2017-2018 Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with rest of your applications. I am prepared for a rejection from Boston.

Just wondering whether anyone received II recently?

I received an II today - complete mid August

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Completely new to SDN in terms of posting things, but I read threads daily to see school activities so I thought I should do my part :D
Rejected yesterday via email 11:29AM ET, complete 8/15. Honestly thought schools forgot about me cuz I hadn't gotten any sort of responses, so actually not super bummed.

Withdrawing post-II! Good luck to everyone :)

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know if BU will review your application with you post-rejection?

Anyone complete in July still in silence?

Reactions: 1 user
II! Complete 8/7, LizzyM 81.9
I was literally shook when I checked the portal 'cause BU is one of my top choices!!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone have an idea about post II acceptance here. I know that the U.S. news and world report says about 60%, but at my interview Dean Witzburg said they would only accept 280 for a class of 220, putting the acceptance around 30%. It seems that there is a major discrepancy here and also 220/280 is a really high yield for any school. Does anyone have a better understanding of this, maybe I heard him wrong?

It's 280 acceptances for 120 spots. Even though the class size is 180 only 120 spots are available. He made it seem like the post-interview acceptance rate was around 25% since they accept 280 and interview over 1000.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok that makes more sense but still where is us news and world report getting 60% from?

ok that makes more sense but still where is us news and world report getting 60% from?

I think US News gets info straight from the schools, which may or may not be accurate. For example, they show that SLU has a 100% post-interview acceptance rate, which is also not true because people have been waitlisted post-interview there. For what it's worth, I remember the post-interview acceptance numbers being around 40% at BU when I interviewed there, but Dean Witzburg wasn't there that day. :shrug:

ok my understanding of US news and world report is that it includes all acceptances even those off the waitlist, so that may explain the SLU thing. But Dean Witzburg specifically said they keep a short waitlist at BU so i don't know. Who said it was 40% someone else in admissions?

Anyone complete on 08/18 and still waiting to hear back?

Reactions: 1 users
What did everyone who interviewed do for thank you notes? I have been sending hand written ones to the admissions office with my interviewer's name on them. I think that it is more personalized than emailing/uploading a letter but if BU likes to track all communication I don't want them to get annoyed by a handwritten letter. Do you think I should just upload one to be safe?

Anyone complete on 08/18 and still waiting to hear back?

If you haven't gotten rejected yet, you are still in the running, BU interviews 1/3 of applicants in jan/ feb. Also I was complete 8/5 and got my II only about 2.5 weeks ago. BU also doesn't give a ton of warning my interview was last week.

If you haven't gotten rejected yet, you are still in the running, BU interviews 1/3 of applicants in jan/ feb. Also I was complete 8/5 and got my II only about 2.5 weeks ago. BU also doesn't give a ton of warning my interview was last week.

Awesome, thank you! Really hoping for a II here!!

What did everyone who interviewed do for thank you notes? I have been sending hand written ones to the admissions office with my interviewer's name on them. I think that it is more personalized than emailing/uploading a letter but if BU likes to track all communication I don't want them to get annoyed by a handwritten letter. Do you think I should just upload one to be safe?
I just emailed my interviewer directly.

I just emailed my interviewer directly.
Did your interviewer include their email in the info sheet they gave you or did you look it up. Mine didn't list his email so I am hesitant to email him directly.

Did your interviewer include their email in the info sheet they gave you or did you look it up. Mine didn't list his email so I am hesitant to email him directly.
My interviewer gave me his business card and invited me to ask him questions at any point in the cycle. Unless you explicitly get contact information in that manner, it would seem weird to email out of nowhere. But keep in mind, thank you letters mostly do not affect your chances of admission. Your interviewer usually writes up a summary of the interview experience the minute you leave the room or when interviews are over on that day. A thank you letter, which usually comes days after, usually does not change how you're presented to adcom.

Rejected Pre II on 10/23. Was complete 8/10. Good Luck everybody!

My interviewer gave me his business card and invited me to ask him questions at any point in the cycle. Unless you explicitly get contact information in that manner, it would seem weird to email out of nowhere. But keep in mind, thank you letters mostly do not affect your chances of admission. Your interviewer usually writes up a summary of the interview experience the minute you leave the room or when interviews are over on that day. A thank you letter, which usually comes days after, usually does not change how you're presented to adcom.
thanks, yes I know but they do volunteer their time so I think it is nice to acknowledge that

ok my understanding of US news and world report is that it includes all acceptances even those off the waitlist, so that may explain the SLU thing. But Dean Witzburg specifically said they keep a short waitlist at BU so i don't know. Who said it was 40% someone else in admissions?

The reason the post-II acceptance rate this year is around 30% is because they have over accepted in the past 2-3 years. They are interviewing and accepting significantly less people this year. That is why there is a discrepancy. So basically BU has become even more competitive than it already was. At most they will accept 300 people but it will be closer to 280-290 for about 120 spots (the other 50 spots are reserved for their pipeline programs).

I always ask my interviewers for their contact info before I leave the room. You could try looking them up.

Wow!! Congratulations!! BU reached out to you this early in the morning?

Thanks a bunch! No, actually I'm abroad many time zones ahead :p. They reached out to me on Oct. 27 around 10 AM EST. It just took me a while to figure out when I could interview. The choice was easy when I finally schedule it, because there was only one date left :D

Thanks a bunch! No, actually I'm abroad many time zones ahead :p. They reached out to me on Oct. 27 around 10 AM EST. It just took me a while to figure out when I could interview. The choice was easy when I finally schedule it, because there was only one date left :D

Hahaha, that is awesome :) Congratulations!!

II! Complete 9/19 LM 70

Reactions: 5 users
Just got rejected pre-II

Two rejections on the same day sucks

Just got rejected pre-II

Two rejections on the same day sucks

Oh :( I am so sorry!! I wish you the best of luck with the rest of the application process!

I was complete on 8/22 and am scared to open my application portal.

Oh :( I am so sorry!! I wish you the best of luck with the rest of the application process!

I was complete on 8/22 and am scared to open my application portal.

Thanks wish you the best this cycle as well. I saw my rejection by email.

Rejected LizzyM 82 lol didn't matter because I got in somewhere I prefer over BU, but who doesn't feel a little sting receiving the R-bomb?

Urghhh, I'm so sorry :( However, I am glad you got in where you wanted to get in :D

When were you guys complete?

I was complete sept 1 but haven't heard anything. I was wondering if this means I'm in question to get rejected or not. I've been seekng ppl complete 2+ weeks after me get II. Boston specifically says they review apps in order that's why I'm worried

Rejected pre-II today. Closed chapter, moving on. Good luck to everyone still waiting for II.

interviewed mid-october and the post-II e-mail makes it seem like if you send an update letter it will help your chances....anyone have any insight on this? dont think ill have an update by mid-december...

interviewed mid-october and the post-II e-mail makes it seem like if you send an update letter it will help your chances....anyone have any insight on this? dont think ill have an update by mid-december...

Already sent in an update. It can only help if you have something substantial. They asked for additional letters from managers, PIs, or supervisors if you didn't already send one in.

Just interviewed here today.

We were told that they receive 11,000 applications and interview about 1,000 applicants. Of the 1,000 interviewed students, approximately 400 are accepted for about 120 spots.