2017-2018 Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do the BS/MD need to do anything besides meet the MCAT/GPA requirements? I noticed the % of people who shadow, do research, etc on MSAR is low but I assumed that was because only about 30% of the class applies through AMCAS so they only have data for those students.

No, maintain the GPA and obtain the MCAT score. Nonetheless, we’re encouraged to during the BS portion. Not sure about my classmates but I included my shadowing, volunteer, and research for the initial application for the program and AMCAS. We all apply through AMCAS though, it’s mandatory. Our applications are marked differently than direct.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Committee was supposedly meeting this week I think? Has anyone heard anything?

Committee was supposedly meeting this week I think? Has anyone heard anything?
Probably won't be until next week until people hear. A kid in my lab has a friend who is hearing today about if he can continue on with the BS/MD program so Im assuming they will extend offers to them and see how many seats they have.

Reactions: 1 users
Probably won't be until next week until people hear. A kid in my lab has a friend who is hearing today about if he can continue on with the BS/MD program so Im assuming they will extend offers to them and see how many seats they have.

Thanks for the insight!

Thanks for the insight!

Yep, spot on. Unfortunately for some of the BS/MD students, I suspect there will be a few seats open for direct entry. As far as how many... no idea.

Yep, spot on. Unfortunately for some of the BS/MD students, I suspect there will be a few seats open for direct entry. As far as how many... no idea.
I know at least my co workers friend didnt meet the MCAT requirement but was petitioning to stay in.

From what I know, a number of BS/MD students don't meet the cut. A friend of mine who is in the CSU early-assurance program with NEOMED said that last year only 9 out of the 30 students who were accepted in the program actually met the MCAT requirements.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I know, a number of BS/MD students don't meet the cut. A friend of mine who is in the CSU early-assurance program with NEOMED said that last year only 9 out of the 30 students who were accepted in the program actually met the MCAT requirements.

Do you know how many students met the cut this year? Also, only 30 students were in the program last year? For some reason I thought there were way more (given that the MD class size is 150).

Do you know how many students met the cut this year? Also, only 30 students were in the program last year? For some reason I thought there were way more (given that the MD class size is 150).
Thats just for the CSU postbacc linkage.

No, I'm not sure actually. And as buckoh24 said, this is only for CSU. According to this link (https://www.neomed.edu/wp-content/uploads/IR_COM-BSMD_2016FreshmanProfile.pdf) they have 35 from each of the three schools, not counting the CSU students. So theoretically speaking we should have at least 105 BS/MD students, but for class of 2020 for example (https://www.neomed.edu/wp-content/uploads/IR_COM_2016FreshmanProfile.pdf), this number went down to 89. That's a good number of seats open for DE.

No, I'm not sure actually. And as buckoh24 said, this is only for CSU. According to this link (https://www.neomed.edu/wp-content/uploads/IR_COM-BSMD_2016FreshmanProfile.pdf) they have 35 from each of the three schools, not counting the CSU students. So theoretically speaking we should have at least 105 BS/MD students, but for class of 2020 for example (https://www.neomed.edu/wp-content/uploads/IR_COM_2016FreshmanProfile.pdf), this number went down to 89. That's a good number of seats open for DE.

Oh! Hoping that’s the case this year.. Really hoping we hear back this week!

I was just looking at MSAR. It lists the approx # of wait-list positions as 120 with 43 acceptance offers granted to positions on the wait-list. It seems like MSAR was recently updated with new stats so this may be info from 2017 app cycle. Also listed was 108 students admitted from the bacc/MD program, which is higher than I thought.

I'm in the 60s so not holding out too much hope but I'd really like to know one way or another before secondaries start rolling in.

I was just looking at MSAR. It lists the approx # of wait-list positions as 120 with 43 acceptance offers granted to positions on the wait-list. It seems like MSAR was recently updated with new stats so this may be info from 2017 app cycle. Also listed was 108 students admitted from the bacc/MD program, which is higher than I thought.

I'm in the 60s so not holding out too much hope but I'd really like to know one way or another before secondaries start rolling in.
Im also in the 60s and I feel like the 43 acceptances will be higher than #43 on the WL because people have probably gotten acceptances within these past 2 months and have probably dropped.

