2017-2018 Ohio State University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there somewhere to choose the Primary Care Track? Or is our choice just made clear by whether or not we answer the essay questions pertaining to Primary Care Track? Thanks in advance for your help!

UPDATE 7/23/2017 AT 2:15PM (PACIFIC): Anyone have any ideas?
 
Last edited:
"*REQUIRED ESSAY FOR THOSE APPLYING TO REGULAR M.D., M.D./PhD AND THE PRIMARY CARE TRACK:
The mission statement of The Ohio State University College of Medicine is to "improve people's lives" through innovation in research, medical education, and patient care. Please describe how your past experiences predict your potential to contribute in two of these three areas. (250 words or less)


*REQUIRED ESSAY FOR THOSE APPLYING TO REGULAR M.D., M.D./PhD AND THE PRIMARY CARE TRACK:
The OSU COM Admissions vision statement states that the admissions committee will assemble a class that displays "diversity in background and thought." Why is "diversity in background and thought" a desirable characteristic for a medical school's student body? (250 words or less)"


Hey declar3d, do you know if there was some place on the application to indicate applying to the primary care track? or is it just by submitting answers to the primary care track essay questions?
 
Anyone having issues with the app not saving their second school? Every time I save it erases my second listed university. I've tried adding extra lines and I've tried a billion times.

I save, log out and back in to make sure it's there when I submit, and GONE

EDIT: nvm it's probably because i did them out of chronological order lmao
EDIT: NVM IT'S STILL DELETING MY MAIN SCHOOL
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted my secondary over a week ago (7/15) and my Vitals page is still reading as if I have not submitted my secondary. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm calling in tomorrow to ask...

upload_2017-7-24_18-19-19.png
 
@UnassumingToad Did you end up getting the Vitals email or calling them? I was complete around the same time as you and still haven't received Vitals info either
 
@UnassumingToad Did you end up getting the Vitals email or calling them? I was complete around the same time as you and still haven't received Vitals info either
I ended up getting a vitals email about 3 days later. I would call to be sure! It seems that there have been a number of technical difficulties this cycle.
 
Submitted secondary 2 days ago. Got an email saying my status changed but I need a password for Vitals Login.
 
Just got an "Ohio State Change of Status" email, but I don't see anything noteworthy in my Vitals account. Anyone else?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The confusion is real. I validated my OSU username (lastname.#) and cannot get into Vitals, which seems to only want your AMCAS ID as your username (?). Also, when I try to log back onto the site where the secondary is, it doesn't allow me to log in. I think there are just too many moving parts and am unsure of what usernames tie to specific sites, lol.
 
The confusion is real. I validated my OSU username (lastname.#) and cannot get into Vitals, which seems to only want your AMCAS ID as your username (?). Also, when I try to log back onto the site where the secondary is, it doesn't allow me to log in. I think there are just too many moving parts and am unsure of what usernames tie to specific sites, lol.

The same thing happened to me and I was super confused - I'm not sure what "validating" the username does but you can't log in to Vitals until they send you a separate email with all of your Vitals account information. I didn't get that email until a few weeks after I had submitted and paid for the secondary even though they don't really give you any notice that they still have to send you another email.
 
The same thing happened to me and I was super confused - I'm not sure what "validating" the username does but you can't log in to Vitals until they send you a separate email with all of your Vitals account information. I didn't get that email until a few weeks after I had submitted and paid for the secondary even though they don't really give you any notice that they still have to send you another email.

Thank you for clarifying this! I just want to know that I have submitted everything correctly.
 
when it asks if you signed up for selective service I put yes, but it asks for the # which I have no idea, can I leave it blank?
 
Is the 2nd essay meant to be sort of a diversity essay? The way I read it, it seems to just be asking why diversity is important to medical schools, rather than asking for what diversity I will contribute, which seems a little strange to me. Would be interested to hear how others approached this.
 
Is the 2nd essay meant to be sort of a diversity essay? The way I read it, it seems to just be asking why diversity is important to medical schools, rather than asking for what diversity I will contribute, which seems a little strange to me. Would be interested to hear how others approached this.


I think your interpretation is spot on. Why are medical schools seeking diversity and what makes that such an important element for training future physicians?
 
I understand what you're saying but you're still not answering my original question. What are examples of an applicant's experiences that could be given if they want to contribute to medical education? Take Teaching/TA/Tutoring for example. On the surface you're hitting education, yet it hardly qualifies as a good example in my opinion.
"I was a TA for gen chem and I know from that experience that I will be a good medical educator." - Like, seriously?

If you loosely define medical education, I can understand trying to spin it. But if we're talking about the education of medical students, I think its a silly question to ask. Almost no undergraduate would likely have any experience that could "predict their potential" to contribute to the education of other medical students. Hell, they haven't even been to medical school yet.

As I understand it, they are really not asking how I will contribute. They want to know what makes me think I can do it. I am in the exact same situation.I have been a tutor for a while now BUT even if my students are successful... this the only thing I can say is a predictor. is that enough? I mean if forming doctors were that easy we wouldn't be applying anywhere. I don't know if what I am supposed to include the how part and say: I have tutored-> have the skills to teach-> will contribute to medical education by teaching patients/future doctors. Would you mind sharing how you approached the question? Thank you!
 
In the secondary it says type your answers in a text editor to prevent formatting issues.

I at first didn't see this and had upside down ? for apostrophes. I then deleted this and did it in text editor, pasted it in and it worked fine. Everything looked fine when I saved and submitted. I just randomly looked at it today to use part of it for another prompt and those upside down ? are back....any one have this problem? Its very frustrating because I fixed it and it showed up as fixed but then came back after I submitted it so now it seems like I can't follow directions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What's the rule on how long they take to send out interview offers? Any anectodal evidence, or does it simply vary from person to person?

From looking through the thread from last year, it seemed they sent out IIs to OOS students first, potentially so they were able to make travel plans in advance. Besides that I'm not too sure!
 
how long did it take you guys to get that vitals login stuff? I got an email saying thanks for applying etc. and to check my status but no login info so I'm confused, I submitted 8/5
 
Im confused what this means I made my vitals account today and it told me I was complete before I got this email
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 4.30.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 4.30.20 PM.png
    24 KB · Views: 245
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I submitted my secondary on 8/8, then activated my OSU account on 8/9, then created my Vitals account on 8/12... From what I'm understanding, is Vitals the only portal that we should worry about?

and for the people with II, should we just check Vitals periodically to look for updates/II?
Thanks so much! Just a very confused premed
 
So I submitted my secondary on 8/8, then activated my OSU account on 8/9, then created my Vitals account on 8/12... From what I'm understanding, is Vitals the only portal that we should worry about?

and for the people with II, should we just check Vitals periodically to look for updates/II?
Thanks so much! Just a very confused premed
I still haven't received an email from them about my II, it was only in the portal. I bet they'll start sending emails for later batches of invites though.