM ~75.

I'm so sorry to hear about the rejections :/ i was complete around the same time as you guys and am expecting the same

Does anyone know if BU offers feedback post-rejection?

Reactions: 1 users
Interview Invite this morning. BU is one of my dream schools!

Reactions: 2 users