You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Pennsylvania State University
Started by Lucca
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is the difference between the Hershey and the University Park program curriculums? Is it just a difference of location?
One has a lot more chocolate.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Based on last years thread, Penn State took a while to send out secondaries
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Any current students or alumni willing to say something about Penn State, in terms of strengths of this school or how well the curriculum prepares students for the board exams?
MSII here. I think strengths include: P/F first two years, early clinical experience (as opposed to just exposure) = you actually get to do interviews, physicals, history etc, really easy to get involved in research (at least for me), large focus on student wellness (tons of "free" time), global health program is cool, large academic hospital (lvl 1 trauma), largest hospital in central penn = you'll see lots of different stuff, admin listens to student concerns and are quick to implement changes.
I haven't taken boards yet, but there's mixed reviews. I personally would never rely only on the school to be preparing me for the boards. People go to great schools and do bad on boards, or "bad" schools and do great on boards. Its really individual. That being said, they don't teach straight out of first aid or teach just boards information. One change they made for my year is that we'll be taking step 1 after our third year. Apparently this works really well at others schools and peoples scores either go up or at least stay the same because of all the clinical application and experience you get from rotations. I guess we'll see what happens. DM me if you have any more specific questions.
What is the difference between the Hershey and the University Park program curriculums? Is it just a difference of location?
I haven't heard too many specifics. But I had a quick chat with the dean this week and there ARE definite differences. I wouldn't be worried about it though. They've had 3rd/4th years up there for a long time. It may be a better atmosphere for younger college students as opposed to Hershey which is much quieter, with significantly less night life. I think the facilities may be better at the Hershey campus (huge academic center, lvl 1 trauma etc) but don't quote me on that.
As I said above I'm an MSII here and really enjoyed my first year. If anyone has questions feel free to message me. As a disclaimer, I'm not on SDN super often but I'll do what I can.
thank you!
I haven't gotten one yet either
Secondary! Does this university screen?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Secondary! Does this university screen?
Mind dishing out the prompts?
Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)
Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine. (Maximum 75 words)
Please write a short paragraph describing a significant experience you have had working in a team setting. (Maximum 250 words)
Briefly describe an experience where you had to navigate a complex system (e.g. personal experience, group activity, or development of a project) to achieve an end. Reflect on the qualities and attributes required by you to achieve success in this experience. (Maximum 250 words)
Here you go!
Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine. (Maximum 75 words)
Please write a short paragraph describing a significant experience you have had working in a team setting. (Maximum 250 words)
Briefly describe an experience where you had to navigate a complex system (e.g. personal experience, group activity, or development of a project) to achieve an end. Reflect on the qualities and attributes required by you to achieve success in this experience. (Maximum 250 words)
Here you go!
Dang, 75 and 250 word maximums? Gonna be hard to condense thingsIs there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)
Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine. (Maximum 75 words)
Please write a short paragraph describing a significant experience you have had working in a team setting. (Maximum 250 words)
Briefly describe an experience where you had to navigate a complex system (e.g. personal experience, group activity, or development of a project) to achieve an end. Reflect on the qualities and attributes required by you to achieve success in this experience. (Maximum 250 words)
Here you go!
Dang, 75 and 250 word maximums? Gonna be hard to condense things
Yea I know right? Don't worry if you guys haven't received anything yet. There's an IT issue on the application, I'm unable to fill anything out. I called to report this, and they're in the middle of fixing it. Plus everyone gets a secondary.
Secondary! Does this university screen?
They send the secondary to all applicants.
I haven't gotten one yet either![]()
I haven't received one either...
I haven't received one either...
everyone gets one, so I wouldnt look too much into it
When was your amcas app verified?got mdphd secondary
6/1When was your amcas app verified?
You guys have any idea what they are looking for on the first question?
- Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Secondary received!
Thoughts on applying as an OOS student with a 506 MCAT?
They're technically a private school, so there's no in-state preference.Thoughts on applying as an OOS student with a 506 MCAT?
Technically you are correct. Percent wise though, ~23% of IS that apply are given interviews, whereas OOS is ~8%.They're technically a private school, so there's no in-state preference.
Thoughts on applying as an OOS student with a 506 MCAT?
Technically you are correct. Percent wise though, ~23% of IS that apply are given interviews, whereas OOS is ~8%.
If I recall, my class is slightly above 50% In state. Its definitely worth it to apply as OOS
Complete 

.
Last edited:
Has anyone else not received the secondary?
57 primaries...damn son
.
Last edited:
I have not received one yet.Has anyone else not received the secondary?
I'm having the same issue.. I emailed them about it Thursday but haven't heard back yetis anyone else having an issue with submitting the app? like the button to check off the "I certify...." on the submit app page isn't working for some reason
D
deleted861177
also haven't received their secondary. have you received it yet as of today?Has anyone else not received the secondary?
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.
Last edited:
.
Last edited:
have u been able to resolve it yet?I'm having the same issue.. I emailed them about it Thursday but haven't heard back yet
hoping to get the secondary today, this is one of my top choices!