2017-2018 Loma Linda University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been reading through past threads, and something that has been brought up is the LOR from a pastor. I do not know my pastor well. I got to a bible study, and my bible study leader knows me well. Do you think a letter from him would be an appropriate substitute?

Reactions: 1 user
Is there any current students who is attending LLUSM who is willing to share his/her experience??

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the secondary, haven't had the chance to look at the prompts yet.

Secondary received today.

Here are the prompts: @Lucca

(1) Describe the extent and source of your knowledge of Loma Linda University School of Medicine (LLUSM). (750 characters max)

(2) What makes LLUSM particularly attractive to you? (750 characters max)

(3) What qualities make you a desirable candidate for admission to LLUSM? (750 characters max)

(4) Discuss how your spiritual experience has influenced your life and how you integrate it into your daily life. (750 characters max)

(5) What experiences in your life would illustrate your perspective on service to others? (750 characters max)

(6) As a Christian educational institution the medical curriculum integrates spiritual, ethical, and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services and religion courses are part of this program. Please respond to the above as it relates to your personal educational and career goals. (750 characters max)

(7) Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution that has lifestyle expectations that include abstinence from alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs/substances in all forms. In the past year, have you used any of these substances? If so, which one(s)? (250 characters max)

(8) If accepted to LLUSM, are you willing to abide by the lifestyle policies of Loma Linda University School of Medicine? (250 characters max)

What do we write for #1 if we don't have interactions with people from Loma Linda

My letters are in the AMCAS system but Loma Linda still hasn't received it yet. Is anyone else on the same boat?

Hey @Gutsy mine's showing that they've received my letters but I think it took a couple of days after I assigned them

Is anyone else who submitted the secondary having a problem where if you click "download PDF" of your app, the apostrophes and dashes in your free responses show up as dots? I'm kind of concerned :eek:

How long did it take you guys for them to send you a secondary? I'm expecting my primary to be processed by the end of the week, and I'm just curious what the time frame is after that.

Is it worth applying as a non-Christian? I don't follow any particular religion, but I respect all. I won't bash Christianity or anything, but do they accept colored people who arent Christians?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take you guys for them to send you a secondary? I'm expecting my primary to be processed by the end of the week, and I'm just curious what the time frame is after that.

I submitted my primaries when the application opened and on July 11th, I received secondaries. And submitted Secondaries (7/21) and received a completed supplemental app email today (7/31)

Is it worth applying as a non-Christian? I don't follow any particular religion, but I respect all. I won't bash Christianity or anything, but do they accept colored people who arent Christians?
I think it might be difficult for you to write compelling answers to the secondary questions if you are non-Christian.

Does anyone know how LLU reviews the applications of reapplicants? Side-by-side with last year's or independent? Thanks!

Did anybody receive an email today stating that your application has been updated?

Did anybody receive an email today stating that your application has been updated?
Yes, today's update email just said that all of my materials have been received (i.e. LOR, photograph, and MCAT score). I submitted my secondary on July 30th and was complete at that time.

I submitted my application on 7/21 and finally received my complete email today. I was a little confused because I thought I was already complete. It just sucks because now I'm further behind in the review.

I submitted my application on 7/21 and finally received my complete email today. I was a little confused because I thought I was already complete. It just sucks because now I'm further behind in the review.
I doubt it! I think you are still good, I got that e-mail today as well and I submitted on like 8/9, so I bet they just did a batch of it today. I also thought I was complete for what it's worth. I bet you are still in line earlier than me

I doubt it! I think you are still good, I got that e-mail today as well and I submitted on like 8/9, so I bet they just did a batch of it today. I also thought I was complete for what it's worth. I bet you are still in line earlier than me

What was the message in the complete email? I think the most recent email I received from them was the "your application has been updated" one, a few days after my secondary submission. Not sure if this is the same as the complete email though.

What was the message in the complete email? I think the most recent email I received from them was the "your application has been updated" one, a few days after my secondary submission. Not sure if this is the same as the complete email though.

Mine stated that it was complete. I received the update email a few weeks ago after I submitted my secondary.

