Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Michigan State University
Started by Lucca
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Got the call last night! ACCEPTED. So unexpected, I thought the next notice date was March 14.
Last edited:
Whoa!! This gives me hope! I've been counting down the days until March 14thGot the call last night!ACCEPTED. So unexpected, I thought the next notice date was March 14.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waitlisted... They mentioned there wasn't much movement with their Alternate list either. On to the next one!
Same. Waitlisted -_-
Does anyone know when we find out if we got into one of the special programs-- LRM/LMU?
I feel like someone said June? not sure thoughDoes anyone know when we find out if we got into one of the special programs-- LRM/LMU?
For accepted applicants:
Have you guys heard anything about the second look day?
Have you guys heard anything about the second look day?
They said they’re sending it next week. I called yesterday. I know GR is 4/19 and EL is 4/20 if that helps at all. But the itinerary should be coming soon!For accepted applicants:
Have you guys heard anything about the second look day?
+1Can someone explain this whole intersession thing? So we have to pay extra for additional schooling during the summer while other medical students typically get that time off? Are you serious...
Can someone explain this whole intersession thing? So we have to pay extra for additional schooling during the summer while other medical students typically get that time off? Are you serious...
Intersessions are a very very welcome break from the ECE.
ECE runs end of August to Spring Break (March 1st next year). Intersessions are from March 12th (ish) to June 1st (ish). Then we get a month off for summer. In July, MCE starts.
I've been told by a few M2s that intersessions is really when you can get a lot of studying done, so I am looking forward to it. The ECE schedule was packed full of classes, clinic, and sim. By the end of the day, I was exhausted and barely had the energy to do more than prep for the next day. Most of the time, I spent the weekend working on the entire week's material just to keep up.
For intersessions, the most I am in class is for 4 hours a day (that's on my worst day).
PM me if you want more information. I'm happy to send copies of ECE and intersession schedules along with any tips for people attending.
But from your post, you already seem unhappy about MSU CHM. If that is the case, don't go here. You won't like it and you won't do well.
It took me about 2-3 business days after I submitted mine to get the result and the school sent me an official acceptance via email about 2 weeks after that.Does anyone know how long it takes after your CBC has been sent for your conditional acceptance to become a formal one?
Does anyone know how long it takes after your CBC has been sent for your conditional acceptance to become a formal one?
I sent mine in last night and got an email from the school this morning!
Received second look email earlier today! Just wanted to make sure everybody got it and the spam-monster didn't steal it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats on your acceptances! I'm a current M2 so if you have any questions about the SDC or CHM in general fire away and I'll reply as soon as I can. Feel free to DM me for more personal questions as well.
Everything is fair game and I'll provide honest answers so don't hold back!
Everything is fair game and I'll provide honest answers so don't hold back!
Accepted in late January and released my CBC to MSU on January 30th... still waiting for that formal acceptance email. Anyone else experiencing this? Worried I messed something up along the lines of submitting all the proper stuff from Certiphi
Congrats on your acceptances! I'm a current M2 so if you have any questions about the SDC or CHM in general fire away and I'll reply as soon as I can. Feel free to DM me for more personal questions as well.
Everything is fair game and I'll provide honest answers so don't hold back!
@itsformative
Thanks! Do you mind sharing your GR vs. EL points of view??
How does campus assignment process actually work, and when did you find out your campus? Did you have enough time to find housing, etc.?
What time do you leave your house in the morning, and what time do you usually get home? (I'm sure it varies, but feel free to elaborate...)
🙂
Is your class doing the shared discovery curriculum? If so, how do you feel about it?Congrats on your acceptances! I'm a current M2 so if you have any questions about the SDC or CHM in general fire away and I'll reply as soon as I can. Feel free to DM me for more personal questions as well.
Everything is fair game and I'll provide honest answers so don't hold back!
Sent from my BBB100-3 using SDN mobile
@itsformative
Thanks! Do you mind sharing your GR vs. EL points of view??
How does campus assignment process actually work, and when did you find out your campus? Did you have enough time to find housing, etc.?
What time do you leave your house in the morning, and what time do you usually get home? (I'm sure it varies, but feel free to elaborate...)
🙂
Thanks! Do you mind sharing your GR vs. EL points of view??
Both campuses are great and provide everything you need to be successful. COL is a bit cheaper in EL and you get more of the college town feel. GR is beautiful and the Secchia center right in the heart of the medical mile. If you have more specific questions let me know and I can try to answer!
How does campus assignment process actually work, and when did you find out your campus? Did you have enough time to find housing, etc.?
Sometime in the spring you will get to pick between GR and EL. There are certain special considerations available, but they are pretty strict and probably don't apply to the majority of people. Things like being married and spouse having a career started already, being treated for a chronic condition by a physician in the city your campus preference is, etc. I don't really remember all the criteria, but they will be sent to you in an email. After you make a selection they will review any special considerations first and then try to place you in your preferred campus. Usually more people pick GR than EL so a few people who wanted GR end up in EL. If you want to be EL then there's pretty much a 100% chance you will be in EL.
We found out in May in my year. You don't have to be moved in until about a week before orientation towards the end of August so there's plenty of time to find housing.
What time do you leave your house in the morning, and what time do you usually get home? (I'm sure it varies, but feel free to elaborate...)
This varies a TON for everyone and it changes from week to week. If you plan on studying on campus then you can pretty much bank on being gone from about 7 am (depending how long it takes you to get ready) until 5 or 6 pm. This is a very rough average. I've had days where I was studying/at clinic/in small groups from 8 am to 10 pm and I've had lazy days as well.
