-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Nova Southeastern University
Started by gyngyn
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Yes, the second email was just directions, parking, and the parking pass. The initial interview invite email had all of the info about the interview for me. If yours didn't have all that information, I'd email Ms. Reid back - I'm sure she'd be happy to re-send.Was the email just about directions and parking? I have only gotten an email about that but not the interview itself
The school said 2-3 weeks to hear back but its been closer to 5 weeks and I havent heard back. Not even responses to my update emails or voicemails. I havent been able to get a hold of someone to speak to.
It has been 7 weeks for me 😛
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The school said 2-3 weeks to hear back but its been closer to 5 weeks and I havent heard back. Not even responses to my update emails or voicemails. I havent been able to get a hold of someone to speak to.
It has been 7 weeks for me 😛
It's been 8 weeks for me. I think it's safe to say that schools that schools that put out a timeframe are overly ambitious. UCSD promised 6-8 weeks, but it's been 15 and I haven't heard anything. All we can do is keep our fingers crossed and try to be patient!
It's been 8 weeks for me. I think it's safe to say that schools that schools that put out a timeframe are overly ambitious. UCSD promised 6-8 weeks, but it's been 15 and I haven't heard anything. All we can do is keep our fingers crossed and try to be patient!![]()
Are you guys waiting pre or post interview?It has been 7 weeks for me 😛
Are you guys waiting pre or post interview?
Pre-II
Pre-II
+1
Anyone hear how many applications they received? Doesn't look like anyone received a rejection pre or post II.
I'm guessing maybe 4000 by the end of the cycleAnyone hear how many applications they received? Doesn't look like anyone received a rejection pre or post II.
Some rejections went out pre-II. Source: Friend who applied same day (complete 11/30) as me (still waiting for II).Anyone hear how many applications they received? Doesn't look like anyone received a rejection pre or post II.
Just out of curiosity, what were your friends stats?Some rejections went out pre-II. Source: Friend who applied same day (complete 11/30) as me (still waiting for II).
I *think* it's something like 3.3-3.5 gpas and like 505 MCAT. Some research and no clinical experience. Top 50 school graduate.Just out of curiosity, what were your friends stats?
Based on what?I'm guessing maybe 4000 by the end of the cycle
Typically new schools receive that much but I could be wrong. That's what the Dean was expecting in the interviewBased on what?
Every new post on here I'm wondering if it's acceptance news. I wonder if we'll get any decisions today...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Recent acceptance? If so where? IF not what made you withdraw? because trust me this school is another University of Missouri in the making! they will accomplish great things, i can feel that.Withdrew my II just now - hope it falls to one of you guys 🙂
Recent acceptance? If so where? IF not what made you withdraw? because trust me this school is another University of Missouri in the making! they will accomplish great things, i can feel that.
I've been accepted to other schools in FL. I have nothing against PBL and I'm sure NSU will be amazing in the future 🙂 withdrew mostly because another state school will allow me to stay close to family/friends. Good luck!
I interviewed here today (if there are others, PM me if you want. I met some folks I liked and I'd like to hear how things pan out for y'all). A couple notes:
I also asked a lot of question and took good notes. If there's a specific that someone is curious about, I might have some info for you.
- There was a very strong suggestion that an important and exciting announcement would be hitting the twitter sphere tomorrow. Mum was the word, but I think we all know what it'll be. Keep your eye out.
- I was told a number like 2000, in terms of applicants. I heard it somewhat incompletely, so I could have not heard the context.
- I was told that the lag in decision turn around would be catching up very soon and that two weeks is now the expected turn around time for a decision.
- Other than the run of the mill concerns for a new program, I enjoyed the experience. I met some cool folks and would be happy to be in a small class environment with them.
I also asked a lot of question and took good notes. If there's a specific that someone is curious about, I might have some info for you.
I interviewed here today (if there are others, PM me if you want. I met some folks I liked and I'd like to hear how things pan out for y'all). A couple notes:
- There was a very strong suggestion that an important and exciting announcement would be hitting the twitter sphere tomorrow. Mum was the word, but I think we all know what it'll be. Keep your eye out.
- I was told a number like 2000, in terms of applicants. I heard it somewhat incompletely, so I could have not heard the context.
- I was told that the lag in decision turn around would be catching up very soon and that two weeks is now the expected turn around time for a decision.