I perused my emails to see if I actually ever got a completion/under review email and I was surprised to see that I have not yet. I submitted July 24th with my LORs, MCAT and primary getting in a couple weeks before that date.

I called the admissions office and they told me I have nothing to worry about and that it's likely because of the large volume of applications that have been received.

Hopefully I get complete soon because this is one of my favorite schools I've applied to.

Last edited:
Mine stated that it was complete. I received the update email a few weeks ago after I submitted my secondary.

I perused my emails to see if I actually ever got a completion/under review email and I was surprised to see that I have not yet. I submitted July 24th with my LORs, MCAT and primary getting in a couple weeks before that date.

I called the admissions office and they told me I have nothing to worry about and that it's likely because of the large volume of applications that have been received.

Hopefully I get complete soon because this is one of my favorite schools I've applied to.

I submitted everything long before I submitted the secondary on 7/22 and still haven't received the complete email. I suppose the waiting game is on.

How have you guys answered Question #8? "Yes" would be a straightforward and logical answer and I don't see the need to expand any further, but I'm not sure. Prob just overthinking but any advice helps!

When does this school start giving out IIs?

No specific time-frame. Just whenever they're able to get around to it. It took about 2 weeks to receive mine.

Did you apply this cycle? I just ask because I submitted my secondary fairly early and it's been a month and I'm still not complete and under review. Is this school just super late with this stuff or something? I'm just getting worried and feel like this is weird

No specific time-frame. Just whenever they're able to get around to it. It took about 2 weeks to receive mine.

Just to confirm you already received a II from them? It's been a month for me since I received the email about my app being compiled for receive. Like @DoctorChurpio I haven't received any updates regarding completion or under review. Im a little below their MCAT score, so I'm guessing that may be why they're taking so long to get around me since they probably want to hit up the power scorers first, but just wanted to check with you.

Did you apply this cycle? I just ask because I submitted my secondary fairly early and it's been a month and I'm still not complete and under review. Is this school just super late with this stuff or something? I'm just getting worried and feel like this is weird
I am, yes. If you read previous comments and past threads about LLU you'll see that they can be a little slow. Don't be worried.
Just to confirm you already received a II from them? It's been a month for me since I received the email about my app being compiled for receive. Like @DoctorChurpio I haven't received any updates regarding completion or under review. Im a little below their MCAT score, so I'm guessing that may be why they're taking so long to get around me since they probably want to hit up the power scorers first, but just wanted to check with you.
I did. Still waiting for the complete email too. Patience is a virtue!

I am, yes. If you read previous comments and past threads about LLU you'll see that they can be a little slow. Don't be worried.

I did. Still waiting for the complete email too. Patience is a virtue!
You revived an interview invitation without a completion e-mail?

Nope. Never said I got an interview. Can't wait for one though! :)
oh okay but way you made it sound that response to the previous poster made it sound like you did. II meaning interview invite, not secondary

Anyone know if LLU is responsive to ITA emails? Would love to not have to pay to fly to California multiple time$$$

Complete email received today (+5 I guess) gl everyone!

Anyone know if LLU is responsive to ITA emails? Would love to not have to pay to fly to California multiple time$$$
From their website, the only thing I saw relevant to ITAs was "Interviews are by invitation only". But you can call their admission's office and ask (909-558-4462); ya never know.

When does this school start giving out IIs?
Friends of mine last year were complete in early July 2016 but didn't receive Loma Linda's II until the end of Sept. Their LizzyMs were around 75, IS, and traditional. So I wouldn't worry too much since it's not even Sept yet.

Friends of mine last year were complete in early July 2016 but didn't receive Loma Linda's II until the end of Sept. Their LizzyMs were around 75, IS, and traditional. So I wouldn't worry too much since it's not even Sept yet.
Thanks!

Your email at 6am this morning was just mean, Loma Linda.

Reactions: 2 users
Your email at 6am this morning was just mean, Loma Linda.
Couldn't agree more. What was the purpose of that?? Haha. Only filling out the FAFSA if you send me some different emails first!

Reactions: 1 users