Check your emails! I don't know how the class is full this late in the summer but they still expect to make offers? I don't know how to feel :(

It seems like they expect to make offers though or am I reading it wrong? Anyone who knows a BS/MD or CSU student have anything to add?

I don't know. I was thrown because the email started off optimistically but then stated that there are no spots available??

Could someone screenshot and forward me the email? My email relay hasn't been working all cycle even tho Ive changed my email in their system like 4 times

There is no point in speculating from the tone or fluff words in the email. We tend to do it automatically because we have been waiting anxiously for months, but all we can know for sure is no offers have been made and there are no spots open right now. That's all they are telling us.

I am going to take a deep breath and let the anticipation go for the next three weeks. In the worst case scenario, I'll let myself have a little teary tantrum at the end of July. I would not hesitate to submit secondaries for the 2019 cycle; the risk is simply too big. I wish you all the best of luck. Save your energy for strengthening your applications for next cycle! You've been challenged, you have worked hard. And you will have your chance, in this cycle or the next. (If you caught the Gladiator reference, high five).

Reactions: 2 users
There is no point in speculating from the tone or fluff words in the email. We tend to do it automatically because we have been waiting anxiously for months, but all we can know for sure is no offers have been made and there are no spots open right now. That's all they are telling us.

I am going to take a deep breath and let the anticipation go for the next three weeks. In the worst case scenario, I'll let myself have a little teary tantrum at the end of July. I would not hesitate to submit secondaries for the 2019 cycle; the risk is simply too big. I wish you all the best of luck. Save your energy for strengthening your applications for next cycle! You've been challenged, you have worked hard. And you will have your chance, in this cycle or the next. (If you caught the Gladiator reference, high five).
Hoping my WL schools will see I sent my primary/secondary to them again this cycle and give my ranking a boost haha

My friend in the csu program said 22 out of 30 got through this year and then 5 more from the class above them who got held back last year.

I have trouble understanding why they emphasized last year's waitlist statistics, as if they expected this year's stats to be similar. If they changed the requirements for BS/MD students to make it easier for them to matriculate, they must have known there will likely be far fewer spots this cycle. I can't imagine they would give false hope to waitlist people, so perhaps there is something we don't know.

I know it isn’t pleasant being on the waitlist, I was on the waitlist for the early assurance program. Obviously I haven’t read the email you guys are talking about but sounds like they’re just stating facts about last cycle.

Its not that they simply made the requirements for matriculation easier though. From what I know, neomed crunched some numbers and found that the previous score requirement for the mcat did not indicate success in 1st year anymore than the new academic requirements. Also, they’ve invested resources and time into the BS/MD students, it’s practical to place priority on those students if there’s support showing they will be successful just as much as a student on the waitlist for direct admit . 1. For their retention rate for the programs 2. Receiving financial support from grants/investors in the programs

I know it isn’t pleasant being on the waitlist, I was on the waitlist for the early assurance program. Obviously I haven’t read the email you guys are talking about but sounds like they’re just stating facts about last cycle.

Its not that they simply made the requirements for matriculation easier though. From what I know, neomed crunched some numbers and found that the previous score requirement for the mcat did not indicate success in 1st year anymore than the new academic requirements. Also, they’ve invested resources and time into the BS/MD students, it’s practical to place priority on those students if there’s support showing they will be successful just as much as a student on the waitlist for direct admit . 1. For their retention rate for the programs 2. Receiving financial support from grants/investors in the programs

I completely understand why BS/MD students have higher priority, and thinking objectively, I would hope every one of them who had the potential for success would matriculate before I did. They chose to dedicate their undergrad to NEOMED before I even looked it up.

And no, its not pleasant being on the wait list- can I even follow my own advice and not check the forum daily until the end of July? HA.

I'm just going to wait in line with my hands on my hips calling to the front, "Hey! You said 'it is a near certainty that we will be making a significant number of offers of admission from our alternate list' ! What was that all about??"

May the best man win. EHhhh,

Also I have heard that NEOMED has a large amount of students that drop during M1 with the majority being BS/MD. So their acceptance retention may be high, but wouldnt they rather invest in the student population that is more likely to stay? Not sure how many drop but have seen its 10-20 (coming from a NEOMED student and an employee).

Also I have heard that NEOMED has a large amount of students that drop during M1 with the majority being BS/MD. So their acceptance retention may be high, but wouldnt they rather invest in the student population that is more likely to stay? Not sure how many drop but have seen its 10-20 (coming from a NEOMED student and an employee).