- Other than the run of the mill concerns for a new program, I enjoyed the experience. I met some cool folks and would be happy to be in a small class environment with them.
I also asked a lot of question and took good notes. If there's a specific that someone is curious about, I might have some info for you.
Could you tell us more about the exciting announcement?
Could you tell us more about the exciting announcement?
It might be financial related. That's a guess and it's literally everything I know. Sorry.
Edit: That's a lie. I was told there's a fundraising gala tomorrow.
Oh ok that's what I was thinkingIt might be financial related. That's a guess and it's literally everything I know. Sorry.
Edit: That's a lie. I was told there's a fundraising gala tomorrow.
I interviewed here today (if there are others, PM me if you want. I met some folks I liked and I'd like to hear how things pan out for y'all). A couple notes:
- There was a very strong suggestion that an important and exciting announcement would be hitting the twitter sphere tomorrow. Mum was the word, but I think we all know what it'll be. Keep your eye out.
- I was told a number like 2000, in terms of applicants. I heard it somewhat incompletely, so I could have not heard the context.
- I was told that the lag in decision turn around would be catching up very soon and that two weeks is now the expected turn around time for a decision.
- Other than the run of the mill concerns for a new program, I enjoyed the experience. I met some cool folks and would be happy to be in a small class environment with them.
I also asked a lot of question and took good notes. If there's a specific that someone is curious about, I might have some info for you.
Did they say when you would specifically hear back after the interview?
How long were you complete until you received an II?I interviewed here today (if there are others, PM me if you want. I met some folks I liked and I'd like to hear how things pan out for y'all). A couple notes:
- There was a very strong suggestion that an important and exciting announcement would be hitting the twitter sphere tomorrow. Mum was the word, but I think we all know what it'll be. Keep your eye out.
- I was told a number like 2000, in terms of applicants. I heard it somewhat incompletely, so I could have not heard the context.
- I was told that the lag in decision turn around would be catching up very soon and that two weeks is now the expected turn around time for a decision.
- Other than the run of the mill concerns for a new program, I enjoyed the experience. I met some cool folks and would be happy to be in a small class environment with them.
I also asked a lot of question and took good notes. If there's a specific that someone is curious about, I might have some info for you.
Did they say how long they anticipate interviewing?
Did they say when you would specifically hear back after the interview?
Not specifically. "Probably two weeks" was the answer we heard more than once.
How long were you complete until you received an II?
Did they say how long they anticipate interviewing?
I received my II about 5 weeks after submission. Nobody in our group asked how long they anticipated interviewing. Sorry.
FWIW, Dr. Pritchett said they are going to interview about 350 people but I don't recall him saying anything about how long they anticipated interviewing.How long were you complete until you received an II?
Did they say how long they anticipate interviewing?
How long were you complete until you received an II?
Did they say how long they anticipate interviewing?
According to their website (which apparently I cant link)
April 2018: The interview period will end.
Pfft. Could it be decision week for early December too? Sitting here waiting since dec. first.Something tells me this week is the decision week for us late December and early January people
I feel like they have ranked applicants and are just working down that list. Like I’ve said previously, my friend was rejected who submitted same day so I know I’ve been reviewed but not invited to interview. Hopefully it will happen soon /:
Did anyone from January 5 hear back yet? We were told 3 weeks tops, and I did not get an email yesterday, but I’m seeing here an overall sense that they are behind schedule!Something tells me this week is the decision week for us late December and early January people
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone from January 5 hear back yet? We were told 3 weeks tops, and I did not get an email yesterday, but I’m seeing here an overall sense that they are behind schedule!
I interviewed Jan 5 and haven’t heard anything.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Pfft. Could it be decision week for early December too? Sitting here waiting since dec. first.
I feel like they have ranked applicants and are just working down that list. Like I’ve said previously, my friend was rejected who submitted same day so I know I’ve been reviewed but not invited to interview. Hopefully it will happen soon /:
I’m referring to post-interview decisions. But yeah, they’re behind their timeline for everyone. Just try to be patient 🙂
Did anyone from January 5 hear back yet? We were told 3 weeks tops, and I did not get an email yesterday, but I’m seeing here an overall sense that they are behind schedule!
Jan 5 here as well. I don't remember them saying 3 weeks but I remember them saying by the end of january/start of February.
#FreeTuitionHere’s the announcement. I’m not sure what it means per student. I’m sure they’ll announce more later.
