2017-2018 Ohio State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

My dream state school :love:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not IS (unfortunately) , but still hoping for some love. Best of luck to everyone!

OOS here, do you think I got a shot?
I got my MCAT scores back June 13th. With the scores I got (511) I am thinking of adding this on AMCAS. Overall GPA 3.76, BCPM 3.77 (some dual enrollment courses in HS brought this down).
Extracurriculars are on par with other students (not Harvard, Yale, etc, but good)
Ties to state: extended family.

OOS here, do you think I got a shot?
I got my MCAT scores back June 13th. With the scores I got (511) I am thinking of adding this on AMCAS. Overall GPA 3.76, BCPM 3.77 (some dual enrollment courses in HS brought this down).
Extracurriculars are on par with other students (not Harvard, Yale, etc, but good)
Ties to state: extended family.
It could be worth a shot, you never know.

I would guess it comes down to how they evaluate your ECs.

Any ideas on my odds? OOS from CA, ORM. 3.96 cgpa, 3.93 sgpa. 517 MCAT

I have decent ECs (300 hours clinical experience, recently hired part time medical assistant, some other nonclinical volunteering), but not research experience at all. I have been in contact with a training hospital and it sounds like they are on board with letting me do some clinical research there, but that won't start until August. For what its worth, i am actually pretty interested in what they're doing and would be putting in close to 20 hours a week once i start there. Thanks!

Any ideas on my odds? OOS from CA, ORM. 3.96 cgpa, 3.93 sgpa. 517 MCAT

I have decent ECs (300 hours clinical experience, recently hired part time medical assistant, some other nonclinical volunteering), but not research experience at all. I have been in contact with a training hospital and it sounds like they are on board with letting me do some clinical research there, but that won't start until August. For what its worth, i am actually pretty interested in what they're doing and would be putting in close to 20 hours a week once i start there. Thanks!
Academically you are great. I have never gotten the impression that OSU is much more research oriented compared to peer schools in terms of admissions, but I cannot speak with any authority on that.
They take quite a few Cali kids, so would probably be worth a shot.

Is OSU abbreviation appropriate for when I write the essays? or OSUCOM?
I would say that's fine if there is a character limit. This is my second time applying to medical school, first time for OSU. I haven't submitted my application yet but I feel you need to express your answer as best as possible. If that means using reasonable abbreviations (OSU, USA, AMSA, UAE, DHS, HBIC*kidding lol*) then use it!

If you want to really sound like an Ohioan you could use tOSU, lol... THE Ohio State University :)

(I kid! Not sure if they actually use that officially or if it is just my Buckeyes-obsessed friends.)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
just received, but code isn't working ugh ugh Y must you do this OSU

EDIT: Called and they fixed right away!

Last edited:
"*REQUIRED ESSAY FOR THOSE APPLYING TO REGULAR M.D., M.D./PhD AND THE PRIMARY CARE TRACK:
The mission statement of The Ohio State University College of Medicine is to "improve people's lives" through innovation in research, medical education, and patient care. Please describe how your past experiences predict your potential to contribute in two of these three areas. (250 words or less)

*REQUIRED ESSAY FOR THOSE APPLYING TO REGULAR M.D., M.D./PhD AND THE PRIMARY CARE TRACK:
The OSU COM Admissions vision statement states that the admissions committee will assemble a class that displays "diversity in background and thought." Why is "diversity in background and thought" a desirable characteristic for a medical school's student body? (250 words or less)"

Reactions: 3 users
"*REQUIRED ESSAY FOR THOSE APPLYING TO REGULAR M.D., M.D./PhD AND THE PRIMARY CARE TRACK:
The mission statement of The Ohio State University College of Medicine is to "improve people's lives" through innovation in research, medical education, and patient care. Please describe how your past experiences predict your potential to contribute in two of these three areas. (250 words or less)

*REQUIRED ESSAY FOR THOSE APPLYING TO REGULAR M.D., M.D./PhD AND THE PRIMARY CARE TRACK:
The OSU COM Admissions vision statement states that the admissions committee will assemble a class that displays "diversity in background and thought." Why is "diversity in background and thought" a desirable characteristic for a medical school's student body? (250 words or less)"

I am really glad you posted these. I called and they said I was the fourth person to do so and they would be sending us emails once they figure out the issue.

