2017-2018 Eastern Virginia Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone, I had a really quick question, if someone doesn't mind answering. I was pretty much being a bumbling idiot and didn't realize that there was a "must submit in 30 days" kind of spiel for this school. It'd be the 31st day today for me today, do you think it'd still be worth submitting my application? Thanks!

submit it. I called and they said it is only a 'soft deadline'.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol I I have a 3.6, 3.2 and a 518 and I got screened out too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

II on wednesday!!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Never got a secondary. They said my science gpa was too low when I called

Strange my sGPA is a 3.25 with huge upward trend (3.7 last two years) and 515 MCAT and I got a secondary

Strange my sGPA is a 3.25 with huge upward trend (3.7 last two years) and 515 MCAT and I got a secondary

Yeahhhh I have a massive drop in my last year due to family stuff. It's all good tho. We still live this cycle

Reactions: 1 user
II today! IS

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had no idea about this 30 day rule. I received my secondary July 17 and was going to submit it this weekend. Worth it or no?

Hey guys. For exposure to medicine, does dentistry count? (Used this experience to make an informed decision about MD schools)

Got my interview invite a few days ago! First one, finally makes this whole thing feel real. Anyone schedule for Friday, Sept. 29th?

Hey guys. For exposure to medicine, does dentistry count? (Used this experience to make an informed decision about MD schools)

If you think it helps illustrate your path to medicine I would include it :)

Shoulda done my research a little bit better I suppose, screened out pre-secondary based on my lovely MCAT. Good luck everyone!

What is the minimum MCAT they use for pre-secondary screening?

Does anyone know how long they take to screen secondaries. Submitted last week and haven't heard anything.

I have a couple of C-'s on my pre-science courses. I did post-bacc but did not re-take those specific courses. Should I just not apply? The secondary email says " You must have a grade of C or better in all prerequisite courses. "

I have a couple of C-'s on my pre-science courses. I did post-bacc but did not re-take those specific courses. Should I just not apply? The secondary email says " You must have a grade of C or better in all prerequisite courses. "
I got a C in a pre-req, also did a post-bacc/master's, but with different courses. I got an interview here....Apply!

I'm completing the secondary now and see they require a professional photo of 144 pixels x 144 pixels. Did anyone else have trouble making their's small enough? I had a professional pic done but the resolution is way too high for their wimpy software - not sure what to do.

I'm completing the secondary now and see they require a professional photo of 144 pixels x 144 pixels. Did anyone else have trouble making their's small enough? I had a professional pic done but the resolution is way too high for their wimpy software - not sure what to do.

I just used a site like picmonkey to resize it with appropriate resolution.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For those who got complete e-mails -- does your portal still have a message that says that you will be notified when your file is complete? I got the email that I'm complete but portal still doesn't mark me as complete.

For those who got complete e-mails -- does your portal still have a message that says that you will be notified when your file is complete? I got the email that I'm complete but portal still doesn't mark me as complete.

Yep, me too.

II! OOS, 502 MCAT. Completely unexpected.

complete Aug 9th.

Reactions: 4 users
Also, has anyone here gone to the campus yet? Am I right in assuming this is a very service based school?

You are 100% correct. It's even a required component of the curriculum. And most of us volunteer outside of the requirement as well.

Just looked at the last cycle's thread and it seems as if you do pay OOS tuition for all 4 years.

This is also correct.

Reactions: 1 users
What would you say is the greatest draw to EVMS? I havent heard a lot about the school so pretty curious
I'd like to second this for any current students willing to share. Or even what is your most and least favorite thing about it? I got an II here and I'm local to the area so I know it's beautiful! And has the children's and Sentara hospitals across the street, but aside from what's on the website, that's really all I know.

Also, has anyone here gone to the campus yet? Am I right in assuming this is a very service based school?
Im from norfolk (currently living in Colorado though) and my high school was linked with EVMS so i spent a lot of time on the campus. Its a very small city vibe and super community oriented as parts of the community are very poor. Its a very cool area though with a lot of good local restaurants and bars and your not far from the beach! Downtown norfolk is really up and coming as well and they just built some really cool rooftop bars and restaurants that are popular with the med students and just people in their 20s to 30s in general. EVMS does a lot for the community though including a lot of programs with the local high school.

I'm interviewing Oct 20th and staying at the Norfolk Wyndham downtown if anyone wants to split the room cost with me. Reserved a car at the airport for 19th AM and I'm cool sharing a room and driving together to the interview. I don't check out until early the 21st so there is time to drive you to the airport for any return flights on the 20th.

I know this cycle is kinda stressful so!

Last edited:
II received like 3 weeks ago (8/23 I think?). Complete 7/22, in state.

II received. IS. Did not receive a completion email though lol