2017-2018 Michigan State University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

A little confused about these scholarship essays that are due Friday, especially since they don't seem to have a clear prompt or question to answer... are we supposed to write straightforward why we are qualified for the scholarship? or write about the experience which we feel makes us qualified? or what? Especially for the ones who are given to a student "who has achieved academic excellence"... I'm not sure how one would write about when they can just look at the transcript?

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know the deadline to commit? Also, how you would do so? I think I read April 30 as the deadline but the source was from 2014 so I don't know how accurate that is. Thanks!
 
Anyone know the deadline to commit? Also, how you would do so? I think I read April 30 as the deadline but the source was from 2014 so I don't know how accurate that is. Thanks!
Yes, it is still April 30th. You can only have a seat in one medical school after that day. I am assuming you just have to respectfully withdraw via email. That is what I was planning to do when I make my final decision.
 
Hello and congrats to everyone who’s been accepted! Has anyone been moved off the alternate list recently? I feel like it’s been so quiet on there. I understand that most of the movement will happen after the national deadline but I’m wondering if there’s any now.
 
Last edited:
I called financial aid and they said that they are switching to a new system this year and it is taking longer than expected to get the packages. She apologized and she told me what aid I would get over the phone. You guys can call and get it over the phone, if you want.
 
Thank you!

Also, did anyone receive confirmation for second look? I have it scheduled for tomorrow but I never received any form of confirmation.
 
I hope everyone had a good time at 2nd look day! I know it's hard to soak up all of the information that's given to you in one day so if anyone has any unanswered questions or wants clarification on something feel free to ask!
 
I hope everyone had a good time at 2nd look day! I know it's hard to soak up all of the information that's given to you in one day so if anyone has any unanswered questions or wants clarification on something feel free to ask!

The student success section of the guide for the shared discovery curriculum recommends setting aside 60-80 hrs per week of independent study. I’ve been told by current students that there are roughly 30 hours of required attendance activities weekly. Are most students in this curriculum having to put in 90-110 hours per week in order to pass? Seems extremely inefficient


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
The student success section of the guide for the shared discovery curriculum recommends setting aside 60-80 hrs per week of independent study. I’ve been told by current students that there are roughly 30 hours of required attendance activities weekly. Are most students in this curriculum having to put in 90-110 hours per week in order to pass? Seems extremely inefficient


Sent from my iPhone using

Those 60-80 hours per week include required attendance activities. I'm not sure why it's phrased like that in the guide.

In my experience it was closer to 80 hours in the first 8ish weeks while I was adjusting to the rigors of medical school. That was probably the most inefficient part of medical school for me so far. Then it tapered down to 60-70 for the rest of M1 until about March when intersessions started. Intersessions are a lot more relaxed and you definitely get more free time to really hone in on your weaknesses and/or just chill while you keep up with schoolwork for 12 weeks.

MCE was more time consuming. Definitely closer to 80 hours per week, but we had easy weeks sprinkled in as well. I think M2 universally sucks no matter where you go from what I've heard from people at other schools.

There are definitely parts of the curriculum that are inefficient like certain weeks in SIM, large group, clinic experiences, etc. I think not having exams every single week and having no minutiae to memorize definitely makes up for those inefficiencies, though. I still had time to spend with my significant other, do things on the weekends, exercise, and all that other good stuff.
 
Those 60-80 hours per week include required attendance activities. I'm not sure why it's phrased like that in the guide.

In my experience it was closer to 80 hours in the first 8ish weeks while I was adjusting to the rigors of medical school. That was probably the most inefficient part of medical school for me so far. Then it tapered down to 60-70 for the rest of M1 until about March when intersessions started. Intersessions are a lot more relaxed and you definitely get more free time to really hone in on your weaknesses and/or just chill while you keep up with schoolwork for 12 weeks.

MCE was more time consuming. Definitely closer to 80 hours per week, but we had easy weeks sprinkled in as well. I think M2 universally sucks no matter where you go from what I've heard from people at other schools.

There are definitely parts of the curriculum that are inefficient like certain weeks in SIM, large group, clinic experiences, etc. I think not having exams every single week and having no minutiae to memorize definitely makes up for those inefficiencies, though. I still had time to spend with my significant other, do things on the weekends, exercise, and all that other good stuff.

Awesome, thanks for clearing that up. You mentioned lack of minutiae, is that generally the case for all the exams?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Awesome, thanks for clearing that up. You mentioned lack of minutiae, is that generally the case for all the exams?


Sent from my iPhone using

Yes. Our exams all cover what you should know by the time you finish 2nd year. The minimum score to pass goes up each semester. The bar is set pretty low in year one, which is nice because you have the flexibility to try multiple approaches to studying and figure out what works best for you without much risk.

The actual content of NBME exams reflects what you should know for step 1. Most people use the UFAPS resources in addition to the curriculum. We do have another exam format that includes questions written by MSU faculty, but they try to mirror NBME content. Those questions can be lower quality at times, but if you are keeping up with the NBME content then you should be fine for that exam format as well.
 