My interviewer said something along the lines of how the BS/MD program will get phased out in the upcoming years because too many BS/MD students end up dropping. But I can't remember if he said this was in the process of happening or if it was just his wishful thinking.

My interviewer said something along the lines of how the BS/MD program will get phased out in the upcoming years because too many BS/MD students end up dropping. But I can't remember if he said this was in the process of happening or if it was just his wishful thinking.
I blieve they have changed it to a 4+4 program instead of 2+4 but I think the problem is that many of us have learned through shadowing/volunteering/etc what we actually want to go into medicine. Those arent requirements for the BS/MD so students may not always know what they are getting themselves into.

What I would like to know is what exactly we are waiting for; are we just waiting for a small number of students who have already been accepted to drop out, or are we also waiting for students in the BS/MD program who have not met the requirements to be eliminated from consideration? Are there a significant number of BS/MD students petitioning to stay in?
It takes every ounce of courage to not email NEOMED, but I know there isn't much they can tell us.

What I would like to know is what exactly we are waiting for; are we just waiting for a small number of students who have already been accepted to drop out, or are we also waiting for students in the BS/MD program who have not met the requirements to be eliminated from consideration? Are there a significant number of BS/MD students petitioning to stay in?
It takes every ounce of courage to not email NEOMED, but I know there isn't much they can tell us.

I wish we knew the same thing but also lol

Yes I know, Dr. Baba Ganoush, I'm having my tantrum a bit early. I stayed off the forum for a whole 2 hours though, try and break my record ;)

Talked to a current M4 who said "when I went from M1/M2 there were a handful who didn’t pass and repeated the year/dropped out but a few people who failed only one of the courses took a summer remediation and were on probationI think most of those people passed and went onto M2 with me" which is normal for almost every school so I would say 10-20 sounds like an exaggeration...

I am 100% confident we were told at interviews that a decent number of direct entries come off the waitlist (they said into 120 last year) and that they expected it to be a significant number again which is why everyone is so frustrated. False hope is quiet the anger fodder.

I was going through last year's thread and #28 was accepted on 7/8. I really wish they would provide us with some kind of explanation for the lag because this is getting ridiculous. :wtf:

last year, someone in the fifties was admitted late July (posted in last year's forum)
another student last year was admitted during the first week that classes began (I heard during my visit to NEOMED)

I'm in the 40s; I know its more excruciating for those of you in the 10s and 20s because you're just so close. I hope at least one of you hear back within the week so we can have a bit of cheer.

I think the lowered requirements is going to make the WL movement be much slower. Not too happy about them having us hold on because I need to sign a lease either here or there and my partner needs to figure out his job situation either way. If there was at least some type of transparency this would be a lot easier but even their email was vague. I already have 15+ secondaries submitted for next cycle so I wish they would give us more info so those of us with jobs and spouses can actually plan accordingly.

last year, someone in the fifties was admitted late July (posted in last year's forum)
another student last year was admitted during the first week that classes began (I heard during my visit to NEOMED)

I'm in the 40s; I know its more excruciating for those of you in the 10s and 20s because you're just so close. I hope at least one of you hear back within the week so we can have a bit of cheer.
If anything from last year applied, this conversation wouldn't be happening because half of us would have gotten in in June. That forum isn't applicable to this cycle.

If anything from last year applied, this conversation wouldn't be happening because half of us would have gotten in in June. That forum isn't applicable to this cycle.
It helped me to have a point of comparison between what we are seeing now and what happened then. You're right that it doesn't mean someone in the middle of the waitlist now will be accepted in two weeks, but that's not how I thought the information would be interpreted. Apologies if it was unhelpful.

It helped me to have a point of comparison between what we are seeing now and what happened then. You're right that it doesn't mean someone in the middle of the waitlist now will be accepted in two weeks, but that's not how I thought the information would be interpreted. Apologies if it was unhelpful.
This is why I hate forums like this, tone is nonexistent. I meant that if last year was something to look at, I should've gotten in in early June... obviously a month of staring at my email/phone with no news has driven me a bit crazy lol. No harm in your message!

Plz neomed. I gotta put a deposit down on a new place for my gap year if I dont hear back soon!

Reactions: 2 users