2017-2018 Michigan State University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II for 10/9 at the Grand Rapids campus!! Got an email yesterday - OOS, CA resident

When you are invited are you able to chose the campus you want to interview at? My app was delayed from an incoming MCAT score.. hoping to hear back soon. GR is essentially my number 1.
 
When you are invited are you able to chose the campus you want to interview at? My app was delayed from an incoming MCAT score.. hoping to hear back soon. GR is essentially my number 1.
No, you are told which campus you interview at but where you interview is not indicative of which campus you attend. You can put in preferences once you are accepted but there is no guarantee that you will be at the one you want.
 
On hold. IS LizzyM-66, so basically I'll take it as a rejection
I don't think you should take it as a rejection! Per their website, after they review an app, the applicant can either be placed on hold, invited to interview, or rejected. And they do flat out reject applicants right after the review process if they feel the applicant is not a good fit. On hold just means they will review your app later on, and there are people who do get taken off for an interview, but I don't think that crowd is big... or at least not as big on sdn as in real life. So I think you shouldn't worry. Im preparing for the hold status to be honest so i did my research on it. I keep checking the portal but i wish these schools would just send emails when there are updates bc checking all the portals is time consuming
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, you are told which campus you interview at but where you interview is not indicative of which campus you attend. You can put in preferences once you are accepted but there is no guarantee that you will be at the one you want.
Thank you for the clarification! Also best of luck at your interview!
 
Can anyone give me some insight into the question "Explain how you will address any challenges it might pose for you" in relation to the SDC? Does it mean specifically the SDC or just classes in general? I don't really understand how to answer this question...I'm not sure of any challenges the SDC would give to me lol
 
Can anyone give me some insight into the question "Explain how you will address any challenges it might pose for you" in relation to the SDC? Does it mean specifically the SDC or just classes in general? I don't really understand how to answer this question...I'm not sure of any challenges the SDC would give to me lol
I think it means specifically SDC. They have quite a bit of information about it on their website that is really helpful!
 
I think it means specifically SDC. They have quite a bit of information about it on their website that is really helpful!
yeah they do! i spent a good amount of time looking into it & really liked it. seems to align with my ideal form of education which is why i'm struggling to come up with a challenge. i'll keep thinking about it! also lol our usernames are like analogous im digging it
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OOS II a couple weeks ago for 9/29. May I ask what folks are doing for lodging? I see an option to stay in a dorm (I'm assuming" and am curious to see if anyone has any experience with it.
'
 
If you've got the financial means and feel that you have a good shot at an interview, then why not?
Because I heard that tulane (for example) was overbooked for interviews right now and people say that there is no use in applying. I feared the same thing was happening here. Also my scores are 3.7 GPA and 509 MCAT, dunno if thats good enough.
 
Because I heard that tulane (for example) was overbooked for interviews right now and people say that there is no use in applying. I feared the same thing was happening here. Also my scores are 3.7 GPA and 509 MCAT, dunno if thats good enough.
Only the adcom can say. But if you never apply, your possibilities at an interview is 0%.
 
Grand Rapids Campus medical buildings were state of the arc. 88.1M research building scheduled for grand opening very soon. At the interview, overall positive vibes from the faculty and medical students there, and were very optimistic of new shared discovery curriculum.
 
Placed on hold. Is this basically a rejection or do people end up getting interviews from this status?
Is it this on the portal or do you get an email? "Your application has been reviewed and is on hold for comparison to the larger applicant pool. Your status will change after an interview decision is made"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No email, per portal "Your application has been reviewed and is on hold for comparison to the larger applicant pool. Your status will change after an interview decision is made"
 
Any idea how many interviews they give at once? Can't tell if they're being super sparse or if IIs are just lacking in the SDN crowd
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
509 MCAT, 3.78 GPA, In-state, lots of scribing and shadowing, worked with the elderly and disabled for 3 years. Complete 8/25. Still waiting to hear back. Getting discouraged... 🙁