I called financial aid and they said that they are switching to a new system this year and it is taking longer than expected to get the packages. She apologized and she told me what aid I would get over the phone. You guys can call and get it over the phone, if you want.

On the stuinfo.msu.edu site, Financial Aid awards are able to be reviewed and accepted.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes. Our exams all cover what you should know by the time you finish 2nd year. The minimum score to pass goes up each semester. The bar is set pretty low in year one, which is nice because you have the flexibility to try multiple approaches to studying and figure out what works best for you without much risk.

The actual content of NBME exams reflects what you should know for step 1. Most people use the UFAPS resources in addition to the curriculum. We do have another exam format that includes questions written by MSU faculty, but they try to mirror NBME content. Those questions can be lower quality at times, but if you are keeping up with the NBME content then you should be fine for that exam format as well.

Thanks for the info. Regarding UFAPS, does the school provide any discounts for study resources? Was thinking of buying a couple things just to become familiar with the layout/how to use before school starts but I’d like to wait if they provide discount codes


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Thanks for the info. Regarding UFAPS, does the school provide any discounts for study resources? Was thinking of buying a couple things just to become familiar with the layout/how to use before school starts but I’d like to wait if they provide discount codes


Sent from my iPhone using

The school doesn't, but sometimes if students come together and someone emails the people at pathoma or boards and beyond, they will provide a temporary discount code for the class. I would wait until you're a few weeks in to start looking at outside resources. You'll be overwhelmed if you try to juggle everything from the beginning. There is plenty of time to get familiar with that stuff.
 
On the stuinfo.msu.edu site, Financial Aid awards are able to be reviewed and accepted.
Mine shows my COA, but it doesn’t have any loans or anything to accept. I’m not sure why. I would assume that they would release everyone’s packages at once..?
 
Where's Year 4? Also, why does it say Year II/Year III ECE, I thought ECE was only Year I
Hmmm, I am not sure. I think they actually updated it recently because i looked it like 3 weeks ago, and it didn't have year 3. Maybe they are working on it as we speak. Also, I think that should say MCE and LCE for years II and III. I am not sure though.
 
Hmmm, I am not sure. I think they actually updated it recently because i looked it like 3 weeks ago, and it didn't have year 3. Maybe they are working on it as we speak. Also, I think that should say MCE and LCE for years II and III. I am not sure though.
at this link Medical Students | Office of Financial Aid | Michigan State University on the right side under CHM is has two links "Shared Discovery Budgets" and "returning student budget". Year 4 is under returning student budgets
 
This might be a long shot but does anyone know if the ABLE program will let us know before June 8th (as they said in the email) if were accepted or not? Also does anyone know the date they let people know last year?
 
This might be a long shot but does anyone know if the ABLE program will let us know before June 8th (as they said in the email) if were accepted or not? Also does anyone know the date they let people know last year?
I don't know the exact date, but someone told me they heard in early June last year.
 
Last edited:
This might be a long shot but does anyone know if the ABLE program will let us know before June 8th (as they said in the email) if were accepted or not? Also does anyone know the date they let people know last year?

I'm a current M1 but was in ABLE before that. They took a little longer my year since it was the year they changed the whole curriculum over which also meant ABLE had to change too. We were supposed to find out May 30th but they pushed it off 2 more weeks and we found out June 14th (this was in 2016). The ABLE curriculum starts in mid July with a month long, Summer Institute, where they put you up in dorms for a month. So I can't imagine them going past june 9th and if they do, it wont be by a lot.
 
I'm a current M1 but was in ABLE before that. They took a little longer my year since it was the year they changed the whole curriculum over which also meant ABLE had to change too. We were supposed to find out May 30th but they pushed it off 2 more weeks and we found out June 14th (this was in 2016). The ABLE curriculum starts in mid July with a month long, Summer Institute, where they put you up in dorms for a month. So I can't imagine them going past june 9th and if they do, it wont be by a lot.

Thank you! I have so many questions! Can I PM you?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For financial aid, does everyone just have financial aid/loan awards for fall and spring, but not summer? Or does anyone know if they put up summer financial aid awards at a later date than fall/spring?
 
For financial aid, does everyone just have financial aid/loan awards for fall and spring, but not summer? Or does anyone know if they put up summer financial aid awards at a later date than fall/spring?
I am an MSU student right now, and usually in March, we have to apply for summer aid. That is for under grad, but I am not sure if it will the same when we are med students! Maybe, though.
 
For financial aid, does everyone just have financial aid/loan awards for fall and spring, but not summer? Or does anyone know if they put up summer financial aid awards at a later date than fall/spring?

The "fiscal year" is Summer->Fall->Spring.
You won't get your summer 2019 award until sometime in the spring.
You should be eligible for the same amount each semester of attendance. This is how I understand it. The financial aid counselors are great to talk to, though, if you have questions.
 
Has anyone heard of any movement of the CHM alternate list? I understand the last day to choose between medical schools is April 30th but as that deadline is approaching I'm sure most people have submitted their decision.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there any point in calling to see if CHM is pulling from the alternate list this year or am I better off waiting 2 weeks?