View attachment 228536
Here’s the announcement. I’m not sure what it means per student. I’m sure they’ll announce more later.
View attachment 228536
Holy C--p!!
Here’s the announcement. I’m not sure what it means per student. I’m sure they’ll announce more later.
View attachment 228536
This is amazing news!!
Holy C--p!!
I mean, they said at my interview that they hoped to provide some scholarships...but when there was no mention in the acceptance email about it I just figured it was one of those things that people at med schools say like "we hope to provide updates promptly" or "the local area is vibrant and fun (probably actually true in Ft. Lauderdale, but not most towns)". Making this decision just got WAY harder
Doesn't Look like there will be much waitlist moment then...
Doesn't Look like there will be much waitlist moment then...
Dunno. It definitely makes nova more competitive with their top 50 choices. Still though, I think it will be a difficult choice for people, depending on where else they got in. Free tuition, really nice facilities. That's awesome! But, it's still a new program..one without any attached residency programs or networks of alumni. Personally, I feel very torn. The flagship school in my state has decent tuition, awesome residency programs in both my specialty interests, plus I live there now. Graduates perform well on the step and a lot of program directors respect the school, so their match is great. But, the people at NOVA were especially awesome and free tuition seems like very rare opportunity...
I'm going to play devil's advocate here. Technically, they didn't announce free tutiton for everyone. Previous posters indicted that they might be leaning toward the idea of scholarships. I wouldnt be surprised if that money was awarded over several years (5+) in a needs and diversity based matter. I would find it very suprising if they spent it all on their first class.Dunno. It definitely makes nova more competitive with their top 50 choices. Still though, I think it will be a difficult choice for people, depending on where else they got in. Free tuition, really nice facilities. That's awesome! But, it's still a new program..one without any attached residency programs or networks of alumni. Personally, I feel very torn. The flagship school in my state has decent tuition, awesome residency programs in both my specialty interests, plus I live there now. Graduates perform well on the step and a lot of program directors respect the school, so their match is great. But, the people at NOVA were especially awesome and free tuition seems like very rare opportunity...
I wouldn't. Offering free tuition is pretty standard for new MD schools.I'm going to play devil's advocate here. Technically, they didn't announce free tutiton for everyone. Previous posters indicted that they might be leaning toward the idea of scholarships. I wouldnt be surprised if that money was awarded over several years (5+) in a needs and diversity based matter. I would find it very suprising if they spent it all on their first class.
I'm going to play devil's advocate here. Technically, they didn't announce free tutiton for everyone. Previous posters indicted that they might be leaning toward the idea of scholarships. I wouldnt be surprised if that money was awarded over several years (5+) in a needs and diversity based matter. I would find it very suprising if they spent it all on their first class.
Well...they wouldn't have to spend it all to cover the inaugural students would they. 50 students in the first class at 54000 tuition each. That's 2.7 million per year. For 4 years, that's 10.8 million, leaving a balance of more than 14 million. Still, my gut says that you are probably right. I suspect though that there will be some significant incentive offered specifically for this class. If they did half they'd still have plenty to utilize the interest off for a few needs based scholarships from then on
At my interview, they said their ultimate "goal" is to cover 100% cost of attendance but they weren't making any promises on scholarships and were very vague about financial aid in general. Even with a (potential) full ride I still have some concerns about their curriculum and how well students will be prepared for step 1
I think its more the match that I'm concerned with than step one. The following is only my opinion, but its based on a lot of experience interacting with medical students and residents. Step performance is only tangentially about the school (mostly in how they structure allotted time), and more about you and how you handle those kinds of tests. The metric that most often predicts step performance year to year is...your MCAT performance (Explains why some schools are so into this, right). On the other hand, getting your first choice residency involves a lot of subjective factors. especially if your interest is in a competitive specialty like derm, rads or surgery (or to a lesser extent anesthesia and ER). I'm hoping to get something in the mail from NSU soon. If there is anything in the acceptance materials about scholarships then I will let everyone here know immediately!
Last edited:
I think its more the match that I'm concerned with than step one.
Here's a post where someone assembled the match list from most new MD programs (some links are broken). They are definitely not bad. If the trend holds, there will be nothing to worry about.
Also, if you're curious, I looked up match lists (or if I couldn't find the list, I included an article summing up the match) of their charter classes for as many of the new schools as I could find.