One of the questions for the secondary is "Upon whom are you dependent for more than one half of your financial support?" (self, parent/guardian/spouse, or other). Are they referring to our financial support for undergrad or our expected financial support for future/medical school. I am on a full-tuition scholarship and pay room/board mostly by myself with some help from educational saving funds my parents set up, but after undergrad I will be completely on my own financially.

One of the questions for the secondary is "Upon whom are you dependent for more than one half of your financial support?" (self, parent/guardian/spouse, or other). Are they referring to our financial support for undergrad or our expected financial support for future/medical school. I am on a full-tuition scholarship and pay room/board mostly by myself with some help from educational saving funds my parents set up, but after undergrad I will be completely on my own financially.

I took this question as "what is your financial support like right now."

They changed the MLK one. Oh well. I'll scrap that pre-written essay.

Received and submitted. Good luck everyone!

Sweet, my code worked. Anyone have thoughts on if it's actually going to be a problem to copy over from Word? They seemed to take it pretty seriously but I SO don't want to re-write each essay in Notepad... o_O

Sweet, my code worked. Anyone have thoughts on if it's actually going to be a problem to copy over from Word? They seemed to take it pretty seriously but I SO don't want to re-write each essay in Notepad... o_O
Copy and paste into textedit/notepad: hold command + option + shift + V (on mac), when you paste, and you will paste text which will match the destination. AKA unformated text into the textedit/notepad. You can then copy and paste normally from textedit/notepad into the application server.

>>This might be helpful for windows peeps.

Reactions: 2 users
Loved my time here. Good luck to everyone applying :)

What specific things stuck out to you? Are you aware of any special experiences unique to OSU?
My class was great--I think the deans do a really good job of selecting well-rounded, personable people that you can easily get along with. This was my favorite part by far.

The city is great. The people are genuinely nice. OSU football made me a diehard college football fan. Dean Capers is my mancrush. Felt very prepared for shelves, Step 1, etc.

Put in the work here and you'll be awesome.

Reactions: 1 users
My class was great--I think the deans do a really good job of selecting well-rounded, personable people that you can easily get along with. This was my favorite part by far.

The city is great. The people are genuinely nice. OSU football made me a diehard college football fan. Dean Capers is my mancrush. Felt very prepared for shelves, Step 1, etc.

Awesome. Hopefully I am one of those personable people! Haha

And yeah I would definitely look forward to having them be my football team x)

Do you feel the school is supportive of all its students and their career plans? I heard (from an unreliable source possibly) they push primary care too much.

I might choose peds/IM anyways, but if I chose something else I would still want to feel supported.

Was anyone able to log into the VITALS page to check their application status with their activated log in?
It didn't work for me. I just tried logging back in to the application page after submitting last night, and I can't get in anymore because "my application code or birthdate is incorrect". Anyone else having this problem?

Was anyone able to log into the VITALS page to check their application status with their activated log in?

It didn't work for me. I just tried logging back in to the application page after submitting last night, and I can't get in anymore because "my application code or birthdate is incorrect". Anyone else having this problem?

OSU IT should send you another email (I got mine a day later) with the info you need.

lastname.# is the format of the username for me.

Oh, yeah I got that! I can log in to my.osu.edu, but is there a place to check on application status there?

Do you feel the school is supportive of all its students and their career plans? I heard (from an unreliable source possibly) they push primary care too much.

I might choose peds/IM anyways, but if I chose something else I would still want to feel supported.
Everyone is supported regardless of what they want to go into.

Whoever told you that has some bad intel.

Reactions: 2 users
Quick question for you guys as I'm brainstorming for this essay:
"OSU's mission.... is to "improve people's lives" through innovation in research, medical education, and patient care. Please describe how your past experiences predict your potential to contribute in two of these three areas. (250 words or less)"

How can an undergraduate have experience that qualifies them to contribute to medical education? Or even have the potential to do so? What sort of experiences would fit for that?
Also (and I know I'm stretching the meaning of the phrase a bit), could you spin "medical education" as educating patients, not just med students. Like patient education - about their health, disease, etc,? Or is that too much of a stretch?