They try to plan our workload out from week to week so that it is about 60-80 hours a week. Some weeks are better than others, but it truly depends on how much you need/want to study.
Is your class doing the shared discovery curriculum? If so, how do you feel about it?
Sent from my BBB100-3 using SDN mobile
Yes. I like the curriculum overall. There are definitely some parts that I don't like, but that's to be expected with a new curriculum. The faculty is always trying to get feedback so that they can improve it. The curriculum gives you a ton of flexibility to figure out what works best for your learning style and the faculty are very supportive. The clinical experience has been good for the most part. There are some experiences that aren't that great and are mainly shadowing, but we've also had really beneficial experiences as well. I think that we're very well prepared to be 3rd year students and eventually I think we're going to be great residents.
Step 1 is just around the corner and I think that we are well prepared as a class. We take 2 NBME exams a semester and our scores have been very promising. I'm a firm believer in doing well on step 1 depends a lot more on the individual student than the curriculum they are in. With that being said, I think CHM does a great job in giving its students opportunities to be successful.
Good luck to everyone awaiting news tonight/tomorrow!
Which groups are still waiting? Will people who interviewed early Feb hear back tomorrow?
I interviewed 2/5 and got called already-- not sure if they notified everyone though. They had one last interview on 2/23, so maybe that group?
Anyone else get referred to ABLE?
When did you get your status updated?Anyone else get referred to ABLE?
They’re most likely delaying the ADCOMS meeting because of match week!Anyone hear back today?
I was referred to ABLE on 2/7/18.When did you get your status updated?
Does anyone know if we need to do immunizations/labs prior to matriculation, I don't see it on the checklist on things to do.
Anyone hear back today?
I heard some people from the last two interview dates were called, not sure if the waitlist email went out though.
Does anyone know if we need to do immunizations/labs prior to matriculation, I don't see it on the checklist on things to do.
You can probably get away with it in the first few weeks, but you have to have them in once clinic starts on week 8 or 9 or else you won't get to participate in clinic and that would definitely not be good.
I'd try to get all of those in order before matriculation. Your schedule is going to be loaded when you start so if you can take care of those things before school starts then that will be one more thing off your plate 😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here is the link for the current form. I don't think we got info about them until June but it would have been helpful to have earlier. Don't get your TB test done until closer to though.
http://www.uphys.msu.edu/files/attachment/15/original/StudentImmuneForm2012CCC.pdf
http://www.uphys.msu.edu/files/attachment/15/original/StudentImmuneForm2012CCC.pdf
Accepted! Just got the call 🙂
Unfortunately, I hear it does not move much.Waitlisted 🙁 How quickly does this waitlist move?
I am not sure. I feel like it doesn’t hurt, but I don’t think it’ll be very effective. I know at my interview, he said if he gets a 8/7 split in favor of acceptance, that’ll be a waitlist. He said he needs at least a 9/6 split to accept. Maybe that could be it? I have no idea though. It doesn’t hurt to try and call. The worst thing that could happen is they say no, they can’t tell you. Good luck!Am I allowed to call and ask why I was waitlisted?
Thank you!! That was very helpful!I am not sure. I feel like it doesn’t hurt, but I don’t think it’ll be very effective. I know at my interview, he said if he gets a 8/7 split in favor of acceptance, that’ll be a waitlist. He said he needs at least a 9/6 split to accept. Maybe that could be it? I have no idea though. It doesn’t hurt to try and call. The worst thing that could happen is they say no, they can’t tell you. Good luck!
About the application process:Am I allowed to call and ask why I was waitlisted?
Admissions Selection Process - Department of Medicine - Michigan State University
Link to the self assessment guide to receive feedback (they will email you a link if you get rejected (if the waitlist doesn't move):
Handbook & Self-Assessment - Department of Medicine - Michigan State University
Taken from their website:
If you are an unsuccessful applicant to the College of Human Medicine, the application process is complete and no further consideration will be given to your application. Decisions made by the Committee on Admissions are final, and not subject to appeal or revision. However, there are steps you can take to become a more competitive applicant if you intend to reapply to the College of Human Medicine in the future. See Procedures for Reapplying to CHM if you intend to reapply and wish to improve your application.
Does anyone know when they’re sending out financial aid packages? Before the deadline right?
507, sci 3.58, cum 3.68Anyone with an active MSAR sub got the median MCAT & GPA for MSU CHM? MSAR just updated but my sub ran out last week -_-
Withdrew my acceptance today! Hopefully some waitlist movement comes your way <3
Interested in knowing this as well. I've looked under financial aid in StuInfo but it just says "you have no financial aid package at this time"Does anyone know when they’re sending out financial aid packages? Before the deadline right?
Has anyone received a confirmation email for Second Look Day yet?
I didn’t know we were supposed to get an exmail. I thought we just had to fill out the form. I didn’t get any emailHas anyone received a confirmation email for Second Look Day yet?
After the formal acceptance, did you guys get anything in the mail??
I haven't received anything yet, kinda shocked because other schools have sent a nice letter/packet. I'm not sure if CHM sends anything through the mail.After the formal acceptance, did you guys get anything in the mail??
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm planning on both just to see everything!Who's going to the second look days? As an OOS I was thinking of only going to one of the days, so GR or EL 😛??
+1I'm planning on both just to see everything!
Any update on this by any chance?!Does anyone know when they’re sending out financial aid packages? Before the deadline right?
Haven't received anything formal either
It took like 2 weeks for me. And no email, but if you click like document status, it’ll show if/when they got it.Hey guys! For those of you accepted, how long after releasing the results of your background check did you receive a formal acceptance? Also, will we get an email if the Dean's certification form is delivered to their office? Thanks 🙂