- UCF - 2013 -https://www.med.ucf.edu/media/2012/08/Match-Results-2013-without-names.pdf
- FAU - 2015 - The University... At A Glance
- FIU - 2013 - http://medicine.fiu.edu/news-and-media/2012/3/perfect-match-day.html#.WK-SJGfFDnM
- Oakland-Beaumont - 2015 - https://www.oakland.edu/Assets/Oakland/medicine/files-and-documents/students/MED-11698_Insert-2.pdf
- Cooper-Rowan - 2016 - News & Media - Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
- Hofstra - 2016 (couldn't find a list for 2015) - Match Day - Current Students - Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine at Hofstra University
- Penn Commonwealth - 2013 - $name
- Texas Tech (Paul I. Foster) - 2013 - https://elpaso.ttuhsc.edu/som/studentaffairs/_documents/2013_Match_Day_Results.pdf
- Virginia Tech - 2014 - A perfect match: Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine's inaugural class achieves 100 percent in residency matches
One thing did catch my eye. It seemed that the competitive residencies usually were matched at the home institution's hospital. I didn't check to see how consistent this observation was, but if it's true, then Nova may not fit that mold because they don't have an attached facility yet (although they may by residency time).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here's a post where someone assembled the match list from most new MD programs (some links are broken). They are definitely not bad. If the trend holds, there will be nothing to worry about.
One thing did catch my eye. It seemed that the competitive residencies usually were matched at the home institution's hospital. I didn't check to see how consistent this observation was, but if it's true, then Nova may not fit that mold because they don't have an attached facility yet (although they may by residency time).
I'd say that most new allopathic schools SHOULD do well in the match, if only because so many spots right now still go to IMG's. You made a great point with some good data to back it up. The skeptic in me seriously doubts nova will have residency programs attached before their first class graduates. Securing GME funding and accreditation is a seriously nuanced process (I once worked at a hospital that established a new IM residency program) I'd imagine even more so for a smaller, brand-new facility that will start with a brand-new medical staff. I'm sure NOVA will succeed in doing this, but 4 years seems beyond ambitious.
Here’s the announcement. I’m not sure what it means per student. I’m sure they’ll announce more later.
View attachment 228536
25 million sounds like enough to find a charter class’ tuition ...
Great news!
Edit: but, wasn’t the DO school also recently named after Dr. Patel? Are they just going to have the same name for two separate colleges? Seems a bit odd, no?
I think its more the match that I'm concerned with than step one.
25 million sounds like enough to find a charter class’ tuition ...
Great news!
Edit: but, wasn’t the DO school also recently named after Dr. Patel? Are they just going to have the same name for two separate colleges? Seems a bit odd, no?
It's enough, but allocation matters. The Patels are a power couple, both physicians. One school is named after the husband and another for the wife.
I asked during the lunch with the dean whether Nova's new hospital was going to add additional residency slots to the south Florida area since more med students would now be graduating down there every year, and I got the answer that there were plenty of residency spots currently available in south Florida and Nova had very strong ties with these sites.I'd say that most new allopathic schools SHOULD do well in the match, if only because so many spots right now still go to IMG's. You made a great point with some good data to back it up. The skeptic in me seriously doubts nova will have residency programs attached before their first class graduates. Securing GME funding and accreditation is a seriously nuanced process (I once worked at a hospital that established a new IM residency program) I'd imagine even more so for a smaller, brand-new facility that will start with a brand-new medical staff. I'm sure NOVA will succeed in doing this, but 4 years seems beyond ambitious.
So, even the dean is currently saying that they're adding med students to the pool, but not residency spots. He did say that he expected the hospital to be open for fourth year clinical rotations, though.
It's enough, but allocation matters. The Patels are a power couple, both physicians. One school is named after the husband and another for the wife.
Website says they’re both named after Dr. Kiran Patel?
Also, just to add to discussion on whether this gift means full tuition scholarships for the inaugural class - they DID say that it was their *goal* at my interview day a couple of weeks ago to cover the costs of the charter class’ tuition. So, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they do indeed use this big donation to fund the first class. The post also explicitly said that the money was to be used for scholarship purposes, and the gift is large enough to not only fully fund the first class, but to provide significant scholarship for later classes as well (not to mention that they *have* received other donations as well).
As I’ve mentioned in prior posts, offering this kind of incentive is essential for new schools if they expect to recruit a class of competitive applicants.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K