Excited to apply here! Alma mater :)

"OSU's mission.... is to "improve people's lives" through innovation in research, medical education, and patient care. Please describe how your past experiences predict your potential to contribute in two of these three areas. (250 words or less)"

How can an undergraduate have experience that qualifies them to contribute to medical education? Or even have the potential to do so? What sort of experiences would fit for that?
Also (and I know I'm stretching the meaning of the phrase a bit), could you spin "medical education" as educating patients, not just med students. Like patient education - about their health, disease, etc,? Or is that too much of a stretch?

I think you're really overthinking this one, it's basically just like another how has your past experiences going to further our mission

I think you're really overthinking this one, it's basically just like another how has your past experiences going to further our mission
You might be under-thinking it, though? Read the prompt.

"How will your experiences predict your potential to contribute to __(medical education)__."

If you were going to answer this question, what would you say?

I didn't pick medical education, I just talked about the other two. But I thought maybe it meant your education in general

"How will your experiences predict your potential to contribute to __(medical education)__."

i think it's basically how have you proven to be a great student academically. And how will your learning skills help with you with your medical education

Have you been involved in teaching/tutoring/helping a classmate study for a test? Education comes in many different forms, and if you have experience doing it you can add to their mission via your past experiences.

I've sewn knowledge before and I'll do it again amongst the buckeye.

No I really don't think I'm under-thinking it. The question is asking you "How will your experiences predict your potential to contribute to two of these three areas?" Those areas they are talking about are their mission, "to improve lives through innovation in research, education, and patient care" So they are asking you how are you furthering their mission. That's all it is. I wrote about my experiences and how my potential can further two of three areas in their mission. I also wrote about patient care and research, I didn't talk about education at all. I don't have an education based background. The way I read this prompt was "how are you going to be innovative in furthering our mission? What have you done, in your experiences, that can contribute to being innovative in research, education, or patient care?

No I really don't think I'm under-thinking it. The question is asking you "How will your experiences predict your potential to contribute to two of these three areas?" Those areas they are talking about are their mission, "to improve lives through innovation in research, education, and patient care" So they are asking you how are you furthering their mission. That's all it is. I wrote about my experiences and how my potential can further two of three areas in their mission. I also wrote about patient care and research, I didn't talk about education at all. I don't have an education based background. The way I read this prompt was "how are you going to be innovative in furthering our mission? What have you done, in your experiences, that can contribute to being innovative in research, education, or patient care?
I understand what you're saying but you're still not answering my original question. What are examples of an applicant's experiences that could be given if they want to contribute to medical education? Take Teaching/TA/Tutoring for example. On the surface you're hitting education, yet it hardly qualifies as a good example in my opinion.
"I was a TA for gen chem and I know from that experience that I will be a good medical educator." - Like, seriously?

If you loosely define medical education, I can understand trying to spin it. But if we're talking about the education of medical students, I think its a silly question to ask. Almost no undergraduate would likely have any experience that could "predict their potential" to contribute to the education of other medical students. Hell, they haven't even been to medical school yet.

I understand what you're saying but you're still not answering my original question. What are examples of an applicant's experiences that could be given if they want to contribute to medical education? Take Teaching/TA/Tutoring for example. On the surface you're hitting education, yet it hardly qualifies as a good example in my opinion.
"I was a TA for gen chem and I know from that experience that I will be a good medical educator." If you loosely define medical education, I can understand trying to spin it. But if we're talking about the education of medical students, I think its a silly question to ask. Almost no undergraduate would likely have any experience that could "predict their potential" to contribute to the education of other medical students. Hell, they haven't even been to medical school yet.
Which is exactly why I chose research and patient care :laugh:. I agree, the medical education thing is a little weird

"I was a TA for gen chem and I know from that experience that I will be a good medical educator." - Like, seriously?

If you loosely define medical education, I can understand trying to spin it. But if we're talking about the education of medical students, I think its a silly question to ask. Almost no undergraduate would likely have any experience that could "predict their potential" to contribute to the education of other medical students. Hell, they haven't even been to medical school yet.
I don't think you necessarily have to talk about "medical education" so specifically but you should try and step back and think more than just education in terms of learning from textbooks or in the classrooms. What about life experiences you've had that can educate other people? The way you approach problems differently or the way you do xyz that can contribute to your peers? There are lessons we will learn in medical school that go beyond the textbook. I agree I think it's silly and that's why I chose to talk about research and patient care.